Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, madmole said:

My fps is stable again, no more dips after playing a while, great work!

Same, these little tweaks are so important, other voxel engines seem to drop the ball on this more than they should, i.e. Minecraft and Space Engineers. SE runs well actually, on default and even high(with good machine), as long as one does not crank all the things to ultra, especially since you can also set in-game block limits super high, even unlimited on some, on top of that. Bwahahaha, careful! They do have warnings, but gamers like to crank settings to find those limits, and oh boy are they gonna if they do. Maxing out 32 GB of mobo RAM is lol what. You'd need a high end workstation/server to handle it, and I bet one could still break even that. It broke my rig more than high detail level engineering model assemblies(think full robot where each screw has spiral threading), and that's saying a lot.

You guys are def ahead of the game in this department with your engine, it really is a big deal. Again, kudos. 

Edited by Mechanimal (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CarlCastello said:

I don't believe that I did? You're suggesting tying PM with pocket crafting and you listed reasons why you don't like PM.

Ok, I hate having to explain myself (sorry I'm THAT lazy!) so I'll repeat and expand the concept a bit.

 

Weapon Perks are ALREADY working that way.

I'm just suggesting for Pack Mule to align with the weapon perks.

 

So, for those who say it'll never work then explain me WHY it's already working for weapons and can't work for pockets.

I hope I made myself (more) clear.

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, I was thinking that the "new" Pack Mule won't give you additional slots anymore, but will give you a fixed bonus (per level) on how "deep" the pockets you craft are.

 

So for example, something like this:

  • At Lvl1 you get the Single Pocket for clothing mod (so you won't get this mod from the start anymore)
  • At Lvl2 you get the Single Pocket for armor mod + the Double Pocket for clothing mod AND a +1 bonus slot for each pocket
  • At Lvl3 you get the Double Pocket for armor mod AND a +2 bonus slot for each pocket you have
  • At Lvl4 you learn to craft the Bandolier mod AND a +3 bonus for all your pockets

This way the "value" of the pockets you craft will grow alongside your Pack Mule skill and make it more useful IMO.

It's the same concept you already use for Weapon perks actually, where you get both a bonus AND the crafting recipes with the perk.

Anyway I'll stop here since I don't really care that much about this... it was just an observation. 

Personally I'll keep ignoring the current Pack Mule perk every time I play, but it's just the way I play, though you must know that I've read on Steam a lot of people mostly doing the same.

Edited by Jost Amman
typo (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lorca said:

DEAR MODERATORS

 

I don't get to the forums that much, but when I do, I mostly just want to read up on what the devs have been working on, but the dev "diary" has become the new forum. I've been reading this forum on and off for years, and I've progressively watched the general sharing section drying up and all the action moving here to this one thread.  I don't want to have to wade through hundreds of user comments to find the odd dev comment buried in amongst it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

 

Can't you make this thread read only, so that only devs can post here?  That way, we can easily find what they are up to, and if someone wants to argue about something they have said, they can quote the post and make a thread in general sharing. The discussion can continue there for those that are interested. The devs can even join in there if they want. It also groups topics better.

 

Please consider...

Meh, i like the way it is.

 

Sure, there are a lot of offtopic posts and discussions that lead to nothing, but a lot of great questions come up this way Roland, Fataal, Gazz and Mr. Mole take the time to answer.

 

And Roland does indeed clean out the Forum from time to time if things get too messy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lorca said:

DEAR MODERATORS

 

I don't get to the forums that much, but when I do, I mostly just want to read up on what the devs have been working on, but the dev "diary" has become the new forum. I've been reading this forum on and off for years, and I've progressively watched the general sharing section drying up and all the action moving here to this one thread.  I don't want to have to wade through hundreds of user comments to find the odd dev comment buried in amongst it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

 

Can't you make this thread read only, so that only devs can post here?  That way, we can easily find what they are up to, and if someone wants to argue about something they have said, they can quote the post and make a thread in general sharing. The discussion can continue there for those that are interested. The devs can even join in there if they want. It also groups topics better.

 

Please consider...

There's a simple solution to that:

  1. Click on the picture of the Dev you want to follow, it will load that dev's profile
  2. Save the link of the dev's profile page in your preferred list
  3. Read all the most recent posts of that devs

Done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lorca said:

Tying the loot to game stage just removes the desire to visit any difficult POIs or crack any safes because I'm just going to get stone axes anyway. It's bad enough that zombie difficulty is tied to loot stage. They too should be tougher in tough POIs.  Give me a reason to go out there. 

We know.

Like I've said several time: Not happening in A19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall MM talking about legendary items or special items that are to be placed into the world for those lucrative special rewards for searching. 

 

Did they end up in A19 or they pinned for a later revision ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorca said:

DEAR MODERATORS

 

I don't get to the forums that much, but when I do, I mostly just want to read up on what the devs have been working on, but the dev "diary" has become the new forum. I've been reading this forum on and off for years, and I've progressively watched the general sharing section drying up and all the action moving here to this one thread.  I don't want to have to wade through hundreds of user comments to find the odd dev comment buried in amongst it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

 

Can't you make this thread read only, so that only devs can post here?  That way, we can easily find what they are up to, and if someone wants to argue about something they have said, they can quote the post and make a thread in general sharing. The discussion can continue there for those that are interested. The devs can even join in there if they want. It also groups topics better.

 

Please consider...

That's unlikely to happen. In the meanwhile, you can go to the profile pages of the various devs and click on the view activity button on the upper right.  Here are links for MM, Gazz, and Faatal:

 

https://community.7daystodie.com/profile/3-madmole/content/

 

https://community.7daystodie.com/profile/4857-gazz/content/

 

https://community.7daystodie.com/profile/43564-faatal/content/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jay_ombie said:

I recall MM talking about legendary items or special items that are to be placed into the world for those lucrative special rewards for searching. 

 

Did they end up in A19 or they pinned for a later revision ?

Madmole completed the design but it didnt fit in A19 anymore.

Whetever or not its comming for A20 is unknown

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

The problem with this is it actually lowers playstyle diversity to me. If a certain weapon felt op or you were just comfortable with a certain type of weapon it would lower the chance drastically of you using other weapons for combat. It's nice in MP to have different styles of combat based on our noncombat roles as well. I do see your point but I believe the current system is better. With TFP giving their game such a good level cap, you can eventually get everything I believe too. 

For instance I keep hearing people talking about how good sledges are but as a non-strength player I don't see that at all yet. If I choose strength in one of my next playthroughs it will get me out of my comfort zone a bit to try out sledges. My motivation is significantly the non-combat portions of the other trees, and I like that they get me out of my comfort zone for combat.

One of the main designs behind the perk system is replayability. Since hard choices are required at least for a while it allows replays to feel completely different if you try another route. The game was feeling stale to me as a STR build, so I am doing agility now and having a lot of fun "learning the ropes" again. Using padded or leather armor, sneaking, bows... its a completely different feeling. I can't wait to get a desert vulture and SMG.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

There's a simple solution to that:

  1. Click on the picture of the Dev you want to follow, it will load that dev's profile
  2. Save the link of the dev's profile page in your preferred list
  3. Read all the most recent posts of that devs

Done

what next? the Sun rises in the morning? EA likes money? Grass is green?

image.jpeg.e3a0ebbee57def86ce3b75c42a9de9d4.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

what next? the Sun rises in the morning? EA likes money? Grass is green?

image.jpeg.e3a0ebbee57def86ce3b75c42a9de9d4.jpeg

Sun Rises in the Morning?.....Not in Tromsø, Norway... 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, madmole said:

One of the main designs behind the perk system is replayability.

It really does boost replayability. I don't even feel bad about needing to restart next Alpha because of it.

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lorca said:

Tying the loot to game stage just removes the desire to visit any difficult POIs or crack any safes because I'm just going to get stone axes anyway. It's bad enough that zombie difficulty is tied to loot stage. They too should be tougher in tough POIs.  Give me a reason to go out there. 

1.  Higher quality stone tools/weapons are very valuable to those who do not have the skills to craft them yet.  My pure agility run was very happy to get higher levels of stone axe and shovel.  I don't just have a desire to scavenge and hit those safes, they give me important upgrades as well as.... 

2. Tools/guns =/= all of progression, it's a tiny tiny slice of overall progression.  Books, recipes, schematics, dukes, cobblestones, cement, stone, wood, paper, brass, lead, iron, etc.  POIs provide all these things and if you don't have miner69er and motherload and you don't have recipes then POIs offer amazing progression. 

3.  If you decide to take every single "I'll mine it and craft it myself" skill then you've chosen to focus on self reliance instead of scavenging and so the rewards won't be as great for you because of your own choices.  Concentrate on playing how you skilled yourself to play.  Farm resources, use that trader, and craft your own stuff.  Hit the occasional POI when you feel like it but it's supplemental for someone taking those kind of skills.  Remember, this isn't A16 and before anymore...you have to make choices about what you are good at and what playstyle you want to have.  Everything is a tradeoff.

4.  Tying loot to gamestage is tying risk to reward.  I don't see a problem with that.

5.  There IS a problem with not being able to use your ranged specialization early.  TFP is working on it.  They have ideas about adding in additional weapons like pipe guns so that there are more T1 ranged weapons.  For now the blunderbuss and the primitive bow cover early game ranged weapons until proper firearms but they are definitely looking to improve that. 

6.  TFP has direct plans to give custom gamestage modifiers to specific POIs.  The tech isn't in yet though.  The plan is to have something like Shotgun Messaigh be considered a much higher gamestage.  That way you can get that better loot early, but you'll face much tougher enemies to do so.  It's planned to be risk vs reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guppys Fur said:

Meh, i like the way it is.

 

Sure, there are a lot of offtopic posts and discussions that lead to nothing, but a lot of great questions come up this way Roland, Fataal, Gazz and Mr. Mole take the time to answer.

 

And Roland does indeed clean out the Forum from time to time if things get too messy.

So they should just remove all other threads, because General discussion and Pimp Dreams aren't needed anymore. 

 

No one follows rules anymore, guess its just fact of life now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dethar said:

So they should just remove all other threads, because General discussion and Pimp Dreams aren't needed anymore. 

 

No one follows rules anymore, guess its just fact of life now.

Please dont go Karen, my friend.

If you think General Discussions needs content and People writing there, it would be a good idea to go there and contribute to keeping it alive.

I see a lot of ever-lasting Discussions on here, who are in turn in 83% based on a Fact the Devs brought up.

 

On a Sidenote: You do realize that you do the very thing you critized in the first place right now?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you guys considered trying to implement "dumb" filler zombie spawns? Basically enemies that have more basic AI and internal mechanics that make them viable to spawn in larger numbers to fill out the world.

I was browsing mods for Rimworld, a game that starts to chug even with just a few dozen colonists/creatures in play, and somebody made a mod called Zombieland that uses very simplified bare-bones entities that can be spawned in the hundreds with little performance impact. Wondered if something similar could be done for 7 days for those who want the zombies to have more of a presence in the day-to-day play.

 

Could be like desecrated zombies whose bodies are barely functional anymore. Low health, little to no xp value, basic pathing to approach the player and attack when in range, weak senses make them easy to stealth past and aren't too much of a nuisance to bases. Could give the game a whole new feel between horde nights and POI looting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, this is the only thread that the devs read on a consistent basis. It's only natural people voice their concerns here. General Discussion isn't dead to be fair, but since no-one from the dev team ever chimes in to speak about future plans or even state they are aware of a problem, it's mostly people arguing until one of them quits. 

 

If you only want to read the answers of the team members, then you should probably check their profiles every now and then. I used to use the dev tracker on 7d2d.rocks but it broke and never got updated ever since the forums changed. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, beHypE said:

The thing is, this is the only thread that the devs read on a consistent basis. It's only natural people voice their concerns here. General Discussion isn't dead to be fair, but since no-one from the dev team ever chimes in to speak about future plans or even state they are aware of a problem, it's mostly people arguing until one of them quits. 

 

If you only want to read the answers of the team members, then you should probably check their profiles every now and then. I used to use the dev tracker on 7d2d.rocks but it broke and never got updated ever since the forums changed. 

Some of the other Devs reply in other threads.  Just some devs more then others.. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dethar said:

So they should just remove all other threads, because General discussion and Pimp Dreams aren't needed anymore. 

 

No one follows rules anymore, guess its just fact of life now.

not really.

 

general discussion is where you talk about "Almost" everything for 7DTD. the Pimp dreams is for ideas, the dev diary is to talk about (said alpha), and like everything, people go off topic, alot of people are guilty to that! (me especially). 

 

where else are people suppose to put art? or Videos, or you're opinion on why Sham is tasty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

1.  Higher quality stone tools/weapons are very valuable to those who do not have the skills to craft them yet.  My pure agility run was very happy to get higher levels of stone axe and shovel.  I don't just have a desire to scavenge and hit those safes, they give me important upgrades as well as.... 
 

Not to mention you can't craft purple stone tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the whole Archaeology system the tools/crafting is based on..

 

I probably missed the boat when this was discussed but usually after Stone, we got Bronze then Iron...

 

How come we seem to have missed the Bronze age with regards tools etc ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

I love the whole Archaeology system the tools/crafting is based on..

 

I probably missed the boat when this was discussed but usually after Stone, we got Bronze then Iron...

 

How come we seem to have missed the Bronze age with regards tools etc ?

Because the Pimps have not added copper and tin to the game yet in order to make bronze?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vintorez said:

Have you guys considered trying to implement "dumb" filler zombie spawns? Basically enemies that have more basic AI and internal mechanics that make them viable to spawn in larger numbers to fill out the world.

I was browsing mods for Rimworld, a game that starts to chug even with just a few dozen colonists/creatures in play, and somebody made a mod called Zombieland that uses very simplified bare-bones entities that can be spawned in the hundreds with little performance impact. Wondered if something similar could be done for 7 days for those who want the zombies to have more of a presence in the day-to-day play.

 

Could be like desecrated zombies whose bodies are barely functional anymore. Low health, little to no xp value, basic pathing to approach the player and attack when in range, weak senses make them easy to stealth past and aren't too much of a nuisance to bases. Could give the game a whole new feel between horde nights and POI looting.

We have talked about it, but what we really need to do is just optimize what is there.
 

17 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

I love the whole Archaeology system the tools/crafting is based on..

 

I probably missed the boat when this was discussed but usually after Stone, we got Bronze then Iron...

 

How come we seem to have missed the Bronze age with regards tools etc ?

Because tech 1 iron is cooler than tech 0.5 bronze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Because the Pimps have not added copper and tin to the game yet in order to make bronze?

Copper actually used to be in. But thats my question, why did such get missed out and for us to go straight to Iron ?

 

 

16 minutes ago, madmole said:

Because tech 1 iron is cooler than tech 0.5 bronze.

 

Yeah I see what you mean, but with your A19 direction change it would have added that needed variety to early tools, so its not all stone stone stone stone...

 

Then Iron as it is now comes in later down the line with Steel very later following.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...