Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Wow, this is a huge improvement in creativity, texture use, layout, geometry than your last one. GREAT work! I love castles that have various heights of towers and asymmetrical designs. Nice job!

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with some of the shapes. I agree this castle looks better than the last one. I think by developing the surrounding area too it made it stand out. I can't believe it's the Navezgane corn field. I think the tree's transformed the setting for it and the barn really adds to the overall look. 

On the military armor parts...I agree. We save all of our ‘parts’ in a parts box, rarely using any since we just buy the armor and weapons or just find them. We always have between 2 and 4 times as many armor parts than any other armor or weapon parts.

22 minutes ago, Toban said:

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with some of the shapes. I agree this castle looks better than the last one. I think by developing the surrounding area too it made it stand out. I can't believe it's the Navezgane corn field. I think the tree's transformed the setting for it and the barn really adds to the overall look. 

This set took so Effin long lol It felt like we were doing it for years 🤣

I like that finding the same tools etc. can have different specs.

What I don't understand is, how a lvl 1 wrench can have better specs then a lvl 2 one (except for durability).

The specs of a certain lvl has to be between 2 values, but they shouldn't be worse then the lvl below it, or higher then the lvl above it.

As an example, if you find a lvl 1 wrench, let's say the block damage can be between 30 and 40. If you would find a lvl 2, the block damage shouldn't be able to be lower then 40.

1 hour ago, Slingblade2040 said:

dude I've played intellect tree and it's painted as the crafter skill tree and it's useless. better barter is what makes that tree decent. funny you saying that im just reading the perk trees when basically the past 2 alphas have been about getting perks. like why wouldn't anyone read the perk tree for the skills since you yourself have said the perks help alot.  you even talk about go out and loot and get perks but if you are out looting and doing quests and using the trader you can get all the stuff intellect perks unlock. getting a tiny bit of experience from traps and using a little less resources isn't something special. 

I know you are super defensive over any kind of criticism especially when asked legitimate questions  that have some criticism in it.

Intellect needs a starter weapon of some kind, but it has a lot of good stuff.  It is my favorite attribute atm. 

It is really all about that robotic sledge though, if you have not tried 2 of them yet, lol.  They are so amazing. 

50% extra steel and 25% extra concrete is not bad either if you max out advanced engineering, if you are a builder. 

Charismatic nature needs a change, it is either useless or super OP. 

Daring adventurer is okay, but probably overkill with barter maxed and not really worth it. 

Med skills are not bad for extra healing and I think are the only way to craft some of those buff items. 

Seriously though, a fully modded out robotic sledge is the difference between intel being meh or great.  Try it if you have not. 

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Except a good melee or club/sledge build can brute force POIs and use ZERO resources while the stealth build still needs to use arrows/bolts and search for feathers and craft arrowheads and so on while also having the disadvantage of being useless when volume triggers activate. Is that convincing enough for you?

Just because you put points into stealth it doesn't ban you from using anything other than stealth things. You can put exactly 0 points into any other weapon and be able to use and kill stuff with it (and 1 point, which you can do at any level, will improve it obviously). If you're hardcore roleplaying Robin Hood + Splinter Cell then that's your own gimp lol. Just as well, if you trigger sleepers, your bow isn't useless if you be agile and utilize hit and run tactics / kite them around. Stealth doesn't have to mean you're Sam Fisher, it just reduces the noise you make and light you project.

5 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Technically, it's inside the circle. Sometimes we forget the world is still made with 1m x 1m blocks and the circle is tangent to the block under which you can see the buried treasure, so...

Oh, I forgot to add... and stealth is perfectly working! :bounce:

Technically if the chest is on the edge of the circle And you want to count that as being included then the line should be solid and not dashed.  Immersion blown. 

47 minutes ago, Aero said:

I like that finding the same tools etc. can have different specs.

What I don't understand is, how a lvl 1 wrench can have better specs then a lvl 2 one (except for durability).

The specs of a certain lvl has to be between 2 values, but they shouldn't be worse then the lvl below it, or higher then the lvl above it.

As an example, if you find a lvl 1 wrench, let's say the block damage can be between 30 and 40. If you would find a lvl 2, the block damage shouldn't be able to be lower then 40.

This was already discussed in the previous alpha when it was applied. 
It will not be modified just because you do not want to look a little more to find a better key than the two you already have. 
If you really rely on that. 
Otherwise, if you have a lot of repair kits, you can keep the lvl 1 one, if not opt for the lvl 2 one which will last a little longer. 
-Cheers and I hope I didn't sound rude

1 hour ago, Slingblade2040 said:

dude I've played intellect tree and it's painted as the crafter skill tree and it's useless. better barter is what makes that tree decent. funny you saying that im just reading the perk trees when basically the past 2 alphas have been about getting perks. like why wouldn't anyone read the perk tree for the skills since you yourself have said the perks help alot.  you even talk about go out and loot and get perks but if you are out looting and doing quests and using the trader you can get all the stuff intellect perks unlock. getting a tiny bit of experience from traps and using a little less resources isn't something special. 

I know you are super defensive over any kind of criticism especially when asked legitimate questions  that have some criticism in it.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Intellect tree is useless. I'd say Intellect is one of, if not the strongest trees currently (as a stand-alone build). 

3 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

This was already discussed in the previous alpha when it was applied. 
It will not be modified just because you do not want to look a little more to find a better key than the two you already have. 
If you really rely on that. 
Otherwise, if you have a lot of repair kits, you can keep the lvl 1 one, if not opt for the lvl 2 one which will last a little longer. 
-Cheers and I hope I didn't sound rude

You didn't sound rude, it's sounds more like you didn't understand what I said.

I think a higher lvl item should always have higher or at least the same lvl of dmg then a lower lvl.

And I can't remember having this with A18. If it was the same as now, then I didn't notice it or never had this happen. Since it happened now for me, I 'ask' about it now.

11 minutes ago, VenomsLust said:

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Intellect tree is useless. I'd say Intellect is one of, if not the strongest trees currently (as a stand-alone build). 

For sure. The stun baton may be a little harder to find but it's damn powerful when specced into.

@madmole

question, why does the smoothie... made with ice... give hypothermal resist <resistance to cold>, instead of hyperthermal resist <resistance to heat>? we have coffee to resist cold with.

edit: yucca juice used to give some heat resistance buff, but not anymore, so we have no foods to help with heat, but stews and coffee to fight the cold

55 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Just because you put points into stealth it doesn't ban you from using anything other than stealth things. You can put exactly 0 points into any other weapon and be able to use and kill stuff with it (and 1 point, which you can do at any level, will improve it obviously). If you're hardcore roleplaying Robin Hood + Splinter Cell then that's your own gimp lol. Just as well, if you trigger sleepers, your bow isn't useless if you be agile and utilize hit and run tactics / kite them around. Stealth doesn't have to mean you're Sam Fisher, it just reduces the noise you make and light you project.

Jugg, I think you missed the point on this.

Currently, the Core of the build (Stealth) can be nullified, and is currently the only Core build that can be nullified. (thus, the only Core build that you get forced to use aspects of another build)

Granted, during Blood Moon this makes sense, given the nature of Blood Moon.

And it's not so much that there exists situations where Stealth can't be used, it makes sense to have some at least. It's more that those situations seem to be increasing.

If it gets to the point where it's useful occasionally, then it's not useful and not viable as a Core build.

(Not that anyone would, but...) Play a SP game and make Charismatic Nature the Core of your build... Points well spent!  :)

In this whole thing, I'm not talking about it as if there were only a couple points spent in Stealth, but more like: 5/5 Stealth, all Padded armor, each piece has Adv. Muffled Connectors, and most of the Nightstalker/Urban Combat books learned.

19 minutes ago, Aero said:

I think a higher lvl item should always have higher or at least the same lvl of dmg then a lower lvl.

And I can't remember having this with A18. If it was the same as now, then I didn't notice it or never had this happen. Since it happened now for me, I 'ask' about it now.

Overlapping ranges was (AFAIK) already in A17. And considering it survived 2 alphas it will probably stay.

22 minutes ago, Aero said:

Yes I get it. Only what I answered, is the answer why your level 2 is worse than 1.
 They are random specifications so that you never stop looking for something better,
 it is a way to encourage you not to stay with what you can manufacture. 
From that branch came down what we can only craft up to a maximum level 5 and 6 you must find it. 
We say again about "Get out, loot, don't keep digging in the bottom" 
Apart from the satisfaction of finding better statistics and higher levels, more applicable mods.
 And yes, it was implemented in alpha 18 with weapons and tools. 
I will not answer more because it is an old issue and another alpha. 
I hope I've helped
15 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

@madmole

question, why does the smoothie... made with ice... give hypothermal resist <resistance to cold>, instead of hyperthermal resist <resistance to heat>? we have coffee to resist cold with.

edit: yucca juice used to give some heat resistance buff, but not anymore, so we have no foods to help with heat, but stews and coffee to fight the cold

I think you already asked a few weeks ago and was hoping someone would give an answer.

You're right, the shake used to help us with the heat (Yuca / desert)

And now with the Cold? :s

2 minutes ago, VenomsLust said:

Jugg, I think you missed the point on this.

Currently, the Core of the build (Stealth) can be nullified, and is currently the only Core build that can be nullified. (thus, the only Core build that you get forced to use aspects of another build)

Granted, during Blood Moon this makes sense, given the nature of Blood Moon.

And it's not so much that there exists situations where Stealth can't be used, it makes sense to have some at least. It's more that those situations seem to be increasing.

If it gets to the point where it's useful occasionally, then it's not useful and not viable as a Core build.

(Not that anyone would, but...) Play a SP game and make Charismatic Nature the Core of your build... Points well spent!  :)

In this whole thing, I'm not talking about it as if there were only a couple points spent in Stealth, but more like: 5/5 Stealth, all Padded armor, each piece has Adv. Muffled Connectors, and most of the Nightstalker/Urban Combat books learned.

The pistols, especially the Desert Vulture, are so good I don't see why you think you are forced to use aspects of another build. INT on the other hand does rely on using guns from other builds and that is its most powerful feature.

That stealth may be too perk-expensive is something I could agree with.

8 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

Yes I get it. Only what I answered, is the answer why your level 2 is worse than 1.
 They are random specifications so that you never stop looking for something better,
 it is a way to encourage you not to stay with what you can manufacture. 
From that branch came down what we can only craft up to a maximum level 5 and 6 you must find it. 
We say again about "Get out, loot, don't keep digging in the bottom" 
Apart from the satisfaction of finding better statistics and higher levels, more applicable mods.
 And yes, it was implemented in alpha 18 with weapons and tools. 
I will not answer more because it is an old issue and another alpha. 
I hope I've helped

I think you already asked a few weeks ago and was hoping someone would give an answer.

You're right, the shake used to help us with the heat (Yuca / desert)

And now with the Cold? :s

I did, but sometimes he misses them when he skips, and sometimes he forgets, and since it was weeks ago, thought I would ask again

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

The pistols, especially the Desert Vulture, are so good I don't see why you think you are forced to use aspects of another build. INT on the other hand does rely on using guns from other builds and that is its most powerful feature.

Intellect only relies on the other stuff in the early game, sadly. After that no...

32 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I do not think most people really have a problem with stealth.  Stealth works fine if you accept that scripted aggro in POIs is intended. 

The problem is that "from the shadows" does not really do much of anything.  I can do stealth just fine on a strength build with a shotgun. 

So if you pump hidden strike and from the shadows, as I did at the start of my agility build, you quickly realize that most of the time you are just a guy with a level 1 bow and those points were wasted, heh. 

Parkour, pistols, bows and run and gun are all pretty great though, for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, pregnable said:

I do not think most people really have a problem with stealth.  Stealth works fine if you accept that scripted aggro in POIs is intended. 

If you only consider things that make stealth more difficult (or impossible to use) then yes, you're right.

But there are still more bugs in A19 that actually make stealth too easy in several situations.

When I'm criticizing how stealth works in A19 at least I try to be fair, I ask they fix both exploits that give advantages to us and loopholes that make stealth unusable.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived