Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

4 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

technically they could do it with the hawaiian shirt zombie, dont change a thing about him, but when he dies he has a few crawlers come out of him, it would look sloppy to have them spawn around him after a few seconds, but just as an example to try, and that bunker buster we dont think about much anymore lol

There is a zombie called a birther that is like big momma on steroids that poops out larva zombie. It is a lower priority explore later thing, we will see how it feels with the planned stuff done first.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Negative people astound me with their lack of excitement. What exactly do you think you are "losing"? Yep, we're losing a quick hashed together prototype idea that used UMA stuff pasted together but in the process are gaining 12000 polygons, and a well thought out design, built upon a concepts and refined by senior character artists feedback that will be built from scratch from the top character artists in the industry. Shed some tears for the other two guys who feel this way, the rest of us 12 million owners will feel gratitude and be scared @%$*#! less when we see the new screamer :)

People typically do not like change. I'm sure all the doubters will be silenced once they've experience the new screamer model first-hand. :)

1 minute ago, madmole said:

There is a zombie called a birther that is like big momma on steroids that poops out larva zombie. It is a lower priority explore later thing, we will see how it feels with the planned stuff done first.

Sounds like a good target for a Molotov, speaking of which, are the flaming arrows AOE?  I could swear I was getting more then 1 Z on fire then the 1 I shot.

i remember when in one of the videos way back you guys had a concept for a zombie that would show up and reanimate the dead making it a priority, any chance we might see it resurface?

Low priority explore later thing? I vote for a much higher priority. This would be exciting and horrifying to encounter in a horde

3 hours ago, pregnable said:

I still kinda like the idea of from the shadows giving an exp bonus for sneak attack kills. 

Then I might actually try agility first instead of going miner first like I always do, heh. 

I'd rather get XP for a successful get away (zombie sees you, but you give him the slip while sneaking). More xp from a kill where you already do 2x+ damage just seems like overkill.

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

People typically do not like change. I'm sure all the doubters will be silenced once they've experience the new screamer model first-hand. :)

Except we've knocked every HD remake out of the park. So why start fussing now? This is why I don't like talking about stuff bit would rather just show it. Some people visualize it crappy, I see change as awesome.

10 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

i remember when in one of the videos way back you guys had a concept for a zombie that would show up and reanimate the dead making it a priority, any chance we might see it resurface?

It is in the list, but also low priority. We'd need a proper dead body manager for it to really work and zombies despawn way too fast for that to work without a dead body manager. At the end of the day the screamer does the same thing, without needing code for corpses to stay longer.

10 minutes ago, redneckraccoon said:

Low priority explore later thing? I vote for a much higher priority. This would be exciting and horrifying to encounter in a horde

You haven't seen the high priority mobs.

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

Except we've knocked every HD remake out of the park. So why start fussing now? This is why I don't like talking about stuff bit would rather just show it. Some people visualize it crappy, I see change as awesome.

My theory for that is because the Screamer is a longer lasting, more "iconic" design, even if it was only temporary. Like many people I'm excited for what you're gonna cook up, but others will remain doubtful until they see it for themselves. It's just the way things are. The important thing is you keep on chugging forward as always.

Only major issue I have with the current intellect perks that I can think of is that the junk turrets set off demos. It means my turrets are literally a hazard to the party unless a base is carefully constructed that allows me to place them such they they're able to shoot demos in the back.

I'm unsurprised that a lot of people feel like some of the more 'fantastical' zombies are out of place. They are compared to what's currently in the game, but it doesn't take much to see that they were coming. We aren't getting progressively improved equipment for no reason, since I learned that everything was getting a full set of tiers, I've been waiting to see what kind of cool new zombois we're getting that were going to make the extra firepower necessary.

8 hours ago, RipClaw said:

The idea with the key could be implemented in different ways. For example, instead of one key, there could be several keys that all unlock the crate. The number would depend on the size of the POI. For example, a T5 POI could have 5 keys. So in theory you would only have to kill 20% of the zombies to get one of the keys.

What you should also not forget is that the loot at the end of the POI consists of more than just the big chest. There are always several crates that fit the theme of the POI. In the Shotgun Messiah Factory there is a gun bag and several Shotgun Messiah crates at the end. There are also Shotgun Messiah crates in another tower. Either way you would not need a key for them. And as it is with RNG, the very first zombie you kill could have the key.

There are a bunch of good ways to do this. I just don't want losing sight of what makes open-world games fun. There's never 'a' singular way to play, there are always multiple solutions to a problem. :)

3 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

YEAAAAA BOIIIIIIIIIIIII

I have no clue what actually prompted it, but but my entire server refers to the zombies as 'bois'. Nobody ever says 'we've got a horde of zombies coming'. It's 'we got a bunch of bois coming'. It's delightful honestly. :)

Needless to say, there are endless jokes about bringing the bois to the yard.

54 minutes ago, madmole said:

When its done. It requires a pretty big  change to blocks and some kind of conversion process of all the POIs so I don't know if we have time for it yet for A20.

Probably.

Is there any chance that conversion process or tool can be released so our resident community prefabbers can convert their POIs?

38 minutes ago, madmole said:

You haven't seen the high priority mobs.

With a response like that, I know it’s gonna be good. 

I welcome change. I see it as a challenge. A challenge though practice, trail, and error, I will eventually master. 

... and then break and bend it to my will, furthering my dominance as god of the zombie apocalypse. ;3

14 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Today while playing A19 I was thinking... does anyone use Moldy Bread?

I always throw it away, seems like a waste of inventory space to me.

If they remove it from the game no one will notice probably. :ohwell:

I think it's used in making antibiotics...but with honey being so common and pre-made A/B's and Herbal A/B's fairly common in loot, I've never needed to craft any.  Of course if those damn vultures keeping infecting me I might need to...there's only so many trees ;) 

3 minutes ago, Ezed said:

I think it's used in making antibiotics...but with honey being so common and pre-made A/B's and Herbal A/B's fairly common in loot, I've never needed to craft any.  Of course if those damn vultures keeping infecting me I might need to...there's only so many trees ;) 

Thats why I dulled down my loot, its way more scarce now, i was finding way too much at 100% loot

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I have the opposite problem. We need bigger storage options. I'm starting to run out of space. 😟 Should I stop hoarding? Nahhhh...

7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-16_6_48_05_PM.thumb.png.1c01e719bd519c1dcf42067118d31b1a.png

with all those electric parts you could wander around and start lighting up a town with battery banks so u never need lights yourself again haha

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Today while playing A19 I was thinking... does anyone use Moldy Bread?

I always throw it away, seems like a waste of inventory space to me.

If they remove it from the game no one will notice probably. :ohwell:

The usefulness of it seems to vary from alpha to alpha. There are factors surrounding this that have changed around a lot like how easy or not it is to obtain antibiotics, how easy or not it is to have access to a chem station, and going back further, at what stage of the game it was even possible to have a chem station.

However, useful or not, I love moldy bread in this game. For over 20,000 years bread has held up civilizations. It a symbol of human life.
Seeing moldy bread everywhere in the world adds a lot to the theme for me. If bread is life, moldy bread symbolizes death and decay of civilization.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I'd rather get XP for a successful get away (zombie sees you, but you give him the slip while sneaking). More xp from a kill where you already do 2x+ damage just seems like overkill.

Yeah, although if you are actually playing stealthy you are usually moving around slowly and doing POIs slower, so the exp would be as a reward for going slower and trying to get every sneak attack kill you can. 

I have not played a build like that for very long though, so it might be overkill, or there might be better ways to balance the exp gain in that type of build.  It was just a thought.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

My theory for that is because the Screamer is a longer lasting, more "iconic" design, even if it was only temporary. Like many people I'm excited for what you're gonna cook up, but others will remain doubtful until they see it for themselves. It's just the way things are. The important thing is you keep on chugging forward as always.

I'm not worried about it. People said they wouldn't use candy LOL.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived