Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Yea it's intended and I for one am not a fan. Now granted I always travel with lockpicks but if I did a treasure and then had to bust that thing open with a stone axe I'd be pissed.

A treasure with 7000 HP giving you 6000 dukes. Seems an excellent deal to me even with a stone axe. Try finding a 2500 HP safe with a content that gives 2000 dukes in the first days

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Actually I was thinking that Pack Mule should also teach you the better Pocket Mods, it makes sense to me...

But pockets make it so you don't need pack mule.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

My last game was basically the same. Played to about day 25 with most points in agility. Using q6 stone axe and shovel just fine. Each new quality level was an upgrade I was happy to get and put more and more mods into them as they got more slots. When the q1 iron stuff started dropping I trashed them. My stone q6s with mods were better.

Yeah I just found a q6 stone shovel that does more damage than my T3 iron shovel I just crafted so I'll sell it and have more mod slots.

1 hour ago, Bird Nerd said:

Start working as soon as you can, I say. Builds character, and gives you experience in the working world.

And cash for STUFF! Yep, I was shoveling sidewalks, de-tasseling corn, cutting shatter cane, running paper routes, etc etc back when I was growing up.

5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

How far can you go?

like add new abiltys?

image.jpeg.1260d010f1364941595b838151b08c4e.jpeg

Abilities... I hope this doesn't go that direction 😰
Feels like every game with abilities is pretty heavily immersion breaking. I enjoy immersing myself in 7D2D.

Does wasteland still give bonus exp to play in?

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

A treasure with 7000 HP giving you 6000 dukes. Seems an excellent deal to me even with a stone axe. Try finding a 2500 HP safe with a content that gives 2000 dukes in the first days

2 tmaps in my inventory and one jail breaker candy...think i can dig up both with one candy active?  Day 3 no vehicles yet... 😅

2 hours ago, madmole said:

And cash for STUFF! Yep, I was shoveling sidewalks, de-tasseling corn, cutting shatter cane, running paper routes, etc etc back when I was growing up.

When you were growing up?  At your age, that would have been before the invention of sidewalks, paper, and I think corn as well.

1 hour ago, Dimpy said:

@madmole When the game is finished, how special do you want the player to feel compared to the other inhabitants of Navezgane?

Can you reframe the question?

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Debating now whether to start a brand new world, or wait until the next patch where the animal spawns will hopefully be under control again...

I kill about 2-3 chickens a day and get by on that. On day 8 I found my first doe.

I'd wait.

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

Can you reframe the question?

It sounds like:

Is your player just another guy that's trying to stay alive, or is he a key figure of change in the game that eventually creates the story line for the start of a part 2?

15 hours ago, beHypE said:

I've noticed I lose a tremendous amount of FPS when I crank up Terrain Quality. I have pretty much everything at max/ultra, but terrain quality on low, and have a beautiful game with a steady 60 FPS. If I set terrain quality to medium, I instantly drop to around 30 FPS. The difference is like night and day and quite frankly I don't even see a huge difference in quality, if any. 

Highly advise you guys to set max quality everywhere, terrain quality on low and then reduce stuff as needed. I kept tinkering with medium settings everywhere and it was just not making much of a difference at all, until I figured out the bottleneck. 

I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 5600XT on a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16gb of RAM fwiw. 

I've spent the last 3 work days looking at VRAM usage and changing entities and block entities to load on demand and block entities can unload now. VRAM use is down 1 to 3 GB depending on your settings, so I'm hoping this will help in general.

If you run out of VRAM and terrain textures end up in system RAM, then terrain can render very slow. The higher your texture filter settings, the slower it gets reading textures from system RAM.

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

I've spent the last 3 work days looking at VRAM usage and changing entities and block entities to load on demand and block entities can unload now. VRAM use is down 1 to 3 GB depending on your settings, so I'm hoping this will help in general.

If you run out of VRAM and terrain textures end up in system RAM, then terrain can render very slow. The higher your texture filter settings, the slower it gets reading textures from system RAM.

That should help a lot, thank you ! 

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

This sounds promising...do you think this will help those people with the issue where the distant POI meshes are not unloading when the player gets close?

1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

This sounds promising...do you think this will help those people with the issue where the distant POI meshes are not unloading when the player gets close?

No. This just effects entities (animals, zombies, traders) and block entities (the 900+ blocks that use their own model like trees).

1 hour ago, faatal said:

My fps is stable again, no more dips after playing a while, great work!

14 hours ago, madmole said:

I never once questioned the best rpgs of all time when looting. I diablo I got what I got. Same in Skyrim, Fallout, etc. I opened up a loot container and got something a little better and I was happy about it. You just aren't used to it. Once we get pipe guns and a bit more supplies to craft your own things it might feel less repetitive which I think is the larger problem.

We will have game staged increases in the harder biomes you can go there to get non primitive loot early game but it will be a lot harder.

Its fine mate. These complainers are just upset that you can't power loot anymore. Im loving earning items.

5 hours ago, madmole said:
7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Actually I was thinking that Pack Mule should also teach you the better Pocket Mods, it makes sense to me...

But pockets make it so you don't need pack mule.

Yeah, I was thinking that the "new" Pack Mule won't give you additional slots anymore, but will give you a fixed bonus (per level) on how "deep" the pockets you craft are.

So for example, something like this:

• At Lvl1 you get the Single Pocket for clothing mod (so you won't get this mod from the start anymore)
  • At Lvl2 you get the Single Pocket for armor mod + the Double Pocket for clothing mod AND a +1 bonus slot for each pocket
  • At Lvl3 you get the Double Pocket for armor mod AND a +2 bonus slot for each pocket you have
  • At Lvl4 you learn to craft the Bandolier mod AND a +3 bonus for all your pockets

This way the "value" of the pockets you craft will grow alongside your Pack Mule skill and make it more useful IMO.

It's the same concept you already use for Weapon perks actually, where you get both a bonus AND the crafting recipes with the perk.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived