madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Complaining about being 'stuck' with stone age with no access to 'better' items is just a fallacy. It's all just modified numbers in code that get incrementally better in game stages so you are essentially complaining about the name and picture icon of said item. Similar to thinking an amp that cranks up all the way to 11 is much better than one that goes to 10. 😆

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hello everyone! I'm almost never write posts here at the forum, but I play this game since the terrain was blocky and we have to deal with hornets. First I want to say that 7dtd for me is the best survival game in the market, period.

But something broke my experience while I was playing the new A19, and it was not a bug, it is just the loot progression. At first view, I really liked the way that this new system improved the first days challenge, and for a experienced player like me, was very good to have a tougher challenge to overcome. From the beginning I already know that in the early game stages we should spare the big POI's to loot after we can reach the main loot and find more than 5 stone spears and 3 stone axes.

So, I hold on until day 25 when I started to find some serious weapons in average POI's main loots, and decided to loot the Shotgun Messiah Factory I find early days. And this is when the loot progression thing broke my experience. To stay short, I started the POI raid with over 500 7.62 ammo for my AK47 and over 300 9mm for my silenced pistol. But even trying to go more with the stealth style, I soon depleted all my 9mm, and finished the radiated zombies at the ceiling literally with my last 7.62 cartridge (already finding it strange to have found almost zero ammo all the way up). And so on, I reach the main loot and... get around 30 9mm and 20 7.62 ammo, with a high level wooden bow and a all life stock of sledge turrets.

So, I went to this POI to have my first real challenge and to improve my weapons and ammo supply. And head back home with almost a thousand less ammo. The adventure was great, but the reward feel is completely broken.

Btw, thanks for the great work done with this game. Cheers from Brazil!

• Like 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

what next? the Sun rises in the morning? EA likes money? Grass is green?

image.jpeg.e3a0ebbee57def86ce3b75c42a9de9d4.jpeg

What are these radical concepts of yours? 

6 minutes ago, flydiasfly said:

Hello everyone! I'm almost never write posts here at the forum, but I play this game since the terrain was blocky and we have to deal with hornets. First I want to say that 7dtd for me is the best survival game in the market, period.

But something broke my experience while I was playing the new A19, and it was not a bug, it is just the loot progression. At first view, I really liked the way that this new system improved the first days challenge, and for a experienced player like me, was very good to have a tougher challenge to overcome. From the beginning I already know that in the early game stages we should spare the big POI's to loot after we can reach the main loot and find more than 5 stone spears and 3 stone axes.

So, I hold on until day 25 when I started to find some serious weapons in average POI's main loots, and decided to loot the Shotgun Messiah Factory I find early days. And this is when the loot progression thing broke my experience. To stay short, I started the POI raid with over 500 7.62 ammo for my AK47 and over 300 9mm for my silenced pistol. But even trying to go more with the stealth style, I soon depleted all my 9mm, and finished the radiated zombies at the ceiling literally with my last 7.62 cartridge (already finding it strange to have found almost zero ammo all the way up). And so on, I reach the main loot and... get around 30 9mm and 20 7.62 ammo, with a high level wooden bow and a all life stock of sledge turrets.

So, I went to this POI to have my first real challenge and to improve my weapons and ammo supply. And head back home with almost a thousand less ammo. The adventure was great, but the reward feel is completely broken.

The reward from the trader and the loot room is your profit, not doing the POI. I think it should be a net loss of ammo unless you use melee. We are still balancing things though.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, flydiasfly said:

Imo, the same goes for all the Tier 5 POI's. Simply not worth doing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vintorez said:

Have you guys considered trying to implement "dumb" filler zombie spawns? Basically enemies that have more basic AI and internal mechanics that make them viable to spawn in larger numbers to fill out the world.

I was browsing mods for Rimworld, a game that starts to chug even with just a few dozen colonists/creatures in play, and somebody made a mod called Zombieland that uses very simplified bare-bones entities that can be spawned in the hundreds with little performance impact. Wondered if something similar could be done for 7 days for those who want the zombies to have more of a presence in the day-to-day play.

Could be like desecrated zombies whose bodies are barely functional anymore. Low health, little to no xp value, basic pathing to approach the player and attack when in range, weak senses make them easy to stealth past and aren't too much of a nuisance to bases. Could give the game a whole new feel between horde nights and POI looting.

Yes. I have several ideas on my todo list, but they are not simple changes. They will need a good amount of R&D. Character controller updates is a big one, but reducing update frequency will cause problems, so it has to be done in a careful manner and time sliced to reduce frame spikes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, faatal said:

Yes. I have several ideas on my todo list, but they are not simple changes. They will need a good amount of R&D. Character controller updates is a big one, but reducing update frequency will cause problems, so it has to be done in a careful manner and time sliced to reduce frame spikes.

An standard non repeatable swarm of seminaked corpses that have only 1 draw call and 1 t-shirt/trousser with code-generated colours + shader and very simple AI pathing would be NICE . 

I don't know what's the matter here.  Just half a year of work minimum. We can wait in our makeshift bases  lol.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

DO you Love when the power goes out due to a storm and you lose everything! 

UPS are mandatory imo, they make life so much easier. Make sure you get one that's pure sine wave if you use it for a gaming pc

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Are wondering hordes also connected to your GS or is it random?

Yes, they are connected to game stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henrique said:

Are wondering hordes also connected to your GS or is it random?

Yes, but TFP also confirmed thoughtful hordes for a20, so no problem there. It all results in an enlightening experience after the blood moon night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Yes, but TFP also confirmed thoughtful hordes for a20, so no problem there. It all results in an enlightening experience after the blood moon night.

Finally zombie social workers that will thoughtfully talk about our issues.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

Finally zombie social workers that will thoughtfully talk about our issues.

Thoughtful? You realize to zombies that simply means eating your brains....

1 hour ago, Khalagar said:

UPS are mandatory imo, they make life so much easier. Make sure you get one that's pure sine wave if you use it for a gaming pc

i got one! its not great but it helps! but where i live, lightning can get really nasty!

and i happens no matter what!

and plus when the game restarts it only happens when

A: you're game crashes (like what happened to Mech)

B: you turn off you're PC while in game (i had to because i had a Emergency to help my mom with)

C : power goes out!

it has been like this for a while and it kinda sucks! i was on Day 31 on a full Intellect build! 

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Where we are going we won't need roads.

*harry potter theme starts playing*

• Dislike 1

On 7/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, faatal said:

My last game was basically the same. Played to about day 25 with most points in agility. Using q6 stone axe and shovel just fine. Each new quality level was an upgrade I was happy to get and put more and more mods into them as they got more slots. When the q1 iron stuff started dropping I trashed them. My stone q6s with mods were better.

If anything, the Q6 stone shovel needs a look. It's better than the entire iron shovel tier.

1 minute ago, Ranzera said:

If anything, the Q6 stone shovel needs a look. It's better than the entire iron shovel tier.

Yea it is a bit of an issue to me that the only thing iron has on stone is taking longer per repair

12 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Well, it's exactly like the weapons perks... so, what's the difference here?

Like the weapons perks you could decide NOT to buy Pack Mule and still be able to find the Pockets schematics in the world.

The reason I don't like Pack Mule to give you extra slots on its own is because:

1. It's "too gamey" or unrealistic (I know, realism! 🙄) because it just magically gives you those extra slots!
  2. Because I've read lots of people, me included, just prefer to add Pockets over time and completely ignore the (current) PM skill and save the points.

If you, however, tie the perk to the pocket mods, putting even just one point in PM would be worth it and make this perk "palatable" again. 😀

Food for thought IMO...

I'd like Pack Mule a lot more if it just reduced your mobility penalties in a generic fashion (Like I said in my perk rebalance post). Let pockets reduce your encumbrance slots and Pack Mule boost your mobility when it's under 100%. Both become useful.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ranzera said:

I'd like Pack Mule a lot more if it just reduced your mobility penalties in a generic fashion (Like I said in my perk rebalance post). Let pockets reduce your encumbrance slots and Pack Mule boost your mobility when it's under 100%. Both become useful.

I'm still torn because oftentimes I end up with a full inventory even with no encumbrance slots, if pack mule instead added full inventory slots it would be a lot nicer
(or if as other people stated, new armor mods come out that make pocket mods be more questionable)

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Mechanimal said:

Same, these little tweaks are so important, other voxel engines seem to drop the ball on this more than they should, i.e. Minecraft and Space Engineers. SE runs well actually, on default and even high(with good machine), as long as one does not crank all the things to ultra, especially since you can also set in-game block limits super high, even unlimited on some, on top of that. Bwahahaha, careful! They do have warnings, but gamers like to crank settings to find those limits, and oh boy are they gonna if they do. Maxing out 32 GB of mobo RAM is lol what. You'd need a high end workstation/server to handle it, and I bet one could still break even that. It broke my rig more than high detail level engineering model assemblies(think full robot where each screw has spiral threading), and that's saying a lot.

You guys are def ahead of the game in this department with your engine, it really is a big deal. Again, kudos. 

??

My computer has 32gb of RAM running in quad channel mode and I built this thing 4 years ago. That's not a crazy amount of RAM to have, especially now.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ranzera said:

It could be a nice alternative... though to be honest doesn't make much sense either.

Unless you mean that by better organizing your stuff you're less awkward when you move?

Edit: my point is pockets let you carry more stuff because they "add space" while Pack Mule lets you better organize the space you have hence use it more efficiently. By this logic when you DON't know Pack Mule your pockets are used (e.g.) up to 60/70% of their potential. After you learn PM you also raise this number until eventually you learn to fill your pockets up to near 100%.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

Yea it is a bit of an issue to me that the only thing iron has on stone is taking longer per repair

im sure they will fix that up!

Just now, Jost Amman said:

It could be a nice alternative... though to be honest doesn't make much sense either.

Unless you mean that by better organizing your stuff you're less awkward when you move?

Your load, regardless of source affects you less because you're used to hauling stuff around.

7 hours ago, madmole said:

One of the main designs behind the perk system is replayability. Since hard choices are required at least for a while it allows replays to feel completely different if you try another route. The game was feeling stale to me as a STR build, so I am doing agility now and having a lot of fun "learning the ropes" again. Using padded or leather armor, sneaking, bows... its a completely different feeling. I can't wait to get a desert vulture and SMG.

Would you say that a loot system on rails has more replayability than a totally random loot system? IMO, when I know what to expect every time, my interest wanes quickly.

• Thanks 1