madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

46 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

You're missing which behavior is unintended. Auto Aggro volumes sends the message that you are not supposed to stealth. Players trying to stealth in those volumes is the simile to the zombies in A17 and A18 jumping up the wedge walls only to slide back down.

A better choice might be stealth provides you some resistance to the targeting, so based on distance and randomness, you may only get a partial amount targeting you while the rest just look around.

37 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@rubens9311 One shotting Z´s with the sneak bonus saves ressources, that works up to radiated bikers and cops with a crossbow. Play on 50% loot and warrior or higher difficulty. You will be happy about every single arrow you can save. Not drawing attention from outside a POI also helps when playing higher difficulties. First 3 stages of difficulty i propably wouldn´t spend anything in stealth eithe. Also Splinter Cell made me a stealth fanboy. 😛

I don't even try to get melee stealth kills. I basically just use the bow when I can. Enemy in field or sleeper laying there? Free damage. Head shot even better.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I was thinking that to solve the wake-up problem for sleepers you could use kind of an additional Heat-Map just dedicated to sounds.

That system is already working great with "normal" heat... but in this case you could use something similar just for sounds, to gauge the noise level in the chunk.

That would mean that each player action or breaking block or explosion would add to the chunk "noise meter".

E.g. for a 1 to 100 meter: shooting an arrow would add 1, a gun +20, a Grenade +100, a Block that breaks +15.

Then you'd use that meter in the sleepers AI to check if a specific threshold was reached : when that happens the sleepers in the chunk would wake up.

If I understand a bit how it works that could save tons of FPS because you'd just need to add a check on a number in the zombies' AI, am I right?

The Sleepers literally do not exist until your with in X blocks of them or enter their cube size trigger zone. As the whole point of the sleeper volume system is to reduce the number of zombies in the world to the absolute minimal. Especially the number of active zombies as each living zombie is a huge drain on the games very limited resource pool.

1 minute ago, Danidas said:

The Sleepers literally do not exist until your with in X blocks of them or enter their cube size trigger zone. As the whole point of the sleeper volume system is to reduce the number of zombies in the world to the absolute minimal. Especially the number of active zombies as each living zombie is a huge drain on the games very limited resource pool.

Wasn't talking about sleepers that still have to spawn.

1 minute ago, Danidas said:

Exactly.

A primary point of the system is to reduce the active zombie count. I specifically put spawned sleepers in a passive state, so they can't hear or see and run very little code. Player touches volume and they go active, so then they can hear/see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, faatal said:

A better choice might be stealth provides you some resistance to the targeting, so based on distance and randomness, you may only get a partial amount targeting you while the rest just look around.

Reads as a far cry better than the current iteration of them ignoring that the player is stealthed. I have an itchy feeling in the back of my mind with how close to the player some of the POIs dump their auto-aggroed zombies, but I'd like to see how it pans out if the idea is implemented.

So I was watching a glock9 video, his horde every night challenge, and I saw he found a needles & thread book that allowed pocket mods for clothing? 

Does this mean for regular clothing like pants, shirts, sweaters, etc??

I wondered why the other pocket mods that are crafted in the workbench didn't work on them.

9 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

So I was watching a glock9 video, his horde every night challenge, and I saw he found a needles & thread book that allowed pocket mods for clothing? 

Does this mean for regular clothing like pants, shirts, sweaters, etc??

I wondered why the other pocket mods that are crafted in the workbench didn't work on them.

Armor pocket mods are for armor. The regular clothing pocket mods and the clothing double pocket mods are for pants, shirts, and ovecoats.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Armor pocket mods are for armor. The regular clothing pocket mods and the clothing double pocket mods are for pants, shirts, and ovecoats.

I'll be dayumned!! I never knew that. Sweet!! I don't know if Ive found those needle & thread books or not but I'll definitely be checking next time I play. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, faatal said:

Exactly.

A primary point of the system is to reduce the active zombie count. I specifically put spawned sleepers in a passive state, so they can't hear or see and run very little code. Player touches volume and they go active, so then they can hear/see.

Then you could attach the "Noise Map" to the volumes in the same chunk and trigger them (along with the sleepers) when there's too much noise. This would solve the problem with the player destroying closet doors in a POI making noise but not waking up the zed inside AND the problem with the player killing a sleeper with a shotgun and still not waking up all the other (spawned) sleepers inside the same room. Also, this would bring back the possibility to wake up zeds when you try to break your way in a POI bypassing the normal "dungeon" path.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, madmole said:

He's been farting since Alpha 1, burping etc. Nobody ever noticed?

I noticed the burping and nasty liquid sounding noises, just hoping it's not more nasty when he becomes the gasser. Not sure if it's just me but sometimes I just want to kill zombies without the extra nastiness.

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:57 PM, madmole said:

The Gasser

Best Quality Farts.

ORDER NOOOOW!

(Farting since Alpha 1)

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Jost AmmanNo WIN10 either?

12 hours ago, Laz Man said:

If you have Windows 10, you can download Windows Xbox Gaming App which has built in recording software for gaming.  Its free, and its what I use. :)

Thanks, seems ok, but I don't want all the overhead that app has.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm very bad at using stuff like video recorder software and the likes.

Do you have any suggestion for a good free video recorder I could use with 7DTD to record evidence for bugs? Thanks

If you have an NVidia card then download GeForce Experience. It's free and the Shadowplay portion is the video recorder. Works like a champ.

10 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Geforce Experience installed you can use that too. It´s activated with Alt+Z. Both allow you to make a video of the last few minutes of gameplay

Shadowplay, which is the recording portion of Geforce Experience, does far more than just record the last few minutes of gameplay. It will record for hours, til you turn it off...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm very bad at using stuff like video recorder software and the likes.

Do you have any suggestion for a good free video recorder I could use with 7DTD to record evidence for bugs? Thanks

We use OBS studio and then DaVinci resolve for editing. All free and super easy to use :D There are a ton of tutorials on how to work them if you struggle. That way of you decide to make vids you have some awesome free software 😛 

9 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Too effin funny 😂🤣🕯️🔫

• Thanks 2

@Jost Amman Wasn´t even aware that you need to download it. I installed windows and it was there. But tbh, every other method is far more complicated for you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, madmole said:

I noticed, I literally complain every time I see him, about how his burps make me feel sick lol 🤢🤮He is Gassious Maximus, a very gross individual LMAO. EDIT: Not that I would change him or hate him, he just makes me feel ikky which adds to my experience in the game.

Edited by Laynie
Didn't finish off my post like a NORMAN! (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Who needs a robotic drone when we have Myra and Myla to take care of business?  (no pervy jokes Snowdog.... -_-) INT is my favorite build. :)

I have "The Bouncer" and "No means No".  😅

I see how the zombies want to touch "No means No", but she will smack them into next week!

The Bouncer lives up to his name and even demolishers are afraid of him! 

10 hours ago, faatal said:

I don't even try to get melee stealth kills. I basically just use the bow when I can. Enemy in field or sleeper laying there? Free damage. Head shot even better.

I've been thinking about it and a better way might be with a special infected that acts as a zombie alarm system. Basically a zombie with oversized mutated sensory organs including extra sets that will always detect you no matter what. Which will be designed to always make a lot of noise but not as much as a screamer when it detects you, takes damage, and dies to create a tangible reason for auto awake/aggro sleeper volumes. However naturally on the back end the zombie will have nothing to do with them waking up and only serves as something players can blame for it instead of feeling as cheated.

Another option would be setting it up to where players have a thin rare chance to kill this special infected before it detects them and that will disable the auto wake/aggro volumes. Which will give players a bit of hope that they can over come it so that they feel less cheated once again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@rubens9311 One shotting Z´s with the sneak bonus saves ressources, that works up to radiated bikers and cops with a crossbow. Play on 50% loot and warrior or higher difficulty. You will be happy about every single arrow you can save. Not drawing attention from outside a POI also helps when playing higher difficulties. First 3 stages of difficulty i propably wouldn´t spend anything in stealth eithe. Also Splinter Cell made me a stealth fanboy. 😛

Hello friend, I am on a SV MP playing with:

* Difficulty: insane Exp multiplier 50% * No supply * You die and everything falls * Loot 50%

And believe me, nothing is achieved if you do not do it or risk your life for it.

Not to mention that it is MP and when you return home it is possible that you have been robbed.

Day 105, lvl 32, approx 2000z dead. I never used stealth.

They are styles of games, I never used it and I think it is not necessary yet. Maybe later with the arrival of bandits I will close my mouth, as MM said. haha

Posted (edited)

The zombie idea would be for it to be called the Watcher and for it to have disturbingly large eyes with possible extra eyes that always look at the player. Included in it's design will be chains and strap metal so it clearly looks like it will make a lot of noise. As well as possibly having over sized ears as well to better hear you and sell the whole their is no way your sneaking by this thing vibe. Now to make it even more disturbing include Eye Candy in the design to imply that it was someone that over dosed on the stuff before becoming a zombie.

Possible design is either make it look like a natural zombie mutant or something that was modified after the fact for example the Demos. Which acts like a guard dog put in placed by the magic loot fairies that conveniently placed loot piles at the end of POIs.

Edited by Danidas (see edit history)