Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

actually, I wish they made a combat knife as an upgrade to the hunting knife. I dont like the animations of the machete. just feels off to me. more like a sabre than a machete. and yes, I know the feel of both, used both before for many years

i can agree with that, i personally think the shiv and hunting knife should get bonuses only from huntsman and combat knife paired with  the machete or instead of a combat knife it could be machete then like a sword of some kind get bonuses from deep cut, but i noticed with the melee weapons with the exception of the stun baton they like to keep them in 3s, so if it was implemented i would do shiv, hunting, combat in the huntsman, then makeshift machete, machete, broadsword for deep cuts, lol

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

If you have space to move, knives work beautifully against zombies. Stab, either power attack or normal, and then side step while backpedaling. If against a single zombie a sprinting power attack to the head does wonders. Against hostile wildlife.... Not so much.

i hear that, but it is rather fun none the less

40 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

If you have space to move, knives work beautifully against zombies. Stab, either power attack or normal, and then side step while backpedaling. If against a single zombie a sprinting power attack to the head does wonders. Against hostile wildlife.... Not so much.

shiv or knife + ergonomic grip + weighted head mod = quick kills even on a dire wolf, maybe 5 quick hits to the head. other than the durability mods, not much else stacks with them.

Just now, wolfbain5 said:

shiv or knife + ergonomic grip + weighted head mod = quick kills even on a dire wolf, maybe 5 quick hits to the head. other than the durability mods, not much else stacks with them.

Still looking for the schematic and haven't had ergos drop yet. The steel for them won't be an issue when/if I find the schematic, lucked out and found a crucible in Hugh's forge. To be fair, dire wolves have nothing on mountain lions (They seem to soak as much as bears and hit just as hard along with being faster and their pounce. Watching them tear up lumberjack zombies is fun). Those kitties hurt allot if you let get them too close.

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

actually, I wish they made a combat knife as an upgrade to the hunting knife. I dont like the animations of the machete. just feels off to me. more like a sabre than a machete. and yes, I know the feel of both, used both before for many years

Combat knife as T3 knife maybe

To my understanding, bone shiv is primitive, machete is T2

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Kalen said:

How is it wrong?  It came from TFP, it's linked in XML.txt

as far as I know, they have t1-t3, always been that way, well, at least for  the last few years. havent seen a t0 announcement yet. could be wrong for a19, and if I am gazz or mm or even roland will correct me.

6 minutes ago, Kalen said:

How is it wrong?  It came from TFP, it's linked in XML.txt

The steel spear is labeled T3 in the XMLs

<item name="meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear"> 

Edit:  I think the confusing part is there are inconsistencies with labeling in the XMLs.  In general, there are 3 tiers to every weapon/armor/tool type.  Some are slightly different like pistols where SMG and DV are both considered T3 I believe.  Another example: Stone Sledge (T1/Primitive) > Iron Sledge (T2) > Steel Sledge (T3)

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

as far as I know, they have t1-t3, always been that way, well, at least for  the last few years. havent seen a t0 announcement yet. could be wrong for a19, and if I am gazz or mm or even roland will correct me.

Just now, Laz Man said:

The steel spear is labeled T3 in the XMLs

<item name="meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear"> 

it is, so are several other melee.... however, they're all in the T2 lootgroup

<lootgroup name="groupWeaponsT2_Melee" loot_quality_template="QLTemplateT2">
    <item name="meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnClubT3SteelClub"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnSledgeT3SteelSledgehammer"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnKnucklesT3SteelKnuckles"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnBladeT3Machete"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnBatonT2StunBaton"/>

it is, so are several other melee.... however, they're all in the T2 lootgroup

<lootgroup name="groupWeaponsT2_Melee" loot_quality_template="QLTemplateT2">
    <item name="meleeWpnSpearT3SteelSpear"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnClubT3SteelClub"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnSledgeT3SteelSledgehammer"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnKnucklesT3SteelKnuckles"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnBladeT3Machete"/>
    <item name="meleeWpnBatonT2StunBaton"/>

How about we conclude with both arguments being correct? Technically, the melee weapons go in the following phases: T1, T2, and T3, with the Stun Baton being the exception (which is T2). However, with the primitive age, such weapons could also be labeled as going from T0-T2. The non-craftable variants start to drop in the T2 category.

• Like 1

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

How about we conclude with both arguments being correct? Technically, the melee weapons go in the following phases: T1, T2, and T3, with the Stun Baton being the exception (which is T2). However, with the primitive age, such weapons could also be labeled as going from T0-T2. The non-craftable variants start to drop in the T2 category.

Heh, fine with me.... at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what you label them.

As TFP have added more weapons to the game, the tier lists keep getting resorted. I suspect there's some inconsistencies in the documentation. Since we know pipe weapons are coming, we can reason that tools and firearms will have 4 tiers, and most melee weapons will have 3. 

To eliminate confusion, going back to the first argument, I suggest we label the 3 tiers of weapons (ex. wooden club, baseball bat, steel club) as V1, V2, and V3 (or version 1, 2, and 3).

Because it makes sense - there are 3 tiers to a melee weapon (minus the Stun Baton), but now there is a T0 tech age, it would be weird to label them as Tiers 1, 2, and 3, or Tiers 0, 1, and 2, since there are no primitive guns other than the blunderbuss (yet), and the first variant of melee weapons are obviously primitives. This would cause some head scratching over why there aren't any T3 melee weapons, since the highest tier ones would now be labeled as T2. Hence, let's just call progression tree of melee "V1, V2, and V3".

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

To eliminate confusion, going back to the first argument, I suggest we label the 3 tiers of weapons (ex. wooden club, baseball bat, steel club) as V1, V2, and V3 (or version 1, 2, and 3).

Because it makes sense - there are 3 tiers to a melee weapon (minus the Stun Baton), but now there is a T0 tech age, it would be weird to label them as Tiers 1, 2, and 3, or Tiers 0, 1, and 2, since there are no primitive guns other than the blunderbuss (yet), and the first variant of melee weapons are obviously primitives. This would cause some head scratching over why there aren't any T3 melee weapons, since the highest tier ones would now be labeled as T2. Hence, let's just call progression tree of melee "V1, V2, and V3".

I just assumed since they're adding T0 ranged weapons they'll, at some point, add T3 melee weapons.

I just assumed since they're adding T0 ranged weapons they'll, at some point, add T3 melee weapons.

That's the thing: T3 melee weapons are already in the game, they just drop in the T2 age. Back in A18, where the rest of the melee weapons were introduced, there was no T0; not really. The blunderbuss was its own thing and, back then, we heard nothing about pipe weapons (or T0 guns) being added. So guns will be Tiers 0-3, and melee is Tiers 1-3, or they could also be T 0-2. It's a slight inconsistency. Understand? :)

• Confused 1

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic