Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Ohh right wasn't aware of that one... Neat, I like that there is different 'versions' of the same POI... 

There are a lot where it gets weird when there are multiple. Fire houses, some store types, churches.
The exclusive poi group thing doesn't exist... I was just saying they would need something like that in order to prevent such weirdness.

23 hours ago, Naz said:

I think exploits will get looked into more as it gets closer to beta, once all the content and features are in they will likely focus on balance like that. I really don't think they're trying to spite you, they want the game to do well as much as you or me do, i think at worst they won't respond because they'd like it to be the way you want but they can't due to time,technical reasons etc. They want too be able to say yes to everyone but sometimes they just can't fortunately.

I look at exploits on a regular basis, but it competes with bug fixing, optimizing, cleaning up old stuff, updating engine/3rd party code, balance and new features. Yesterday I started redoing how AI walks on ladders due to the bouncy ladder exploit. Legacy code basically just shoved the AI up the ladder. Now they can walk and stand on them like a player can. Hopefully that will be ready for testing today, but may not be released until after stable.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:04 PM, STyK_ said:

Like players cheesy strategies alone should not work on Bandits. People have been building walls around fortifications for how many thousands of years, seems to me if we got stone aged like this we would be reverting back to old ways making a solid perimeter a defense mandatory but nothing would stop the player from opening up the doors or purposely destroying a wall portion to there fortification on horde night to let the horde in for they're cheese strategy to work.

The bandits will just nerd pole up to your roof, bust out the wall and rob you blind.

21 hours ago, Dethar said:

I believe MM said it probably wouldn't be a thing because of pathing in RWG would just be huge issue with them getting stuck on all kinds of terrain/objects. Just like I have see zombies do.

Easy. "Is that a bear over there?", then they teleport while you are looking away.

31 minutes ago, faatal said:

I have not looked at that yet. Have more pressing things to work on.

It has happened to me a few times, you begin to harvest and the dead bear ragdolls again each hit, doesn't happen all the time, its kinda funny but not anything serious to look into right away id say

18 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Sadly I cannot use my turrets any longer during horde night but blade traps, electric fences and aimed shots on their heads deal with demolishers pretty successfully.

Push the turrets out, so they engage them away from the base? Or out and face backwards, so they shoot them in the back? Maybe?

18 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Doorknobs are overrated, since they cut through the door..and your solid steel walls.. with hardly any effort.

There is the AI Block Damage setting. I started playing with it at 50%, but I make myself build a base, so no holing up in POIs. That was a bit easy, so I started doing 67%.

I'd love an option to make non player blocks weak, so I could use POIs, but they would not be that great. Or it could really be player placed blocks get x% more health, so my new construction would be better than what exists in the decaying world.

18 minutes ago, faatal said:

Push the turrets out, so they engage them away from the base? Or out and face backwards, so they shoot them in the back? Maybe?

The former might work, but having the turrets shoot the demo's in the back doesn't work; the demo's simply ragdoll/fall down onto their backs and the turrets aim squarely for the chest, setting them off.

2 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

There you go! Just like the players!🤣

I wonder how long it will be until the zombies start nerdpoling. 😛

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

I'd love an option to make non player blocks weak, so I could use POIs, but they would not be that great. Or it could really be player placed blocks get x% more health, so my new construction would be better than what exists in the decaying world.

It makes sense. Does the game know the difference between a generated block and a player-placed one? If not, would a 1-bit boolean value added to store this information have an impact on performance?

1 minute ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

It makes sense. Does the game know the difference between a generated block and a player-placed one? If not, would a 1-bit boolean value added to store this information have an impact on performance?

I could be wrong but the only block a player can lay that counts as a world block is dirt, if you build a garden like area with dirt, zombies can spawn on the dirt

1 minute ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I could be wrong but the only block a player can lay that counts as a world block is dirt, if you build a garden like area with dirt, zombies can spawn on the dirt

Right, but what about the generated POI blocks? Does the game know it was generated or player-placed? I'm guessing not, because POI resetting on mission start wouldn't need to reset everything.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

The district border is right between them.

Both districts were required to have their own fire station but for improved efficiency and cooperation they built them next to each other.

They also have twice as many fires there due to all the shotgun messiah and Shamway factories.  😅

58 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

That's gonna require some role play or imagination to explain.
Here's mine. The old fire station needed some serious renovations. The city found it to be cheaper and safer to just build a new fire station across the street and then renovate the old one into a mechanic's garage. Then the zombies and it just never happened.

They would need to do something like make exclusive POI groups. On map gen, when it comes time to gen the towns, the exclusive groups are only dipped into once per town.

Fire fighting got privatized. You can choose to get a service contract with any of them. Or hope you are lucky and there is still a free fire truck available in an emergency. But you have to call each one seperately because they couldn't agree on a joint hotline

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Fire fighting got privatized. You can choose to get a service contract with any of them. Or hope you are lucky and there is still a free fire truck available in an emergency. But you have to call each one seperately because they couldn't agree on a joint hotline

You mean like working stiffs vs lathans hardware? 😅

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Depends on how sweet pathing, AI and combat animations all end up I think. There might be too many scenarios where a human NPC gets glitched out and stuck if forced to try and follow players.

That all makes sense, thanks :D 

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Well, one of her lines are, "Meds, drugs, booze, I've got it all", and one could easily mistake her for saying "boobs" instead of "booze". 😛

Are you 100% certain that she doesn't? This IS a game made by a company called "The Fun Pimps", LOL

21 minutes ago, meganoth said:

While your house is burning down, you can get "Head-of-the-line" privileges if you add a bonus payment.

If you're a paying member, they use water.

If you don't like someone, or they don't like someone, or its Monday, they use "special" liquids.

The other Fire station is who they blame when things go wrong... which is often. 

24 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

That's a no to salvaging them. They are highly restricted because of how much lag they cause.

Confirmed? Has it been that way forever? Then I guess the question is will they still be when/if Lathan fixes it?

Archived