Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

Don't know if this common or not... but with the introduction of the circle for digging, I expect the buried supplies to be in the circle... not outside of it?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aero said:

Don't know if this common or not... but with the introduction of the circle for digging, I expect the buried supplies to be in the circle... not outside of it?

A visual example of what you're talking about (Happened to me yesterday):

A19.0_2020-08-28_15-55-16.thumb.jpg.edb58b4e1082fef83ea2b819ccebefd4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

A visual example of what you're talking about (Happened to me yesterday):

A19.0_2020-08-28_15-55-16.thumb.jpg.edb58b4e1082fef83ea2b819ccebefd4.jpg

Same thing happened to me today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

all i want to do is piss in the Garden.... just me?

Lmao. It's a great garden to do it in haha. Just don't do it in the maze, you may get lost. Although, stepping over the edge is always an option! haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

A visual example of what you're talking about (Happened to me yesterday):

A19.0_2020-08-28_15-55-16.thumb.jpg.edb58b4e1082fef83ea2b819ccebefd4.jpg

Technically, it's inside the circle. Sometimes we forget the world is still made with 1m x 1m blocks and the circle is tangent to the block under which you can see the buried treasure, so...

 

Oh, I forgot to add... and stealth is perfectly working! :bounce:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Technically, it's inside the circle. Sometimes we forget the world is still made with 1m x 1m blocks and the circle is tangent to the block under which you can see the buried treasure, so...

This was second or third circle reduction, I forget exactly which. I'd been digging under the circle when I'd encountered the supply chest right on its edge and returned to the surface to dig this hole when I did. The search tunnel is under the topsoil and a hair to my left in the image, in line with the chest's long edge.

Usual procedure for me is to line up the chest symbol on the compass with one of the cardinals, dig a ramp towards the circle till I'm able to stand while under the topsoil layer(I'll start the ramp 3-4 blocks out from the circle), dig across till I encounter the opposite side or an adjusted edge (from the circle shrinking), reference the curve of the visible edges to find the rough mid point between the edges and dig towards the farthest curve's cardinal on the compass making a T, repeat in that tunnel if I hit the other edge.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have said before how I like to farm resources at quest POIs.  Sometimes clay and stone, or whatever nodes are on the property, before I start a quest.  This time I was after some metal... ...

 

Easy 5,000 iron, and I only had to deal with a near endless number of screamers, lel....

 

 

towerfall1.jpg

towerfall2.jpg

towerfall3.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stealth is cool, hope it gets some nice little buffs since it is a lot more situational than other skills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hiemfire said:

You do realize that the first line in your reply to @VenomsLust amounts to "Don't even bother."?

Maybe for you but not me.  Partial stealth still has its value.  Less ammo consumption, more methodical room clearing.  Reduces situations where the player aggros too many zeds at once and also reduces the chance of falling into traps (e.g. trap floor boards, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 Devs, I have a quick question about the X-rays in the hospital. Is it me or does the X-ray on the right have a serious bowel blockage? 💩

Asking for a friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

all i want to do is piss in the Garden.... just me?

I mean it's a big enough space that an old dog like you could mark ur territory all over it and and still feel the need to just mark one more bush 😛 And no, your're not alone, I did it first chance I got!

 

 

Edited by Laynie
My net made me post it 3 times :P because once just wasn't enough... (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Maybe for you but not me.  Partial stealth still has its value.  Less ammo consumption, more methodical room clearing.  Reduces situations where the player aggros too many zeds at once and also reduces the chance of falling into traps (e.g. trap floor boards, etc.)

You seem to be looking at it as if it is a cool side thing that can sort of be done but not something you build your character around. I see stealth as the core foundation of how I play, even with picking up perks from other attribute trees. If that core foundation is neutralized by a Deus Ex Machina bypass (aka 15 + levels worth of investment mean nothing because that chokepoint you just snuck into with no way out other than breaking or building while being attacked because the developers decided to go  "Nope, sneaking doesn't work here." with no indication leading into section that this is the case), that isn't horde night, which iirc they're looking into adjusting so that a stealth build has some functionality, then it makes building around stealth the rough equivalent of brushing your teeth with a belt sander. The game is actively telling players on their first run through these POIs that they are not supposed to use stealth by rendering their attempts pointless with the auto aggro volumes because stealth will not work.

 

I like how @faatal's suggestion read and hope it makes it into the game so that I can see it first hand and see if it is worth trying to build with stealthing as a character foundation if the suggestion is implemented. If it doesn't make it in then I hope they share the "love" and add in my attribute suppressing aura zombie suggestion. Why just mess with the core of stealth builds, mess with everyone's favorite builds' foundations equally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, madmole said:

I don't know for sure, but my vote is no, all new zeds and content need pushed to A20 for maximum impact of A20, and A19 should only get MF's at this point.

Rick wants to keep quiet about new stuff and we'll do dev streams when stuff is ready to show through the whole cycle of A20 rather than overload you guys all at the end.

Well i can live with it, if the nightclub lady gets pushed back.

 

Heck yes. I loved the Dev Streams from you guys. Especially when you and Rick were there together with Prime.

Lots of information and maybe more important: Insight in the "why" of your guys decicions.

Loved it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Toban said:

Hey @madmole, I took some of your advice with this new castle and broke up some of the walls so they don't just have the same texture. I also put some nice curves into the walls and I think it made for a very nice looking castle. If you have time, take a look and let me know what you think. Cheers from Lee.

 

P.S, I appreciate your time is limited so if you have time, watch my pretend drone view from  0:51 to 1:44 to get an overhead view.

 

 

Wow, this is a huge improvement in creativity, texture use, layout, geometry than your last one. GREAT work! I love castles that have various heights of towers and asymmetrical designs. Nice job!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I've noticed that we get an "abnormally" greater amount of military armor parts than any other kind of gear parts. Or maybe this is but a coincidence on my end? 😛 (Note: This is just an observation, nothing more.)
 

7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-29_6_05_56_AM.thumb.png.fa7d71c1211e3d1942bbbf3ff72f1ca4.png

 

Also, if this doesn't prove that I have a manic condition for hoarding, I don't know what does.

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-29_6_06_28_AM.thumb.png.a911567937543c0322cc6c8d23e9d64e.png

 

 

Today playing, I thought the same. In a new POI of shotun messiah I took 12 units of amount of military, it seemed a lot to me having my loot at 50.

The funny thing about all this, since we have military armor, I always opted for it, it seems the best to me.

This alpha I said "Let's go for the steel, of course we do" I could barely make a breastplate. I can't find any steel parts! Hahaha

4 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

finally some suspense :) that'll kill'm faster then the zombie bears.

 

I think you noticed it the way I did. I think they increased the damage of those Z bears. Hahaha.

They hit interestingly hard: B And his yellow eyes, at night, it is very scary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 3:55 PM, madmole said:

It probably isn't 100% done but I'm pretty sure you haven't played an intellect build and you are just saying this from reading the perk trees and have zero actual experience playing it.

dude I've played intellect tree and it's painted as the crafter skill tree and it's useless. better barter is what makes that tree decent. funny you saying that im just reading the perk trees when basically the past 2 alphas have been about getting perks. like why wouldn't anyone read the perk tree for the skills since you yourself have said the perks help alot.  you even talk about go out and loot and get perks but if you are out looting and doing quests and using the trader you can get all the stuff intellect perks unlock. getting a tiny bit of experience from traps and using a little less resources isn't something special. 

 

I know you are super defensive over any kind of criticism especially when asked legitimate questions  that have some criticism in it.

  • Poop 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I've noticed that we get an "abnormally" greater amount of military armor parts than any other kind of gear parts. Or maybe this is but a coincidence on my end? 😛 (Note: This is just an observation, nothing more.)
 

7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-29_6_05_56_AM.thumb.png.fa7d71c1211e3d1942bbbf3ff72f1ca4.png

 

Also, if this doesn't prove that I have a manic condition for hoarding, I don't know what does.

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-29_6_06_28_AM.thumb.png.a911567937543c0322cc6c8d23e9d64e.png

 

I like a neat box! And we are getting a lot of those military armor parts too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madmole said:

Wow, this is a huge improvement in creativity, texture use, layout, geometry than your last one. GREAT work! I love castles that have various heights of towers and asymmetrical designs. Nice job!

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with some of the shapes. I agree this castle looks better than the last one. I think by developing the surrounding area too it made it stand out. I can't believe it's the Navezgane corn field. I think the tree's transformed the setting for it and the barn really adds to the overall look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the military armor parts...I agree. We save all of our ‘parts’ in a parts box, rarely using any since we just buy the armor and weapons or just find them. We always have between 2 and 4 times as many armor parts than any other armor or weapon parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Toban said:

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with some of the shapes. I agree this castle looks better than the last one. I think by developing the surrounding area too it made it stand out. I can't believe it's the Navezgane corn field. I think the tree's transformed the setting for it and the barn really adds to the overall look. 

This set took so Effin long lol It felt like we were doing it for years 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Except a good melee or club/sledge build can brute force POIs and use ZERO resources while the stealth build still needs to use arrows/bolts and search for feathers and craft arrowheads and so on while also having the disadvantage of being useless when volume triggers activate. Is that convincing enough for you?

You're really buttburt that others like to play different than you lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that finding the same tools etc. can have different specs.

 

What I don't understand is, how a lvl 1 wrench can have better specs then a lvl 2 one (except for durability).

 

The specs of a certain lvl has to be between 2 values, but they shouldn't be worse then the lvl below it, or higher then the lvl above it.

 

As an example, if you find a lvl 1 wrench, let's say the block damage can be between 30 and 40. If you would find a lvl 2, the block damage shouldn't be able to be lower then 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slingblade2040 said:

dude I've played intellect tree and it's painted as the crafter skill tree and it's useless. better barter is what makes that tree decent. funny you saying that im just reading the perk trees when basically the past 2 alphas have been about getting perks. like why wouldn't anyone read the perk tree for the skills since you yourself have said the perks help alot.  you even talk about go out and loot and get perks but if you are out looting and doing quests and using the trader you can get all the stuff intellect perks unlock. getting a tiny bit of experience from traps and using a little less resources isn't something special. 

 

I know you are super defensive over any kind of criticism especially when asked legitimate questions  that have some criticism in it.

 

Intellect needs a starter weapon of some kind, but it has a lot of good stuff.  It is my favorite attribute atm. 

 

It is really all about that robotic sledge though, if you have not tried 2 of them yet, lol.  They are so amazing. 

 

50% extra steel and 25% extra concrete is not bad either if you max out advanced engineering, if you are a builder. 

 

Charismatic nature needs a change, it is either useless or super OP. 

 

Daring adventurer is okay, but probably overkill with barter maxed and not really worth it. 

 

Med skills are not bad for extra healing and I think are the only way to craft some of those buff items. 

 

 

Seriously though, a fully modded out robotic sledge is the difference between intel being meh or great.  Try it if you have not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Except a good melee or club/sledge build can brute force POIs and use ZERO resources while the stealth build still needs to use arrows/bolts and search for feathers and craft arrowheads and so on while also having the disadvantage of being useless when volume triggers activate. Is that convincing enough for you?

Just because you put points into stealth it doesn't ban you from using anything other than stealth things. You can put exactly 0 points into any other weapon and be able to use and kill stuff with it (and 1 point, which you can do at any level, will improve it obviously). If you're hardcore roleplaying Robin Hood + Splinter Cell then that's your own gimp lol. Just as well, if you trigger sleepers, your bow isn't useless if you be agile and utilize hit and run tactics / kite them around. Stealth doesn't have to mean you're Sam Fisher, it just reduces the noise you make and light you project.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Technically, it's inside the circle. Sometimes we forget the world is still made with 1m x 1m blocks and the circle is tangent to the block under which you can see the buried treasure, so...

 

Oh, I forgot to add... and stealth is perfectly working! :bounce:

Technically if the chest is on the edge of the circle And you want to count that as being included then the line should be solid and not dashed.  Immersion blown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...