Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Oh nooooo, don't link it here, they'll break patch it again -_-

Too late. They probably would have found it anyway.

Not editing the post, sorry. ;)

Beside, it is a glitch, and it's the obligation for us players, of an alpha game, to report them, either directly or indirectly.

3 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Not all "glitches" need to be patched out though, especially not when it's actually useful and covers a completely missing niche in the game. Blizzard actually just talked about this exact topic in their AMA yesterday. They look at weird physic bugs like the hatchframe elevator and assess it's uses and why it's used and just polish into an actual feature

1, It's Activision Blizzard and has been for a long time. 2, I doubt that TFP would want a working elevator in the game. This is the apocalypse, not a resort. 3, We'll see what happens. :)

11 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

1, It's Activision Blizzard and has been for a long time. 2, I doubt that TFP would want a working elevator in the game. This is the apocalypse, not a resort. 3, We'll see what happens.

1. I dunno what you mean, unless you are calling out me saying Blizzard instead of the full name?? In which case, it's "The Fun Pimps", not "TFP" etc.

2. That's just illogical and irrelevant. We have working cars, we have working garage doors, we have working lights and generators, we have a freaking gyrocopter and automated flying drone with a lightning canon dude. Also, as per always, Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Realism. TFP quite obviously care more about practicality and fun than strict lore restrictions

3. Well yeah duh, but they've already killed it once without addressing it in years. This game has several useful / fun and silly bugs that don't really need to be fixed like the spider-man motorcycles, junksledge yeeting players, and the hatchframe elevator.  Mostly harmless bugs that all increase player enjoyment

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

1. I dunno what you mean, unless you are calling out me saying Blizzard instead of the full name?? In which case, "it's The Fun Pimps, not TFP" etc.

2. That's just illogical and irrelevant. We have working cars, we have working garage doors, we have working lights and generators, we have a freaking gyrocopter dude

3. Well yeah duh, but they've already killed it once without addressing it in years. This game has several useful / fun and silly bugs that don't really need to be fixed like the spider-man motorcycles, junksledge yeeting players, and the hatchframe elevator.  Mostly harmless bugs

I'm pretty sure robotic sledges yeeting players was patched out, unless you were lumping it into that category.

1 minute ago, Khalagar said:

oooooooof, rip silly coop shenanigans

I could see it causing issues though. Yeeting the trader, yeeting a player beside the trader and they couldn't get out without cheating themselves out, etc. It was a fun bug, but I had no doubt in my mind that it was going to get fixed at some point. And it did, one of the patches fixed it, either b169 or b173.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

They've talked about a flamethrower trap (still up in the air though), but otherwise I'm pretty sure TFP are done with electricity. Their words, not mine.

Great.
Anyway I was thinking of different lights, maybe water pumps? True thermal or "fuse" outlets? I don't know ...
 I'm just saying things when I do it.
 Everything that has to do with electricity in this game I love

1 minute ago, rubens9311 said:

Great.
Anyway I was thinking of different lights, maybe water pumps? True thermal or "fuse" outlets? I don't know ...
 I'm just saying things when I do it.
 Everything that has to do with electricity in this game I love

With that being said, I would love a massive mechanical slingshot that launches me in my jeep all the way to the nearest trader... 😏

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Something new ive been experimenting with (not sure if new or if im late to the party) are the incline and narrow wedge blocks.  Just type narrow or incline into the CM and let your imagination run wild (may need to toggle dev filter for some). :) 

Edit:  Also forgot about all the different sized "gable" blocks.  here is the arch design I did for my A19 Church POI (Tier 2 Quest)

Arches.jpg

Those arches look awesome, what are those block names?

4 hours ago, Roland said:

So visually cheesy. I get it. Having the POI reset out of sight would be nice. Maybe if the exclamation point can be changed to a person and you have to turn your back to the property to face them could make it a little better. 

Yeah immersion breaking. I just dug up all this sand, harvested the cement mixer, the sandbags... now its magically back.

Another random solution:
Take quest, reset POI right away, if vacant.
Land claim like traders (invulnerable) for 48 hours.

Player has to get there in that time to activate the quest, which turns off invulnerability.

This would make it so you can't double harvest, and you wouldn't see it rebuild magically before your eyes. The caveat is you have a limited time to get the job done, which seems reasonable, people hiring contractors usually have deadlines.

4 hours ago, Star69 said:

I really need to give a shout out to you castle builders. I don't have an artistic bone in my body so when I see the stuff you guys build, I'm jealous as heck. I'm a solid math/science guy and I've tried to create stuff, I just don't have the talent. I will stick to my square base and just admire what you guys build. Seriously, keep posting pics for me and others like me that aren't creative. Very impressive stuff. Thanks for sharing.

You can always find something cool and then copy it. Its geometry, no talent needed.

4 hours ago, Darinth said:

I've been running a vanilla server with a half-dozen+ people for over a month and nobody has complained about disconnected cities or any particularly terrible world gen. Some road intersections are a *little* messed up (terrain goes up or down in weird locations) but... overall it worked pretty well. I may try a nitro-gen for my next run after A19 goes to stable, but the vanilla world gen certainly doesn't seem to be as horrible as you make it sound. It does take forever and a day though... (40+ minutes to generate)

Guys, nitrogen is a mod, and mods are off topic. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Pegasus said:

how to make a very nice round tower. ... how?  Please?

Ask and thou shall receive... sometimes :)

EeT3ezAVAAEib9K?format=jpg&name=large

@madmole Me and most ppl I know, love the building aspects of this game. I always play in PVE cause I like build, just craft and build. And I miss very much recipes and paintings textures.

To be honest, I am very gratefull what TFP did in the last versions of the game, the R to change block shape is superb and very functional. The extra shapes to storage box too. But I miss more doors, specially dual doors (I can build dual door using 2 single doors, but they not will work as a one door and not will open in opposite sides.).

We want more doors, glass doors, commercial doors recipes and house doors. Medical forniture, medical beds too, they already exist in the game, all TFP need to do is create recipes. And we cant forgot the electrical lamps, we want more styles.

We want clean paintings textures, almost all the ones we have in the game looks like deteriorated. When I paint with blue, I dont want a deteriorated blue, I want a clean and neat blue texture.

I know our characters live in a post-apocalyptic world, but we are survivors and we are rebuilding the world, or at least we want play in this role. Like an RPG. Every time I played this game, I have played in PVE servers and aways shared my base. I aways build hotels or villages and let others players live with me, or near me, creating enormous communities. And we all, builders, miss forniture, doors, lamps and clean painting textures.

That's why I get your attention. I am bored of looking for good mods to fill that aspect of the game. I know you and your team already have much work to do, if you cant add more painting textures for now, please, add recipes to already existing forniture in the game. Or at least, put more forniture options to sell in the trader, like the air conditioners what we already have!

Very thank you for your attention.

Stay safe and well. 😊

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Another random solution:

Take quest, reset POI right away, if vacant.
Land claim like traders (invulnerable) for 48 hours.

Player has to get there in that time to activate the quest, which turns off invulnerability.

Exactly what I thought of. I'd love to see that or something similar implemented. Every time I hit that bouncing exclamation point and the POI resets I die a bit inside haha.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

No, I meant that someone found a way to revive the hatch elevator using the hatch elevator and a garage door at their feet.

Apologies if I'm not supposed to post this here. If not, then at least in my defense, TFP can look at it themselves and decide if they want to patch it out or not.

I posted this design here on forums a couple months ago, but fully automatic & no jumping required. I even have floor selection 😁 

15 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm not a fan of inconsistencies. So at my base I can magically place a frame under my feet, but lose this ability elsewhere? Most people don't even use a claim so it would become a hidden feature.

Eh, id think of it less as an inconsistency and more a perk for building in your land claim area. Its like not being able to pick up workbenches in the open world vs ones you place personally in your land claim zone.

That is a possible solution to nerdpoling though, there will be a number of possible solutions to consider if you want to remove it in the open world to stop players getting to the end loot without earning it. There have been a number of other solutions like temporarily scaling loot based on zombie kills (my other idea) which would nerf nerdpolilng but it might not be so intuitive, or make zombies drop special keys which has its own issues.

At the end of the day, whatever solution you pick will have some other consequences. I think my solution works, having different building rules for different areas isnt a terrible idea, and we have land claims to differentiate different areas.

7 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Something new ive been experimenting with (not sure if new or if im late to the party) are the incline and narrow wedge blocks.  Just type narrow or incline into the CM and let your imagination run wild (may need to toggle dev filter for some). :) 

Edit:  Also forgot about all the different sized "gable" blocks.  here is the arch design I did for my A19 Church POI (Tier 2 Quest)

Arches.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll take a look today. Building looks great btw.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived