Jump to content

Alpha 19 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

 

 

This is definitely a recipe for fun most people don't get. More would even be better as the game goes on but the game has limits. Even if it had 'sleeper zeds' designed just to throw themselves at your defenses and die instantly to make you feel overwhelmed. I'd turn up horde night frequency before I'd go to 1 hour days. I also don't see how you could do 25% loot on anything less then 2hr days, you'd have to be MM lucky.

I leave it on ultra, 1080ti 8gb can handle it and I'm recording.

must have a pretty good pc then mines pretty high end costed like £550 which is like $770 i think? don't know my exact conversion rates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

must have a pretty good pc then mines pretty high end costed like £550 which is like $770 i think? don't know my exact conversion rates

i7-8700 3.70ghz

There are still lag spikes but I believe that has to do with optimization cause everyone is getting them, that happens even not on horde night, just exploring and loading new chunks. 

My whole package was like $3400 for the tower, that was a few years ago now its likely alot cheaper.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a particular reason for solar cells being one of the most expensive items the trader has to offer? About 40k Dukes with 25 % discount included already for a quality 6 solar cell seems pretty much to me. Especially as they only deliver energy during daytime and therefore are useless for a lot of purposes.

 

Or are there some things solar cells are specially useful for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Is there a particular reason for solar cells being one of the most expensive items the trader has to offer? About 40k Dukes with 25 % discount included already for a quality 6 solar cell seems pretty much to me. Especially as they only deliver energy during daytime and therefore are useless for a lot of purposes.

 

Or are there some things solar cells are specially useful for?

I used them for internal security on my pvp base solar bank hooked up to a battery bank(i Think) just running 2-3 shotgun turrets continuously. They actually don't generate that much wattz. They generate lag on servers though, not sure if Lathan fixed that yet.

 

If it wasn't hooked up to a battery bank then it was just chained to each turret. it was a while ago.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Is there a particular reason for solar cells being one of the most expensive items the trader has to offer? About 40k Dukes with 25 % discount included already for a quality 6 solar cell seems pretty much to me. Especially as they only deliver energy during daytime and therefore are useless for a lot of purposes.

 

Or are there some things solar cells are specially useful for?

I believe they're gated pretty heavily for performance reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I do 64 zombies on ultra as well without a problem.
Maybe resolution is the real FPS killer in this case.

Not quite, faatal mentioned once that AI pathing is the real problem... the more entities you have the more processing power you need.

That's why we can't have hundreds of zombies at the same time all "pathing" around. :ballchain:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Not quite, faatal mentioned once that AI pathing is the real problem... the more entities you have the more processing power you need.

That's why we can't have hundreds of zombies at the same time all "pathing" around. :ballchain:

Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to just turn off pathing for horde night and have hundreds of enraged zeds just charging straight at your base from all sides. I get they want the player to die but if the defense and base are destroyed the player is too. Make them target something like the landclaim block which is normally in the middle of my base. I know there are scenarios this would not work in but is it possible? @faatal

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to just turn off pathing for horde night and have hundreds of enraged zeds just charging straight at your base from all sides. I get they want the player to die but if the defense and base are destroyed the player is too. Make them target something like the landclaim block which is normally in the middle of my base. I know there are scenarios this would not work in but is it possible? @faatal

From a layman perspective I think they probably could do it, since earlier alphas were basically using that kind of primitive AI. But from a logic standpoint it doesn't make much sense to me... the whole point of the Blood Moon is to put to test your tower defense strategy, so with a basic/stupid AI that would be an easy win for the player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

PERFORMANCE though.... more than 32 alive can knock -even if just a bit- on any system's door.

Yeah, My last big horde was day 126 with 64 per wave.

Felt like crawling through molasses at times the lag was so bad.

And that's with a i7-7700k and two 1080Ti's in sli.

And everythings water cooled and over clocked to boot.

Think a normal pc would have just fried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

From a layman perspective I think they probably could do it, since earlier alphas were basically using that kind of primitive AI. But from a logic standpoint it doesn't make much sense to me... the whole point of the Blood Moon is to put to test your tower defense strategy, so with a basic/stupid AI that would be an easy win for the player.

I think that depends on how many zeds, how many waves, think world war z numbers. I try to stop them from pathing by making a solid defense in all directions. Makes it feel more realistic to me then the zed meat grinder pit which I definitely did before you guys changed the pathing, then it became too easy, you basically just added a conveyor belt. Anyway just wanted to know if it was possible after you said that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

I would like another 16gb of ram on top of what I have but thats really streaming specs, not really needed. Yeah I just play on 1920x1080.

How are you getting good fps with that?

im playing on the same res, with TWO 1080Ti's in sli mode, and a I7-7700k, and during a big horde, it's so laggy..

Oh, AND 64 Gb of ddr4 ram..

Edited by Demandred1957 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

How are you getting good fps with that?

im playing on the same res, with TWO 1080Ti's in sli mode, and a I7-7700k, and during a big horde, it's so laggy..

Well, to be fair SLI generally isn't good for gaming unless the devs of the game specifically optimizes for it (hence the lack of support IMO, not many people go that route since it's a pain to get configured correctly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I can't say was pretty much about to ask the same thing but watch my test vid horde night, its proof, and I'm recording. Its my very first vid.

Yeah, I use shadow play to record as well, but it only seems to shave 4-5 fps off the top.

I mean really.. My system clocks a solid 50fps in downtown boston in FO4, and thats known as a fps killer to begin with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I think that depends on how many zeds, how many waves, think world war z numbers. I try to stop them from pathing by making a solid defense in all directions. Makes it feel more realistic to me then the zed meat grinder pit which I definitely did before you guys changed the pathing, then it became too easy, you basically just added a conveyor belt. Anyway just wanted to know if it was possible after you said that.

I'm just a player, who are you calling YOU GUYS?? 😀

Anyway if faatal finds the time and inspiration to reply to your question then you'll have the official answer from TFP.

  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

Yeah, I use shadow play to record as well, but it only seems to shave 4-5 fps off the top.

I mean really.. My system clocks a solid 50fps in downtown boston in FO4, and thats known as a fps killer to begin with.

I use obs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Well, to be fair SLI generally isn't good for gaming unless the devs of the game specifically optimizes for it (hence the lack of support IMO, not many people go that route since it's a pain to get configured correctly).

A pain? I thought it was easy really.. Hardest thing was getting the two cards to play nice with each other when I over clocked them.

Since no two cards will oc the same, it took a bit of juggling with the power lvls etc before they were stable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Not quite, faatal mentioned once that AI pathing is the real problem... the more entities you have the more processing power you need.

That's why we can't have hundreds of zombies at the same time all "pathing" around. :ballchain:

OK, but by "this case" I'm talking about why things are fine for me (and for STyK_) with these settings, but not for MM and others. I have an i9 which might be a difference, but I highly doubt Unity takes advantage of all my cores. I'm not talking about the general case that affects the low end the most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

A pain? I thought it was easy really.. Hardest thing was getting the two cards to play nice with each other when I over clocked them.

Since no two cards will oc the same, it took a bit of juggling with the power lvls etc before they were stable.

Some games like SLI more games don't, and your CPU does have to work a little bit harder in that mode. Maybe try non-SLI and see the difference

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

 

 

This is definitely a recipe for fun most people don't get. More would even be better as the game goes on but the game has limits. Even if it had 'sleeper zeds' designed just to throw themselves at your defenses and die instantly to make you feel overwhelmed. I'd turn up horde night frequency before I'd go to 1 hour days. I also don't see how you could do 25% loot on anything less then 2hr days, you'd have to be MM lucky.

I leave it on ultra, 1080ti 8gb can handle it and I'm recording.

25% loot is very nice. Less stuff helps with inventory management. It makes the game feel more realistic by making almost everything empty early game. It also slows down item progression, but not much, as trader rewards are still OP. 

 

I always leave it on ultra. PUBG settings. Potato Ultra Blaster Gaming settings.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

25% loot is very nice. Less stuff helps with inventory management. It makes the game feel more realistic by making almost everything empty early game. It also slows down item progression, but not much, as trader rewards are still OP. 

That's actually the only thing I don't like about low loot percentages (the number of empty containers). It drives me mad opening and opening and not getting anything.
For instance, let's say normally some hypothetical container had 20 paper, 20 9mm, and 12 dukes. If I drop it to 25% it doesn't seem to work in a way such that it now would contain 5 paper, 5 9mm, and 3 dukes. It seems to either have one of these stacks or nothing at all.
That is of course, unless things have changed... I haven't tried 25% on this alpha

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

OK, but by "this case" I'm talking about why things are fine for me (and for STyK_) with these settings, but not for MM and others. I have an i9 which might be a difference, but I highly doubt Unity takes advantage of all my cores. I'm not talking about the general case that affects the low end the most.

That is a mystery only faatal can solve 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...