Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

34 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

So yeah, hopefully this changes. The wasteland & definitely the hub city in the wasteland should be more dangerous than one vulture. Even console had that right!!!

There's been plenty of salt about vultures in the wasteland. I think you just got off uncommonly easy that time.

Depending on who you are, consoles have it perfect: Hub city AND LBD...

With all the demands for more updates I wonder if console players truly understand what they could possibly be talking themselves out of. ;)

• Knuckle Rub 1

Good Morning All

@madmole @faatal

With what you guys know now with using both the unity engine and using the unreal engine to make both 7D2D and your new project.

Looking back do you think it would have been a better choice to use unreal from the start or do what you have done by sticking with unity?

I know its a WID date but how close are you to A19 Stable?

Any hints on what you want to get done for A20, I know random gen is going to get a lot of love and Vehicles as well.

Thanks

Brett

1 hour ago, Roland said:

There's been plenty of salt about vultures in the wasteland. I think you just got off uncommonly easy that time.

Depending on who you are, consoles have it perfect: Hub city AND LBD...

With all the demands for more updates I wonder if console players truly understand what they could possibly be talking themselves out of. ;)

Good point. I am a fan of the learn by doing (sorry, I hate abbreviations) but I do see how it was exploited. 

I never did the exploits, learned about them long after console was "dead". 

If I ever do go back to console, I won't partake in exploiting. That ruins the game in my opinion. 

On 8/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, alanea said:

oh  you mean all those paints removed  in a17 ? same alpha that drastically worsened perfomance (cpu/gpu/ram wise)?

well considering how the small amount of textures left in game that still run quite awfull (and can bloat to 20GB+ ram after prolonged gameplay despite denial of  memory leaks)

its probably time to search whats rotten inside instead limiting textures.. zombie spawns ... cofee makers or anything else

*sighs*

the paints are amongst the things I miss most from A16. I can do without pretty much all that was lost, but the opportunities  for designing your base in A16 with vibrant colours, that I sorely miss

Oh, an I do miss the individual power of vehicles. The minibike being faster than your mate's because you found the better engine - priceless!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Anyway, leaving out stuff that would be cool for singleplayer due to some multiplayer concerns sounds unfortunate to me as this game will always be much more of a singleplayer game than a multiplayer one.

I am with you on that one, but I do unerstand madmole's reasoning.

9 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Anyone else thinks that for SP the "Charismatic nature" skill is a wasted slot in the INT tree?

It's a shame they can't find a use for that skill that will also benefit solo players...

Never everything has to benefit solo players. There's a few books as well that only affect multiplayer.

And PvP as well.

28 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Never everything has to benefit solo players. There's a few books as well that only affect multiplayer.

And PvP as well.

Yeahh that’s the thing, the game would benefit I think way more if we had one perk tree etc. plus books focusing specifically for single Player games and then adjust/add for multiplayer ones. 

Best of both worlds depending on the number of players selected.

Nothing then is obsolete or a waste of time due to playing single player games (which I think the majority of us play). 

Or TFP need to rethink on maybe the stuff geared towards multiplayer games only and ask if they should be in ?  Instead change them and allow the players to customise there own character skills further which still benefits in both single and multiplayer games. 

Edited by Jay_ombie (see edit history)

3 hours ago, STyK_ said:

This was scary! Made my heart jump seeing both and one being a feral. Biker is the early game boogie man on Nightmare speed if you didn't know. In this frame they kind of look like they are dancing though. There were 4 at the gas station.
Bikers.thumb.png.679b4542fa86cc6794e4040eb2bb2878.png

Scary!

1 hour ago, Jay_ombie said:

Yeahh that’s the thing, the game would benefit I think way more if we had one perk tree etc. plus books focusing specifically for single Player games and then adjust/add for multiplayer ones. 

Best of both worlds depending on the number of players selected.

Nothing then is obsolete or a waste of time due to playing single player games (which I think the majority of us play). 

Or TFP need to rethink on maybe the stuff geared towards multiplayer games only and ask if they should be in ?  Instead change them and allow the players to customise there own character skills further which still benefits in both single and multiplayer games. 

For TFP balancing a full attribute instead of each single perk has so many advantages, the hell will be freezing over before you can change their minds. Just put that on the pile where ziplines and LBD are.

There are A LOT of perks that are only useful for specific playstyles, but they make the game more variable, add replayability. It is not neccessary that every perk is useful for you, it is only neccessary that every perk is useful for some players out there once in a while. Charismatic Nature is costing you nothing if you don't put perk points into it.

Further balancing is missing, sure, the dig-bonus perk in PER for example is practically useless after early game, for every playstyle, MP or SP. One could imagine perking into it because the plan is to drink a forgetin elixier later but how in hell would anyone ever have the chance to put in more than 2 points into it even then?

Charismatic Nature is just a special-use perk. Ignore it like you ignore the vehicle perk if you already bought a motorbike or gyro from the trader.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)
  • Knuckle Rub 1

18 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Charismatic Nature is just a special-use perk. Ignore it like you ignore the vehicle perk if you already bought a motorbike or gyro from the trader.

I'm all for it... as long as they add more perks for each play style and/or play mode.

The problem is if they use it for Party bonus they won't use it for (i.e.) charming animals to avoid being attacked... I'd also add that of all the perks/skills in every tree, that one is the only one I'll surely never use, while I've used ALL the others from time to time depending on the whim of the day.

Btw is it a bug that I am suddenly able to accept the same quests (the ones you can find on notepads) multiple times? I currenty have three of the "kill 5 boar" quests active and I wonder what happens when I actually kill five of them. Do I get three times the award from the trader? 

6 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Btw is it a bug that I am suddenly able to accept the same quests (the ones you can find on notepads) multiple times? I currenty have three of the "kill 5 boar" quests active and I wonder what happens when I actually kill five of them. Do I get three times the award from the trader? 

I'm experiencing the same thing, I currently have 4 Claude's Treasure Map active.

I had an idea for a special zombie...

Elderly female that has a pacemaker in her chest

Special attack would be an AOE EMP (say 5 meters for starters) that knocks out power to stun batons, electrical traps and vehicles (also drones if they are introduced) for a period of time

Shut her down with a shot to the heart (knocks out the pacemaker), perhaps with an AP round

Her name could be Tess LaBelle 

As an aside, I need more to do at nights so I don't think about things like this :p

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Noctoras said:

Oh, an I do miss the individual power of vehicles. The minibike being faster than your mate's because you found the better engine - priceless!

Yeah, that was pretty cool “Man, this new place is soooo amazing... oh.. wait... I guess you wouldn’t know as you haven’t arrived yet!” and they’re like 10 seconds behind you. Same with the weapon parts/quality. I miss all that randomness.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm experiencing the same thing, I currently have 4 Claude's Treasure Map active.

It is obvious that Charles must be a con artist. Be careful if he starts talking about an inheritance he wants to transfer out of some african country.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Ignore it like you ignore the vehicle perk if you already bought a motorbike or gyro from the trader.

I wish I could, but without a couple picks in that tree I wouldn't be able to make gasoline.

-Morloc

18 minutes ago, Morloc said:

I wish I could, but without a couple picks in that tree I wouldn't be able to make gasoline.

-Morloc

In that case you always have the option of finding the gasoline recipe same as with all other recipes unlocked via perks. As they all exist in loot as well so your never forced to pick a perk to get a recipe unless your really unlucky with the loot gods.

1 hour ago, Ezed said:

I had an idea for a special zombie...

Elderly female that has a pacemaker in her chest

Special attack would be an AOE EMP (say 5 meters for starters) that knocks out power to stun batons, electrical traps and vehicles (also drones if they are introduced) for a period of time

Shut her down with a shot to the heart (knocks out the pacemaker), perhaps with an AP round

Her name could be Tess LaBelle 

In general such a zombie would be interesting, but it would be a little unfair to intelligence players.

25 minutes ago, Danidas said:

In that case you always have the option of finding the gasoline recipe same as with all other recipes unlocked via perks. As they all exist in loot as well so your never forced to pick a perk to get a recipe unless your really unlucky with the loot gods.

It's a bit like the old Forge Ahead book; you have it and wonder why anyone is making a fuss, or you go 60+ days without having it and wonder if your RNG is broken.
I'm not suggesting that anything should be changed, just that ignoring the vehicle perk means you need to get lucky and find/purchase the recipes/parts/vehicles ~and~ the gasoline recipe for you to ignore that tree.

-Morloc

23 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

I was pretty excited when it was announced, I instantly imagined Fallout in space, flying in spaceships, landing on planets, exploring planets full of alien NPCs, alien structures, doing quests just like in Fallout games, having followers (a must have feature), but so far I haven't seen any real footage of it, so I don't even know if it would be anything close to how I imagined it.

I'm pretty sure we can expect traditional BGS features. The thing that bothers me is that it compromised the standard cadence we were getting between elder scrolls games and will probably impact fallout 5 as well. They went from 2002, 2006,2011 what looks like a ten year or more wait between titles. If Starfield comes out 2021 that means 2 to 3 years later for ES6, putting it at 2024. So going from 4, to 5, to almost 15 years between sequels is really depressing. When Skyrim launched I was so happy I thought I will get another 5-10 elder scrolls before I kick off if I live to be 70 or 80, now it looks like 1-2 more at most.

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Anyone else thinks that for SP the "Charismatic nature" skill is a wasted slot in the INT tree?

It's a shame they can't find a use for that skill that will also benefit solo players...

It is probably going to get changed.  I doubt MM is going to leave it like that. 

The way it is right now, no one is going to get it playing solo, or possibly duo, but at the same time it is probably really OP in a large group. 

At the very least, the last rank will probably be removed and changed to something that gives the solo player a small benefit. 

• Like 1

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic