Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

14 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm just saying why go to all that work for 4 points? Just cancel and be free, like alpha 1.

I don't have a solid answer for you right now, but what I will do when stable hits is in my first world I'll go as planned and in my next world I'll do what you suggest and I'll come back to you and report my preferences. I'm not one for hand-outs, but if someone is handed a free fish every day, they'd naturally resist giving that convenience up. I suppose one reason why I'd be inclined to follow the process I laid out is because I'd rather get the mining perks out of the way ASAP (which I do anyway) before I get to the "fun stuff". Hardly a compelling argument though I'd admit - you gotta work for what you want to earn. Tbh the more I double think this the less convinced of my method I become. *Processing...*

I suppose I'll just go with the old faithful method and force it upon myself and never look back. I did the same with deactivating loot respawn, and then I followed with disabling air drops entirely.

What was that you went on about a bit ago? How natural selection will realize us into less fragile beings? I see myself undergoing that metamorphosis now actually, albeit gradually.

Can we get a handle on the iron hatch? or even an indication where the hinges are. The other hatches its easy to see the direction it will open.

Trying to replace and place hatches in my base, I needed 5 and I've made 10 because there is no consistency in placing them.

27 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Can we get a handle on the iron hatch? or even an indication where the hinges are. The other hatches its easy to see the direction it will open.

Trying to replace and place hatches in my base, I needed 5 and I've made 10 because there is no consistency in placing them.

A hinge or handle would be nice.  For now the trick is remembering they always open away from the player on default rotation.

Also, the small square sheet is a helpful marker as well.

@Laz ManI tried that. The first hatch placed just as you said but every other one after would try and place in the same direction as the last. When you take a stack of them and try and place them on holes facing different directions it seems to want to automatically place in the same direction you did the last one. I even took the stack off my belt to see if it would reset this but it didn't.

Even a finger hole would be enough.

I have just played couple of days  of A19, and I loved! Its much harder to gain resources, there is no option to find good tool or weapon stright away. I found sand in the forge, I guess its for the concrete mix but I am nothing close to that anyway. A lot of chickens and rabbits everywhere, I like that too! Its hard to find deer or wolf so far. Food is a treasure, I am buying all cans from trader and from vending machines - I love that, I can feel apocalypse now:) I am a bit confused with healing system though. After I had a too close fight with a zombie in the basement with a broken leg (of course in the horde night day) I have lost some health. I was trying to build the health with simple bandages, with painkillers, with food, with vitamins, and it looks like only passing time can help. Am I correct? If so I must admit I really like it, If it is possible to speed that up, but I just dont know how to do that - please help me then:) 

7dtd - gets better and better:) I would like to have more time to play it these days...

56 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

28 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

A hinge or handle would be nice.  For now the trick is remembering they always open away from the player on default rotation.

Also, the small square sheet is a helpful marker as well.

YES please!!! I know the small square orients the hatch some way but I never remember which way and invariably place it wrong and have to tear it out and hope I get it right the next time.  Instead I've given up on placing iron hatches and just upgrade wood to iron.  More materials but at least I can get the hatch to open the way I want the first time.

51 minutes ago, Amanitasec said:

I found sand in the forge, I guess its for the concrete mix but I am nothing close to that anyway

For Glass Jars, makes life just a little bit easier. 😉 Your welcome!

Don't sweat it man. When I started in A16 I thought the best way to make jars was to augar bullet proof glass. I also thought I could take on a bear with a chainsaw. 🤣 Good times.

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

A better visual clue would be appreciated but there is in fact an indication. The small square has a distinct orientation. I believe if it's located in the lower right-hand corner it will open away from you.

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

I agree, but in the meantime the solution I found is to place the wood hatch first and then upgrade it to the next tier having the iron one in my backpack. :juggle:

47 minutes ago, Zarzthor said:

YES please!!! I know the small square orients the hatch some way but I never remember which way and invariably place it wrong

+1 for a handle on the hatch! FWIW, the way I've dealt with it is that unbroken side has the hinge. Three sides have some sort of overlapping patch piece, but one side is unbroken. That's the hinge side.

image.png.b52d84d95cd6c3626670874da5185e0d.png

16 hours ago, FileMachete said:

Appreciate the info Faatal (and the effort). I probably wouldn't have mentioned anything except for the 'larger' 1/4 textures running a bit better than the smaller 1/8ths.

Thanks!

Load order, current VRAM use and then where the OS decided to put textures would make it somewhat random what is in VRAM vs system RAM.

----

Hopefully the disappearing backpack bug is now fixed. That was not easy to track down.

There was about a 5% chance, depending on when random chunk saves happen, that a newly dropped item would be lost when you teleported away, because its chunk might not save.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, madmole said:

We decided to go with more late game super weapons since America is chock full of hunting rifles, shotties and pistols.

Why do almost no video games ever portray 22 Long Rifle caliber weapons and ammo?  Is it because you can fit 300 rounds in a soda can? :)

9 hours ago, madmole said:

Guys, stop with the gun nut talk, we aren't adding /changing any guns except primitive pipe weapons in the future.

@madmole

is it gonna be a flint-lock type of gun? 

or some salvaged DIY pipe guns 

or some re-imagine old school guns like a spencer repeating rifle

no more gun nut talk ☹️

Chopping up a bear carcass, it starts bouncing around and half clipping into the ground. Then it bounced up and vanished. Are dancing bears intended gameplay? I have yet to see any other types of dead animals bounce around.

Also, taking the XP reward off of crafting ore bundles is bad form.

And the cost to build a Chemistry Station is outlandish. 100 Forged Iron is dumb, but pales in comparison to the 5 acid, when those seem to be especially rare now or gated behind Book RNG.

6 minutes ago, skullpoker said:

And the cost to build a Chemistry Station is outlandish. 100 Forged Iron is dumb, but pales in comparison to the 5 acid, when those seem to be especially rare now or gated behind Book RNG.

5 acid is not that bad! i find a nice amount! just look in sinks!

Hell i wish they add more uses for Acid!

*COUGH COUGH ACID BOMB JUNK PLASMA SHOT, COUGH ALLOW US TO DRINK IT COUGH COOOOOOOOOOOOGH!!!! cough*

So after getting my @%$*#! handed to me and nearly dieing last bloodmoon not expecting the full horde I spent the week upgrading the base. Reinforced concrete 3 blocks high all around the building, upgraded the spikes to iron around the building and the walls, repaired the barbwire (both only one layer), cleared out eye level windows to shoot from, knocked out the already damaged middle blocks in the wall, then subdivided all the rooms and reinforced all the inside walls 3 high minimum. Then created a tunnel system under my base (don't worry not my first rodeo) connecting all the rooms. Then last day I made this little guy and connected him to the tunnel system, unfortunately not all the bars got upgraded so I only got one level in there before bailing. Its a little scary cause I don't upgrade/repair/build while fighting. With the tunnel system now I can pop up where ever I want and "Suprise M$#%@^ ^&#$!" right at eye level. No cheese base design. Safe to say for now I'm back on track handing their asses to them. Used 600 pistol rounds, 11 mollies, and 10 shotgun rounds. They didn't even breach the working stiffs.

Difficulty Insane, nightmare speed for everything, 64 zeds, 25% loot, no loot respawns, 2hr days, no nerd polling, no cheese and a bunch of other rules I make for myself to make the game more realistic/hard, Permadeath. Its possible.

Will update when I'm ready to show you how I deal with demolishers without abusing they're pathing. I'm thinking fighting fire with fire, they blow stuff up so I'll turn that in my favor.

Mini_Bunker.png

Score_board.png

4 hours ago, madmole said:

Rewrite that in a simple one liner question and leave the game design, thoughts and opinions out of it and it would be more helpful and I might take the time to read it and answer it.

I'll do that. When it's done.  

1 hour ago, skullpoker said:

Chopping up a bear carcass, it starts bouncing around and half clipping into the ground. Then it bounced up and vanished. Are dancing bears intended gameplay? I have yet to see any other types of dead animals bounce around.

I have a bug ticket for it. Some of the fat zombies do it to. I don't know why anyone would want such a feature, so yes, it is a bug, probably from some of the colliders changing.

15 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

In my post above those walls have centered half blocks, why can't we make them?

Yea makes no sense to me. All assets in game should be able to be crafted imo. Id just workout how much cement it is per block and spawn them in and throw the mats away. 

There is a FREE voxel plugin for Unreal Engine 4.  You can make procedural worlds and it looks to me like Empyrion, but something to look into if TFP want to continue voxels on a larger scale.  Or just to check out the mod if its not compiled.

To me for a Part 2, I would be happy with a non-voxel post apocalypse game in the New York city area!

With an in depth plot/story line and various sandbox/shooter/survival options.

I dont ask for much.  I just want the world!  😋

6 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:

Yea makes no sense to me. All assets in game should be able to be crafted imo. Id just workout how much cement it is per block and spawn them in and throw the mats away. 

*Answered*

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived