Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Could have all the pipe guns use a generic "crude ammo" that's cheap to craft. They're meant to be weak anyway so the bulk of the stats could just be from the guns themselves. Plus then actual ammo could be made a bit more scarce since you don't have to supply the early game.

19 minutes ago, madmole said:

Because they have about 20% more killing power than a bb gun.

Pipe guns that use all the current ammos so you can specialize right away. Pipe rifle (762) pipe shotgun (shotgun ammo), Pipe machinegun (762), Pipe pistol (9mm), Pipe baton (stamina), and possibly pipe junk gun (junk ammo) and possibly a full pass of junk guns, we'll see how it all fits together for the intellect guy.

Pipe shotgun? What of the blunderbuss?

1 minute ago, Vintorez said:

Could have all the pipe guns use a generic "crude ammo" that's cheap to craft. They're meant to be weak anyway so the bulk of the stats could just be from the guns themselves. Plus then actual ammo could be made a bit more scarce since you don't have to supply the early game.

Then you'd end up with ammo that's obsolete for most of the game. Upgrading from a pipe rifle to a hunting rifle would kind of suck if all the ammo I scavenged/ crafted was now pointless and I had to start from scratch.

11 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

Then you'd end up with ammo that's obsolete for most of the game. Upgrading from a pipe rifle to a hunting rifle would kind of suck if all the ammo I scavenged/ crafted was now pointless and I had to start from scratch.

So Blunderbuss ammo? Which is what I'm saying should be replaced with this generic crude ammo, except it would supply all pipe tier guns.

17 minutes ago, Vintorez said:

So Blunderbuss ammo? Which is what I'm saying should be replaced with this generic crude ammo, except it would supply all pipe tier guns.

I have a feeling blunderbuss ammo will be removed at some point. To be honest I'm surprised it's still in as it's an inconsistency. madmole mentioned pipe guns using existing ammo so if that comes to fruition that will likely see blunderbuss ammo removed.

15 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

I have a feeling blunderbuss ammo will be removed at some point. To be honest I'm surprised it's still in as it's an inconsistency. madmole mentioned pipe guns using existing ammo so if that comes to fruition that will likely see blunderbuss ammo removed.

maybe the Pipe shotgun can be called "Blunderbuss" but with a new model!

like this!

Spoiler

Waterpipe Shotgun | Rust Wiki | Fandom

2 hours ago, LewZephyr said:

Anyone else's sledge turrets not working?

I can use it in my hand manual, but when on the ground, the zeds just walk all around it. 

The turret seems active, its laser is going and its panning back and forth, but never fires.

This is my first time to actually use them, but I saw them working on some of the earlier streams so not sure if this is a bug that just got introduced.

Thanks.

Try standing closer. 

1 hour ago, Zakku said:

But I already see this in A18.4, so what's the difference?

Zombie bears were not dropping testosterone in A19 and now they are.   

15 hours ago, skullpoker said:

Chopping up a bear carcass, it starts bouncing around and half clipping into the ground. Then it bounced up and vanished. Are dancing bears intended gameplay? I have yet to see any other types of dead animals bounce around.

Also, taking the XP reward off of crafting ore bundles is bad form.

And the cost to build a Chemistry Station is outlandish. 100 Forged Iron is dumb, but pales in comparison to the 5 acid, when those seem to be especially rare now or gated behind Book RNG.

All crafting XP is bad form, it needs to be 100% removed, or 100% added.

100 forged iron is nothing, try ARK I needed 4200 forged iron to make a ascendant long neck that did 400% damage. You want it, you pay the price. 5 acid is easy to get if you know where to look. I have tons of acid collecting dust in my storage chest. Buy a chem station from a trader if you think the crafting cost is too steep.

16 hours ago, STyK_ said:

So after getting my @%$*#! handed to me and nearly dieing last bloodmoon not expecting the full horde I spent the week upgrading the base. Reinforced concrete 3 blocks high all around the building, upgraded the spikes to iron around the building and the walls, repaired the barbwire (both only one layer), cleared out eye level windows to shoot from, knocked out the already damaged middle blocks in the wall, then subdivided all the rooms and reinforced all the inside walls 3 high minimum. Then created a tunnel system under my base (don't worry not my first rodeo) connecting all the rooms. Then last day I made this little guy and connected him to the tunnel system, unfortunately not all the bars got upgraded so I only got one level in there before bailing. Its a little scary cause I don't upgrade/repair/build while fighting. With the tunnel system now I can pop up where ever I want and "Suprise M$#%@^ ^&#$!" right at eye level. No cheese base design. Safe to say for now I'm back on track handing their asses to them. Used 600 pistol rounds, 11 mollies, and 10 shotgun rounds. They didn't even breach the working stiffs.

Difficulty Insane, nightmare speed for everything, 64 zeds, 25% loot, no loot respawns, 2hr days, no nerd polling, no cheese and a bunch of other rules I make for myself to make the game more realistic/hard, Permadeath. Its possible.

Will update when I'm ready to show you how I deal with demolishers without abusing they're pathing. I'm thinking fighting fire with fire, they blow stuff up so I'll turn that in my favor.

Mini_Bunker.png

Score_board.png

Nothing better than when your hard work pays off. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labor!

9 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:
11 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Erhm... because they're still working on it?

Madmole repeated to exaustion that they're going to refurbish the crafting helper system at some point, stop always repeating questions that were already answered. 😶

Well excuse me if im not a forum bar fly and dont see everything.....

Sorry, didn't mean to come out that blunt lol

Also... the forum search engine is your friend! 😁

59 minutes ago, madmole said:

Nothing better than when your hard work pays off. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labor!

I wish I had a capture card so I could put it on youtube so I could show you guys this isn't just talk. I am obviously trying to prove somethings. Maybe when the world starts to get right again.

I know the diff isn't that important in the grand plan, there are other priorities but have you guys considered different watermarks for each difficulty to put on the background of the scoreboard? Would show authenticity if it only showed up on the vanilla game. Just an idea, I realize time is running out if you want to gold next summer. 

Edit: Cause if this is going to be a sole pve game when its released then is seems to me the most interesting gameplay is seeing who can last the longest on the hardest settings. Not that guys building cools structures isn't neat too. Maybe players who can do both,

7 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Anyone know if there'll be a muzzle flash added to the tactical assault rifle? I looked through the known issues and didn't see it mentioned there. Feels weird to fire as it stands

It will.

3 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Is there any story behind the random dog bark in the blunderbuss sound? I'm curious if it got in there on accident or if maybe overlapping sounds are creating what sounds like a dog bark. Why is it that sometimes you can hear it and sometimes you can't?

99% of the sounds have a dog bark built into it to create paranoia of zombie dogs.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Wait, no pipe fireaxe ?

You have a stone axe.

2 hours ago, Vintorez said:

Yeah lets clog up inventory space with ammo that quickly becomes useless.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Pipe shotgun? What of the blunderbuss?

Delete it.

2 hours ago, jorbascrumps said:

You beat me to it.

22 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Can we get a handle on the iron hatch? or even an indication where the hinges are. The other hatches its easy to see the direction it will open.

Trying to replace and place hatches in my base, I needed 5 and I've made 10 because there is no consistency in placing them.

There IS consistency. When placing it, look to place the square patch on the lid in the bottom right corner. This means the hatch opens away from you. Once you see it it is easy from then on to know which way it will open.

2 hours ago, Vintorez said:

Deleted along with the blunderbuss which is replaced by the pipe shotgun.

2 hours ago, jorbascrumps said:

God damned genius. At least some people pay attention :)

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Pipe guns that use all the current ammos so you can specialize right away. Pipe rifle (762) pipe shotgun (shotgun ammo), Pipe machinegun (762), Pipe pistol (9mm), Pipe baton (stamina), and possibly pipe junk gun (junk ammo) and possibly a full pass of junk guns, we'll see how it all fits together for the intellect guy.

I though you would just rename blunderbuss ammo to primitive ammo and have all the pipe weapons use that. 

29 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I wish I had a capture card so I could put it on youtube so I could show you guys this isn't just talk. I am obviously trying to prove somethings. Maybe when the world starts to get right again.

I know the diff isn't that important in the grand plan, there are other priorities but have you guys considered different watermarks for each difficulty to put on the background of the scoreboard? Would show authenticity if it only showed up on the vanilla game. Just an idea, I realize time is running out if you want to gold next summer. 

Edit: Cause if this is going to be a sole pve game when its released then is seems to me the most interesting gameplay is seeing who can last the longest on the hardest settings. Not that guys building cools structures isn't neat too. Maybe players who can do both,

All modern Nvidia cards are capture cards, just use geforce experience for hardware capture, no lag, that is how I record all my videos.

It isn't a competition, the whole game is designed to be a cooperative experience where players of different skills and backgrounds can join up to fight the real enemy: Zombies. We have pvp too, but I won't focus on that until beta.

5 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

There IS consistency. When placing it, look to place the square patch on the lid in the bottom right corner. This means the hatch opens away from you. Once you see it it is easy from then on to know which way it will open.

That doesn't excuse the fact that you need a strategy guide to figure it out. It's bad, we'll fix it so there is an obvious hinge and handle side.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

In all seriousness though, with the new pipe weapons in place, I suspect that Tiers 1, 2, and 3 will be shunted along in gamestage to make more room for the primitive age? Or will it be kept the same?

There is always balance reshuffling to do each alpha. The T3 stuff might feel OP, but when we get some tanks and special infected in, they might need buffed.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Deleted along with the blunderbuss which is replaced by the pipe shotgun.

God damned genius. At least some people pay attention :)

So no more "The Buss"?  RiP...hopefully its replacement will be just as fun. 😀

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

That doesn't excuse the fact that you need a strategy guide to figure it out. It's bad, we'll fix it so there is an obvious hinge and handle side.

There is always balance reshuffling to do each alpha. The T3 stuff might feel OP, but when we get some tanks and special infected in, they might need buffed.

I was talking more about players typically getting a couple T1 guns by day 7 (in loot mind you, not from the trader) in A19; it'll be a shame for the pipe weapons to be introduced only for them to be replaced before the player gets to use them to their full potential. I know I play on 90 minute days, but furing my last 4 playthroughs in A19 experimental branch I barely looted before the day 7 horde and in only one of those playthroughs was I forced to use a couple blunderbusses for horde night and not having a pistol or a hunting rifle to carry me.

I haven't yet used any T3 weapons in A19 so I can't comment on that, but once bandits are introduced I expect the current paradigm to be changed up quite a bit. :) 

Archived