madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Just now, Jay_ombie said:

Small things noticed...

20200730171126-1.jpg

Crushed cars in the car park ?

Trader Joels had Trader Jen in there... ?

thats how i will park when i get to drive!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Yeah. I know all the edge cases and also the " self control speech". It's worth to do it as a lowest priority thing because the benefits are neat. The event system can respawn anything that is lost in a gamey way, satchel courrier, new entities for an empty place, even detect a looted quest POI and restock just the boss loot. Endless stuff.

Seems to be a delicate subject, so I'd prefer to ask again in a few months.

We're still haggling about it from time to time, nobody has a 100% perfect solution. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, you can do 5 pois a day if you want, all the exploit does is let you farm the same house twice, where like someone said, you could farm the house next door. I think most players would rather see optimizations, pipe guns, special infected and bandits, so we can't cater to the 5000 hour strategy guy woes that self control solves 100% something that really just isn't a huge problem.

54 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm curious... Regarding the new bookshelves, is the plan to replace all the old A18 ones with these new models, or will they be reserved for specific POI's only?

I don't know, there are no level designers in this thread AFAIK.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Just mines, spikes are too easy and can create 1000's of kills for every little effort.

I dont know, for one iron spike I can kill a one or two ferals, it costs 4 forged iron and takes about 2 minutes to craft. It also has this ugly habit of exploding cops. 

With single pipe bomb I can kill 16 zeds.

I would live spikes to work, so I can use that iron that mostly just lies in my chest.

39 minutes ago, Krows said:

Heck yea! Grow your own peas, cook 'em and can 'em. For the devoted chef, that sounds like a great addition!

All you need is pea seeds. Too bad they are so rare!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

Type in DM, press G, enjoy. Same thing.

I have zero clue behind that command's functionality.

8 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Small things noticed...

20200730171126-1.jpg

Crushed cars in the car park ?

Trader Joels had Trader Jen in there... ?

A behemoth stepped on it.

Trader Jen does not spawn at trader Joel's. All the signs say Trader Joel's.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nerdpoling is a term that originated in Minecraft. It describes a person looking downwards, jumping, and placing a block directly beneath them, rinse and repeat.

Few days ago I played with a friend that nerdpolled to this factory`s best loot location (he is pretty new in 7dtd, like 200hrs), I waited till he got almost up there and broke the base frame slowly with a tier 3 stone axe, causing his spirit to fall off.

He heard the clunk sound of a stone axe on his base frame, he understood the lesson. 🤠

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)
  • Haha 2
  • Poop 1
  • Knuckle Rub 1

46 minutes ago, madmole said:

My reply does not dictate the future.

I disagree, Fallout's building system can make super awesome bases that are 500x better looking than what we have. 1 meter thick walls are pretty horrible to look at and the restriction of 1 model per meter kills immersion.

No Voxels doesn't mean no random gen.

Switching to Unreal doesn't mean no voxels. You can get voxel farm for unreal or we could port our code.

We can probably fix the limit of only one block per meter, then we could make thin walls and more realistic looking POis, bases, clutter, etc.

Anyhow at our current pace, (one game in 8 years) 7 days 2 is at least 18 years away. We're committed to two other games first, 8 years per game plus two year of dev for 7d2d2 alpha 1 puts that 18 years away. SO whatever we say now isn't reliable :)

BTW, It won't take that long I don't think, but 7 days 2 isn't even a design document yet. We have 1 to finish, and 2 other games that at least need to be in alpha and one done probably before any movement on a sequel can happen.

I know some people think 7 days has "must have" features. What those are, is very subjective. I know that my vote would probably be RWG with fully destroyable world and tower defense, and RPG. Those are my must haves. That doesn't mean voxels though. It could just be models with physics by then. The need for voxels is diminishing as draw calls get cheaper and hardware improves. At the end of the day a voxel is just a mesh on a grid sharing a texture atlas. We area already only a partial voxel game anyway. Remove the limits and have all the fun part I say.

He probably has forum PTSD.

Though 7 days to die is pretty immersive, sometimes the miscellaneous blocks are so characteristic and well placed, that i forget it's block based. Indeed Fallout 4's building system is an absolute beauty (I spent most of my time preparing realistic settlements for raids :D),  the problem is that it lacks destruction or AI interaction with what you have built.

But to be honest 7 days to die just needs more characteristic and big decoration blocks to make certain PoIs much better (it's a hassle having like 5 metal poles just to make a door frame and not allow players to place a block there for example). One thing that would help is more crouchable areas (half life peeking in the corner) with actual hollow blocks specific for that. Just a thought. Still 7 days to die currently gets the visuals job done very well.

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

All you need is pea seeds. Too bad they are so rare!

It's fine where it is, at least in SP. I began collecting canned foods since day 1 like usual, and by around day 30 I had 20-40 of each. 20 Gumbo Stews last a lot longer than most people give them credit for from the get-go.

1 minute ago, beerfly said:

He heard the clunk sound of a stone axe on his base frame, he understood the lesson. 🤠

And the lesson is: Pole up closer to a wall if you have "friends" like that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Onarr said:

I dont know, for one iron spike I can kill a one or two ferals, it costs 4 forged iron and takes about 2 minutes to craft. It also has this ugly habit of exploding cops. 

With single pipe bomb I can kill 16 zeds.

I would live spikes to work, so I can use that iron that mostly just lies in my chest.

Actually its not possible and to do it will destroy the FPS, so that is the main reason. We can't store ownership of a block without making it an entity, which makes it a draw call which seas of spikes will destroy FPS. Maybe. When we get land mines working we could consider it. I'd nerf the xp to 10% though or something. It is just too easy to make wood spikes and take a nap and level up. It would be stone axe crafting all over again.

Just now, Gazz said:

No, the lesson here is to always consume the Oh Shiz Drops candy before you attempt such an endeavour.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I have zero clue behind that command's functionality.

Turns on god mode and fly, which would simulate what building with a bot could be like.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, madmole said:

Turns on god mode and fly, which would simulate what building with a bot could be like.

You obviously have it set to a different hotkey, because the standard one is "Q", not "G". :)

Edit: I occasionally go into Fly Mode (going into DM and pressing ESC to enable Fly Mode) to take screenshots, so you don't need to activate God Mode for that.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

BuT I THouGHt He WaS GoNE!?!?!

He is. He REALLY is now. He was deleted from the project.

BUT, I have been slaving away on a lot of special infected designs which will be a new challenge players are looking for. The sea of crying will be real I am sure, but it will be awesome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Not if it is my bigger brother who is my best friend 😛 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, madmole said:

BUT, I have been slaving away on a lot of special infected designs which will be a new challenge players are looking for. The sea of crying will be real I am sure, but it will be awesome.

I wonder if this will include any additional aerial threats? 🤔 Out with the vulture, in with the condor.

Any chance of a fire-puking variant? ;) (Or perhaps bandits could throw molotovs on top of their conventional arsenal, idk.)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Just now, madmole said:

What wont be awesome is when the sea of crying turn into a sea of nerfing.. You know its gonna happen :)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, madmole said:

Man I don't care if yall Make Flying Zombies! 

Anything to spice things up is great! i don't care if they can yeet zombies at you! Infect you, act like a wild animal! or even pick up objects to Beat you to death! IDC!

i can't wait to see what you got in the works!

ill drink those tears with a STRAW! 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

BuT I THouGHt He WaS GoNE!?!?!

sarcasm 

Behemoth was just a tease. (fingers crossed guys)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Provided to you by Madmole Exponential Balancing Inc. (Don't do this at home) 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, madmole said:

A behemoth stepped on it.

Trader Jen does not spawn at trader Joel's. All the signs say Trader Joel's.

That explains the crushed cars haha.

So hang on,so all traders have Trader Joel sign outside even if Jen is inside (which is in my RWG game atm) I also heard the male voice saying the trader is about to close. :p

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Provided to you by Madmole Exponential Balancing Inc. (Don't do this at home)

Warring! miss uses will cause death!

Battery not included