Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Have you lot monitored your Output usage for your CPU & GPU ?

I am trying to suss out the bottleneck, as I am seeing the game using up to 60% only of my CPU and GPU resources majority of the time (I say majority as I yet to figure out those few moments when my GPU will max out)

Maximum power usage in Windows. Tried different Nvidia drivers.

i7 with a GTX 1080ti.

I tried Vsync on / off

Graphical options on/off

Options on HIGH, max LOD but to be honest changing the Graphical options up/down seems to have no affect.

I could easily have more frames so its frustrating to see this going on.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I honestly just used Paint 3D which came with my computer. 😛 If you don't have it, I'm sure a free photoshopping app/website exists. :) But such engineering is beyond my capabilities.

I'll give it a go :D

Okay, serious question... when you get into the upper game stages, does it become impossible to find tier 6 primitive items?

I like using the stone axe, but I was unlucky and did not find a tier 6 stone axe, and I have been looting for a while and it almost feels like I am not going to find one lol. 

So am I blocked out of finding them now, or is it just really rare?

If they do stop dropping at some point, is there any way we can get tier 6 crafting back, just for the primitive weapons and tools, at like maxed rank of the skill?

2 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

I am trying to suss out the bottleneck, as I am seeing the game using up to 60% only of my CPU and GPU resources majority of the time (I say majority as I yet to figure out those few moments when my GPU will max out)

i7 with a GTX 1080ti.

I tried Vsync on / off

Graphical options on/off

Options on HIGH, max LOD but to be honest changing the Graphical options up/down seems to have no affect.

Hi! What resolution do you play in? Another question, do you, every time you make changes to the graphics, be it up or down the quality, exit the game and open it again? This was once named MM I think by alpha 18

16 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

Hi! What resolution do you play in? Another question, do you, every time you make changes to the graphics, be it up or down the quality, exit the game and open it again? This was once named MM I think by alpha 18

1920 x 1080

Yeah ,I restart game for testing.

:)

22 hours ago, Roland said:

We don't want to turn this place into Covid Testimonial Time.

People come here to escape the world so let's leave it at this post and as long as people don't go crazy in response I won't pull it. Let's stick to pressing Madmole for future news so he gets tired of saying "That's A20" and decides to open the A20 Thread.... 

Like this guys:

Hey @madmole are the gamestage modifiers that will be added to POI's and biomes be done for like maybe A19.1 or A19.2? What about the random event manager? A19.3 perhaps?

Get Rekt son. A40+ stuff right there. Anyhow you should know that feature lock means no new features, but I know you are joking so it's fine, I jest too, there will be no A40 lol. I'm even blocking new art content because frankly, it will make A20 that much better versus being "meh" for A19.x.

18 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

MadMole

You posted a statement regarding too many tris or or poly on screen, in relation to the unity engine.

So, I did a test, and it may only be related to my pc, a19 pre stable. I adjusted the Grass to 1.0 for
all of the the biomes except desert. The result was visually beautiful, but it would kick out in the
Pine forest mostly.

It gave me a thought regarding zombies.  In the future can there be 2 levels of detail type zombies
produced.  The Top billers Moe, Joe, Steve etc.  Plus a Low poly low generic color texture, Fodder set,
sort of like the single digit Alpha Z's for random roaming, roaming horde, or 7th Night.

They would have low HP, Low XP yield, that can be used as a scenery and activity filler.

For them just use a general controller, sort of like a swarm AI. Distance based, like a sphere of influence.

Polygons are not expensive though, at least in normal use cases. The controller and pathing/AI is where all the CPU goes. It would look bad too seeing low poly filler zombies next to high poly regular zombies. Everything needs to be the same fidelity.

@madmole : I was thinking about the upcoming (A21/22) bandits and was wondering if you (TFP) are the first who will be making an AI which will be able to "pathfind" through a fully destructible voxel world... 🤔

I mean, I can't think about a game where you can find NPCs that actually work in an environment like 7D2D.

5 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

i7 with a GTX 1080ti.

I tried Vsync on / off

Graphical options on/off

Are you using an SSD or a platter hard drive? 

An absolute shed-load of the data is held on the pagefile so the read/write speed of the hard drive may need to be taken into account.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm pretty sure they fall off the list completely after a while.

If you were talking about the tier 6 primitive weapons, it would be cool if there were some way to still get them. 

Like you can craft them, or they pollute the trader loot(like maybe a good chance they have 1 tier 6 primitive every refresh), or you do what you said before and primitive items cap at tier 5, lel. 

Do you know if that unique stone axe is still in the game?... if so I might just go hunt for that.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

@madmole : I was thinking about the upcoming (A21/22) bandits and was wondering if you (TFP) are the first who will be making an AI which will be able to "pathfind" through a fully destructible voxel world... 🤔

I mean, I can't think about a game where you can find NPCs that actually work in an environment like 7D2D.

Tbh the zombie AI probably would work for bandit AI with some tweaks.  At least the melee variants.  😅

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Okay, Fun Pimps, this is a "serious issue". I'm looking down the sight of my M60 (not moving or swaying) and I've just noticed that its crosshairs and its sights are slightly offset. 😶 What is the meaning of this? 😶

7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-22_5_07_57_PM.thumb.png.181b8ec49745752f4f60cd2c019604a4.png

Most guns are like this, its a simple fix in the Items.xml

If i can remember theirs a number like 0.00063, were it says scope or sight.... just make that a 0 

4 hours ago, pregnable said:

If you were talking about the tier 6 primitive weapons, it would be cool if there were some way to still get them. 

Like you can craft them, or they pollute the trader loot(like maybe a good chance they have 1 tier 6 primitive every refresh), or you do what you said before and primitive items cap at tier 5, lel. 

Do you know if that unique stone axe is still in the game?... if so I might just go hunt for that.

Tazo's axe or tazons axe, something like that. 

I'm not sure if it's still in the game or not. If I remember right, it's in the desert biome. It's a weird looking area with stone pillars or something in a circle shaped area. I'm guessing it's supposed to be an Indian burial ground. It's in the center under neath a tree or statue, dig a few blocks under it & you reveal a chest. 

When you open it, it makes a weird Indian chant sound. I found it once on the ps4 version years ago.

14 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Tazo's axe or tazons axe, something like that. 

I'm not sure if it's still in the game or not. If I remember right, it's in the desert biome. It's a weird looking area with stone pillars or something in a circle shaped area. I'm guessing it's supposed to be an Indian burial ground. It's in the center under neath a tree or statue, dig a few blocks under it & you reveal a chest. 

When you open it, it makes a weird Indian chant sound. I found it once on the ps4 version years ago.

That's Taza's Stone Axe, and the last I saw of it it was in A18. Don't know if TFP removed it or not.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, Grubbage said:

Did you happen to update windows to the 2004 build? I tried it out and it screwed up my sound and had to revert back to the previous build.

Actually it was the steel series engine. When it updated it took my headphones off 7.1 surround. It was like feeling around in the dark by comparison. I had to search everywhere around my base to find where the zeds were. All good now.

More good news, totally forgot that that I'd upgraded my pc package to a 1080ti 11gb when I bought it. Partially explains why I'm keeping decent frames on 64 Zed horde nights while recording. Been seeing what I can do about streaming. Definitely can't stream with the CPU on my i7-8700K 3.7ghz and record with my GPU at the same time like some guy was saying on youtube, gave me the blue screen of death after 15 min. Works pretty good just streaming off the GPU even in weird @%$*#! 838p resolution doing 6000kbs max quality to twitch though and considering most play on 720p I got room to back it down. We'll see what happens on a 64 zed horde night.

I'm going to do Jonahs new challenge. Wasteland only no traders with nitrogen, only on my settings ish, mite have to switch to 1h days to keep it comparable. He challenged anyone one to try it,:noidea: can't back down from a challenge. He plays on 32 zeds so I can always back it down if the gpu can't handle it also.

Wish I had that other 16gbs of ram now, even if I could buy it I imagine its a hell of a time getting it right now.

7 hours ago, The Gronk said:

Are you using an SSD or a platter hard drive? 

An absolute shed-load of the data is held on the pagefile so the read/write speed of the hard drive may need to be taken into account.

SSD. But I can be stationary just looking in one direction so there isn’t anything loading up and my PC isn’t maxing out. 

Its puzzling, old system but it has this untapped potential for better FPS and it’s just not using it. 

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Tbh the zombie AI probably would work for bandit AI with some tweaks.  At least the melee variants.  😅

Yeah, but my question is if they are the first who've been developing such a complex Pathfinding / AI in a fully destructible voxel world.

I think the answer is yes... unless you can name ANY videogame that does that in the same type of environment.

Probably more a question for @faatal than madmole...

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, but my question is if they are the first who've been developing such a complex Pathfinding / AI in a fully destructible voxel world.

I think the answer is yes... unless you can name ANY videogame that does that in the same type of environment.

Probably more a question for @faatal than madmole...

I hate to be the one to say this but the pathfinding isn't _that_ complex or new.  It's A* and has been around for about half a century now.  Not that TFP haven't done a fantastic job of implementing it by adding various bells and whistles but under all the shiny it's still an ancient algorithm (technologically speaking).

A* pathfinding in a procedurally generated world?  Probably the original "rogue" circa 1980.

Minecraft has had mobs pathfinding for many years before 7dtd was started and the only reason they have to jump everywhere is the lack of smooth terrain.

Archived