madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

1 minute ago, sillls said:

Why are there so many Dire wolves? They seem all over the place and fighting them is like trying to fight a tank. 

The fight is quite dire. (pun intended!) 😆

The trick is hitting them right between their glowing eyes with a wrench. x10 critical hit damage

14 hours ago, MrsDevimon said:

Hey everybody,

I'm playing 7DTD with my husband (started on xbox and last year bought Pcs to play the newer Alphas), and while he is killing and looting most of the time to bring us nice shiny things, I am the one harvesting, cultivating and building.

I wanted to suggest to add the feature to breed little animals, like bunnys and chickens. Would be a lot of fun. 

We are really excited heraing about that bandit/raider thing. We always said, that there should be some kind of AI using range weapons.

Thanks for that amazing game!

There are mods/additional parts to the game not developed by The Fun Pimps that allow such things. The base game (whilst I agree would be awesome with some of these features) is not designed for that. As a fellow cultivator/gardener/cook/gatherer kind of player (my partner too is the killer/protector type) I wanted to let you know that mods like this do exist, but probably won't ever make it into the 'core' gameplay of vanilla - it is just the reality of the situation.

But, don't feel too disheartened - like I said there are a swathe of uber talented/dedicated members of this community who take some of these crazy ideas and put the code in to facilitate it. Once you are comfortable with the mechanics of the base game, I recommend you try some of the mods to satisfy your curiosity. ^_^

Posted (edited)

Yeah, combat is better.  Melee now appears viable in some of my laggy multiplayer sessions. 

Perk system is pretty good. 

Some perks could use some help, like pack mule heh...  maybe a buff that helps it counteract its obsolescence, like an armor buff or something for every pocket mod slot you have over your cap?  Or something to do with wearing non-armor armor slot items like boots and running shoes that can not have pocket slots. 

EDIT: Honestly, just having enough useful armor mods to where you could slot good buffs in the place of a pocket mods would be the easiest fix heh. 

Edited by pregnable
being cool (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, pregnable said:

Yeah, combat is better.  Melee now appears viable in some of my laggy multiplayer sessions. 

Perk system is pretty good. 

Some perks could use some help, like pack mule heh...  maybe a buff that helps it counteract its obsolescence, like an armor buff or something for every pocket mod slot you have over your cap?  Or something to do with wearing non-armor armor slot items like boots and running shoes that can not have pocket slots. 

Actually I was thinking that Pack Mule should also teach you the better Pocket Mods, it makes sense to me...

21 hours ago, Ralathar44 said:

Because I didn't spec into tool crafting and so getting t6 quality stone tools is actually super valuable to me.  Same to people who didn't spec into weapon skills.  Not everyone plays the same way, sometimes there will be loot that is super useful to other folks that may not be very useful to you and stone tools/weapons definitely fall into that category.

On my current agility run I went pure agility to test the new hunger levels and loot and etc.  Finding high quality stone tool was a big deal and my T6 stone axe only got replaced on day 30ish.  You know why I still went out and looted?  Recipes, materials, dukes, books, etc.  I was still making significant progression in every other area of the game and the moment I found a forge recipe I was able to make my hunting knife.  Blunderbuss and melee choke points for knifing got me through early horde nights without issue.

I honestly don't see a problem with the current design. And in fact as someone who didn't spec into miner69er and motherload scavenging constantly was an important source of resources that didn't rely on my mining skills that I don't have.  Chairs are a steady source of wood, pallets are a steady source of cobblestones/cement/stone, and the things I scrap or smelt are a steady supply of metals I'd otherwise need to mine alot of.  I've gotten a ton of nitrate from rotting bodies in houses and carcasses on the road.  I made it to day 34 so far without ever needing to do dedicated mining for metals.  I carved a path through the mountain to make my trips to the trader much faster, but even then I got almost all of my stone/cobblestone/cement from POIs and the trader.  Clay is the only thing I've had to mine myself so far.

My last game was basically the same. Played to about day 25 with most points in agility. Using q6 stone axe and shovel just fine. Each new quality level was an upgrade I was happy to get and put more and more mods into them as they got more slots. When the q1 iron stuff started dropping I trashed them. My stone q6s with mods were better.

• Like 2

Debating now whether to start a brand new world, or wait until the next patch where the animal spawns will hopefully be under control again...

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

both! 

and they work!

this is why

Hide contents

Broke Guy With Empty Wallet Stock Photo - Image of expensive ...

Maybe give up half of your forum time to put in 30 hours a week somewhere? Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Knuckle Rub 3

33 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Debating now whether to start a brand new world, or wait until the next patch where the animal spawns will hopefully be under control again...

valid thoughts, though who knows how long it could take for the next patch to drop

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Maybe give up half of your forum time to put in 30 hours a week somewhere? Just a thought.

Start working as soon as you can, I say. Builds character, and gives you experience in the working world.

5 hours ago, sillls said:

If you could have any handgun added to the game, what would it be and why? 

FNX-45. 

Ec6Y-WLWoAE8XYI?format=jpg&name=small

Guys check this out!

German wheel-lock grenade launcher circa 1615

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Yea it's intended and I for one am not a fan. Now granted I always travel with lockpicks but if I did a treasure and then had to bust that thing open with a stone axe I'd be pissed.

A treasure with 7000 HP giving you 6000 dukes. Seems an excellent deal to me even with a stone axe. Try finding a 2500 HP safe with a content that gives 2000 dukes in the first days

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Actually I was thinking that Pack Mule should also teach you the better Pocket Mods, it makes sense to me...

But pockets make it so you don't need pack mule.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

My last game was basically the same. Played to about day 25 with most points in agility. Using q6 stone axe and shovel just fine. Each new quality level was an upgrade I was happy to get and put more and more mods into them as they got more slots. When the q1 iron stuff started dropping I trashed them. My stone q6s with mods were better.

Yeah I just found a q6 stone shovel that does more damage than my T3 iron shovel I just crafted so I'll sell it and have more mod slots.

1 hour ago, Bird Nerd said:

Start working as soon as you can, I say. Builds character, and gives you experience in the working world.

And cash for STUFF! Yep, I was shoveling sidewalks, de-tasseling corn, cutting shatter cane, running paper routes, etc etc back when I was growing up.

34 minutes ago, madmole said:

Yep, I was shoveling sidewalks, de-tasseling corn, cutting shatter cane, running paper routes, etc etc back when I was growing up.

I watched pron. 

• Haha 1

@madmole When the game is finished, how special do you want the player to feel compared to the other inhabitants of Navezgane?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

How far can you go?

like add new abiltys?

image.jpeg.1260d010f1364941595b838151b08c4e.jpeg

Abilities... I hope this doesn't go that direction 😰
Feels like every game with abilities is pretty heavily immersion breaking. I enjoy immersing myself in 7D2D.

Does wasteland still give bonus exp to play in?

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, meganoth said:

A treasure with 7000 HP giving you 6000 dukes. Seems an excellent deal to me even with a stone axe. Try finding a 2500 HP safe with a content that gives 2000 dukes in the first days

2 tmaps in my inventory and one jail breaker candy...think i can dig up both with one candy active?  Day 3 no vehicles yet... 😅

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

2 hours ago, madmole said:

And cash for STUFF! Yep, I was shoveling sidewalks, de-tasseling corn, cutting shatter cane, running paper routes, etc etc back when I was growing up.

When you were growing up?  At your age, that would have been before the invention of sidewalks, paper, and I think corn as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dimpy said:

@madmole When the game is finished, how special do you want the player to feel compared to the other inhabitants of Navezgane?

Can you reframe the question?

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I kill about 2-3 chickens a day and get by on that. On day 8 I found my first doe.

I'd wait.

• Thanks 1

Did @faatal let some ways of cheesing the game for us the players? 😂😂

Somehow to get billions of dukes maybe? 

4 minutes ago, Black Hat said:

Did @faatal let some ways of cheesing the game for us the players? 😂😂

Somehow to get billions of dukes maybe? 

Yeah...just open the secret loot chest called CM....😅

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

Can you reframe the question?

It sounds like:

Is your player just another guy that's trying to stay alive, or is he a key figure of change in the game that eventually creates the story line for the start of a part 2?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, beHypE said:

I've noticed I lose a tremendous amount of FPS when I crank up Terrain Quality. I have pretty much everything at max/ultra, but terrain quality on low, and have a beautiful game with a steady 60 FPS. If I set terrain quality to medium, I instantly drop to around 30 FPS. The difference is like night and day and quite frankly I don't even see a huge difference in quality, if any. 

Highly advise you guys to set max quality everywhere, terrain quality on low and then reduce stuff as needed. I kept tinkering with medium settings everywhere and it was just not making much of a difference at all, until I figured out the bottleneck. 

I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 5600XT on a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16gb of RAM fwiw. 

I've spent the last 3 work days looking at VRAM usage and changing entities and block entities to load on demand and block entities can unload now. VRAM use is down 1 to 3 GB depending on your settings, so I'm hoping this will help in general.

If you run out of VRAM and terrain textures end up in system RAM, then terrain can render very slow. The higher your texture filter settings, the slower it gets reading textures from system RAM.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah...just open the secret loot chest called CM....😅

I just opened the magical CM chest... It's WAY TOO OP, please nerf! 🤣🤣