madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

8 minutes ago, GrifterMan said:

Madmole:

You didn't happen to record that session did you? Wouldn't mind seeing it if so. Sounds really intense.

No it would have been good though. That vulture was just waiting for me to leave lol. Like I kept looking up and he was circling. It would be funny if they screeched and attracted near by zombies to kill  you so they can eat the scraps.

Speaking of trying something different, that is exactly what I have been doing these past couple days. I've purposely thrown a spanner into the works and gone out of my comfort zone in two unconventional ways: I've started a temporary world with BM Frequency 1 and BM Range 10 as my settings - a challenge I have been putting off for the past couple years, so I thought now is the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet - and on top of that I've taken a step back from my usual playstyle. Usually my plan consists of taking over a house and living in the attic/basement for the first week, meanwhile looting like a speed demon for the first several days before constructing a cobblestone tower or fortifying a POI for the first horde night. This time however I am really taking to smell the chrysanthemums - for instance, I spend the first couple days almost exclusively working on a quaint little shack that is pictured below in the spoilers. I've also been slowly creeping my way through POI's, treating each zombie encounter as a threat to my very survival rather than rushing forward and bashing their skulls in like a maniac. I haven't had this much immersion in this game, or any game, in ages. The new linear lighting certainly does it just as well.

7 Days To Die also decided to welcome me properly to this challenge by gifting me with a horde on night 1; only a few zombies showed up due to my low gamestage, but it completely caught me off guard as I have BM Warning disabled. I was in the middle of looting a small house right before dusk when I heard the first crack of thunder. I was planning on returning all of my goods back home that evening, but instead I was simply forced to leave a dump chest with all my trinkets inside right outside the back porch, and what followed was me almost sealing myself in before I came to realize I was lacking any cobblestone. (I was unsure if A19 made any changes to such low gamestage hordes.) I rushed to the nearest construction site just down the road, did battle with a few local utility workers guarding their booty, and I returned to the house and upgraded some of the blocks with only a couple minutes to spare, leaving some blocks destroyed for me to poke at the zombies through with my level 1 spear. Sure, it was nothing (the fight itself), but it caught me right out of left field, giving me a better sense of appreciation for this challenge. The game, through RNG, is in complete control in how well or poorly you do; several hordes right after the other mid-game could spell certain death, or the game might give you a lovely break of a maximum potential of 11 total days.

What can I say Fun Pimps? You've crafted an excellent game - I'm not even going to call it a game, because in my eyes it's much more than that. 7 Days To Die is an experience like no other with the widest pallet available on the gaming market today. Call me a fanboy if you wish; I'm just one fan among many. :)

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-15_7_21_32_PM.thumb.png.711d19115a6b40e7dd2cbde0348c254c.png

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-15_7_40_39_PM.thumb.png.e40357b8bade7dacafacc398a4974112.png

2 hours ago, madmole said:

The real test is how much clay you can gather over 5 minutes under identical conditions. It might seem similar, but over time who has more clay which ultimately dug more blocks out?

I think there are some adjustments coming in the next patch, I told Gazz iron was a bit too heavy the other day so I think he lowered the weight 1 stam per second and that got me about 8 more hits with a pickaxe before gassing out (15 or 16 to 24).

What about giving the iron and steel tools a slight passive looting bonus as well? Similar to but separate from Mother Load. A 5 or 10% increase would probably be enough for people that are resource mining to look towards using the next tier tools as soon as possible.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:12 AM, Marinxar said:

So you picked it up the first time, without any knowledge of it, and was straight away able to pull it back without shaking . 

I have used several different size and types bows before, and I know it takes a lot of strength. Especially if you are not used to it or trained in it.

I did say in my post "If you use the proper method."  Indicating that you would need some experience and/or training.  I've been using bows most of my life and I took archery as a physical education credit in college. If you don't use the proper method then strength alone isn't going to help you anyway.  I've seen people with great strength struggle where people with little strength had no problem because they used the correct method.  The point of all of this is that having more strength will not allow you to do more damage with a bow.  If you can pull it back to a full draw it will do the same damage no matter how strong or weak you are.  What this would mean in game terms is that a bow would have a normal amount of damage and if you are not able to pull it back all the way than you will not be able to do that normal amount, but having more strength than necessary would add nothing since pulling the string back farther than a full draw will only damage the bow and not add to the damage of the arrow.

Posted (edited)

Question about the dynamic music. Is it possible to tweak when the "action music" starts?

The issue is, the music starts whenever you're in danger - whether you realize it or not. It has the effect of "telegraphing" the action, and removes a lot of the surprise about suddenly being surrounded by a horde.

The effect is a bit like this:

dedd70c0e774e2b5f9bdbef32bd1a5ca.jpg

EDIT: This should not be read as a criticism of the music itself, which is generally top-notch. I also don't have an issue with any other time the music decides to play.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)
  • Like 3

After reading all the shovel discussion it would need to be tested but I'm definitely leaning in the direction that stone shovel is better up until the point you can 1 shot dirt.  That is the experience I remember at least, fallible as memory is.  The increased damage and increased stamina works very well for axes and picks but since dirt/sand/gravel digs so easily by necessity it just doesn't have the hp values to give iron/steel the clear advantage until you can 1 shot dirt.  If it's a debatable or close differential stone will always be better because it's cheaper to maintain and uses less stamina.

Considering everything I think it's worth investigating whether iron and steel shovels need to cost the same stamina or less OR some other outside the box solution like power attacks on shovels getting rewritten with some sort of new functionality.  I think I've power attacked a zombie with my shovel only a few times and that was only for testing purposes to see how effective it was.

There can not be a lot of progression on shovels because

- dirt does not have a lot of hit points and isn't supposed to

- stone tools must be decent

- progression must leave room for bonuses from both perks and quality level

There really isn't a lot of wiggle room there due to them having to be consistent with other tools.

OTOH, I'm happy to see that the value of stone shovels is one of the biggest issues with 7DTD by now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, flydiasfly said:

Hello everyone! I'm almost never write posts here at the forum, but I play this game since the terrain was blocky and we have to deal with hornets. First I want to say that 7dtd for me is the best survival game in the market, period.

But something broke my experience while I was playing the new A19, and it was not a bug, it is just the loot progression. At first view, I really liked the way that this new system improved the first days challenge, and for a experienced player like me, was very good to have a tougher challenge to overcome. From the beginning I already know that in the early game stages we should spare the big POI's to loot after we can reach the main loot and find more than 5 stone spears and 3 stone axes.

So, I hold on until day 25 when I started to find some serious weapons in average POI's main loots, and decided to loot the Shotgun Messiah Factory I find early days. And this is when the loot progression thing broke my experience. To stay short, I started the POI raid with over 500 7.62 ammo for my AK47 and over 300 9mm for my silenced pistol. But even trying to go more with the stealth style, I soon depleted all my 9mm, and finished the radiated zombies at the ceiling literally with my last 7.62 cartridge (already finding it strange to have found almost zero ammo all the way up). And so on, I reach the main loot and... get around 30 9mm and 20 7.62 ammo, with a high level wooden bow and a all life stock of sledge turrets.

So, I went to this POI to have my first real challenge and to improve my weapons and ammo supply. And head back home with almost a thousand less ammo. The adventure was great, but the reward feel is completely broken.

Btw, thanks for the great work done with this game. Cheers from Brazil!

regarding T5 Quests and especially the Shotgun Messia Factory:

Take a Wrench with you, or ratchet. The amount of Parts you can get out of there when you wrench Chairs, AC´s, Doors etc is stunning. While the Apartment Complex is superior in terms of loot, you can easily make 20k Duke Tokens out of the Messiah in terms of spare Parts.

Given, you are right with the Ammo, it is really costly. But with the right skills and proper reflexes you can manage to bring it into the 3 digit area.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Speaking of trying something different, that is exactly what I have been doing these past couple days. I've purposely thrown a spanner into the works and gone out of my comfort zone in two unconventional ways: I've started a temporary world with BM Frequency 1 and BM Range 10 as my settings - a challenge I have been putting off for the past couple years, so I thought now is the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet - and on top of that I've taken a step back from my usual playstyle. Usually my plan consists of taking over a house and living in the attic/basement for the first week, meanwhile looting like a speed demon for the first several days before constructing a cobblestone tower or fortifying a POI for the first horde night. This time however I am really taking to smell the chrysanthemums - for instance, I spend the first couple days almost exclusively working on a quaint little shack that is pictured below in the spoilers. I've also been slowly creeping my way through POI's, treating each zombie encounter as a threat to my very survival rather than rushing forward and bashing their skulls in like a maniac. I haven't had this much immersion in this game, or any game, in ages. The new linear lighting certainly does it just as well.

7 Days To Die also decided to welcome me properly to this challenge by gifting me with a horde on night 1; only a few zombies showed up due to my low gamestage, but it completely caught me off guard as I have BM Warning disabled. I was in the middle of looting a small house right before dusk when I heard the first crack of thunder. I was planning on returning all of my goods back home that evening, but instead I was simply forced to leave a dump chest with all my trinkets inside right outside the back porch, and what followed was me almost sealing myself in before I came to realize I was lacking any cobblestone. (I was unsure if A19 made any changes to such low gamestage hordes.) I rushed to the nearest construction site just down the road, did battle with a few local utility workers guarding their booty, and I returned to the house and upgraded some of the blocks with only a couple minutes to spare, leaving some blocks destroyed for me to poke at the zombies through with my level 1 spear. Sure, it was nothing (the fight itself), but it caught me right out of left field, giving me a better sense of appreciation for this challenge. The game, through RNG, is in complete control in how well or poorly you do; several hordes right after the other mid-game could spell certain death, or the game might give you a lovely break of a maximum potential of 11 total days.

What can I say Fun Pimps? You've crafted an excellent game - I'm not even going to call it a game, because in my eyes it's much more than that. 7 Days To Die is an experience like no other with the widest pallet available on the gaming market today. Call me a fanboy if you wish; I'm just one fan among many. :)

Hide contents

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-15_7_21_32_PM.thumb.png.711d19115a6b40e7dd2cbde0348c254c.png

Hide contents

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-15_7_40_39_PM.thumb.png.e40357b8bade7dacafacc398a4974112.png

Sounds like fun. You know there are half eaves in the CM if those 1 meter eaves drive you nuts :) Just pay for them with the wood, write an IOU sign on your wall keeping a tally of how much you borrowed from the Iron Bank :) Craft the frames and toss them on the ground and let them despawn. Hopefully we can get a lot more shapes in someday.

I have a new crenulation design on my base, it looks pretty spiffy. I'll post a screen when I finish it and tear the scaffolding down.

30 minutes ago, Gazz said:

There can not be a lot of progression on shovels because

- dirt does not have a lot of hit points and isn't supposed to

- stone tools must be decent

- progression must leave room for bonuses from both perks and quality level

There really isn't a lot of wiggle room there due to them having to be consistent with other tools.

OTOH, I'm happy to see that the value of stone shovels is one of the biggest issues with 7DTD by now.

I agree on all points, and I'm also happy that the biggest issues people are concerned about are stone shovels and "realism".  It's a good sign. 

That being said, my overwhelming feeling is that the shovel situation can be improved and that there is a solution to this issue my brain is just not producing right now.  Whether such a minor issue deserves the resources required to improve it is unlikely though.  Still, I gave my honest appraisal on the shovels :P. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, madmole said:

Sounds like fun. You know there are half eaves in the CM if those 1 meter eaves drive you nuts :) Just pay for them with the wood, write an IOU sign on your wall keeping a tally of how much you borrowed from the Iron Bank :) Craft the frames and toss them on the ground and let them despawn. Hopefully we can get a lot more shapes in someday.

I have a new crenulation design on my base, it looks pretty spiffy. I'll post a screen when I finish it and tear the scaffolding down.

That's a really good tip, thanks. 🙂 I'm trying to not get too attached to this base since I'll be restarting whenever the next patch/build roles around, but nonetheless I'm putting at least a little bit of effort into it, so I'll keep that in mind. 🙂 I tend to throw away materials that would theoretically be used to craft certain items you cannot obtain in survival anyway.

This run has been pretty good so far. I found the bacon and eggs recipe on day 1 which was awesome, and my limiting factor for them has been eggs so far; I had another wolf horde pay me a visit on day 3, so that was nice, got over 100 meat after harvesting their corpses. Unfortunately they only started growling and barking when they in attack range of me, so they gave me a heart attack.

Neat-o, I'd be interested in seeing that sometime. 🙂 

Edit: What would also be nice would be some centered diamond trellises, hint hint, wink wink. ;)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Nah stone shovels are a huge problem and the only solution is to make stone shovels able to be thrown on power attack and then delete spears from the game. 

Pretty sure that perfectly solves the concerns of everyone involved. 

Posted (edited)

What's the point with power attacks for tools anyway, for mining purposes? Mining resources with power attacks is entirely fruitless, and I rarely use power attacks when opening up containers or doors anyway.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

What's the point with power attacks for tools anyway, for mining purposes? Mining resources with power attacks is entirely fruitless, and I rarely use power attacks when opening up containers or doors anyway.

I think there was an update where the entity damage of tools was improved to no longer leave you so defenseless when mining/digging/etc and that's what the power attacks are for.  Axe was a viable weapon for an update :P.  I think they were nerfed later either directly or indirectly with the perk rework.  I can only speak for my experience but I've never found them useful vs zombies since after the nerf (direct or indirect).  If I get ambushed I still find it better to quickly change weapon and deal with them. 

So unless alot of other people have a differing experience then power attacks on tools are basically dead weight at this point.  Such things happen as design evolves.

Edited by Ralathar44 (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

If you are fully specced into mining the stamina drain is irrelevant. With something like a coffee buff you can use power attacks to speed up mining even more and burn that extra stamina.

Question re a19; do any of the salvaging tools also Repair?

If I recall correctly, in earlier alphas (prior to a17?) the wrench could repair via R-click.

Would be ok by me if the salvaging tools didn't compete with the building tools when repairing/upgrading, say just the same as a stone axe does?

6 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

I think there was an update where the entity damage of tools was improved to no longer leave you so defenseless when mining/digging/etc and that's what the power attacks are for.  Axe was a viable weapon for an update :P.  I think they were nerfed later either directly or indirectly with the perk rework.  I can only speak for my experience but I've never found them useful vs zombies since after the nerf (direct or indirect).  If I get ambushed I still find it better to quickly change weapon and deal with them. 

So unless alot of other people have a differing experience then power attacks on tools are basically dead weight at this point.  Such things happen as design evolves.

You're not wrong when you said that this is what happens when the game updates or evolves. The claw hammer used to be a pretty viable weapon; now, not so much. Most players today wouldn't even mentally process it as a weapon. In another game called Terraria, many weapons that were introduced as updates came across became useless over time, overshadowed or even outclassed entirely by new gear. The recent 1.4 update fixed that issue for a lot of them, but that's most an exception to the rule.

This doesn't change my opinion that chainsaws should always be a devastating weapon against zombies. 😛 In that one particular case, The Fun Pimps killed a bit of fun.

4 minutes ago, Gazz said:

If you are fully specced into mining the stamina drain is irrelevant. With something like a coffee buff you can use power attacks to speed up mining even more and burn that extra stamina.

Doesn't your stamina cease regeneration for a few seconds after power attacking, and wouldn't that render any stamina regen buff effectively useless? I haven't tried this so I'm asking genuinely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gazz said:

By the time one is fully specced into mining, he has normally an Auger wich makes this obsolete^^.

If you want to hold off on mining until you have an auger then that's fine by me.

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

If you want to hold off on mining until you have an auger then that's fine by me.

No, I wasn't saying that at all. :) But once I get an auger, I never look back.

3 minutes ago, Gazz said:

It does mean the limited time of application of the power attack for mining is between the time you are fully skilled into mining and the time you get a decent augur.  That's a fairly narrow window unless you rush full miner at the expense of all else.  I personally don't think it's important for tools to have a useful secondary attack, but it's definitely one of those minor things that could be better.  Development resources, much like the shovel thing, are prolly better spent pretty much anywhere elsewhere though :P.

Posted (edited)

Is that the reason behind the Repair ability getting removed from the Wrench? So it could power attack?

Can kinda see that for something like a heavy wrench... but the impact driver (assuming it also can't repair/upgrade), sure I guess, but it doesn't really fit as a 'weapon', to my eyes at least. (yes I know, even a rolled up newspaper can be an effective 'weapon'. just seems like 'tools' that commonly both take apart and put things together would make sense if they did in game as well)

Edited by FileMachete (see edit history)

Augers are good because you can mine effectively even with minimal mining perks.

Not everyone uses them, though.

They aren't as good for a relaxed mining session and are very noisy which is not always desired.