Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

I understand your point of view, but its dont have any solid foundation. Because this game dont follow the reallity. In a reallity based game: your argument is OK.

The reality that Madmole is talking about is the reality of limited textures and the reality that they give us the same textures and blocks to build with that they use to create POI's that are set in a post apocalyptic world. The developers have no need for clean textures because everything they are putting into the game is grungy. As they need block shapes and textures they add them based upon the reality of space constraints and what they need to design locations in the world. So far they haven't needed clean stuff to build what they want. Hope that makes more sense. When you remember that this is a game that is still very much in development and realize that the priorities always sway towards what the developers need to make the game then your expectations will be more realistic.

22 minutes ago, Biscoitoso said:

Sad. If the devs cant do nothing about extra deco stuff, then we need relly to the modders to do something truly usefull and not buggy.

If you want it right now and are unwilling to wait until they are done with their work then yes-- you have to rely upon modders. Maybe if there is space left over once TFP is finished they can allocate some clean textures. But why would they tie up their resources with what you want? They would just have to take it away later if they needed the space and I suspect that the outrage would be 1000 fold if they did that....

I haven't looked at available paints/textures in a while, but all these posts about it made me remember the old Adobe blocks (A15?). I really liked the look of them, very soothing for some reason, and the 3(?) pale colors really complimented each other.

If it came down to a choice of a few 'fresh bright paints' or the Adobes, I'd vote for the adobes. :)

1 hour ago, rubens9311 said:

Just put less light bulbs. At least I do it like this. And I like that it illuminates a lot. That makes you spend less watts since with one spotlight per room it works

It is not about how many lights. It is about washing out all the textures around the light. Look at the right wall near the wood door and the sofa in the pictures I posted. There is too much glare from the light.

34 minutes ago, Roland said:

The reality that Madmole is talking about is the reality of limited textures and the reality that they give us the same textures and blocks to build with that they use to create POI's that are set in a post apocalyptic world. The developers have no need for clean textures because everything they are putting into the game is grungy. As they need block shapes and textures they add them based upon the reality of space constraints and what they need to design locations in the world. So far they haven't needed clean stuff to build what they want. Hope that makes more sense. When you remember that this is a game that is still very much in development and realize that the priorities always sway towards what the developers need to make the game then your expectations will be more realistic.

If you want it right now and are unwilling to wait until they are done with their work then yes-- you have to rely upon modders. Maybe if there is space left over once TFP is finished they can allocate some clean textures. But why would they tie up their resources with what you want? They would just have to take it away later if they needed the space and I suspect that the outrage would be 1000 fold if they did that....

1: Madmole dont mentioned nothing about "textures" to me, what he told is "What a survivor craft and dont craft".
2: I am not asking for fast implementations, I am asking if it is possible, and all everyone told me before you is: "No". I dont read nothing like: "In the future we will add more decorative stuff.".
3: I know the game is still in alpha since I bought that (around 4 years), you dont need tell me it is still under development. You even dont need explain me what an alpha stage is. As I already said, I am not asking for fast modifications, I just suggested new objects, I am not trying to force anyone to introduce it into the game.

If they cant add because optmization problems, ok.
If they dont want creat new objects, ok.
If they can add, but will do it later, ok.
If they cant add clean painting textures, ok.

My real request is: Can TFP add recipes or add to trader's store items that already are in the game?

All I want is a definitive answer and the ones @MechanicalLens gave me, is enough: TFP wont add more decorative items because optmization problems.

29 minutes ago, Biscoitoso said:

1: Madmole dont mentioned nothing about "textures" to me, what he told is "What a survivor craft and dont craft".
2: I am not asking for fast implementations, I am asking if it is possible, and all everyone told me before you is: "No". I dont read nothing like: "In the future we will add more decorative stuff.".
3: I know the game is still in alpha since I bought that (around 4 years), you dont need tell me it is still under development. You even dont need explain me what an alpha stage is. As I already said, I am not asking for fast modifications, I just suggested new objects, I am not trying to force anyone to introduce it into the game.

If they cant add because optmization problems, ok.
If they dont want creat new objects, ok.
If they can add, but will do it later, ok.
If they cant add clean painting textures, ok.

My real request is: Can TFP add recipes or add to trader's store items that already are in the game?

All I want is a definitive answer and the ones @MechanicalLens gave me, is enough: TFP wont add more decorative items because optmization problems.

He does have a point, Biscoitoso. Priorities must be met first, and after that, they'll see if there is any wriggle room left for some bonus textures. Until then, they have to make the game first, and that is all. As far as alternatives are considered, you can either rely on modders, or you can access most of what you desire through the creative menu. Perhaps writing down the hypothetical crafting materials for each of the deco items could help sway your opinion, that's what I do.

Biscoitoso

Mods will have what you want, for example the Home Depot mod takes many items from the creative menu and puts them into the trader where they can be purchased and the workshop where they can be crafted.
Sittable furniture turns some furniture into vehicles so they can interacted with, for exemple, take a shower, relax in a jacuzzi, spin on carousal or sit on toilet. Those are a few examples of what is available, there are many more mods under the building and other category's which offer excellent additions to the game. Install is simple and most authors have the install method written within their description.
https://7daystodiemods.com/

4 hours ago, Onarr said:

@madmole I really enjoy seeing other people builds, building techniques and defense designs. Would it be possible to create a sticky topic somewhere eg.: "Show us your builds" in General discussion. I kinda miss such a tread to gather inspiration for building new cool stuff and showing mine.

I love this idea! I really enjoy looking at other folks builds too. It would be great to have a place to share :) I know my "Castle Nerd" of a hubby would love this :D

13 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Sucks cause now I can't do the no cheese base demo horde night or the no nerd poll playthough if it looks like that. You wouldn't see anything half the time.

I take it back! The setup vids I was watching were making it way more complicated then it had to be. Just have to see how much room indistinguishable takes up. I have 500gigs to work with though so should be alright. Now hopefully the update doesn't screw up my save. No nerd poll playthough is happening though 😁

10 hours ago, SolutOdka said:

With my friends, in our first MP game of Alpha 19, we built this Castle :):

Castle Base !

We were pretty happy of the construction features, but it could be cool to consider adding a couple of things :

* more paint textures, wallpapers, etc...

* consider adding features to put some as favorites, or group them into categories, something like that,

* the old windows in previous alphas were cool, the new window is not as good as they look dirty => more window styles please !

* if this could be possible to paint doors, hatches, and other fixtures, that could be great (see in attached video how our doors of the rooms look like...),

* it would be awesome, if instead of having a bedroll in our bedroom, we could select the built bed as a respawn point.

* toilets, beds, etc ... that are brand newly crafted should not be looking dirty and old, ideally.

Some ideas for consideration :).

It looks so good, you guys :)

On 7/31/2020 at 5:19 PM, Laz Man said:

Something new ive been experimenting with (not sure if new or if im late to the party) are the incline and narrow wedge blocks.  Just type narrow or incline into the CM and let your imagination run wild (may need to toggle dev filter for some). :) 

Edit:  Also forgot about all the different sized "gable" blocks.  here is the arch design I did for my A19 Church POI (Tier 2 Quest)

Arches.jpg

Real pretty :D

9 hours ago, FileMachete said:

I haven't looked at available paints/textures in a while, but all these posts about it made me remember the old Adobe blocks (A15?). I really liked the look of them, very soothing for some reason, and the 3(?) pale colors really complimented each other.

If it came down to a choice of a few 'fresh bright paints' or the Adobes, I'd vote for the adobes. :)

The adobes are still there ... but they're no longer pretty.  they're grungy and mangy and it looks like your wall got shat upon by a bunch of incontinent pigeons.

10 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

Sad. If the devs cant do nothing about extra deco stuff, then we need relly to the modders to do something truly usefull and not buggy.

You're missing the point. This is not about modders having to use their amazing skills to create "not buggy decorations".

Good looking decorations are expensive to render. It's about players not using them as responsively as level designers and that is what can hurt performance.

That is why decoration options are limited.

The real advantage that modders have is that they are not going to be held responsible for bad performance. =P

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

You're missing the point. This is not about modders having to use their amazing skills to create "not buggy decorations".

Good looking decorations are expensive to render. It's about players not using them as responsively as level designers and that is what can hurt performance.

The real advantage that modders have is that they are not going to be held responsible for bad performance. =P

Lets be honest Gazz... when modders make it and terrible things happen people are gonna yell at you anyways. 😛

Not supporting the idea the you need to make these assets available for player placement, just making fun of the average gamer's inability to recognize that performance issues caused by mods aren't really your guys responsibility. :)

I noticed something while recording a test video. The time is set to when it happens, just listen for the hit connect sound when I line them up for the kill shot, there is none till I move closer. This is an old save from B169 but I believe it could be replicated. Feel free to watch the vultures nearly get me as well. 

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Its looks like you get offended by my words. Take it easy. Sorry if you feel like that. I am not programer, I am just a gammer who love to play this game. Sorry for my ignorance in the matters of programming. I am just asked if my request could be fulfilled. If not, ok.

And about "buggy mods", dont misunderstand me, many are bugged, many not, and sometimes just one bugged mod can destroy a entire savegame with hundreds of gameplay. It is a risk we players take sometimes trying turn the game experience more enjoyable. Thats why I have requested more decorative stuff to you, because it is much more trustworthy if the things are inside the vanilla version who has been developed, tested and revised by professionals who have the responsibility over their shoulders, the same responsibility you mentioned.

I already have understood the problem with performance even before your words. But thank you for your attention and detailed explanation.

The answer for my request was: no (at least, for now).

Life goes on.

Stay safe and well. Drink water.

4 hours ago, Gazz said:

What if we had a limit of items per land claim block? i think you could solve a lot of problems by expanding what a land claim does, there are a ton of things you could add to land claims and remove from the open world if you wanted, some things are great for building and some of those same things are terrible for the open world (nerdpoling)

1 hour ago, bloodmoth13 said:

What if we had a limit of items per land claim block? i think you could solve a lot of problems by expanding what a land claim does, there are a ton of things you could add to land claims and remove from the open world if you wanted, some things are great for building and some of those same things are terrible for the open world (nerdpoling)

If I understand this correctly, the exploit would be to move the LCB a bit after you hit the limit. By always building at the edge of the LCB's range you effectively eliminated the limit.

And no, it isn't a good counter to remove all decos above the limit if the LCB is removed 😉

Honestly I don't quite get the argument of "too many poly's would crash the game". I can already make my game fall to it's knees by planting trees everywhere, where's the limitations to how many seeds I can plant in a single chunk ? I can make my base be a nightmare to navigate through by enabling shadows and putting too many lights everywhere, how is the game supposed to lock me out of doing that ?

People can always wreck their game in various ways, I find it quite sad that we're unable to make use of all the awesome decorations the artists make, because of something taken to the extreme by a handful of players. A new tool (special wrench or whatever) to be found in the world that lets you pickup various deco blocks for you to take away would be such an amazing thing to do besides opening cupboards and sinks.

Does time continue after death?

I set my current game to 14 day horde nights, on day 42 (a horde night), I was getting everything set, but it was late and a Sat and to be honest, I had a couple of drinks and I thought I exited the game but I hadn't and when I looked (the following AM), I had died and had that re-spawn screen where you could start on your bedroll or near it. I re-spawned but it was now day 47! I have no idea what happened to the other 5 days, even if I lived through the horde (doing nothing), I can't believe I would live 5 days without eating or drinking. 

Does game time keep going after you die until you choose to re-spawn?

Just curious as I've never see that before.

TIA

15 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Honestly I don't quite get the argument of "too many poly's would crash the game". I can already make my game fall to it's knees by planting trees everywhere, where's the limitations to how many seeds I can plant in a single chunk ? I can make my base be a nightmare to navigate through by enabling shadows and putting too many lights everywhere, how is the game supposed to lock me out of doing that ?

People can always wreck their game in various ways, I find it quite sad that we're unable to make use of all the awesome decorations the artists make, because of something taken to the extreme by a handful of players. A new tool (special wrench or whatever) to be found in the world that lets you pickup various deco blocks for you to take away would be such an amazing thing to do besides opening cupboards and sinks.

If you want to use the deco blocks, you have several options:

1) Use creative menu and bring them in, then build to your heart's content.

2) Mod them in ... create recipes for them then build with them to your heart's content.

3) Get one or more of the beautiful mods that are out there that have introduced additional deco blocks. There are mods out there with absolutely beautiful furniture and building items.

The devs are responsible for releasing the vanilla game in a way that fulfills their vision (their's, not ours) while allowing the game to run reasonably stably on many different computer platforms. I am sure that the repeated posts of 'the game crashes my computer' make their eyeballs bleed. 

And what you have to understand is they're not just building the game for someone who understands computers and how game performance works. They also have to take into account the people who don't understand these things and instead see all the pretty shiny things and want to put them in one place ... and then because they don't understand that they are the cause of the issues, coming here and posting more 'the game crashes my computer' posts ... which makes the devs eyeballs bleed.  You just can't write good code when your eyeballs are bleeding.  True fact!

So, they release the vanilla version for the 'let's put everything in the world into one box' people ... and let the modders take care of the rest.  Hopefully by the time the box people progress to figuring out how to use mods they've learned enough that they can use the new items responsibly.

We are lucky that the pimps listen to us as much as they do. They could just say 'this is our game, deal with it!'  They could also make it so the game isn't moddable ... then we'd all be up a creek. There are so many players, each of whom appears to have a different 'vision' for how the game should be played and what makes the game enjoyable to them. Thankfully there are also a ton of modders (bless your clever minds and fingers) who help bring those visions to life. You can play the vanilla game or you can mod it into whatever version of the game works for you.

So let the devs focus on doing what only they can do ... and let the modders do what they do ... and everyone can be reasonably happy with the result.

6 minutes ago, analog said:

Does time continue after death?

I set my current game to 14 day horde nights, on day 42 (a horde night), I was getting everything set, but it was late and a Sat and to be honest, I had a couple of drinks and I thought I exited the game but I hadn't and when I looked (the following AM), I had died and had that re-spawn screen where you could start on your bedroll or near it. I re-spawned but it was now day 47! I have no idea what happened to the other 5 days, even if I lived through the horde (doing nothing), I can't believe I would live 5 days without eating or drinking. 

Does game time keep going after you die until you choose to re-spawn?

Just curious as I've never see that before.

TIA

Yes, if someone is logged into the game the time will continue to run. Time only stops when no one is logged into the game.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived