Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

I played an online game, MMORPG before.

 

The way they dealt with multiplayer environment, and quest regulation
was something like this.

 

A list of quests is presented from NPC: Player "Group Leader" chooses quest

 

It checks location for players in the quest area.
7 DTD version <property name="EntityType" value="Player"/>

 

If yes, then message unable to attepmpt quest at this time.
7 DTD version "Trader says pick again, or come back later". Show
a timer, for next attempt.

 

The Predesignated quest POIs could not be taken over by the equivalent
of a landclaim block or a bedroll.

 

The land for a specific perimeter has a barrier that activates if a quest
has been engaged. If not player occupied, and you are not a part of the party
that has accepted the quest, you cant penetrate the barrier, by weapons or
person.  7 DTD Version: Trader open/closed mechanic and "Trader area invulnerability".
Each player in the group is given a temporary "Time limited" "Non-tradeable"
Non lootable Gump to allow access. "A key" It is one way, once a player enters the area,
the gump disappears, if you leave the area you can't re-enter, Until quest is completed,
or a new quest is activated.

 

Player "Group Leader" accepts quest. A timer engages giving a legitimate amount
time to reach the POI. From the time the first player crosses the barrier, a secondary
timer engages, to clear POI in a timely fashion. If the POI quest is not completed in
the time alloted to the first player to enter then all in the party are ejected, and it

returns to a basic poi.

 

7 DTD: After quest, and after ejeting players, simply turn off the trader mechanics.
Return to the preset loot respawn selection in the main menu. But for all intent and
purposes the POI is a simple looted POI until a new quest is formed.

 

7 DTD:
For the catch 22 situation of constant reset, and loot exploit, enable more potential
POI's, and set a cool down pool of POI's after quest reset. An ingame Day would be
sufficient.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, madmole said:

Stay tuned, you won't be disappointed. One game is using the 7 Days engine so you can expect some building/destruction in that one for sure.

 

OMG Stiffy!!!

 

Madmole,   Costa or Adesanya?

 

I really hope Costa can do it, and doesnt gas.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah, i don't think the problem is that bad.  Afterall, it still does require the player their most valuable resource....time.

 

As a side note...

 

Just wanted to share one of my latest creations using the in-game prefab editor and many of the new blocks introduced in A19.  It is an alternate trader Bob POI themed best for the wasteland.  I took some inspiration from one of your concept art drawings.  Let me know what you think.   I will be putting it up for download hopefully today/tomorrow on Nexus.

 

 

Inspirations.jpg

Screenshot 01a.jpg

Screenshot 01b.jpg

Screenshot 05.jpg

Well done. The bus looks awesome with the building above. And the crane looks cool.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, madmole said:

There are way too many ways for things to go bad, like the zombie spawns could have blocks placed on them, the bag locations have been figured out and trolls surround them with steel, griefing everyone.

The design team wants players to experience the POI how we made it, not how Troller Joe left it.

Thanks for the reply Madmole.

 

Well, though I understand and agree that the issue is there I personally think it should be handled by the server admins, not by the devs.

 

Let's face it, 7D2D is at its core a very good single player game, with the vast majority of MP servers being private password protected ones with friends and families playing together in a "safe" environment. With that in mind I hope you'll consider catering to the wider audience when choosing how to change the game for the better. Thank you.

Edited by Jost Amman
Typo (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah, i don't think the problem is that bad.  Afterall, it still does require the player their most valuable resource....time.

 

As a side note...

 

Just wanted to share one of my latest creations using the in-game prefab editor and many of the new blocks introduced in A19.  It is an alternate trader Bob POI themed best for the wasteland.  I took some inspiration from one of your concept art drawings.  Let me know what you think.   I will be putting it up for download hopefully today/tomorrow on Nexus.

 

 

Inspirations.jpg

Screenshot 01a.jpg

Screenshot 01b.jpg

Screenshot 05.jpg

Trader bobs new base!

 

 

Very Nice Laz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Toban said:

Yeah, at first I tried with the bigger blocks but when I saw the 1/4 T, I loved the look of it so redid it all lol. I agree on the decor, but I wanted to keep it rustic castle type on this build.

In the castle at the end of the video, it's much more decor friendly lol. I like trying all the different styles to see how they feel/look. In the castle resort we're building we went full mod con haha. I used the sink as a shower tray haha. Got tv's too. I love the creative option when I just want to build.

Yeah its a lot of fun. Try looking on pinterest for "lego castles" and there are some very cool smaller castles you can get ideas from, or look for small minecraft castles too sometimes. Real ones too, but for something one person can build in a real game I tend to look at the lego castles lately. I make up my own stuff too as I go, but it is great having inspiring reference for any art project.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, Blake_ said:

Yeah. I know all the edge cases and also the " self control speech". It's worth to do it as a lowest priority thing because the benefits are neat. The event system can respawn anything that is lost in a gamey way, satchel courrier, new entities for an empty place, even detect a looted quest POI and restock just the boss loot. Endless stuff.

 

Seems to be a delicate subject, so I'd prefer to ask again in a few months.

Games always have lists of lowest priority ideas and they never get done, because you run out of time. You want something actually done, you don't make it the lowest priority.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Its that it leads to unlimited dukes, your set for the rest of the game money wise all you have to do is find a crucible or max a tree in intel. If your fine with gun safes becoming an in game currency in the end game guess thats fine hey sorry I brought it up. Compared to other things that do this, growing your own food atleast this takes up real estate and you have to protect it, food make sense because everyone's got to eat, and its not even worth that much(the ones you'd want to mass produce anyway).  What is the world doing with all these gun safes? Why does it even have worth?

I'm sure gun safes in the apocalypse would be of utmost importance. Isn't it limited to selling only 3? That is the way most things are. My point is, it takes an incredible amount of resources. You are acting like its an easy exploit like crafting a picnic table was, I rarely have 40 forged steel sitting around that take ages to forge and mine the metal. You earned it. You can make a living crafting and selling stuff, I don't see the problem. I sell my tier 3 axes when I craft tier 5's, etc. I've crafted spares and sold them before too.

Arguably I think I could make money faster looting and selling by far, so why is this an issue? To me if you cal sell more than 3 at once I'd want to fix that so you'd have to travel to several traders to unload all your safes, but if you want to role play as a safe builder because its good money... more power to that guy, as long as it isn't the best way to make money. The best way should be the most dangerous way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah, i don't think the problem is that bad.  Afterall, it still does require the player their most valuable resource....time.

 

As a side note...

 

Just wanted to share one of my latest creations using the in-game prefab editor and many of the new blocks introduced in A19.  It is an alternate trader Bob POI themed best for the wasteland.  I took some inspiration from one of your concept art drawings.  Let me know what you think.   I will be putting it up for download hopefully today/tomorrow on Nexus.

 

 

Inspirations.jpg

Screenshot 01a.jpg

Screenshot 01b.jpg

Screenshot 05.jpg

Very nice! The only thing I think would look nicer is to not use so many different roof paints on that yellow roof you did. Maybe 2 materials max for a roof IMO, otherwise it looks strange. I prefer one actually because then you can't tell its voxels with the  1 meter squares.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, madmole said:

Very nice! The only thing I think would look nicer is to not use so many different roof paints on that yellow roof you did. Maybe 2 materials max for a roof IMO, otherwise it looks strange. I prefer one actually because then you can't tell its voxels with the  1 meter squares.

Thanks MM, that makes sense, it does break the illusion when you can see the 1x1 voxel seams.  Good eyes... :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, madmole said:

Yeah its a lot of fun. Try looking on pinterest for "lego castles" and there are some very cool smaller castles you can get ideas from, or look for small minecraft castles too sometimes. Real ones too, but for something one person can build in a real game I tend to look at the lego castles lately. I make up my own stuff too as I go, but it is great having inspiring reference for any art project.

Yeah I agree. I love looking at creative stuff like that.  I spend a lot of time looking at other peoples work. It gives me some inspiration for my own builds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm sure gun safes in the apocalypse would be of utmost importance. Isn't it limited to selling only 3? That is the way most things are. My point is, it takes an incredible amount of resources. You are acting like its an easy exploit like crafting a picnic table was, I rarely have 40 forged steel sitting around that take ages to forge and mine the metal. You earned it. You can make a living crafting and selling stuff, I don't see the problem. I sell my tier 3 axes when I craft tier 5's, etc. I've crafted spares and sold them before too.

Arguably I think I could make money faster looting and selling by far, so why is this an issue? To me if you cal sell more than 3 at once I'd want to fix that so you'd have to travel to several traders to unload all your safes, but if you want to role play as a safe builder because its good money... more power to that guy, as long as it isn't the best way to make money. The best way should be the most dangerous way.

Unless there is an item that the trader is selling that you're desperate for, I'll never understand anyone selling very expensive materials for several hundred coin when they could raid a house and find a couple weapons that might sell for more. Or maybe it's because I'm a hoarder and I could never part with my stock, idk.

1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

Thanks MM, that makes sense, it does break the illusion when you can see the 1x1 voxel seams.  Good eyes... :)

Yeah, I was going to say that I've never been a fan of multicolor clashing colored panels placed in the same general area in a POI, but maybe that's just my taste. The custom POI you've made looks great otherwise. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

OMG Stiffy!!!

 

Madmole,   Costa or Adesanya?

 

I really hope Costa can do it, and doesnt gas.

Costa. Except Adesanya will literally run away. Costa has a great gas tank for as big as he is. I think his in your face style will overwhelm Adesanya who absolutely needs his range because he doesn't have any power at all. Whittaker knocked himself out by running into his fist like an idiot. If not there are some nasty 185's coming up the ranks. Jarod Canoneer used to fight heavy weight and is the dark horse. The Joker took Gastelum out in the first round, something Adesanya couldn't do in 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah, i don't think the problem is that bad.  Afterall, it still does require the player their most valuable resource....time.

 

As a side note...

 

Just wanted to share one of my latest creations using the in-game prefab editor and many of the new blocks introduced in A19.  It is an alternate trader Bob POI themed best for the wasteland.  I took some inspiration from one of your concept art drawings.  Let me know what you think.   I will be putting it up for download hopefully today/tomorrow on Nexus.

 

 

Inspirations.jpg

Screenshot 01a.jpg

Screenshot 01b.jpg

Screenshot 05.jpg

This looks so cool! I love the use of colour :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yeah, I was going to say that I've never been a fan of multicolor clashing colored panels placed in the same general area in a POI, but maybe that's just my taste. The custom POI you've made looks great otherwise. :)

Yeah, I was going for a junk/scrap look to match the wasteland some.  A good builder trick is to paint the textures across 2 voxels to make it more immersive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm sure gun safes in the apocalypse would be of utmost importance. Isn't it limited to selling only 3? That is the way most things are. My point is, it takes an incredible amount of resources. You are acting like its an easy exploit like crafting a picnic table was, I rarely have 40 forged steel sitting around that take ages to forge and mine the metal. You earned it. You can make a living crafting and selling stuff, I don't see the problem. I sell my tier 3 axes when I craft tier 5's, etc. I've crafted spares and sold them before too.

Arguably I think I could make money faster looting and selling by far, so why is this an issue? To me if you cal sell more than 3 at once I'd want to fix that so you'd have to travel to several traders to unload all your safes, but if you want to role play as a safe builder because its good money... more power to that guy, as long as it isn't the best way to make money. The best way should be the most dangerous way.

I myself have not done it. I sell stacks of vegetable soup when I have enough other food. Stack is 10. You can sell 3 stacks of vegetable soup per trader. No barter perks, cause I think the trader still needs to be fix, and a cigar and I get about $700 per trader per restock day, with a max of $3500 if the traders don't keep food from the last restock day.

 

I was told by another player 'you can also craft Gun safes stacks of 500 sellfor a major penny. It still works' If you can sell them for $300 in even stacks of 10 thats $3000 per trader, $15000 per restock day.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Laz Man said:

Yeah, I was going for a junk/scrap look to match the wasteland some.  A good builder trick is to paint the textures across 2 voxels to make it more immersive.

My favorite thing you did was the bus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah, I was going for a junk/scrap look to match the wasteland some.  A good builder trick is to paint the textures across 2 voxels to make it more immersive.

I think it would have worked better if those paint textures had some rust to them, but it's your build, do what you want with it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

well uselessly with a stream they release a update! so hope today or tomorrow! 

True. But I don't think it's like this forever haha.
 Maybe it will come out stable ... 
next week?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Just wanted to share one of my latest creations using the in-game prefab editor and many of the new blocks introduced in A19.  It is an alternate trader Bob POI themed best for the wasteland.  I took some inspiration from one of your concept art drawings.  Let me know what you think.   I will be putting it up for download hopefully today/tomorrow on Nexus.

 

Spoiler


Inspirations.jpg

Screenshot 01a.jpg

Screenshot 01b.jpg

Screenshot 05.jpg

 

 

Finished my "likes" for today so I'll just quote you and say it: great job! :first:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 8:04 AM, Onarr said:

@madmole  , is there any plan on making spikes, barbed wire and mines give XP for kills? Perhaps locked behind perk like INT does? I have some ideas for defence maximizing the effect of mines and pitfall traps.

I would love that too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Finished my "likes" for today so I'll just quote you and say it: great job! :first:

Thank you!  I can't take all the credit though, the water tower and green shipping container were copied/modified from Vanilla POIs to save time with the build and because I loved their design. :)  Kudos' to the designers for those.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm sure gun safes in the apocalypse would be of utmost importance. Isn't it limited to selling only 3?

If I'm remembering correctly it amounts to 3 slots worth of a single item. 3 of the same type of weapon or tool, 3 stacks of anything that stacks in a single slot. If the craftable gun safes stack one could sell 3 x max stack size - trader's current stock of that item. Though at 40 steel a pop holy @%$*#! that's allot of resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:
8 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Finished my "likes" for today so I'll just quote you and say it: great job! :first:

Thank you!  I can't take all the credit though, the water tower and green shipping container were copied/modified from Vanilla POIs to save time with the build and because I loved their design. :)  Kudos' to the designers for those.

Ok, then I'll fix it for you: good job! :second: 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

If I'm remembering correctly it amounts to 3 slots worth of a single item. 3 of the same type of weapon or tool, 3 stacks of anything that stacks in a single slot. If the craftable gun safes stack one could sell 3 x max stack size - trader's current stock of that item. Though at 40 steel a pop holy @%$*#! that's allot of resources.

It allows stacks of 500. I was going to fix it but looked and here is the thing, a safe sells for 138 dukes, 40 forged steel sells for 400, so selling gun safes loses you money.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...