madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Yeah, lets just take all bits of fun, or doing something in other than a pre-ordained way out of the game.. In fact, why bother to even play it?

That's a pretty bull@%$*#! and flawed point of view. I can counter-argument by saying, what's the point of detailed PoI's anyway? What's the point of level design? What's the point of weapons? What's the point of even fighting? Just get some wood, nerdpole, collect stuff like a freaking squirrel, stuff em, and drive around the bloodmoon or hide from it at the top of a building you nerdpolled to...

That defeats the purpose of most of the work put into this game.

And what's the fun in nerdpolling again? If you have more fun nerdpolling than stealthing, killing, destroying and looting your way through a PoI, then you must check your standards.

Oh and you talk with stupid hyperboles like going through a PoI is a massive burden (which isn't) that takes the whole fun out of the game and drives your linearity detector into overdrive...the hell?

Edited by RhinoW (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Poop 1

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

the bald guy one the dev streams (i don't know his name please tell me)

said that it will not happen :( 

Lathan iirc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

That's a pretty bull@%$*#! and flawed point of view. I can counter-argument by saying, what's the point of detailed PoI's anyway? What's the point of level design? What's the point of weapons? What's the point of even fighting? Just get some wood, nerdpole, collect stuff like a freaking squirrel, stuff em, and drive around the bloodmoon or hide from it at the top of a building you nerdpolled to...

And what's the fun in nerdpolling again? If you have more fun nerdpolling and stealthing, killing, destroying and looting your way through a PoI, then you must check your standards.

Oh and you talk with stupid hyperboles like going through a PoI is a massive burden (which isn't) that takes the whole fun out of the game and drives your linearity detector into overdrive...the hell?

And how does the way other people play their game affect you? (Outside of a multiplayer server, of course.) I say, live and let live.

Plus, just think for a second what building would be like without nerdpoling in 7D2D. Think about it for a moment, and if you'd be fine with it, how many other people wouldn't be?

I personally dislike cheesing POI's by magic hopping my way to the top. So, I don't do it. End of story.

Nerdpoling isn't a cheese strat. It's a useful tool that some people exploit to their advantage. If you really believe you're better than them, then don't do what they do. Simple. *Shrug*

Edit: An optional feature to disable it would be fine, even though that would be an oddly specific option.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

And how does the way other people play their game affect you? (Outside of a multiplayer server, of course.) I say, live and let live.

Plus, just think for a second what building would be like without nerdpoling in 7D2D. Think about it for a moment, and if you'd be fine with it, how many other people wouldn't be?

I personally dislike cheesing POI's by magic hopping my way to the top. So, I don't do it. End of story.

Nerdpoling isn't a cheese strat. It's a useful tool that some people exploit to their advantage. If you really believe you're better than them, then don't do what they do. Simple. *Shrug*

It doesn't affect me, in fact i never said anything about nerdpoling in the first place (besides mentioning it)  until the dude replied to you, it can stay for all i care. The thing is that he was defending nerdpoling by saying actually exploring a major part of the game isn't fun.

Again, I don't care about nerdpoling and obviously building would be tedious.

I don't do it either.

Nerdpoling is a cheesy strat, like blocking entrances with a single block (when they break a door down) but being able to hit them safely, spam repairing something with a nailgun, get on the roof of a PoI and wait out the blood moon. 

Again, I'm not defending the removal of nerd poling or the usage of it, i'm just saying that his argument was pretty delusional and quite disrespectful towards the work that has been done trying to get to make the PoI's interesting.

Edited by RhinoW (see edit history)
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

It doesn't affect me, in fact i never said anything about nerdpoling in the first place (besides mentioning it)  until the dude replied to you, it can stay for all i care. The thing is that he was defending nerdpoling by saying actually exploring a major part of the game isn't fun.

Again, I don't care about nerdpoling and obviously building would be tedious.

I don't do it either.

Nerdpoling is a cheesy strat, like blocking entrances with a single block (when they break a door down) but being able to hit them safely, spam repairing something with a nailgun, get on the roof of a PoI and wait out the blood moon. 

Again, I'm not defending the removal of nerd poling or the usage of it, i'm just saying that his argument was pretty delusional and quite disrespectful towards the work that has been done trying to get to make the PoI's interesting.

I see, I apologize then. I just saw "anti-nerdpoling" being discussed and I simply rolled me eyes and went, "Great, this discussion again." Perhaps I should have read the entire thing.

Not arguing against you here, but what is the difference between putting a block in front of a door to trap the zombies inside, and just opening the door, hitting them, shutting the door, etc. I don't place blocks in front of doorways (unlike former cheater, Glock9), but I'm curious on your take on this.

Besides, what never gets brought up in these discussions is the various POI's in the game that has their loot stashes underground or on the ground floor. Removing nerdpoling doesn't help there. 😛

45 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I said an option, nobody said you would have to turn it on. You play the game way you want to play it, I'm fighting for the way I and others want to play it. If there are mods that are made doing this already then I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Why do you guys get so defensive when it comes to this.

Because the devs don't need any bright ideas on how to make the game more restrictive. They are doing just fine on that all by themselves.

• Like 1
  • Poop 2

53 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I said an option, nobody said you would have to turn it on. You play the game way you want to play it, I'm fighting for the way I and others want to play it. If there are mods that are made doing this already then I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Why do you guys get so defensive when it comes to this.

That option already exsists. 

Its called “insert your name here”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Because the devs don't need any bright ideas on how to make the game more restrictive. They are doing just fine on that all by themselves.

Debating this with you is not going to solve anything. I've said a lot about this already in the diary. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I'm not going to stop fighting for the things I want in the game until gold comes out.

12 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

The thing is that he was defending nerdpoling by saying actually exploring a major part of the game isn't fun

Said no such thing. Merely pointing out what you think isn't fun, may be fun to someone else. Maybe there are players that like the sandbox, building, and just being contrary and not doing things in a scripted manner aspect of the game vs how YOU think it SHOULD be played. The game has a lot of freedom, but it is getting more and more restricted with every update. I personally think you should be able to do ANYTHING at ANYTIME in ANY way that you like. That's what I call fun.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

And what's the fun in nerdpolling again? If you have more fun nerdpolling and stealthing, killing, destroying and looting your way through a PoI, then you must check your standards.

Wow, way to crap on those that enjoy. Stealth play. Killing zombie play. Destroying things play and looting play.  Good job you 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Wow, quite full of yourself ain't ya? So glad I don't have to have YOUR permission to have fun with the game I paid for in the way I want to.

4 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Debating this with you is not going to solve anything. I've said a lot about this already in the diary. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I'm not going to stop fighting for the things I want in the game until gold comes out.

Ditto, and I will not stop fighting to keep the stuff I don't want out of it. See ya on the battlefield.

14 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

(unlike former cheater, Glock9)

And how is that cheating? it could be said that the way zoms gps to you, break steel blocks with their dead human meat hands, and all the other things that they do is "cheating" as well. I would call it "having fun your way".

• Poop 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Besides, what never gets brought up in these discussions is the various POI's in the game that has their loot stashes underground or on the ground floor. Removing nerdpoling doesn't help there. 😛

Well focus the question at the one who is doing it.

On insane nightmare those holes in the floor are the death traps I've referred to. If you are under geared just jumping down there equals death cause there are more zeds then you can handle and where are you going to run? So I either leave not willing to take the risk and cancel the quest or I brake the floor (which you pretty much have to do anyway for your nerd polling) and build ladders (exception to my usual rule) to the ground creating a path for me to get up and them to follow if things go sideways. Its better then being attached to the wall above where they can't reach and hitting them with a range weapon.

If the loot is up high where I can't get it then thats tough I don't get all the loot, god forbid. 

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

And how is that cheating? it could be said that the way zoms gps to you, break steel blocks with their dead human meat hands, and all the other things that they do is "cheating" as well. I would call it "having fun your way".

I meant that lightheartedly. It's called banter. ;) It's like if you sit on top of a POI during the horde and wait it out. I don't care, but if you do so, just so you know, you're turning the game into easy mode. 😛 I just like taking small, trivial jabs at people every once in a while because it's fun. You gotta learn to laugh a little. ;) 

Cheating/cheesing is highly subjective and is very bias from individual to individual. 

Like the block in the door way. Some see that as cheating. Others see it as a vaiable survival strategy. 

Also cheese is delicious 

behold the power of 🧀 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

Hey Madmole can you do that for us? Please?

And about doors, can you add more doors for deco purposes? Live double doors, glass doors and more decorative stuff?

We could add some locked doors, but would need to change all the ones currently placed as "jammed"  or "barricaded" meaning they were never meant to be opened by the level designers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I meant that lightheartedly. It's called banter. ;) It's like if you sit on top of a POI during the horde and wait it out. I don't care, but if you do so, just so you know, you're turning the game into easy mode. 😛 I just like taking small, trivial jabs at people every once in a while because it's fun. You gotta learn to laugh a little. ;) 

And whats wrong with sitting on top of a poi and waiting them out? Not that you can do that past the first horde. If that's how someone wants to play it (because of role play or whatever else) then I feel like they should be able to. So many people on here (and imho the devs) are getting so focused on making players play the way THEY think it should be played, instead of everybody just chilling out, and letting them enjoy this great big sandbox how the player wants to.

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

We could add some locked doors, but would need to change all the ones currently placed as "jammed"  or "barricaded" meaning they were never meant to be opened by the level designers.

Hey, that would be cool and interesting. maybe hide something good (or nasty) behind those locked doors as well.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

And whats wrong with sitting on top of a poi and waiting them out? Not that you can do that past the first horde. If that's how someone wants to play it (because of role play or whatever else) then I feel like they should be able to. So many people on here (and imho the devs) are getting so focused on making players play the way THEY think it should be played, instead of everybody just chilling out, and letting them enjoy this great big sandbox how the player wants to.

Let me repeat. I don't care how other people play. It's just fun to take small jabs at people every once in a while, as long as there is no malicious intent. Madmole likes to take jabs at me for playing on 90 minute days, people take jabs at JaWoodle for using his Killing Corridor design, people used to take jabs at Glock when he used the frame trick. No one cares how other people play, it's just fun to banter sometimes, Mr. Serious. (<---- And that was an example of banter.)

Another example of banter, "Of course person X defeated the horde! They play on 120 minute days with 4 max alive!" ;) *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

There is not really any way to stop people from building in POIs to get loot faster, without making the game worse. 

I do not really see a problem with it, and in conclusion who cares. 

22 minutes ago, Yopo said:

Wow, way to crap on those that enjoy. Stealth play. Killing zombie play. Destroying things play and looting play.  Good job you 

No reason you couldn't do these things without nerd polling.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Let me repeat. I don't care how other people play. It's just fun to take small jabs at people every once in a while, as long as there is no malicious intent. Madmole likes to take jabs at me for playing on 90 minute days, people take jabs at JaWoodle for using his Killing Corridor design, people used to take jabs at Glock when he used the frame trick. No one cares how other people play, it's just fun to banter sometimes, Mr. Serious.

Ok, sorry. I just tend to get a little bit tense when I see anything that even hints at more restrictions in the game. But I will disagree that apparently A LOT of people cares how other people play... Myself personally, I like the freedom the game has to do pretty much whatever you want. I think of it as minecraft for adults, (although I never played minecraft)..

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

Ok, sorry. I just tend to get a little bit tense when I see anything that even hints at more restrictions in the game. But I will disagree that apparently A LOT of people cares how other people play... Myself personally, I like the freedom the game has to do pretty much whatever you want. I think of it as minecraft for adults, (although I never played minecraft)..

Again, an option, nobody said you had to do anything.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

It's fine honestly. I've just seen this argument pop up so often that I don't even bother to read any of the comments anymore; I just skim read. My bad.

If you'd be interested in playing Minecraft, I'd suggest trying 7D2D without blood moon hordes first. If you cannot stand it (ie there not being a purpose to anything... no building a base, no crafting ammo, etc.), then you probably wouldn't like Minecraft, saving yourself a good 20-30 quid. ;)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

Again, an option, nobody said you had to do anything.

Why even bother putting it in as a option.. if You don't want to do it...then don't.  Just making the game work harder by adding more code.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's fine honestly. I've just seen this argument pop up so often that I don't even bother to read any of the comments anymore; I just skim read. My bad.

If you'd be interested in playing Minecraft, I'd suggest trying 7D2D without blood moon hordes first. If you cannot stand it (ie there not being a murpose to anything), then you probably wouldn't like Minecraft, saving yourself a good 20-30 quid. ;)

Honestly, it's the look of minecraft that turns me off. So little kid like (not to crap on people who enjoy that, just not my cup of yorkshire)..

But I have had the thought that 7d2d was based on what a more grown up version of minecraft would look like. They are VERY similar in a lot of ways after all.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Why even bother putting it in as a option.. if You don't want to do it...then don't.  Just making the game work harder by adding more code.

Why make mods for it? Same answer, more realism and immersion for those of us who want the challenge. I've talked to with other players and its the 'fear' this game can put into you that really makes it great, especially when you add permadeath to it and everything is on the line. Nerd polling takes away the fear.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Honestly, it's the look of minecraft that turns me off. So little kid like (not to crap on people who enjoy that, just not my cup of yorkshire)..

But I have had the thought that 7d2d was based on what a more grown up version of minecraft would look like. They are VERY similar in a lot of ways after all.

I tried Minecraft years ago, and 2 things turned me off from it. 1, I find the terrain generation to be ugly and uninspiring. 2, There's no purpose to anything in the game other than you making your own purpose (but without motivation that comes from a need, I lack this skill).

Oh absolutely. Like I said, I once turned of BM hordes and it completely changed the feel of the game. In my case, for the worst, but to each their own.