Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Sooo there was just a power outage at my place - it lasted for about a tenth of a second I'd say - and it corrupted my world files completely. I think I'm just going to wait for stable, the world is angry at me for playing EXP right now. 🙄

 

Edit: Nevermind, managed to salvage my save files. It wiped my bike though, so I just spawned a new one in.

Always always always backup your save files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Well, there are 61320 hours in 7 years if my calculations are correct, so it isn't completely infeasible. 😜

61344 hours due to 2016 being a leap year. :nerd:

  • Poop 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a long range zombie would be neat, and a game changer, sitting on horde night and not knowing where your getting hit from only to see a zombie vomitting at a distance and not getting closer, or even a rare zombie who is recently infected and still knows how to throw a spear haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I think a long range zombie would be neat, and a game changer, sitting on horde night and not knowing where your getting hit from only to see a zombie vomitting at a distance and not getting closer, or even a rare zombie who is recently infected and still knows how to throw a spear haha

Spoiler

don't get me started!
 

Indian Dude On Phone Shushes You - YouTube

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I think a long range zombie would be neat, and a game changer, sitting on horde night and not knowing where your getting hit from only to see a zombie vomitting at a distance and not getting closer, or even a rare zombie who is recently infected and still knows how to throw a spear haha

Sounds it could be frustrating to me, a zombie far out with a high probability of not being able to locate and kill it for what ever reason.

Police Zombies play the 'flob vomit from afar' game quite well even if they do run towards you at the same time. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really like the idea of specialized zombies in general. It would make base design and horde night way more tactical. Stuff like a spider zombie that leaves a web ladder behind it so other zombies can climb your walls and attack you from different angles, a miner zombie that digs tunnels that other zombies can use, a fog / darkness zombie with an AoE aura that masks a 5~ish block radius around it that turrets won't shoot into and can hide other zombies, ranged zombies that hit you from a distance or blind you or something etc.

 

That approach would make the player have to actually think during horde nights and try to target specific zombies, instead of just standing on bars safely throwing down OP molotovs and pipe bombs until the horde music stops

 

For a ranged zombie they could do some kind of infested zombie that stays at range and summons tiny hornets or something that fly at the player to attack. The devs already have the old hornet coded and everything, so they could just downsize that and have a zombie that spam summons them until it's killed

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@madmole Some questions if some quality of life changes are being worked on:

 

- Option to change toggling/holding ADS? (I know they are both implemented, but the response for the holding ADS is super slow compared to any other shooter)

 

- Buyable/Craftable in-game lights for the players to use (some were removed since A16 for some reason, and i keep getting teased by the construction lights in PoIs)?

 

- New honk sounds for the motorcycle and truck?

 

- Actually shifting sounds for the vehicles instead of the boring loop one? (You have the gear shift sound when you start moving after being still, then it goes into a monotone loop)

 

- Make burst fire actual burst fire? Right now it's just better to spam tap shoot with burst fire weapons, i thought burst fire was supposed to be a really fast burst but with a lower fire rate per burst.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Make burst fire actual burst fire? Right now it's just better to spam tap shoot with burst fire weapons, i thought burst fire was supposed to be a really fast burst but with a lower fire rate per burst.

 

I don't understand the point of the semi or burst fire mods. I always just burst fire my full auto guns in all games with short controlled bursts, there's no reason that I know of to not just use a full auto mod and use controlled bursts. Gives you the option of going full auto in a pinch too

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

 

I don't understand the point of the semi or burst fire mods. I always just burst fire my full auto guns in all games with short controlled bursts, there's no reason that I know of to not just use a full auto mod and use controlled bursts. Gives you the option of going full auto in a pinch too

Right now, there is no point (and i'm sure it doesn't end here, i just need confirmation from the devs if they dont mind), but take a look at the famas from CS 1.6 (not CSGO).

Auto firing meant you had to control the spray and trying to burst with auto was not as accurate as if you were to actually use the burst-fire mode. I actually think the burst-fire shot faster between rounds, though i'm not sure.

 

True burst-fire gives you a short controlled burst of damage that you can't get when auto-firing (or shouldn't for gameplay purposes) with insane per bullet fire rate, but not per burst. Right now, the burst fire weapons simple act as an automatic weapon with a fire rate lock on the 3rd shot, and it feels super artificial and useless.

 

As for semi-auto, it should probably increase the damage per shot, or have some sort of critical hit chance. But i don't mind using it on the pistol...it's extra damage until i get rad remover =P

Edited by RhinoW (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notes for b173 have been posted. how long does it take to go live?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just read the notes, nice to see some optimization done, though im still concerned that i haven't heard anything about the grease monkey book we are supposed to find, its still on the first page but i haven't seen it yet, am i missing something??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, madmole said:

Yes, we keep turning it up, but it hasn't reached the point where everyone is complaining about it, so I know it isn't high enough.

The main issues is, from my point of view, people do not really get hit. For the first 30 days, you encounter slow zombies and in small numbers. They are easily dispatched even with melee weapons and you only really get hit either if you are really careless, or few dogs / wolves get drop on you. Once you get hit, the effects do proc. I think its not the proc rate that needs increase, but zombies having higher uptime. On normal difficulty, looting is pretty boring until you start getting ferals. Perhaps upping zombie speed? or having more of them in PoIs would work better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

just read the notes, nice to see some optimization done, though im still concerned that i haven't heard anything about the grease monkey book we are supposed to find, its still on the first page but i haven't seen it yet, am i missing something??

On the first page of this thread:

Quote

Vehicle Update - pushed to A20

  • Vehicle Mods
  • Vehicle break down and collision system

Extremely likely that includes that books series since those mods were the central theme of it.

Quote

Grease Monkey Learn to modify and craft vehicles of all currently existing shapes and sizes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

 

I don't understand the point of the semi or burst fire mods. I always just burst fire my full auto guns in all games with short controlled bursts, there's no reason that I know of to not just use a full auto mod and use controlled bursts. Gives you the option of going full auto in a pinch too

Increases RPM now I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Onarr said:

The main issues is, from my point of view, people do not really get hit. For the first 30 days, you encounter slow zombies and in small numbers. They are easily dispatched even with melee weapons and you only really get hit either if you are really careless, or few dogs / wolves get drop on you. Once you get hit, the effects do proc. I think its not the proc rate that needs increase, but zombies having higher uptime. On normal difficulty, looting is pretty boring until you start getting ferals. Perhaps upping zombie speed? or having more of them in PoIs would work better.

Mileage will vary based on player experience (not XP) and skill.  I know some people who still get hit all the time...😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

i was hoping it wasn't the case, i was hoping to build a school bus and drive it hahaha

3D model Post Apocalyptic School Bus | CGTrader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe smaller wounds should be frequent and less harmful but stack up. Could just be its own debuff called "nicks and bruises" that just does like -1hp per stack and heal fairly quick on their own, but zombies frequently apply one or more stacks when they hit you. Could also have it occasionally apply from things like breaking glass and mining, but this would be tricky to balance without making it obnoxious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@madmole   Shouldn't  there be a third bookcase helper that decides good or poor?

 

like this:

 

<placeholder name="cntBookcaseRandomLootHelper">
        <block name="cntBookcaseGoodRandomLootHelper" prob=".6"
        <block name="cntBookcasePoorRandomLootHelper" prob=".4"/>
    </placeholder>

 

This way there is no guarantee which one is spawned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

or even a rare zombie who is recently infected and still knows how to throw a spear haha

I might be the only one here, but I think zombies that can use tools and/or guns is the most seedy and most ridiculous concept in the zombie genre. Now, I'm not trying to say it should never be done or that it can't be done, but everytime I see it it's just horrible how hilariously bad it looks.

 

Since the game takes place around a radiated wateland, and there clearly are mutants in the game, I think there could be much richer ideas for special zombies, such as zombies that can hit you with an elongated limb, like the smokers in Left 4 Dead. I've also noticed that most of the new zombie models added in the game have these weird whiteish bubous protruding from their skin; maybe we could have zombies that have these huge bubous around their whole bodies and splurt toxic gas when near the player, a concept kinda similar to the shamblers from TLOU2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy Joe Hand Grenades, just updated and booted into the game, its a heck of a lot faster now than it was, optimizations for the win

4 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

I might be the only one here, but I think zombies that can use tools and/or guns is the most seedy and most ridiculous concept in the zombie genre. Now, I'm not trying to say it should never be done or that it can't be done, but everytime I see it it's just horrible how hilariously bad it looks.

 

Since the game takes place around a radiated wateland, and there clearly are mutants in the game, I think there could be much richer ideas for special zombies, such as zombies that can hit you with an elongated limb, like the smokers in Left 4 Dead. I've also noticed that most of the new zombie models added in the game have these weird whiteish bubous protruding from their skin; maybe we could have zombies that have these huge bubous around their whole bodies and splurt toxic gas when near the player, a concept kinda similar to the shamblers from TLOU2.

i would even settle with zombies randomly having a tool or something in there hand that they wont let go of from when they "died" meaning you might have a nurse with a stone axe or pick axe, could be interesting ideas

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...