Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

@madmole

 

Any plans to make the inventory "Sort" button more intuitive?  I had a new player tell me that it would be nice if there was feature to auto sort their inventory.  It turns out the "Sort" button is an icon of a backpack and nothing else so I can see why they didn't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faatal said:

I know it is happening to some people. It is just a matter of finding a middle ground that works reasonably well for everyone within our minimum computer specs. This is experimental and that was an experiment. In any event it can't stay how it was before, since Joel consistently would report his FPS dropping to 20 FPS after x minutes of play and having to reload to fix it. He has a high end PC.

 

The irony is it may be the console warning messages from block prefabs not yet loaded causing a lot of the lag and not the actual loading.

...that would be funny.  It's not so much about a stutter/FPS drop as it is about a *surprise* stutter/fps drop.  That happens at the wrong moment and you're falling into a pit, missing a jump, an attack, etc.  Can be life threatening.  😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sillls said:

 Mastery of the kiting technique

 

I wanted to talk to you about mastering the technique of kiting. 

 

Basically kiting is backing up which anybody can do. But to gain mastery of it, one has to learn how to time and space at just the right time moment. Most people overdo it and step way the hell back and that is a waste of time and effort. While others have bad timing and get hit. 

Just tap the "S" key just when the zombie  moves forward and you stay just out of reach. Small quick taps are better than one long one. 

 

Mastery will allow you to continuously hit the zombies without a break.  

It would be best to practice this with the knife as it has a high thrust rate with low energy expended. 

For best results, aim for the center of mass, COM.

For the quickest kill and if you are getting good. Aim for the head. 

Make sure you can back up. You don't want to get stuck, that would be bad. 

 

Finally, practice, practice, practice and some day you will be nearly as good as me. IMAO  😄😃 

 

It also helps to have plenty of space to back up and a path in mind...Also, the spear is a great weapon for practicing as the extra reach is more forgiving...:)

 

Edit: On the flip side, I think the spear is a double edged sword...because of its low damage, it requires more attacks to kill and thus increases the chances that a zombie will rage.  My brother still doesn't react very well to the change in zombie speed when it happens...

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I don't think this counts as a bug as much as  feedback regarding a general performance issue. Also, I'm not posting there until I can make a reliable and solid repro for each and every one of the cases. This is not a sound fx tweak.  Posting here may be annoying sometimes, but it's always the more direct approach if the issue is BIG and crippling, like this one.

Posting here is fine. Mostly I just want hardware specs and circumstances in which it is happening.

 

I just ran 7d7d from my HD. Flying around, visiting all the biomes and towns and still pretty smooth. No freezes. I do drop to 30 FPS for a few frames while it loads, but quite playable. I even have some of those console warnings, but they don't seem to be doing much to my FPS.

 

I added a "mem objpre" console command for testing to precache block entity data and never remove them.

 

People with big freezes can try disabling their antivirus on the game's folder to see if that is slowing down loading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xetsubou said:

So I just updated to b169 and tried to join my server but got the nullreferenceobject console spam keeping me from playing, I don't mind being level 1 again but is there any way to fix this or do I have to start over again?

Start over.  Especially in Experimental.  😃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, madmole said:

 

I know a couple devs have really wide monitors and it worked fine for them, but I don't know the exact res so no promises, but it sounds promising :)

 

That's good to know there's a chance, maybe a dev or forum member might know for sure about if 5120 x 1440 res is supported. Thanks Joel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Thats why its good to have a second crappy computer to see performance issues early.

That is why we have testers and I have not heard of any of them having issues. Dropped in on a lot of streamers this weekend and have not seen any of them having load delays either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, faatal said:

 

People with big freezes can try disabling their antivirus on the game's folder to see if that is slowing down loading.

Sadly I always make sure to disable any function on the antivirus both manually and internally before running games and I keep my pc clean and defragmented with ccleaner ( actually I uninstall the antivirus each time I play, just because I hate even the hint of a popup or background app). The only programs that boot on startup are steam. Clean as a baby's dental record.

Not even telemetry or Anticheat activated. Nothing. 

 

Pure minimum system clean of gadgets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xetsubou said:

So I just updated to b169 and tried to join my server but got the nullreferenceobject console spam keeping me from playing, I don't mind being level 1 again but is there any way to fix this or do I have to start over again?

Lucky you... since the last patch nitrado won't allow me on the  server, nor does it install a new game in experimental....it's not playable at all... 

hopefully it's fixed when the A19 stable comes out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, madmole said:

Probably, its never in a quantity that I keep, so I toss it out.

and that's why it needs a look.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

I know it is happening to some people. It is just a matter of finding a middle ground that works reasonably well for everyone within our minimum computer specs. This is experimental and that was an experiment. In any event it can't stay how it was before, since Joel consistently would report his FPS dropping to 20 FPS after x minutes of play and having to reload to fix it. He has a high end PC.

 

The irony is it may be the console warning messages from block prefabs not yet loaded causing a lot of the lag and not the actual loading.

can you temp disable console warnings for that warning and have people test that as an issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

my game froze and i came back and sense i was riding my minibike!

 

 

The gods ate my Minibike! 

 

 

at least i didn't loses my levels!

 

 

 

Side note: whoever decided to make the Junker/Junk turret shoot faster when you hold it! you get 50 dukes! i love it!

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

my game froze and i came back and sense i was riding my minibike!

 

 

The gods ate my Minibike! 

 

 

at least i didn't loses my levels!

You're sure your bike isn't behind somewhere? You checked the map for the bike icon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Space4Ace said:

You're sure your bike isn't behind somewhere? You checked the map for the bike icon?

ill have to check but i don't think its there 

 

 

Madmole, Gazz, Faatal and the other Pimp gods just did this to the minibike!

Spoiler

Turkey Patrick GIF - Turkey Patrick Star - Discover & Share GIFsjk all in good fun :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

ill have to check but i don't think its there 

 

 

Madmole, Gazz, Faatal and the other Pimp gods just did this to the minibike!

  Hide contents

Turkey Patrick GIF - Turkey Patrick Star - Discover & Share GIFsjk all in good fun :)

 

well i quit out whilst on my bike and it disappeared and then it was outside the trader for some reason same for my bicycle there seems to be some wacky stuff happening when you quit off on your vehicles

 

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

@madmole

 

 

i got a few questions for the bow!

 

 

1: Will damage be scaled for the wooden bow and compound bow, cuz the compound bow feels... Weak same with the compound crossbow 

 

2: will bows get a update in any shape or form? like able to put a Sight on it for example 

 

3: will bolts be removed. (you don't need to answers that if not) 

I am playing an agility character now so if it feels weak we can always boost it. It's main advantage is superior sneak damage to everything else so it isn't meant to really keep up damage wise with pistols. Cheap ammo, best stealth and sneak damage means it is going to have to be worse damage wise than firearms. We are adding core visuals for mods to all weapons that don't have them yet.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

well i quit out whilst on my bike and it disappeared and then it was outside the trader for some reason same for my bicycle there seems to be some wacky stuff happening when you quit off on your vehicles

 

well i even checked on the map and its gone!

 

Oh well! im making a motorcycle now! INTELLECT BABY!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

@madmole

 

Any plans to make the inventory "Sort" button more intuitive?  I had a new player tell me that it would be nice if there was feature to auto sort their inventory.  It turns out the "Sort" button is an icon of a backpack and nothing else so I can see why they didn't know.

Any interactive icons "expand" when you hover over them. Perhaps a loading screen tip for that, and this specific issue would be a win.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

well i even checked on the map and its gone!

 

Oh well! im making a motorcycle now! INTELLECT BABY!!!!!!!

what day are you on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

and that's why it needs a look.

can you temp disable console warnings for that warning and have people test that as an issue?

That would be dumb, we need the warnings to see what the bugs are so we can fix them properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@madmole i've gotta say that the new dynamic music system as well is MUCH MUCH better than in a18 same goes for the general feel of the game well i know all the different tracks and stuff because so far i've got like 40 hours into a19

 

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, madmole said:

I am playing an agility character now so if it feels weak we can always boost it. It's main advantage is superior sneak damage to everything else so it isn't meant to really keep up damage wise with pistols. Cheap ammo, best stealth and sneak damage means it is going to have to be worse damage wise than firearms. We are adding core visuals for mods to all weapons that don't have them yet.

understand able! i do think the Compound bow could uses some more love! when i used a Compound bow IRL, FIRST is was FUN! but it also hurt! they got some kick! (mostly cuz i got Twig arms) while i don't think it should be as strong as say the Sharpshooter Rifle but not 30 damage. 

 

 

and while realistically you could put multiple arrows together and Fire it at those Zombies! but thats not part of the game.

 

6 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

what day are you on?

24! got a level 4 Junk turret (my main gun), a Level 4 Junk hammer and Stunbaton (my main melee weapons)

 

 

if you eat the Brain tats and get the Replusor mod! its the best thing in the world! its like this!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

well i even checked on the map and its gone!

 

Oh well! im making a motorcycle now! INTELLECT BABY!!!!!!!

mine too though it only started appearing on the map untill i got close to it i'd say like 70m

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, madmole said:

I am playing an agility character now so if it feels weak we can always boost it. It's main advantage is superior sneak damage to everything else so it isn't meant to really keep up damage wise with pistols. Cheap ammo, best stealth and sneak damage means it is going to have to be worse damage wise than firearms. We are adding core visuals for mods to all weapons that don't have them yet.

I started agility/bow and thought it was a very good starter stealth weapon. The +200% sneak damage out of the gate was a refreshing touch. I used it thru compound bow. There was a very noticeable time frame where a silenced weapon over-took the bow. When I got a) urban combat 7-piece bonus and/or b) desert vulture (most likely this first) it became the go to over the bow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Callum123456789 said:

mine too though it only started appearing on the map untill i got close to it i'd say like 70m

ill look for it when i make my bike. thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...