Jump to content

Alpha 19 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Besides, what never gets brought up in these discussions is the various POI's in the game that has their loot stashes underground or on the ground floor. Removing nerdpoling doesn't help there. 😛

Well focus the question at the one who is doing it.

On insane nightmare those holes in the floor are the death traps I've referred to. If you are under geared just jumping down there equals death cause there are more zeds then you can handle and where are you going to run? So I either leave not willing to take the risk and cancel the quest or I brake the floor (which you pretty much have to do anyway for your nerd polling) and build ladders (exception to my usual rule) to the ground creating a path for me to get up and them to follow if things go sideways. Its better then being attached to the wall above where they can't reach and hitting them with a range weapon.

 

If the loot is up high where I can't get it then thats tough I don't get all the loot, god forbid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

And how is that cheating? it could be said that the way zoms gps to you, break steel blocks with their dead human meat hands, and all the other things that they do is "cheating" as well. I would call it "having fun your way".

I meant that lightheartedly. It's called banter. ;) It's like if you sit on top of a POI during the horde and wait it out. I don't care, but if you do so, just so you know, you're turning the game into easy mode. 😛 I just like taking small, trivial jabs at people every once in a while because it's fun. You gotta learn to laugh a little. ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheating/cheesing is highly subjective and is very bias from individual to individual. 

Like the block in the door way. Some see that as cheating. Others see it as a vaiable survival strategy. 

Also cheese is delicious 

behold the power of 🧀 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

Hey Madmole can you do that for us? Please?

And about doors, can you add more doors for deco purposes? Live double doors, glass doors and more decorative stuff?

We could add some locked doors, but would need to change all the ones currently placed as "jammed"  or "barricaded" meaning they were never meant to be opened by the level designers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I meant that lightheartedly. It's called banter. ;) It's like if you sit on top of a POI during the horde and wait it out. I don't care, but if you do so, just so you know, you're turning the game into easy mode. 😛 I just like taking small, trivial jabs at people every once in a while because it's fun. You gotta learn to laugh a little. ;) 

And whats wrong with sitting on top of a poi and waiting them out? Not that you can do that past the first horde. If that's how someone wants to play it (because of role play or whatever else) then I feel like they should be able to. So many people on here (and imho the devs) are getting so focused on making players play the way THEY think it should be played, instead of everybody just chilling out, and letting them enjoy this great big sandbox how the player wants to.

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

We could add some locked doors, but would need to change all the ones currently placed as "jammed"  or "barricaded" meaning they were never meant to be opened by the level designers.

Hey, that would be cool and interesting. maybe hide something good (or nasty) behind those locked doors as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

And whats wrong with sitting on top of a poi and waiting them out? Not that you can do that past the first horde. If that's how someone wants to play it (because of role play or whatever else) then I feel like they should be able to. So many people on here (and imho the devs) are getting so focused on making players play the way THEY think it should be played, instead of everybody just chilling out, and letting them enjoy this great big sandbox how the player wants to.

Let me repeat. I don't care how other people play. It's just fun to take small jabs at people every once in a while, as long as there is no malicious intent. Madmole likes to take jabs at me for playing on 90 minute days, people take jabs at JaWoodle for using his Killing Corridor design, people used to take jabs at Glock when he used the frame trick. No one cares how other people play, it's just fun to banter sometimes, Mr. Serious. (<---- And that was an example of banter.)

 

Another example of banter, "Of course person X defeated the horde! They play on 120 minute days with 4 max alive!" ;) *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Yopo said:

Wow, way to crap on those that enjoy. Stealth play. Killing zombie play. Destroying things play and looting play.  Good job you 

No reason you couldn't do these things without nerd polling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Let me repeat. I don't care how other people play. It's just fun to take small jabs at people every once in a while, as long as there is no malicious intent. Madmole likes to take jabs at me for playing on 90 minute days, people take jabs at JaWoodle for using his Killing Corridor design, people used to take jabs at Glock when he used the frame trick. No one cares how other people play, it's just fun to banter sometimes, Mr. Serious.

Ok, sorry. I just tend to get a little bit tense when I see anything that even hints at more restrictions in the game. But I will disagree that apparently A LOT of people cares how other people play... Myself personally, I like the freedom the game has to do pretty much whatever you want. I think of it as minecraft for adults, (although I never played minecraft)..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

Ok, sorry. I just tend to get a little bit tense when I see anything that even hints at more restrictions in the game. But I will disagree that apparently A LOT of people cares how other people play... Myself personally, I like the freedom the game has to do pretty much whatever you want. I think of it as minecraft for adults, (although I never played minecraft)..

Again, an option, nobody said you had to do anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Ok, sorry. I just tend to get a little bit tense when I see anything that even hints at more restrictions in the game. But I will disagree that apparently A LOT of people cares how other people play... Myself personally, I like the freedom the game has to do pretty much whatever you want. I think of it as minecraft for adults, (although I never played minecraft)..

It's fine honestly. I've just seen this argument pop up so often that I don't even bother to read any of the comments anymore; I just skim read. My bad.

 

If you'd be interested in playing Minecraft, I'd suggest trying 7D2D without blood moon hordes first. If you cannot stand it (ie there not being a purpose to anything... no building a base, no crafting ammo, etc.), then you probably wouldn't like Minecraft, saving yourself a good 20-30 quid. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

Again, an option, nobody said you had to do anything.

Why even bother putting it in as a option.. if You don't want to do it...then don't.  Just making the game work harder by adding more code.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's fine honestly. I've just seen this argument pop up so often that I don't even bother to read any of the comments anymore; I just skim read. My bad.

 

If you'd be interested in playing Minecraft, I'd suggest trying 7D2D without blood moon hordes first. If you cannot stand it (ie there not being a murpose to anything), then you probably wouldn't like Minecraft, saving yourself a good 20-30 quid. ;)

Honestly, it's the look of minecraft that turns me off. So little kid like (not to crap on people who enjoy that, just not my cup of yorkshire)..

But I have had the thought that 7d2d was based on what a more grown up version of minecraft would look like. They are VERY similar in a lot of ways after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Why even bother putting it in as a option.. if You don't want to do it...then don't.  Just making the game work harder by adding more code.

Why make mods for it? Same answer, more realism and immersion for those of us who want the challenge. I've talked to with other players and its the 'fear' this game can put into you that really makes it great, especially when you add permadeath to it and everything is on the line. Nerd polling takes away the fear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Why even bother putting it in as a option.. if You don't want to do it...then don't.  Just making the game work harder by adding more code.

Honestly, it's the look of minecraft that turns me off. So little kid like (not to crap on people who enjoy that, just not my cup of yorkshire)..

But I have had the thought that 7d2d was based on what a more grown up version of minecraft would look like. They are VERY similar in a lot of ways after all.

I tried Minecraft years ago, and 2 things turned me off from it. 1, I find the terrain generation to be ugly and uninspiring. 2, There's no purpose to anything in the game other than you making your own purpose (but without motivation that comes from a need, I lack this skill).

 

Oh absolutely. Like I said, I once turned of BM hordes and it completely changed the feel of the game. In my case, for the worst, but to each their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, STyK_ said:

Why make mods for it? Same answer, more realism and immersion for those of us who want the challenge. I've talked to with other players and its the 'fear' this game can put into you that really makes it great, especially when you add permadeath to it and everything is on the line. Nerd polling takes away the fear.

Meh. I play permadeath myself. Nerd poling is just a handy way to get around sometimes imo. And just because you like the fear aspect, maybe other people don't. see no need to add more stuff to a engine that struggles at times already. Again, if you want the fear factor and think nerd poling takes away from that, there is nobody forcing you to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Meh. I play permadeath myself. Nerd poling is just a handy way to get around sometimes imo. And just because you like the fear aspect, maybe other people don't. see no need to add more stuff to a engine that struggles at times already. Again, if you want the fear factor and think nerd poling takes away from that, there is nobody forcing you to do it.

I just said its not just me, ask Jonah Birch about the fear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I tried Minecraft years ago, and 2 things turned me off from it. 1, I find the terrain generation to be ugly and uninspiring. 2, There's no purpose to anything in the game other than you making your own purpose (but without motivation that comes from a need, I lack this skill).

 

Oh absolutely. Like I said, I once turned of BM hordes and it completely changed the feel of the game. In my case, for the worst, but to each their own.

Well, I could get into the exploring, and building bit of it all by itself, I don't really need a "purpose" any more than i needed one to make sand castles when I was little. It was just fun. But yeah, the terrain looks so...bleh. Thats why I like 7d. it has a bit of "edge" to it, I can build and screw around however I want for the most part, and there is a more adult feel to the dangers. 

3 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I just said its not just me, ask Jonah Birch about the fear.

Everybody thinks they are part of a majority... so you got a dozen people that think the way you do....so what? For everybody you can count, If i could be bothered to put that much effort into proving a point, I could come up with people that feel the polar opposite...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Well, I could get into the exploring, and building bit of it all by itself, I don't really need a "purpose" any more than i needed one to make sand castles when I was little. It was just fun. But yeah, the terrain looks so...bleh. Thats why I like 7d. it has a bit of "edge" to it, I can build and screw around however I want for the most part, and there is a more adult feel to the dangers. 

Like I said, to each their own. :) And "purpose" doesn't have to come in the form of a big bad blood moon horde that threatens your existence every 7 days (by default); one of the reasons why I love another game called Terraria over Minecraft is because in Terraria, every block you remove or place or flatten with a hammer, every thing you loot, each rare drop feels like an accomplishment and changes the course of your game. Not removing that annoying stray dirt block before an event or boss battle might cost you. Flattening out that hill or not as well, or deciding to equip that accessory over that one. I don't get that from Minecraft I find.

 

On a complete side note though, I have no idea where this came from, but what is your opinion on BM Range in 7D2D?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Well, I could get into the exploring, and building bit of it all by itself, I don't really need a "purpose" any more than i needed one to make sand castles when I was little. It was just fun. But yeah, the terrain looks so...bleh. Thats why I like 7d. it has a bit of "edge" to it, I can build and screw around however I want for the most part, and there is a more adult feel to the dangers. 

Everybody thinks they are part of a majority... so you got a dozen people that think the way you do....so what? For everybody you can count, If i could be bothered to put that much effort into proving a point, I could come up with people that feel the polar opposite...

sounds like there should be an option then. Anyway this is going in circles, enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

I don't understand the question?

Blood Moon Range applies a random number (whatever you set it to) to the Blood Moons. Ex. If you have Blood Moon Frequency set to 7 and Blood Moon Range set to 3, then the first horde could arrive on days 7-11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Yopo said:

Wow, way to crap on those that enjoy. Stealth play. Killing zombie play. Destroying things play and looting play.  Good job you 

My bad i meant to say "If you think nerpoling is more fun than*"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

Blood Moon Range applies a random number (whatever you set it to) to the Blood Moons. Ex. If you have Blood Moon Frequency set to 7 and Blood Moon Range set to 3, then the first horde could arrive on days 7-11.

Oh, well never played like that to be honest.. Just left it at default every 7 days. But I could see how people who are more into the tense fear factor side of things would really like that, since you would have no idea of when it's coming, then would have to scramble like hell to prepare if it dropped on a day that you were not ready for. If thats what some people like, more power to them. I think I prefer to know what day it's coming on, since I get tense enough preparing as is. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Oh, well never played like that to be honest.. Just left it at default every 7 days. But I could see how people who are more into the tense fear factor side of things would really like that, since you would have no idea of when it's coming, then would have to scramble like hell to prepare if it dropped on a day that you were not ready for. If thats what some people like, more power to them. I think I prefer to know what day it's coming on, since I get tense enough preparing as is. lol

Yeah I can see that. Lol. I'm just in constant debate with myself if I like it or not. I'm interested in it for that fear factor and because it breaks up the norm, but I'm not a fan of it because I would probably only find to to be obnoxious or dull (in between short or long waits between hordes, respectively). 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yeah I can see that. Lol. I'm just in constant debate with myself if I like it or not. I'm interested in it for that fear factor and because it breaks up the norm, but I'm not a fan of it because I would probably only find to to be obnoxious or dull (in between short or long waits between hordes, respectively). 😛

Yeah, everybody has fun in different ways. Like if that was the default way the bm horde worked, I would prob just quit, because i'm not into constant grinding tension.. I like to build, explore, have a fun adventure, where I am smarter than the brain dead zombies that want to eat me, and we have a good little fight once a week. Thats why I play on default. Very lighthearted I suppose, but as a older player I get more than enough tension and fear from real life, and just want to have fun in my little zombie sandbox..Without the cat turd landmines...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...