Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

They showed it...not sure what adam is seeing.  They ran into them at the fire station POI.

strange! are you sure it was a dev stream?

cuz i wanted to kinda skim through it to find the new models and take a pic!

but now sense i got time! i can watch the stream!

edit: sorry for calling you a Liar :) 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)
  • Knuckle Rub 1

--Low Priority-- I'm stuck on an endless hold call atm

3 hours ago, madmole said:

It isn't useless, when 2 hits leaves that annoying 1 or 2 health behind you can do a power attack every other hit and destroy the block on that 2nd hit.

Okay, totally following this for things like Pickaxe, Shovel, Fireaxe; where you're 'destroying' a block.

{reply to my question if "salvaging" tools could repair in a19}

3 hours ago, madmole said:

They don't, only stone axe, hammer and nail gun repair.

Thank you for the answer.

But I'm now a bit confused & can't go into the game until later/tomorrow to see for myself..

Say you're "salvaging" a desk chair with a wrench, and you wind up having to do one more swing for the last 1 hit-point to finish it.

I don't remember being able to 'power-attack' when trying to salvage and have the power hit register as a 'salvage' hit..? It would just deal more 'normal' damage right?

Trying to understand if 1, I have that bit right, and 2, if that's changed in a19?

In other words, can a salvaging tool, wrench/ratchet/impact-driver, do more "salvaging" with a power-hit in a19, or is the power-attack dealing straight 'normal' damage?

4 hours ago, madmole said:

Under no circumstances does an iron pickaxe suck compared to a stone axe, the block damage has always been at around double for me. Sure if you don't have any stamina then it does suck, but have you side by side mined? I still think it is faster catching your breath, but I don't use mine that way, I always eat and drink to reduce it, and typically start getting sex rex so I am not feeling so punished. So short runs of mining with iron is always better than short runs with stone axe, IMO. But yeah if you are gassing out and staring at a rock then maybe the stone axe is better. I usually don't have enough mods to make that purple stone tool worth using over the yellow/green/blue iron I crafted.

The key is to avoid mining until you get perked into it and get some half decent gear. I only mine the poi resources early game until I get about 3 ranks of at least miner 69r then I start crafting my tools and doing a bit of coal/nitrate mining for ammo.

Hopefully you can just set a block to what textures make sense on it and build one day. So you build a wood frame and can choose what wood it would be. Use metal and pick metal textures.  Then you don't have to paint except the insides of your walls if you want to.

no, iron pickaxe yellow or better is better than stone purple, but a stone purple shovel outshines the iron shovel. I dont upgrade that til I find a grey steel shovel.

1 hour ago, FileMachete said:

--Low Priority-- I'm stuck on an endless hold call atm

Okay, totally following this for things like Pickaxe, Shovel, Fireaxe; where you're 'destroying' a block.

{reply to my question if "salvaging" tools could repair in a19}

Thank you for the answer.

But I'm now a bit confused & can't go into the game until later/tomorrow to see for myself..

Say you're "salvaging" a desk chair with a wrench, and you wind up having to do one more swing for the last 1 hit-point to finish it.

I don't remember being able to 'power-attack' when trying to salvage and have the power hit register as a 'salvage' hit..? It would just deal more 'normal' damage right?

Trying to understand if 1, I have that bit right, and 2, if that's changed in a19?

In other words, can a salvaging tool, wrench/ratchet/impact-driver, do more "salvaging" with a power-hit in a19, or is the power-attack dealing straight 'normal' damage?

I exclusively power hit harvest with that tool class. It's pretty funny because the animation is a bludgeoning attack for all 3 tools, generates a ton of noise but you salvage in fewer hits... and this *is* a time management game.

• Thanks 1

@faatal

When you play 7dtd and say something happens like you're Game Crashes or Power outage while playing and you log back into you're game and you.

• Spawn in a random area (like the spawn points around them map)
  • spawn with the beginning items
  • you're level 1 and lost everything
  • But everything in the map is still there. Bases, POIs, and everything you explored on you're map is still there! (both In game and the Mini map)

is it suppose to do this? this also happen to MechanicalLens.

it kinda sucks to deal with :(

13 hours ago, Guppys Fur said:

regarding T5 Quests and especially the Shotgun Messia Factory:

Take a Wrench with you, or ratchet. The amount of Parts you can get out of there when you wrench Chairs, AC´s, Doors etc is stunning. While the Apartment Complex is superior in terms of loot, you can easily make 20k Duke Tokens out of the Messiah in terms of spare Parts.

Given, you are right with the Ammo, it is really costly. But with the right skills and proper reflexes you can manage to bring it into the 3 digit area.

But you can do the same thing with a few smaller houses. I do just that. I wrench everything in sight in poi's. Stoves/fridges/lights/furniture etc. I get a few thousand out of a simple house and can do multiple of them a day. The T5 offers nothing new in that regard.

23 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

@faatal

When you play 7dtd and say something happens like you're Game Crashes or Power outage while playing and you log back into you're game and you.

• Spawn in a random area (like the spawn points around them map)
  • spawn with the beginning items
  • you're level 1 and lost everything
  • But everything in the map is still there. Bases, POIs, and everything you explored on you're map is still there! (both In game and the Mini map)

is it suppose to do this? this also happen to MechanicalLens.

it kinda sucks to deal with :(

Backup your save file...

15 hours ago, Gazz said:

There can not be a lot of progression on shovels because

- dirt does not have a lot of hit points and isn't supposed to

- stone tools must be decent

- progression must leave room for bonuses from both perks and quality level

There really isn't a lot of wiggle room there due to them having to be consistent with other tools.

The problem is that the stone shovel is very close to the iron shovel in terms of block damage per stamina point expended. Unperked, the stone axe gives 3.67 block damage per stamina point, and the iron shovel gives 3.88 block damage per stamina point, an improvement of only 5.73%. Then the steel shovel gives 5.82 block damage/stamina, a whopping 50% improvement over the iron shovel.

Here's my shovel progress redesign proposal:

s2V8hev.jpg

Note how:

* Percentage improvement in damage/second and damage/stamina is more consistent between successive tiers

* Iron shovel uses a bit less stamina/second, steel a bit more. This way, even with maxed  Sex Rex, you eventually run out of stamina using the steel shovel. This incentives the player to use mods, drinks, candies etc to further boost their stamina regen, unlike the current system. In other words, Steel is still clearly the best but has more room to grow into.

* Nerfed the auger damage a bit to be more in line with other tier-to-tier improvements, because not using any stamina is already a massive upside

Edited by Junuxx (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My A19 experience thus far would be: between surviving, maintaining self/base, and exploring there's never a "downtime" for me. If my forges, concrete mixers, chem stations, and workbenches aren't doing something then that's a problem, for me. I like where the perks are thus far. Love the mining still. As far as equipment later stages, the armor is good, the t3 weapons feel lacking in regards to endgame damage output - almost feels like there should be a t4 (another tier) - for demolishers/radiated swarms. Current weapons do get the job done, don't get me wrong, it's just a "feeling". Enjoying the building aspect so far in A19. I do wish we had more cleaner paint color variety (not a fan, myself, of chipped concrete / rusted metal colors). Sitting here waiting for my ammo to finish up in preparation for D105 horde nite. My base, besides some finishing touch-ups, is where I wanted it to be and is ready for testing before I add more "extras" or start another project. A special "Thank you" to @madmole and the rest of TFP for giving this disabled vet something to preoccupy the mind with. Here's the base:

Spoiler

20200716135636_1a.thumb.jpg.830d2bc9742cb77e56720bfe71977568.jpg

Edited by Syrex (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, madmole said:

They don't, only stone axe, hammer and nail gun repair.

I stopped mining stone directly. I only mine ore and use the leftover stone. I do mine those stone pallets though at POIs.

I stopped grinding stone into sand, it is a waste of good stone you need for concrete.

I also stopped smelting stone into cement mix.

These three things combined give me a surplus of stone and all the concrete mix I need. I just shovel it up at POIs now and mix it with sand I shovel up from the construction POI so I don't have to go to the desert or waste my stone grinding up sand. Much less grindier feeling playing this way. Usually by day 10 I have 3 stacks of cement mix. Last night on day 13 I easily upgraded the first 3 rows of my 7x7 and have enough left for post horde repairs.

Whatever works for you. :) We each have our ways of doing things.

34 minutes ago, Junuxx said:

The problem is that the stone shovel is very close to the iron shovel in terms of block damage per stamina point expended. Unperked, the stone axe gives 3.67 block damage per stamina point, and the iron shovel gives 3.88 block damage per stamina point, an improvement of only 5.73%. Then the steel shovel gives 5.82 block damage/stamina, a whopping 50% improvement over the iron shovel.

Here's my shovel progress redesign proposal:

s2V8hev.jpg

Note how:

* Percentage improvement in damage/second and damage/stamina is more consistent between successive tiers

* Iron shovel uses a bit less stamina/second, steel a bit more. This way, even with maxed  Sex Rex, you eventually run out of stamina using the steel shovel. This incentives the player to use mods, drinks, candies etc to further boost their stamina regen, unlike the current system. In other words, Steel is still clearly the best but has more room to grow into.

* Nerfed the auger damage a bit to be more in line with other tier-to-tier improvements, because not using any stamina is already a massive upside

Nearly doubling the animation speed for Stone Shovel will look kinda janky. I think +33% is about the most you can push without it getting into Crack addict territory.

This doesn't account for mods. I think Grave Digger + 3 others would be juuuuuuust enough to put Stone Shovel into 2 hit land again.

Are these numbers for Quality 6 for each tier?

This also doesn't factor in random variance in Iron/Steel.

Edited by Ranzera (see edit history)

I love the hand wraps in the game. you hit harder and do better. That and the knife make me feel like the predator rather than someone simply defending himself. 

But the way my Avatar holds her hands is just weird. No offence TFP's but it looks as if she is pushing a grocery cart. 

I would much rather it look more natural. 

26 minutes ago, Ranzera said:

Nearly doubling the animation speed for Stone Shovel will look kinda janky. I think +33% is about the most you can push without it getting into Crack addict territory.

This doesn't account for mods. I think Grave Digger + 3 others would be juuuuuuust enough to put Stone Shovel into 2 hit land again.

Are these numbers for Quality 6 for each tier?

This also doesn't factor in random variance in Iron/Steel.

That's true about the animation speed, it already seems fast as is. But we can change the animation ;)

Block damage is base/quality 1.

I honestly think you guys are missing a trick not allowing us to salvage objects from POIs intact. There's so many nice new objects, signs, posters that you could use in your base, but you can't take, make or even from the looks of things buy them. Honestly, I'd love to be able to bring home objects for my base (like we used to be able to with the old fridge for instance), it'd be another reason to go out and hit certain POIs.

I know you can get them from the creative cheat menu but I hate having to use that thing. I have to use it for a lot of missing blocks and to make painting less of a clickfest. Hope this part of the game gets some love at some point.

Edited by Gromit (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic