Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Im more curious what the names for legendary loot will be, it would be fun if we could get say a whole set of Madmoles Apocolyptic Gear, where it buffs stats and give bonuses to madmoles favorite way to play the game, like imagine finding a legendary miners helmet, that gave +2 into miner 69er, if it was possible to go above the level 5 rank with it as far as block damage goes it could make it amusing to see people wanting to collect miners gear simply for the bonuses to mining, admittedly i want some more effects to come from clothing, like a full set of military armor could give you 1 point into all weapon skills as if im not mistaken when training you have to use a variety of weapons anyways, legendary gear is always fun, having it as just glasses and goggles right now kinda sucks lol, but opens up for more.

Like having a full set of hazmat gear and it grants you the ability that every hit on an irradiated zombie will stop their regeneration

Full set of doctors garbs gives your medical items a better healing effect

Scientists outfit grants you an extra robotic turret active for a max of 3

stuff like that, could have a downside that they could just be clothes or armor that has lower stats with the legendary effect as a tradeoff, could be interesting, whats everyones thoughts on stuff like that for legendary gear as a change of topic

Interesting topics for filling some pages in the forum, but come on!! I want bandits, legendary items and random encounters. I don’t want to see the work on this stuff delayed because a group of people want to bring back the past. This game needs finishing and maybe for 7dtd2 they can do degradation. Bandits & random encounters will add so much more than reverting to degradation. Bring on the new stuff!!

3 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

Wonder if we're getting close to A19 Stable, seems like last patch note was significantly less than the rest.  A good sign. Not that I don't want more content but just good that stuff might be stable.

If you guys do another patch for Junk Drones during A19 would new world creation be required again? I am unfamiliar with how the A18-A18.4 cycle was

Well usually how it works in my experience is this:

First the game version is released in experimental only ... such as in this case.

Then, when the version is mostly okay it's released to the first stable version.

Then, you will have the choice of playing the stable version until the next patch, without all of the extra updates/potential wipes of the experimental version ... until the next stable version comes out (19.1 or whatever).

OR ... you can remain on the experimental branch, and get to play with all the fun stuff as they tweak it just like now.

Some people choose the stable branch because it means that the game will be mostly stable without requiring weekly wipes as new features are added or tested.  Some people choose to be on the experimental branch to get all the new goodies first and provide feedback.

Then, depending on the state of development, there may be additional "stable" patches (19.2, 19.3, etc) until the game is pretty much where they want it to be and all eyes turn to A20.  Which, from all the hints, is where the next batch of really good stuff is being investigated.  :)  One thing is for sure, it's not a boring process.

Sorry, I forgot the second part of your question.  I think for the first stable release it's always recommended that you start a new game.  Subsequent releases I believe they usually strongly recommend that you start a new game, but depending on what was released/changed sometimes you can continue your save.  You can usually count on people on the forums to say whether or not they were able to continue their save successfully.  Or you can try it and start a new save if you get errors or weirdness.

2 hours ago, Toban said:

I look at it like this: Crafting = Convenience. Looting = Reward for effort when you get the lvl 6.

I think it kinda makes sense because you can have pretty decent gear without having to hope you get that awesome item. Breaking most of the rubbish ones you find will make you a decent weapon/tool until you find the awesome one you want.

But is crafting an item really more convenient?  Maybe items that don’t now require parts, but since parts have been added back in, it is a lot of work to gather the materials to craft weapons/tools/armor. 

You can’t mine and sit in your base and craft these items. You have to be out there doing quests to earn dukes and looting parts just like everyone else. You are taking the same risks. You also can’t spam craft to get lucky specs due to the limited number of parts. 
So why couldn’t there be a small chance at least to craft a tier 6 just like there is a chance to loot a tier 6?

I do really enjoy looting and the new tiered loot, but I have also been trying to find usefulness in the current crafting system. The devs added parts back to the game, so I am making an effort to try to craft with them.
You are correct in saying that looting is more rewarding because the way things are balanced currently, the item parts I loot may as well be dukes.  Hopefully as things get tweaked the balance will get better. 

3 hours ago, Laynie said:

I too remember those effin days! I hated it 😅 If I find an awesome item, I want it to stay that way. 

Thank you for remembering the same thing!  After being smacked repeatedly over this and told that I was wrong I thought I was imagining remembering this, or if I was somehow remembering a modded server or something.

21 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Thank you for remembering the same thing!  After being smacked repeatedly over this and told that I was wrong I thought I was imagining remembering this, or if I was somehow remembering a modded server or something.

I don't remember anyone saying you were wrong, i was using it for constructive arguments, i miss those days where a weapon would slowly get weaker cause one part inside was breaking faster than the others, needing a repair or replacement, its like with the vehicle crits madmole is talking about, i wouldn't mind weapon crits for as they lose durability it might jam while firing, or jam when reloading, it would feed some realism even without degredation in there

I had a zombie dream last night. It was interesting because I pretty much had nothing but melee options available to me, and most were not very effective at all. I remember trying a sledgehammer, but this was way too hard to swing multiple times. A bat was ok, but it wasn't reliable at cracking skulls. They always took a few swings and both wooden and aluminum bats would break pretty easily. 

Axes and tire irons were great, but would get stuck. So I created my own weapon, which was basically a metal spear. I made two round metal plates with holes in the center the diameter of the spear. One of those plates I welded to the spear about 10 inches from the head. Then I slipped on a heavy duty spring, about 8 inches long, and fixed one end to the plate. I slipped on the second plate and fixed that to the top of the spring only. This worked the best for me because I could shove the tip into skulls and the spring would pop it back out. After testing it out, I decided I wanted to make a short, double-sided version for closer encounters... but then I woke up.

One thing i think would be neat is if we could program the drone to go mining, tell it to gather a certain resource and then when its inventory is full it returns to the bedroll, that would be useful, you could mine for coal and it could mine for nitrate, sure it would take some survival out of it but it would help, i could be out looting and it could be out gathering stone for me, should it get attacked you could have a pager on you, made of junk of course that would notify you of drone has taken critical damage, please retrieve and it gives you a set of coordinates, would be a stepping stone to npcs living in your base doing your farming and stuff should u be able to recruit npcs down the road

Here's a pot hole filled idea that might cover what I think some of the degradation advocates are really after, more to do in late game.

Include specialized Loot Bonuses into the individual Weapon Perks.

If you spec into Pistols, your chance of looting Pistols increases a bit, as compared to looting a shotgun, not an overall increase.

And also cap the Tier/Quality of looted non-spec'd weapons.

Don't kill me yet. :)

Not suggesting that a player would loot a T3/Q6 Pistol any earlier than they can now.

Point would be that instead of current, where you're looting the same Tier & Quality of -all- weapons at the same time, and you usually end up with one of each weapon at T3/Q6, including the ones you haven't spec'd into. You'd wind up having the top gear in what you spec'd into, and then later on you would have the choice to expand your skills into other weapons, and then be able to loot those in top T/Q.

Another couple potential benefits is that it could split up the generic "firearms" loot entry into two parts by adding a new, "specFirearms".

Meaning they could nerf general number of guns in loot, and still allow players to loot what they're mainly after.

And by lowering all the other non-spec weapons T/Q they've reduced some of the excess Dukes.

Could also be done for Heavy & Light Armor and melee weapons.

Like I said, potholes fer sure. Would need to factor in perceptions so enough 'random' non-spec weapons in loot to not seem overly artificial.

And answer, 'whats the highest Tier or Quality of non-spec stuff a player should be able to loot?". Maybe T1/Q6, T2/Q4, T3/Q3 ?

But it could add late game progression & a late game incentive to loot.

3 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

Here's a pot hole filled idea that might cover what I think some of the degradation advocates are really after, more to do in late game.

Include specialized Loot Bonuses into the individual Weapon Perks.

If you spec into Pistols, your chance of looting Pistols increases a bit, as compared to looting a shotgun, not an overall increase.

And also cap the Tier/Quality of looted non-spec'd weapons.

Don't kill me yet. :)

Not suggesting that a player would loot a T3/Q6 Pistol any earlier than they can now.

Point would be that instead of current, where you're looting the same Tier & Quality of -all- weapons at the same time, and you usually end up with one of each weapon at T3/Q6, including the ones you haven't spec'd into. You'd wind up having the top gear in what you spec'd into, and then later on you would have the choice to expand your skills into other weapons, and then be able to loot those in top T/Q.

Another couple potential benefits is that it could split up the generic "firearms" loot entry into two parts by adding a new, "specFirearms".

Meaning they could nerf general number of guns in loot, and still allow players to loot what they're mainly after.

And by lowering all the other non-spec weapons T/Q they've reduced some of the excess Dukes.

Could also be done for Heavy & Light Armor and melee weapons.

Like I said, potholes fer sure. Would need to factor in perceptions so enough 'random' non-spec weapons in loot to not seem overly artificial.

And answer, 'whats the highest Tier or Quality of non-spec stuff a player should be able to loot?". Maybe T1/Q6, T2/Q4, T3/Q3 ?

But it could add late game progression & a late game incentive to loot.

i like where your head is at, specialize in something and your character "looks" harder for it than others, maybe missing the shotgun on the rack cause the pistol stood out more, i.e. shotgun not shown in loot.  it would need tweaking to be sure but i like that idea, almost like a perk called

Raven - You like shiny stuff and nothing is shinier than what you love 5% chance to find speced equipment in loot -5% to other non speced items, or something like that lol

4 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

One thing i think would be neat is if we could program the drone to go mining, tell it to gather a certain resource and then when its inventory is full it returns to the bedroll, that would be useful, you could mine for coal and it could mine for nitrate, sure it would take some survival out of it but it would help, i could be out looting and it could be out gathering stone for me, should it get attacked you could have a pager on you, made of junk of course that would notify you of drone has taken critical damage, please retrieve and it gives you a set of coordinates, would be a stepping stone to npcs living in your base doing your farming and stuff should u be able to recruit npcs down the road

Ever play Deep Rock Galactic? When you play solo, you can have drone help you mine. It cannot locate it for you and it does not carry it for you though. You hold ctrl and click at the ore, and the drone starts mining it. You have to pick it up and place it in the mule. I just bring this up because the whole entire process doesn't need to be taken over by the drone... you could always have it do some specific but reasonable task to help you out.

1 minute ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Ever play Deep Rock Galactic? When you play solo, you can have drone help you mine. It cannot locate it for you and it does not carry it for you though. You hold ctrl and click at the ore, and the drone starts mining it. You have to pick it up and place it in the mule. I just bring this up because the whole entire process doesn't need to be taken over by the drone... you could always have it do some specific but reasonable task to help you out.

Never played it, sounds interesting though, i might have a look at it, im kinda hooked on Hardspace: Shipbreaker right now between my 7 days to die and other games, its one where you rip apart ships in space and salvage the entire ship, or accidentally detonate the engine core and destroy a lot of the stuff you wanted to scavenge

Just now, Phoenixshade35 said:

Never played it, sounds interesting though, i might have a look at it, im kinda hooked on Hardspace: Shipbreaker right now between my 7 days to die and other games, its one where you rip apart ships in space and salvage the entire ship, or accidentally detonate the engine core and destroy a lot of the stuff you wanted to scavenge

Ah... I was just looking at that recently, but haven't really seen anyone playing it yet.
Come to think of it, it appeared to me in the stream that showed off the drone, that the drone just picks a zombie nearby and starts attacking it. I suppose that's fine, but I think I would find it more like I was in control if I could do something like ctrl + click to choose which zombie it should target. Perhaps something like ctrl + left-click is shooting 9mm/turret ammo or something, and ctrl + right click tells the drone to target the zombie with rockets or some other explosive. Someone a few pages back was looking for more options to blast through walls... so maybe ctrl + right-click on some part of a wall as well.

2 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Ah... I was just looking at that recently, but haven't really seen anyone playing it yet.
Come to think of it, it appeared to me in the stream that showed off the drone, that the drone just picks a zombie nearby and starts attacking it. I suppose that's fine, but I think I would find it more like I was in control if I could do something like ctrl + click to choose which zombie it should target. Perhaps something like ctrl + left-click is shooting 9mm/turret ammo or something, and ctrl + right click tells the drone to target the zombie with rockets or some other explosive. Someone a few pages back was looking for more options to blast through walls... so maybe ctrl + right-click on some part of a wall as well.

I haven't seen the drone yet, been not wanting to watch those and i wanna play with it myself, i did a couple of videos on my youtube for hardspace, if you would like i could pm u the link to it

16 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

program the drone to go mining

Anything that adds even a bit of late game automation to mining sounds good to me!

To me, "late game" should basically become a purer sandbox, alls fair kind of thing.

Encourage players to go crazy, build huge, etc.

3 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I haven't seen the drone yet, been not wanting to watch those and i wanna play with it myself, i did a couple of videos on my youtube for hardspace, if you would like i could pm u the link to it

Sure, please do. I like seeing gameplay before deciding to buy.

Ok now to get back on topic, after eating some hamburgers, what do people think about compounding food, like you cook the meat and make grilled meat as always, then take the grilled meat and make stuff like a steak sandwich or a hamburger, would that be a good fit for 7 days to die?

7 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Can u massage me to?

and i sent it to u as well

Just now, Phoenixshade35 said:

if u take 2 quests one from 2 different traders and they are in the same poi, u have to turn in the quest u finished before this one can be activated

But I only had this 1 quest in my journal, along with a treasure map buried chest quest.

I did log out of the server in the middle of the quest because I had to go AFK for a while, I suppose that's what bugged it up?

Yeah I ended up just canceling the quest.

On that note, some of these Tier IV and Tier V clear locations are just... to be blunt, kind of a pain in the @%$*#! to clear.  I don't like how long it takes IRL to hunt down all the little forgotten monster closets of random zombies.

Could we make the helper pips on the radar show up sooner or otherwise be more aggressive, or maybe let the quest complete at a 90% clear or something?

I've gotten really good with the agility tree at clearing these places quietly and quickly, and then I spend hours wandering around an empty prefab trying to find some random zombie that was stuffed up in a roof block or down in some side room, you get the idea, and it just kinda sucks.

A few times I've literally wandered around the prefab firing my 44 magnum in the air trying to get the stragglers to aggro me or at least start making noise so I can figure out where they are.

Archived