Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

5 minutes ago, sillls said:

Really? From the .22 to the howitzer to the battleship cannon is referred to as a gun.  

yes!

if it goes boom and shoots something its gun!

it could be a Pipe with a Dart with blackpowder in it! its a Gun.

JK i know some guns are better, im not that dumb.... i think!

Sledgehammer needs some love. All melee weapons and guns have their books with buffs, only sledge doesnt have any.

As a main sledge player I feel offended:rain:  Give us more affection, don’t hate us 🙂

14 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Something like this: 

Reveal hidden contents

aka how to get you're hand blown off!

4 minutes ago, rivle said:

Sledgehammer needs some love. All melee weapons and guns have their books with buffs, only sledge doesnt have any.

As a main sledge player I feel offended:rain:  Give us more affection, don’t hate us 🙂

And Knifes, and Explosives 

1 minute ago, rivle said:

yes, at least explosives have their own candy

well same for melee weapons, Skull crushers

Spoiler

maybe explosives/ could teach you how to protect you're self from Damage, new explosives, RPG, Incendiary Rockets and grenade shells, better skills with a Grenade launcher (if they add one), Military landmines, FLAME THROWER! and other fun stuff!   the book could be called "Doms Guide to Demolition" or "Explosives for dumb@%$*#!s" (as a little call back to the old minibike book)

Spoiler

the one for hammers could be "Maul Monthly" 

1 adds extra damage to Hammer to both enemies and blocks , 2 AP DESTROYER the Slegh Spike mod!, 3 learn to craft a steel hammer,  4if you power attack the ground you deal a AOE damage!,5 Degrades slower ,  6 if you get a kill you gain a % that will make you go into a rage!,  7 Wearing a Working helmet gives you a boost!. and the collectors is the heavier you are in terms of wight and armor the more damage you deal!

Spoiler

knifes could be. Butcher pete's Training log! or something!

1: Extra damage, able to craft a machete, able to Craft Dart Blade mod that will Go through armor!, degrade slower, a Chain attack where the more you hit you get faster and a little extra damage maxs out on 30%, Axe Berserk mod allows you to do more Raw damage but less block damage, with a Axe and will Class it as a "Bladed weapon" so you're perks help with it, Bleeding will slow down Enemies, and the bonus would be the lighter you are in terms of wight and armor, the more damage you do!

6 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Reveal hidden contents

the one for hammers could be "Maul Monthly" 

1 adds extra damage to Hammer to both enemies and blocks , 2 AP DESTROYER the Slegh Spike mod!, 3 learn to craft a steel hammer,  4if you power attack the ground you deal a AOE damage!,5 Degrades slower ,  6 if you get a kill you gain a % that will make you go into a rage!,  7 Wearing a Working helmet gives you a boost!. and the collectors is the heavier you are in terms of wight and armor the more damage you deal!

Why not "J. H. Monthly"?

On 7/12/2020 at 4:15 PM, Khalagar said:

That's intended, an extremely well made carved stone axe made by a master craftsman very well might be better than a crappy Chinesium axe where the head flies off every time you swing it

I can understand a level 6 stone axe being better than a level 1 iron axe, but I'm at level 43 and just looted level 2 military armor legs that are worse than the level 6 padded legs I looted in my 20s. The only advantage the military legs have is +1% crit resist and durability, the armor stats are the same and the padded doesn't have any noise or mobility disadvantages.

And I have a level 6 wrench that's better than a level 4 impact wrench, similar to your own situation, it's a common theme I'm noticing.

5 hours ago, madmole said:

There are just too many schematics to change the weight of

Take some of them out 😎

No really, I still say there shouldn't be Schematics for everything it makes the perks less valuable and it's  what causes these non stop "crafting vs looting" and "here's a list of 19 perks that are objectively not worth picking" debates.  You can see it in the sheer amount of people in this thread and on every forum who think the vehicle perk and master chef or even the inventor perk etc are not worth putting more than 1 or *maybe* 2 points into early game and then respecing out of later when you have all the schematics because all of their "other benefits" are still bad.  Even in this thread, every time food comes up, people say they would never invest in any of the gardening or chef perks, and that's because they would rather just live off what they find until they get a schematic. Perk points are too valuable to waste on something you can just find instead

Not a single crafting perk stands on it's own as being worth a perk point when you have the schematics, not one. I say that as someone who still picks them anyway because I *want* them to be good. Who cares about 20% faster forge speeds when . . .you can just build a second forge and get 100% faster speeds instead. 20% cheaper resources means nothing late game when you have a box with 4,000 bones / super corn and 40,000 iron you can make steel with if you need. By like day 20 max, I had 3 forges, 2 campfires, and 3 cement mixers going. Bonuses to speed mean nothing in a game where you can just build a second workbench and double efficiency

A book to make basic stuff like grilled meat, a forge, a bicycle etc are one thing, but if you can just find a book / the item itself and make crucibles and electricity and high end food etc, the perks are just a "last resort" at best. Like you said about perks being "The easy way out". Instead of being worth picking, they are just "You only pick these if your RNG sucks and then you respec later" which is just bad design

B-b-b-b-but how will Run and Gun Only CoD Boye™ craft end game gear without getting all of the perks for free in the form of a book???????!!!!!!!!

They don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let them loot the items, get them from a trader, or, y'know, invest in the perks like everyone else. I get it, the run and gun players are what you guys focus completely on, but it's just lame that a guy without a single point in crafting, not one, can build the exact same thing as someone who spent every single point on Crafting stuff.

3 hours ago, pregnable said:

Not only that, but I tested my melee horde base again

Spears are definitely not great, but melee horde base would be kind of doable so long as you max out Junk Sledges. I've been testing Junk Sledge more and you can do something like I did for the front door of my base.

Spoiler

8dv2q2o.jpg

0yAmFO6.jpg

6LuCAvM.jpg

I built a Day 49 horde base to test out the theory above taken to the extreme, and it worked okay. Basically just made a 1 block wide hallway with 3 block thick concrete walls with blocks openings in the roof so I could throw explosives down on clusters, and put a bunch of junk sleges outside the front while I  blocked the hallway entrance with a top and bottom hatch spaced so there is a window to fire through. I made it like 6 blocks tall so they couldn't pyramid on top of it, then at the end of the hallway I had a ladder up to a 10 or so block tall tower I stood on top of it as needed.

Here are the post day 49 horde results

Spoiler

L5m9gKl.jpg

All turrets shown are mine, my duo didn't place a single one to help. In fact, I don't think he did anything to help besides scream about birds a lot =_=

I placed so many because they break during the horde so you need backups, but only 2 were active at a time. It worked okay, they broke two levels of vault hatch barricades and probably 10-20 total concrete blocks, but 99% of that was stupid exploding zombies and their stupid c4 being triggered by everything under the sun. Those would be enemy #1 for any melee horde base, because they are enemy #1 for every base no matter what. You have to build your entire base design around them which is why so many people hate them

Of course, I didn't use melee myself because I'm not suicidal, so I just stood there and threw around 70 pipe bombs and 10 molotovs, because explosives  are OP AF.

Pop Atom Junkie, Pop learning elixir,  spend pocket change resources on a stack of 100 pipe bombs, never engage in melee and don't waste all your bullets = Profit

You could do the above, use a skull crusher, painkiller, moonshine, health bar etc, and stand in the door and swing your melee weapon, and it would do okayish depending on your difficulty. I play on the second hardest difficulty with 24 or 32 zombies alive, so melee would be pretty hard "Lolno" territory though, even with a Sledge which at least has AoE

2 hours ago, rivle said:

Yeah, it would be nice to see each weapon type get it's own focused line of magazines, but to be fair, the Sledgehammer has been the inarguable best melee weapon in the game for like 4+ alpha at least lol. I generally use the Axe over it, and some might want a club over it for stamina, but if you have sex rex and want the weapon that lets you dive face first into a horde with some small chance of surviving, the Sledge is your best option by far.

I still really think we need a perk line that grants health on kill with melee, that alone would make melee builds actually sort of feasible late game.

3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

does anyone get a Error when trying to mod out you're junk hammer?

Hide contents

i hate to ask this stuff so much!

im the kinda of person who does not want to bug anyone, Sorry :(

Which mod?

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

any mod!

i am able to upgrade my level 1 but not my Level 4!

it shows the box with Red text!

it says
"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Submit a bug in the A19 bug forum.  Sounds like something broke.

Archived