Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 minutes ago, Onarr said:

I dont know, for one iron spike I can kill a one or two ferals, it costs 4 forged iron and takes about 2 minutes to craft. It also has this ugly habit of exploding cops. 

With single pipe bomb I can kill 16 zeds.

I would live spikes to work, so I can use that iron that mostly just lies in my chest.

Actually its not possible and to do it will destroy the FPS, so that is the main reason. We can't store ownership of a block without making it an entity, which makes it a draw call which seas of spikes will destroy FPS. Maybe. When we get land mines working we could consider it. I'd nerf the xp to 10% though or something. It is just too easy to make wood spikes and take a nap and level up. It would be stone axe crafting all over again.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Turns on god mode and fly, which would simulate what building with a bot could be like.

You obviously have it set to a different hotkey, because the standard one is "Q", not "G". :)

Edit: I occasionally go into Fly Mode (going into DM and pressing ESC to enable Fly Mode) to take screenshots, so you don't need to activate God Mode for that.

2 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

BuT I THouGHt He WaS GoNE!?!?!

He is. He REALLY is now. He was deleted from the project.

BUT, I have been slaving away on a lot of special infected designs which will be a new challenge players are looking for. The sea of crying will be real I am sure, but it will be awesome.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

BUT, I have been slaving away on a lot of special infected designs which will be a new challenge players are looking for. The sea of crying will be real I am sure, but it will be awesome.

I wonder if this will include any additional aerial threats? 🤔 Out with the vulture, in with the condor.

Any chance of a fire-puking variant? ;) (Or perhaps bandits could throw molotovs on top of their conventional arsenal, idk.)

Just now, madmole said:

What wont be awesome is when the sea of crying turn into a sea of nerfing.. You know its gonna happen :)

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

Man I don't care if yall Make Flying Zombies! 

Anything to spice things up is great! i don't care if they can yeet zombies at you! Infect you, act like a wild animal! or even pick up objects to Beat you to death! IDC!

i can't wait to see what you got in the works!

ill drink those tears with a STRAW! 

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Provided to you by Madmole Exponential Balancing Inc. (Don't do this at home) 😉

22 minutes ago, madmole said:

A behemoth stepped on it.

Trader Jen does not spawn at trader Joel's. All the signs say Trader Joel's.

That explains the crushed cars haha.

So hang on,so all traders have Trader Joel sign outside even if Jen is inside (which is in my RWG game atm) I also heard the male voice saying the trader is about to close. :p

2 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

So hang on,so all traders have Trader Joel sign outside even if Jen is inside (which is in my RWG game atm) I also heard the male voice saying the trader is about to close. :p

Traitor Joel's, yes that is the actual name (read the sign), is a chain. Bob, Jen, Rekt and Huge work for Joel.

13 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Traitor Joel's, yes that is the actual name (read the sign), is a chain. Bob, Jen, Rekt and Huge work for Joel.

Ohh okay doky... Not noticed I guess till now and since Jen got a female voice put in I thought then maybe she got promoted to her own trade... :)

17 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

What wont be awesome is when the sea of crying turn into a sea of nerfing.. You know its gonna happen :)

Name one nerf to difficulty / challenge since we launched 19? Not counting the bad animal density patch that went out. We've only been making things harder, like crits have higher chance, nerfed the shotgun OPness, etc.

7 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Ohh okay doky... Not noticed I guess till now and since Jen got a female voice put in I thought then maybe she got promoted to her own trade... :)

They will get their own signs in A20 hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

That explains the crushed cars haha.

Yes, Trader Joel's is the walmart of the apocalypse. We are considering making them their own signs though and changing that.

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

Name one nerf to difficulty / challenge since we launched 19? Not counting the bad animal density patch that went out. We've only been making things harder, like crits have higher chance, nerfed the shotgun OPness, etc.

Speaking of which, do you know if bleeding is supposed to return "in a big way" somewhere down the track during A19's dev cycle, or are you saving that for A20, if that is still the plan going forward? I believe you mentioned something about this previously.

Will traders be more specialized in their respective trade as Jen is medic, etc?

I know it was supposed to be in A19, but at the moment every trader is jack of all trades and you can`t notice the difference. Then you get "lucky" and when they restock Trader Jen sells 1 splint as medicine. What kind of a medic is she if she doesnt have any medical items to sell.. 

Ideally I would prefer if traders sold only their stuff, so you need to travel to different traders to get what you want.

15 minutes ago, madmole said:

I was mostly just yanking yer chain based on the past.   I havent even played A19 yet or following patch notes closely.  Waiting for stable.   I did start  it up to see the graphics and they are awesome!

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I keep telling them all you need to do is reset it when you are close to the chunk.

Here’s all you need to do. When the quest marker is within 30 meters start a timer countdown of 30 seconds. If the quest marker isn’t activated in that time the quest fails. No time to loot the house before the quest needs to start and no need to activate the quest from the edge of the chunk. Just put a time restraint when the player is near enough to easily make it but not pre-loot the house. 

53 minutes ago, Roland said:

Here’s all you need to do. When the quest marker is within 30 meters start a timer countdown of 30 seconds. If the quest marker isn’t activated in that time the quest fails. No time to loot the house before the quest needs to start and no need to activate the quest from the edge of the chunk. Just put a time restraint when the player is near enough to easily make it but not pre-loot the house. 

edit: re-read what you said, basically the same thing.

what I had edited/deleted: "How about we modify this a little? If the player gets with x distance of a POI that is marked for a quest, a countdown of 30 seconds begins. The POI will reset unless the player exits the area, or unless the quest is cancelled."

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived