Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

So I hear there is a patch coming soon and my world mite brake going though another update as this save was started B169. Tried to do a video but my captures come out looking really fuzzy and I can't figure out why forsure. My guess is because I'm playing on a TV and my resolution is different causing issues, I can't put my finger on it, adjusting the options in quality isn't doing anything. I'm running a 1080 ti so it should be working. Upload is good enough to stream but I don't think that would be any better. Sucks cause now I can't do the no cheese base demo horde night or the no nerd poll playthough if it looks like that. You wouldn't see anything half the time.

I figured atleast the poi guys could see what I did flipping their work. Its missing all the toys I intended as I'm on the verge of advanced engineering, needed that crucible. Lots of blade traps on the outside walls and in each room, electric fence on the inside of the walls, back boards to splash the mollie on throwing though the hatches, and the second portion of the wall going around the front did not get finished. The pics don't include the tunnel system or hiddin hatch to get in the base though them. You get the idea though, each room is its own defense point with the ability to fall back to another and if they take a room the roofs are gone so you can mollie them while they're all piled in the room. 3 stage defense from any direction. Fight at the walls, fall back to the rooms/Mini bunker, fall back to the roof.

Incase your wondering, the zeds don't even consider the tunnel system unless you stay down there.

Spoiler

Base_1.thumb.png.3892aba04f758bec73b58312530153c5.pngbase_2.thumb.png.b993d413f4d8789f99cfe0b632977f60.pngbase_3.thumb.png.f76a12a7ba81997b87233a1ec12fd32c.pngbase_4.thumb.png.94462b09993d8c4bba2904c066eeccc9.pngbase_5.thumb.png.0e4ffee14dac773a86c5f2b0e938babd.pngbase_6.thumb.png.5717fb8ed28e01d9fe1582a967fc284a.pngbase_7.thumb.png.5dc4f9429e756be57fac974a6137f939.pngbase_8.thumb.png.0fc38cb7ea0023b35021c0a999aa12be.pngBase_9.thumb.png.0991e5e64eecbd26ae860a5191858a96.pngbase_10.thumb.png.fcdbe87f4ed617f4ad105017e3aac4f0.png

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

That's a nice base, though personally I like more "compact" ones lol

It would be easier, I've always done this base or the shamway sized equivalent though. I do appreciate the walls and new design. Used to be easier, slows you down when you can't find all the parts for the augar. 25% loot definitely took its toll, all my gear was either made, quest rewards, or I bought it.

My big plan for the time of the demos was to space blade traps and landmines around inside the walls for once they breached and beable to kite them around the compound shooting them and throwing contact grenades and mollies from the top of the inside wall. End game would have the wall divided in to 5x5 rooms with a blade trap in the middle. So basically the design for the roof less rooms but everywhere.

I'll admit this base would be better for a small group but I have fun.

Edit: For the poi guys, those concrete pad walkways are a pain in the $%^. Its probably by design though. 

With my friends, in our first MP game of Alpha 19, we built this Castle :):

Castle Base !

We were pretty happy of the construction features, but it could be cool to consider adding a couple of things :

* more paint textures, wallpapers, etc...

* consider adding features to put some as favorites, or group them into categories, something like that,

* the old windows in previous alphas were cool, the new window is not as good as they look dirty => more window styles please !

* if this could be possible to paint doors, hatches, and other fixtures, that could be great (see in attached video how our doors of the rooms look like...),

* it would be awesome, if instead of having a bedroll in our bedroom, we could select the built bed as a respawn point.

* toilets, beds, etc ... that are brand newly crafted should not be looking dirty and old, ideally.

Some ideas for consideration :).

9 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

@madmole Me and most ppl I know, love the building aspects of this game. I always play in PVE cause I like build, just craft and build. And I miss very much recipes and paintings textures.

To be honest, I am very gratefull what TFP did in the last versions of the game, the R to change block shape is superb and very functional. The extra shapes to storage box too. But I miss more doors, specially dual doors (I can build dual door using 2 single doors, but they not will work as a one door and not will open in opposite sides.).

We want more doors, glass doors, commercial doors recipes and house doors. Medical forniture, medical beds too, they already exist in the game, all TFP need to do is create recipes. And we cant forgot the electrical lamps, we want more styles.

We want clean paintings textures, almost all the ones we have in the game looks like deteriorated. When I paint with blue, I dont want a deteriorated blue, I want a clean and neat blue texture.

I know our characters live in a post-apocalyptic world, but we are survivors and we are rebuilding the world, or at least we want play in this role. Like an RPG. Every time I played this game, I have played in PVE servers and aways shared my base. I aways build hotels or villages and let others players live with me, or near me, creating enormous communities. And we all, builders, miss forniture, doors, lamps and clean painting textures.

That's why I get your attention. I am bored of looking for good mods to fill that aspect of the game. I know you and your team already have much work to do, if you cant add more painting textures for now, please, add recipes to already existing forniture in the game. Or at least, put more forniture options to sell in the trader, like the air conditioners what we already have!

Very thank you for your attention.

Stay safe and well. 😊

What you want is a simple mod. It just doesn't make sense for a survivor to make a nice glass door, or to waste non streaming texture space on clean textures that would look severely out of place when used. We are talking about a technology that would allow us to clean up some of the textures then use an overlay or damage decal to add the random destruction to the textures, or at least allow tinting. Not sure if any of that will happen. We do want double doors for everyone, but it won't be a nice commercial door (mod it) it will be something crude a survivor might make.

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

*Opens Bag of Tricks*

Since you asked... :)

A20.0_2020-07-31_23-07-31.jpg

Oh damn I didn't even recognize my own work, I made all those shapes. For some reason I thought the glass was a plate behind it and we had arches without that glass, which was what I was wanting to make awesome looking  bridges with 3 meter arches under them. I might not have made the arch 3m cnr though, I bet Brad did that one.

1 hour ago, SolutOdka said:

With my friends, in our first MP game of Alpha 19, we built this Castle :):

Castle Base !

We were pretty happy of the construction features, but it could be cool to consider adding a couple of things :

* more paint textures, wallpapers, etc...

* consider adding features to put some as favorites, or group them into categories, something like that,

* the old windows in previous alphas were cool, the new window is not as good as they look dirty => more window styles please !

* if this could be possible to paint doors, hatches, and other fixtures, that could be great (see in attached video how our doors of the rooms look like...),

* it would be awesome, if instead of having a bedroll in our bedroom, we could select the built bed as a respawn point.

* toilets, beds, etc ... that are brand newly crafted should not be looking dirty and old, ideally.

Some ideas for consideration :).

Cool base tour!

We definitely need some clean wood framed windows.
I always thought the big beds worked, but there does need to be room for a player to spawn so maybe that is why.

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

Oh damn I didn't even recognize my own work, I made all those shapes. For some reason I thought the glass was a plate behind it and we had arches without that glass, which was what I was wanting to make awesome looking  bridges with 3 meter arches under them. I might not have made the arch 3m cnr though, I bet Brad did that one.

...I'll take that as a compliment :)

10 minutes ago, madmole said:

What you want is a simple mod. It just doesn't make sense for a survivor to make a nice glass door, or to waste non streaming texture space on clean textures that would look severely out of place when used. We are talking about a technology that would allow us to clean up some of the textures then use an overlay or damage decal to add the random destruction to the textures, or at least allow tinting. Not sure if any of that will happen. We do want double doors for everyone, but it won't be a nice commercial door (mod it) it will be something crude a survivor might make.

Any chance of making it so modders can add additional paint textures? (As far as I know it's still not possible, but i could be wrong)

That way you guys can continue concentrating on what you do ... and the modders that are giving us pretty furniture (thank you guys very much) can also maybe give us more pretty paint options. :) 

Although the idea of being able to undestroy the existing paints is also nice ... then you could have levels of pretty or not so pretty.

Not that I don't love the paints we have now and agree they fit very nicely with the death and doom atmosphere ... but choices aren't bad, right?

11 hours ago, madmole said:

Another random solution:
Take quest, reset POI right away, if vacant.
Land claim like traders (invulnerable) for 48 hours.

Player has to get there in that time to activate the quest, which turns off invulnerability.

MadMole

I had a thought regarding this.

If it can be enacted then you can actually set any/every POI to potentially be a sweep N clear, or fetch quest.

Less repeated poi calls.

Depending on quest level of difficulty, "Tiers" then Tier 5 or an ultra tier can be assigned to something like

the apartment building where the dogs are in the basement. And a random Horde night Gamestage can be

added to or replace the default spawn.

I imagine, entering a building, with unknown level and type of
entitity classes, entering this a player would need plenty of
resources at the ready. To build makeshift fortification on the fly.

Do you barricade yourself in a room and take your chances that the zombies wont come through the ceiling

or tear the floor from under you?
Gotta remember they also attack support structures. Do you run and bash and gun and potentially run out of ammo?
Don't forget the bombers.

Time and tide are against you twice. First for the quest, and second because another horde is coming on the 7th day.

It would inspire some teamwork and quick thinking.

Benefits, Not mandatory can be added as a special choice unlocked after surviving the first horde , Provides potential to increase xp and well earned loot bags, And greater rewards "earned" from the trader upon completion.

Since it can be made as difficult as you want, The quest can be divided into quarter completions, so if it cant be completed

at least something is earned.

Potential placement for non immersion breaking, certain plots of land with nothing on them can be Trader land claim blocked, and only set the poi of choice during quest time, after ejection,have it removed. Ejecting player far enough away not to see the change.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I understand your point of view, but its dont have any solid foundation. Because this game dont follow the reallity. In a reallity based game: your argument is OK. In a game like 7D2D it is not ok. It is not fair you let a character without any equipament fall from a skycraper without any damage just because it have ate a candy, and dont let players like me have a glass door.

We builders are a good % of your public, and customers as well, most players who play in PVE servers, play because they like build. I know a lot of guys what just play in creative. The game will not lose its "survival post apocalyptic charm" if you add some fancy decorative items and painting textures. They will be options to the ones who want use. If you doubt it, just open a voting and ask to your players: "Have the game need more decorative items?" - Yes / No. And see whats happen.

"Mod it" => What I can do if dont know how to mod? Or what I can do if dont found any mod for what I want? And what I can do if the modding community just dont answer my request?

If TFP already have very much work, then dont need creat new items, just creat recipes for the already existing ones or add to trader, like commercial doors.

Thanks for your attention.

Stay safe and well.

16 minutes ago, Biscoitoso said:

It is not fair you let a character without any equipament fall from a skycraper without any damage just because it have ate a candy, and dont let players like me have a glass door.

I agree I would have rather got a make shift parachute. I believe candy was meant to be an easy fix to a lot of things the players where asking for at the expense of realism/emersion. Its their vison though. We're all at their mercy.

12 hours ago, madmole said:

Another random solution:
Take quest, reset POI right away, if vacant.
Land claim like traders (invulnerable) for 48 hours.

Player has to get there in that time to activate the quest, which turns off invulnerability.

I can live with this one. It might not be perfect, but it's close enough for my taste.
I would prefer a real time timer on that though... so that this duration is the same whether the game is set to 2 hr days or 10 minute days.

@madmoleWould it be possible to make player crafted lights have a dimmer switch built in, so players can set the brightness of the light? This way you can make each rooms lighting unique.

A19.0_2020-07-31_01-11-42.thumb.jpg.a5aabf8b4c9b2214afcd09b3dac76d21.jpg

Top pic is default 3.0

Bottom pic is 2.5

A19.0_2020-07-31_01-12-13.thumb.jpg.1a10aef4419eee71e2c6629f55b5408f.jpg

lighting is better at lower intensity

A19.0_2020-08-01_14-30-22.thumb.jpg.9f716ddee40c48a2bac011ff35af3dab.jpg

Another example

@madmole I really enjoy seeing other people builds, building techniques and defense designs. Would it be possible to create a sticky topic somewhere eg.: "Show us your builds" in General discussion. I kinda miss such a tread to gather inspiration for building new cool stuff and showing mine.

44 minutes ago, cammel said:

@madmoleWould it be possible to make player crafted lights have a dimmer switch built in, so players can set the brightness of the light? This way you can make each rooms lighting unique.

A19.0_2020-07-31_01-11-42.thumb.jpg.a5aabf8b4c9b2214afcd09b3dac76d21.jpg

Top pic is default 3.0

Bottom pic is 2.5

A19.0_2020-07-31_01-12-13.thumb.jpg.1a10aef4419eee71e2c6629f55b5408f.jpg

lighting is better at lower intensity

I love this idea, sometimes the lights are just damn intense

10 minutes ago, Onarr said:

@madmole I really enjoy seeing other people builds, building techniques and defense designs. Would it be possible to create a sticky topic somewhere eg.: "Show us your builds" in General discussion. I kinda miss such a tread to gather inspiration for building new cool stuff and showing mine.

That's Roland's domain. :caked:

18 minutes ago, Onarr said:

Those ones usually die out pretty quick due to minimal interaction with devs. *Shrug*

1 hour ago, Biscoitoso said:

I understand your point of view, but its dont have any solid foundation. Because this game dont follow the reallity. In a reallity based game: your argument is OK. In a game like 7D2D it is not ok. It is not fair you let a character without any equipament fall from a skycraper without any damage just because it have ate a candy, and dont let players like me have a glass door.

We builders are a good % of your public, and customers as well, most players who play in PVE servers, play because they like build. I know a lot of guys what just play in creative. The game will not lose its "survival post apocalyptic charm" if you add some fancy decorative items and painting textures. They will be options to the ones who want use. If you doubt it, just open a voting and ask to your players: "Have the game need more decorative items?" - Yes / No. And see whats happen.

"Mod it" => What I can do if dont know how to mod? Or what I can do if dont found any mod for what I want? And what I can do if the modding community just dont answer my request?

If TFP already have very much work, then dont need creat new items, just creat recipes for the already existing ones or add to trader, like commercial doors.

Thanks for your attention.

Stay safe and well.

Your poll question is leading. No player will say "no" to more features. You have to tell players as well what the drawback is (for example what other feature has to be dropped for it or that low end PCs can't play the game anymore...)

There is no need for a poll that wouldn't be accepted as representative anyway. TFP got telemetry data now, they can find out how many people play creative or even with zombies turned off and whether more effort there might pay off.

1 hour ago, TylerDB said:

I love this idea, sometimes the lights are just damn intense

Just put less light bulbs. At least I do it like this. And I like that it illuminates a lot. That makes you spend less watts since with one spotlight per room it works

Have to agree with the request for some fresher paints as that is something survivors would eventually want to do. Escapism from the grim reality an' all. It might be an apocalyptic setting but I highly doubt survivors (the ones that intend to live long that is) would want to live in absolute filth either. This used to irk me with Fallout 4, especially that cafe with the mother and her drug addict son. There's still skeletons from the war still in their seats, 200 years later.

Have to agree with more lighting options as well. I typically have to use the mining lanterns in my builds because the electrical lights hammer performance too much and the POI lights don't work on our builds sadly.

19 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Your poll question is leading. No player will say "no" to more features. You have to tell players as well what the drawback is (for example what other feature has to be dropped for it or that low end PCs can't play the game anymore...)

There is no need for a poll that wouldn't be accepted as representative anyway. TFP got telemetry data now, they can find out how many people play creative or even with zombies turned off and whether more effort there might pay off.

Add recipes to items that already exist dont will turn the game more "heavy" to any PC. All the data about the item already exists, even its graphics, hit box, etc. This game lacks of decorating stuff. They have added the R menu to Storage Box, it is amazing, but we want craft/buy others objects that already exists in the game. If you dont want add recipes, just add it to traders store and we will be ok. We already have air conditioner and sinks, why not doors or hospital beds?

1 minute ago, Biscoitoso said:

Add recipes to items that already exist dont will turn the game more "heavy" to any PC. All the data about the item already exists, even its graphics, hit box, etc. This game lacks of decorating stuff. They have added the R menu to Storage Box, it is amazing, but we want craft/buy others objects that already exists in the game. If you dont want add recipes, just add it to traders store and we will be ok. We already have air conditioner and sinks, why not doors or hospital beds?

Madmole mentioned something about high draw call and not wanting players to place hundreds of high draw call objects in the same chunk and then crash or lag out their game, so they'll probably just remain in the creative menu if you want to use them.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Madmole mentioned something about high draw call and not wanting players to place hundreds of high draw call objects in the same chunk and then crash or lag out their game, so they'll probably just remain in the creative menu if you want to use them.

Sad. If the devs cant do nothing about extra deco stuff, then we need relly to the modders to do something truly usefull and not buggy.

And to be honest, I am feared about mods, becouse they say one thing, but do 3289140389089. For example:

"This mod add one extra slot to forges."

In the gameplay: the extra slot, the zinc, the copper... What? I dont have asked for zinc and copper...

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived