madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

2 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

I read they can be already if you know where to look, I've definitely found mushrooms in the wild myself and corn. 

Still would be nice if there was some indicator in game for this for new players or someone that just has a lapse of thought and made a mistake

Agreed.  It's listed in the forums from when quests were first discussed, but it would be nice if that was added to the information notes they give you.

2 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

I read they can be already if you know where to look, I've definitely found mushrooms in the wild myself and corn.

Really? Cool beans if so then.

1 minute ago, katarynna said:

they already are added to loot. especially shamway crates often give corn, potatoes, blueberries, etc.

huh, ok. Blueberries I recall looting, and Corn Meal. Guess I've just been blind to the others, heh.

And was aware of the small fields for Corn/Potatos/Blueberries, but those are POIs.

I'll edit my post to add-->Just to clarify, by 'wild' I mean out randomly in nature like the solo Snowberry bushes.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Putting a bedroll down stops quests from being activated, which stops the POIs from being reset.  So if you want to claim a POI, drop down a bedroll and it can't be reset.

It's already an issue on an MP server ... but many MP servers actually have rules that you cannot claim an existing POI just for this reason.  In SP or small group COOP it's not an issue since claiming one POI out of however many are on the map isn't going to be a problem.

I didn't know about the bedroll, thats good, I withdraw that first part. The rest however, it would be a nightmare to be in a tower halfway though or near the top with your munitions nearly spent and someone resets the tower. If your bedroll is stopping respawns at your base it can't be at the tower too. Could be done by accident on pve, could be done on purpose in pvp.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, katarynna said:
28 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

If a POI has already been cleared the game must check that and exclude that POI from the list of "Clear" type quests.

Not everyone does quests as soon as they pick them up. Would you have it so that if someone has accepted a clear quest, no one else can accept a clear quest for that poi? what if the person who accepted a clear quest never logs back on to that server? there are not that many t5 quest poi's, and removing them forever from the quest pool if someone accepts it and never completes it is a bad thing imo.

The check would be made when you talk with the trader, so if at that time the POI has still zombies inside, then you're eligible to get the quest.

I don't play MP so I don't know how it works now when the trader assigns quests to different people for the same POI...

22 minutes ago, katarynna said:
32 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

At the same time, the Fetch quests, could work anyway, since you'd just have to place the satchel somewhere upon quest activation.

If the poi is clear of zombies, the fetch quests would be a snooze fest. just run to the swprite and grab the satchel. no combat, no loot.

Like in real life... if someone else cleared the POI for you all the better!

In all the commotion they simply couldn't spot the satchel. 😀

24 minutes ago, katarynna said:
33 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

The normal loot respawn rate for containers will take care of the scarcity of loot in MP games (it already works like this)

as long as no one gets close enough to the containers to reset the loot respawn timer. 

The problem there is the loot respawn reset, not my idea. IMO they should change THAT mechanic to work better because now as now it's a real problem for MP in general.

25 minutes ago, katarynna said:
35 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

We need a new type of quest called (i.e.) "Rebuild/Refurbish" where you are sent to a POI to repair it and will succeed only after you have repaired a number of blocks and furniture to their original status.

a lot of the deco items are not craftable or lootable, and are never going to be in vanilla. how would you replace the destroyed items?

And just in general, i am assuming you also expect the game to check the possible quest poi's to see if they are currently populated with zombies and if they are still in a repaired/furnished state. Will this have a performance impact and if so, how much of one?

In my mind I pictured something like "predetermined blocks" that you'd need to repair or build, not "real" ones.

The idea is that you go inside that POI and see some of the blocks as a "contour" that you need to hit with your tools to fix/build them back.

It would also be a nice quest for the more peaceful type of players, since it would only entail the travelling time and the building effort. :frusty: 😆

As for the check it's a question only the devs could answer, but for the rebuild quests you wouldn't need to check if there are zombies in there, it's just an additional risk you have to take when you accept the mission. Clearing the POI would just be an additional objective before rebuilding.

So... as you can see I found the inspiration to reply to all your questions since you were nice lol

17 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:
17 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Putting a bedroll down stops quests from being activated.  It's already an issue on an MP server ... but many MP servers actually have rules that you cannot claim an existing POI just for this reason.  In SP or small group COOP it's not an issue since claiming one POI out of however many are on the map isn't going to be a problem.

Still would be nice if there was some indicator in game for this for new players or someone that just has a lapse of thought and made a mistake

If they use my idea which is about never resetting POIs then the indicator/message wouldn't be needed anymore. 🙂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, STyK_ said:

There is a challenge you can get from the 'Willie gang' thats apparently had their eye on you to nail chicks, you get exp for completing. Other then that so far the shooting nails is kind of useless. There are other challenges as well, you find them in loot.

I shoot the nails while building. I will sometimes build with something cheap like wood and will then paint it to get an idea how it will look. Then after it's all built the way I want, I upgrade it and fully paint it. But if it's a big structure or real life days have went by since I messed with it - I'll walk around and shoot the nail at the blocks  to see what level it is - and upgrade the ones that haven't been. It's a quick way to see the level of a painted block, and usually only does about 1 damage.  I specifically do that instead of accidentally upgrading a block to steel when i'm trying to save steel bars and only upgrade the most vulnerable ones to steel and the rest concrete.

Edited by Doctor3D (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Doctor3D said:

I shoot the nails while building. I will sometimes build with something cheap like wood and will then paint it to get an idea how it will look. Then after it's all built the way I want, I upgrade it and fully paint it. But if it's a big structure or real life days have went by since I messed with it - I'll walk around and shoot the nail at the blocks  to see what level it is - and upgrade the ones that haven't been. It's a quick way to see the level of a painted block, and usually only does about 1 damage. 

Thats good you've found a use for it! most people would want more out of a mechanic though. Its not ideal for a pistol fillin and you can't get it till way late in the game so thats out the window.

After I posted that I actually envisioned myself using it for snap shooting target practice in my base waiting for things to finish crafting. Paint a bulleye, ammos cheap, I wonder if the nails stick like arrows. If I ever find it again I'll likely try, RP reasons.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rubens9311 said:

Just save them and don't consume them when you find them. 
At 3 POIs I found a lot of pea cans

All my peas go to catching polar bears.   I chop a hole in the ice, surround it with peas, then when the polar bear come to take a pea, I give him a good swift kick in the ice hole.

polarbearintheice.jpg

Edited by morggin (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, morggin said:

All my peas go to catching polar bears.   I chop a hole in the ice, surround it with peas, then when the polar bear come to take a pea, I give him a good swift kick in the ice hole.

Damn. and i though i was Crazy!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Damn. and i though i was Crazy!

Well ... I did just earn the Meet Your Maker 

Meet Your Maker.PNG

4 minutes ago, morggin said:

Meet Your Maker.PNG

damn, I just got the 100 achievement after streamer weekend. I want these though, thats why I want pvp to be better.

• Thanks 1

Are there any plans to fix lamer tactics for the hordes with upsidedown/half blocks in order to exploit pathfinding?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yeah... not exactly, but I can see why you would interpret it that way.

No I mean he actually said that. 

I believe it was in a video before he started a quest. 

7 hours ago, madmole said:

He is. He REALLY is now. He was deleted from the project.

BUT, I have been slaving away on a lot of special infected designs which will be a new challenge players are looking for. The sea of crying will be real I am sure, but it will be awesome.

Is this going to turn into one of those HeroBrine situations?

28 minutes ago, morggin said:

Meet Your Maker.PNG

And this is an accomplishment... how? Unless you're into extensive PvP or if you farmed blood bags in previous alphas, this seems like the last achievement anyone would want.

• Like 1
  • Poop 1

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

And this is an accomplishment... how? Unless you're into extensive PvP or if you farmed blood bags in previous alphas, this seems like the last achievement anyone would want.

its about sending a message!

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I never said it was an accomplishment ... it's a response to the crazy statement. Judgmental much?

1 minute ago, morggin said:

I never said it was an accomplishment ... it's a response to the crazy statement. Judgmental much?

Slight. You do you though.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Making nerdpoling only possible with wood frame blocks and also allowing zombies to climb up them would be a win in my book. :)

How?...The player can't climb up wood frame blocks, so why should they be able to?

3 hours ago, Pegasus said:

Why nerf it at all?  It works just fine as it is designed. If you don't like double looting POI's then don't double loot them. If it ruins the game for you, exercise some self control and just don't do it.  Walk up to the big glowy exclamation point and select start.

What does it matter if Joe and Bob have the ultimate armor of doom by the end of the first week?  (Good for them, because I'm really surprised they haven't died yet ... and they've obviously been busting their butts.) 

It's not kindergarten.  We don't have to make sure we have enough gum to share with the class.  So unless you're experiencing gun envy, don't worry about what Joe and Bob have.  Or, if it's a PvP server, and you are experiencing gun envy, kill them and take their stuff, then you too can have the uber gun of doom.

And if you start down this road, where does it end?  Since the problem seems to be people sharing quests and experience, why not just say no more quest sharing? Why is that right? Why does your inability to control yourself mean that someone else gets screwed? 

And this isn't all directed at you ... it's at the entire rant on this subject. Seriously, why can't people just let other people play the game the way they want? There's no one right way to play the game. There's no one ring to control them all here. Take your precious and go bury it somewhere and leave the rest alone.

Actually, this isn't really anything to do with the double looting of POI at all.

But I like to point out that while the difficulty of a quest may increase incrementally ( if at all ), when multiple people are shared...  the rewards are then collected by all players and the ratio of quest difficulty to quest rewards in this scenario are grossly out of scale and hugely exploitable.  It needs to be fixed so that the rewards scale more appropriately with the quest difficulty and the number of players participating.

1 hour ago, pregnable said:

No I mean he actually said that. 

I believe it was in a video before he started a quest. 

I see. He was double clearing the POIS in that dev stream like crazy, but then again he is partial to the change. Who can blame us? It IS the most efficient way of playing. It's cheesy and weird and boring and all of that, but one could almost compare it to other ancient cheesy ways of getting an edge, like cactus hugging, or stone axe idle spam crafting.

43 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

How?...The player can't climb up wood frame blocks, so why should they be able to?

Because they're not holding weapons and carrying a bunch of stuff bobby. And oh, game design.

57 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Want to collect them all. Only ones I'm missing are deaths and pvp, and I don't want to just die. Currently 124 deaths 1465 hours. Also one hidden one.

• Thanks 1