Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Finally was able to get on and test the latest build on my experimental server which had been clean wiped as suggested, was evening of Day 4 when I logged on as others were able to test play before I was able to. Spawned in just as night began, completed my starter quests and got the trader quest, and got packed up and ready to go just as dawn broke, which also coincided with the end of my safe spawn time zone (5 hours). Two zombies spawn ahead of me but I hear a woof and turned around to see a Dire Wolf chasing me down. Wasn't able to get away before it nommed my bones clean. 

I seem to recall someone on here having a similar experience shortly after they first started playing (albeit on Day 1) at level one as well. 

2 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:

Yea makes no sense to me. All assets in game should be able to be crafted imo. Id just workout how much cement it is per block and spawn them in and throw the mats away. 

Erhm... because they're still working on it?

Madmole repeated to exaustion that they're going to refurbish the crafting helper system at some point, stop always repeating questions that were already answered. 😶

7 hours ago, faatal said:

Hopefully the disappearing backpack bug is now fixed. That was not easy to track down.

There was about a 5% chance, depending on when random chunk saves happen, that a newly dropped item would be lost when you teleported away, because its chunk might not save.

No. WAY! That's a cause for celebration.

I'm taking my jump-engines offline now...no, wait....I'm setting my stuff to drop on death again!

-Morloc

Running into some consistent frame rate issues in the latest experimental, centered around the desert. I'll go inside my base for a time (usually several minutes to deposit loot in an organized fashion), and the entire time heading to base and inside base, I'm at a smooth 60. Then I go outside and look at the desert, and my frame rate nosedives into the 20's. If I then hike into the desert, it can drop into single digits. Relogging or waiting about twenty minutes causes it to clear up, but it's a consistent problem that I'm not running into in other biomes.

Also, vultures and coyotes seem to like to disappear when I kill them with melee, preventing harvest. Weird.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Madmole repeated to exaustion that they're going to refurbish the crafting helper system at some point, stop always repeating questions that were already answered. 😶

Well excuse me if im not a forum bar fly and dont see everything.....

I did some testing last night of performance between A18.4 and A19 B173 and I know its not a apples to apples comparison but I thought I would share my end results here.

PC Specs 

Amd 3600

32 gigs Ram

2070 Super

Tested at 1080P Default High Settings

In A18.4 My Video Ram stays at a 5.5 GB usage and around 15gb of ram, this includes all overheads while recording ect ect.

CPU @40-60% used, GFX card around the same.

In A19 B173 My Video ram maxes my card at 7.8 GB and ram usage is at 19-20gb total.

CPU @40-60% used, GFX card around the same.

I know that the textures are getting made smaller as per Faatal post from earlier, with that all been said, I am still seeing the same frame rate across both tests even with the increased ram useage.

Game still feels smooth and great to play.

Anni

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Sorry I didn't know this either I'll get rid of my second post, thanks.

41 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

my issue is my radeon 580 with 8gb gets black screen on play. that texture resize is doing some wonky stuff. hope they get it under control. and I am at min settings.

edit: and yes, my drivers are up to date

When is that occurring for you?  I have the same card but haven't experienced it. I don't think i am on low settings though. 

9 minutes ago, XaranGames said:

When is that occurring for you?  I have the same card but haven't experienced it. I don't think i am on low settings though. 

ever since the patch and about 5 minutes in, new save, new map. during intro quests. I since then oc'd the fans to compensate. can now play about an hour. diagnostics on vid card dont show a problem. psu is fine, cpu and ram are not overloaded, using ryzen 5

Anyone else's sledge turrets not working?

I can use it in my hand manual, but when on the ground, the zeds just walk all around it. 

The turret seems active, its laser is going and its panning back and forth, but never fires.

This is my first time to actually use them, but I saw them working on some of the earlier streams so not sure if this is a bug that just got introduced.

Thanks.

Yo Anni ! i noticed a smoother frame rate between a 18 and 19 i am on and (linux ubuntu 20.4 , )AMD ryzen 5 3600 6 cores , 64 gigs of RAM and i  was on a radeon 580 8 gig VRAM then upgraded  with a MSI 5700xt 8 gig VRAM

I also noticed when i upgraded video cards the GLcore render has spots flashing across the terrain textures i, so i started using the Vulkan which is amazing !!! even though its not fully supported though, and  i wouldn't recommend generating a map with Vulkan on linux cause it crashes or if it generated it had huge symmetrical holes(different rectangles some more the 100 x 75 x bedrock m big ) everywhere got me the dig deep challenge gratis because of it . i tried  the same seed on the GLcore got completely different results if this is an otherwise unknown bug id be happy to give further details . but any how on linux using the vulkan (after generating on GLcore ) i get 144 fps just chilling in my base and haven't seen it drop past 80 fps while there is a more drastic difference between highest and lowest frames its only cause im producing the highest fps i ever have . i just raided the Pharma headquater during dusk hours with shadows and SSAO and al that fun stuff except reflections which isnt working on linux screen goes black every time and i have monochromatic hands . so point is im baked an i forgot where im going with this but on the bright side my back doesn't hurt a bit(long day of PT wew!) good day folks ! Excited to see what this games gonna look like GOLD and optimized . PS any good bug reporters wanna give advice on how to use the Debug panel efficiently  id appreciate any help

18 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Can we get a handle on the iron hatch? or even an indication where the hinges are. The other hatches its easy to see the direction it will open.

Trying to replace and place hatches in my base, I needed 5 and I've made 10 because there is no consistency in placing them.

Eventually. For now you should place a wooden one and then upgrade it, that is what I do.

17 hours ago, Amanitasec said:

I have just played couple of days  of A19, and I loved! Its much harder to gain resources, there is no option to find good tool or weapon stright away. I found sand in the forge, I guess its for the concrete mix but I am nothing close to that anyway. A lot of chickens and rabbits everywhere, I like that too! Its hard to find deer or wolf so far. Food is a treasure, I am buying all cans from trader and from vending machines - I love that, I can feel apocalypse now:) I am a bit confused with healing system though. After I had a too close fight with a zombie in the basement with a broken leg (of course in the horde night day) I have lost some health. I was trying to build the health with simple bandages, with painkillers, with food, with vitamins, and it looks like only passing time can help. Am I correct? If so I must admit I really like it, If it is possible to speed that up, but I just dont know how to do that - please help me then:) 

7dtd - gets better and better:) I would like to have more time to play it these days...

I'm glad you are liking it. Click on the broken leg icon or any buff to take you to the status page and see what you would need to treat that injury, that is what is lowering your max health.

27 minutes ago, LewZephyr said:

Anyone else's sledge turrets not working?

I can use it in my hand manual, but when on the ground, the zeds just walk all around it. 

The turret seems active, its laser is going and its panning back and forth, but never fires.

This is my first time to actually use them, but I saw them working on some of the earlier streams so not sure if this is a bug that just got introduced.

Thanks.

We just had a horde night using 4 sledge turrets on latest patch level, they worked flawlessly. And it was great fun. So at least generally they are working.

16 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

i love that sound.... i hope it stays. :)

Is there any story behind the random dog bark in the blunderbuss sound? I'm curious if it got in there on accident or if maybe overlapping sounds are creating what sounds like a dog bark. Why is it that sometimes you can hear it and sometimes you can't?

29 minutes ago, Jon Dillinger said:

Yo Anni ! i noticed a smoother frame rate between a 18 and 19 i am on and (linux ubuntu 20.4 , )AMD ryzen 5 3600 6 cores , 64 gigs of RAM and i  was on a radeon 580 8 gig VRAM then upgraded  with a MSI 5700xt 8 gig VRAM

I also noticed when i upgraded video cards the GLcore render has spots flashing across the terrain textures i, so i started using the Vulkan which is amazing !!! even though its not fully supported though, and  i wouldn't recommend generating a map with Vulkan on linux cause it crashes or if it generated it had huge symmetrical holes(different rectangles some more the 100 x 75 x bedrock m big ) everywhere got me the dig deep challenge gratis because of it . i tried  the same seed on the GLcore got completely different results if this is an otherwise unknown bug id be happy to give further details . but any how on linux using the vulkan (after generating on GLcore ) i get 144 fps just chilling in my base and haven't seen it drop past 80 fps while there is a more drastic difference between highest and lowest frames its only cause im producing the highest fps i ever have . i just raided the Pharma headquater during dusk hours with shadows and SSAO and al that fun stuff except reflections which isnt working on linux screen goes black every time and i have monochromatic hands . so point is im baked an i forgot where im going with this but on the bright side my back doesn't hurt a bit(long day of PT wew!) good day folks ! Excited to see what this games gonna look like GOLD and optimized . PS any good bug reporters wanna give advice on how to use the Debug panel efficiently  id appreciate any help

I recommend Windows and Directx 11/12 first. Then it starts. And second, comment something shorter so the developers read it and respond.

Regards

16 hours ago, Vechs said:

Why do almost no video games ever portray 22 Long Rifle caliber weapons and ammo?  Is it because you can fit 300 rounds in a soda can? :)

Because they have about 20% more killing power than a bb gun.

15 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

@madmole

is it gonna be a flint-lock type of gun? 

or some salvaged DIY pipe guns 

or some re-imagine old school guns like a spencer repeating rifle

no more gun nut talk ☹️

Pipe guns that use all the current ammos so you can specialize right away. Pipe rifle (762) pipe shotgun (shotgun ammo), Pipe machinegun (762), Pipe pistol (9mm), Pipe baton (stamina), and possibly pipe junk gun (junk ammo) and possibly a full pass of junk guns, we'll see how it all fits together for the intellect guy.

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

Because they have about 20% more killing power than a bb gun.

Pipe guns that use all the current ammos so you can specialize right away. Pipe rifle (762) pipe shotgun (shotgun ammo), Pipe machinegun (762), Pipe pistol (9mm), Pipe baton (stamina), and possibly pipe junk gun (junk ammo) and possibly a full pass of junk guns, we'll see how it all fits together for the intellect guy.

Wait, no pipe fireaxe ?

Archived