Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Animal spawns in the Snow Biome might be a bit too frequent.

Starter quest sent me to trader on the edge of a city in the snow. I hadn't explored it yet but went looking for farm field pois as the city I relocated to (in green forest) doesn't have any. (honestly not a passive aggresive reply to a reply, it's what I was looking for and I knew where this city was & hadn't explored it)

Just scouting the snow city I saw 3 Bears, 2 Dire Wolves and 1 Cougar. I had an lvl1 AK and some rounds so I took 2 Bears and 1 Wolf, leaving about 50 7.62 so stopped hunting.

Like I said I hadn't been there before so all 'fresh' chunks. Day 15 Lvl16 GS40 Advent 90min Pregen02.

Just considering this from a meat adundance perspective. I get the 'have the snow biome tougher' part, but based just on this one experiance, it looks like the easiest place to hunt.

Leads to a polish idea, the dark colored fur of the bear & wolf really make them stand out against the snow. Maybe a snow variation where they're either snow dusted or something.. though a polar bears white fur in the snow.. that'd be something to scare the kids :)

13 hours ago, Eko said:

Another thing i forgot!

You've done well to slow progression down in regards to loot. The tiers seem right now. However, I am still finding things at the traders way above my looting tier. I find advanced engineering and grease monkey (sometimes physician too) to be quite arbitrary now. I think that traders could use a balance like the loot and if my other idea above or something similar were to be implemented, this should slow the min maxers down a little. Otherwise, you get to day 40 and you don't see any point in continuing because you dont want for anything.

Lastly, the start is so engaging and addictive because its a real challenge to keep your weapon loaded with ammo. As you play, the bullets start raining down, so much so that unless im on difficulty 4 or above, day 30ish rolls around and im swimming in so many bullets that i barely need to craft them! I don't think the zombie difficulty scales enough with the technology and ammo that becomes available to the player. 

Thanks for reading, if you did, and I hope my ideas help :) always loved this game right from the earlier alphas!

They know the traders balance isn't there yet, They've said many times it still needs to be brought down to match loot levels.

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

Here is a scenario for you then. A group of players with augers mining enough iron to beable to sell to all the traders and max them out on steel and your still pumping out steel on top of that so you make that into safes, with a 500 being the cap per trader obviously these individuals have done this before if they consider it a viable option. Max barter perks, use the cigar, use some candy, I think there is even a food now. I'm not going to do the numbers. If MM considers this a viable option then ok.

The cap is 1500 per trader. 500 per stack x 3 stacks max. So 60,000 Steel, 7,500 springs and 7,500 mechanical parts for 3 stacks. 20,000 steel, 2,500 springs and 2,500 mechanical parts per stack of safes. You do you, but that is a @%$*#! ton of mining, forging, wrenching and scrapping for a massive reduction in return (can't craft springs and mechanical parts). 138 x 1500 = 207,000 Dukes from selling the safes. Just the Steel that you need to craft that many safes would net you 600,000 Dukes if you just sold it. You end up loosing about 65% of the steels' value selling 1500 crafted safes. Adding in the sell value of the mechanical parts and springs, I don't have the numbers for those, just makes the disparity even higher.

1 minute ago, Ladarian said:

Looks great, Madmole!   I used to build stuff like this then Demolishers happened and taking the time to make two bases to play the game became less fun.

Demolishers.. take mega crush, jump into the frey, lead them away from base, kill, run home. I keep a 7x7 steel tower for hordes demolishers might crack some blocks but its solid, it won't fall.

2 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Here is a scenario for you then. A group of players with augers mining enough iron to beable to sell to all the traders and max them out on steel and your still pumping out steel on top of that so you make that into safes, with a 500 being the cap per trader obviously these individuals have done this before if they consider it a viable option. Max barter perks, use the cigar, use some candy, I think there is even a food now. I'm not going to do the numbers. If MM considers this a viable option then ok.

The logical thing to do is sell the steel, it sells for way more than the gunsafes, as I already explained. If people want to work their @%$*#! off and lose money crafting them they can. You can do anything and make more money per hour almost. Go lot a POI and make 10 grand, or mine for days, smelt, still go wrench parts and springs, slowly craft safes to sell at a loss? I don't see the issue. People can do that if they want it isn't an exploit, it would be a waste of time.

8 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

The cap is 1500 per trader. 500 per stack x 3 stacks max. So 60,000 Steel, 7,500 springs and 7,500 mechanical parts for 3 stacks. 20,000 steel, 2,500 springs and 2,500 mechanical parts per stack of safes. You do you, but that is a @%$*#! ton of mining, forging, wrenching and scrapping for a massive reduction in return (can't craft springs and mechanical parts). 138 x 1500 = 207,000 Dukes from selling the safes. Just the Steel that you need to craft that many safes would net you 600,000 Dukes if you just sold it. You end up loosing about 65% of the steels' value selling 1500 crafted safes. Adding in the sell value of the mechanical parts and springs, I don't have the numbers for those, just makes the disparity even higher.

Earning that much money should not be possible at all IMO.

They should add a "budget" for each trader like many other games did in the past: that way you can't earn more money than (i.e.) 10K dukes a day because that's what the trader has in his safe... until he can restock and make more money the next day.

21 minutes ago, Ladarian said:

Looks great, Madmole!   I used to build stuff like this then Demolishers happened and taking the time to make two bases to play the game became less fun.

I usually have two places of rest myself. One like MM mentioned a tower of sorts for the trouble that comes. Then the other for living arrangements and architectural splendour.  

20 hours ago, RhinoW said:

Because they're not holding weapons and carrying a bunch of stuff bobby. And oh, game design.

yeah k. karen.

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

They know the traders balance isn't there yet, They've said many times it still needs to be brought down to match loot levels.

oh right..because you are lvl 5 every other person that would have come to the trader is lvl 5 too. No variation in lvls at all.. makes perfect sense. not to mention why bother going to a trader at all, through lvl 10 at least? I can make my own stone ax, thanks.

59 minutes ago, madmole said:

My semi legit castle:
EeSB_rFU0AA122T?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EeSB_rAU8AAnO2r?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EeSB_rXU8AASBch?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Thats freakin awesome.  Blending of the housing with the traditional castle elements.  Plus points for making a traditional castle draw bridge entrance. :)  Maybe 7d2d2 will be a story of medieval times.......😎

Edit: Also like the use of the new trim blocks.  Beats having to rely on pole blocks all the time....

5 hours ago, madmole said:

Stay tuned, you won't be disappointed. One game is using the 7 Days engine so you can expect some building/destruction in that one for sure.

Obviously you are making a medieval survival game that is kinda like a 3d terraria, where skeleton mobs and other enemies build their own towns and try to raid you. 

JK... you are making a train themed shounen ai dating simulation game where trains go on dates and dance for higher scores to go on dates with better trains. 

1 hour ago, madmole said:

My semi legit castle:

I must admit, that looks awesome! I love the contrast between the stone and cream...cement? type texture lol.

I seriously can't wait to start my new castle when stable drops.

You'll have to do a video of the inside, unless you already have.

What are the archers you used? They look cool and I don't think I've seen them.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

My semi legit castle:

Cool. Overall is very good. The uses for some blocks are very well thought.

Things I don't like about it: The outside of the big tower is too bare compared to the outside supports on the rest of the building , giving the impression that they are 2 different buildings. Quite a common thing in actual medieval architectural restorations/public-building adaptations, but somehow ugly here. 

52 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Honestly, I've never seen a zombie apocalypse game ambienced in medieval times. Could be fun.

Really?? You must be young then...

Edit: sorry, I misread what you wrote lol ... I thought you were talking about movies! 😆

8 hours ago, madmole said:

I don't see it as ruining any balance. It simply feels cheesy is all.

Then why does it feel cheesy? If you feel it's fine and balanced then great. But there must be a root concern for the cheesy feeling and if it isn't because it is sort of OP (AKA unbalanced) then where does the feeling come from? 

As I said, a lot of work was done to avoid duplicate POI's spawning in the world. This is simply another type of POI duplication. Why protect it and remove the rest?

It doesn't bug me personally but I am interested in the design justifications for it. If the justification is simply that solving it is more work and resources than it's worth and you want to fry other fish that's understandable too.

18 hours ago, Gazz said:

That really only works in single player, though, where no one sees it as a problem to begin with.

On a MP server you you would split the party and clear the POI you do not have the quest for. (you still know where it is)

Then the one guy who has the quest moves over, shares it, and you get a respawn from the quest.

It would take a bit of coordination but it would not really change anything.

I really don't see the problem to begin with. If you clear a POI then you are entitled to the loot. If you clear it as part of a quest you are entitled to the loot and the quest reward.

You don't get anything double.

Now some people would say that because for them it's normal to nerdpole to the loot room and clean it out, then start the quest.

That is a completely different issue.

Agreed.  I was mystified when this debate started up.  There's so many POI's and you can reset them on demand even in a picked-over Multiplayer Server!  Why did this ever come up?

I mean yeah if you do the POI, then start the quest, I guess you gain some benefit in the form of knowing the layout of the POI in advance for your second clear, so you know what room the good loot is in... but that's such a little thing, because most POI's have a fairly linear (mostly) path to take that guides you through it.

And if it bothers people that much, can't they just choose to reset the place as soon as they get there?

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived