Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

@madmole Topic aside. Are the level designers considering making gigantic "1 time spawn" structures (ex: airports, mall + cinema rooms, military airfield, hypermarkets, big warehouses)? I truly believe the game would take an insane leap with it's immersion with these "common" places, that make the player feel like a tiny ant in a ravaged world. 

Seeing a real scale mall, overgrown, looted, stores shut down with metal grates, decrypt, missing/flickering lights, filled to the brim with zombies that can come from anywhere would make up for such an interesting expedition, especially with the new lighting system. Just imagine the main area of the mall, multiple floors, with the giant skylight window letting the moonlight in, zombies wandering, some hiding behind closed stores, and being able to search through the very guts of the mall (that we aren't allowed access in real-life) is just great to think about.

Though i'm not sure how that would be possible to add without mauling everyone's FPS.

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

Raiders killed everyone, took what they could and left. Not sure why that is hard to immerse yourself into.

Sliders add replay value.

Opinion all you want, we aren't removing the primitive stage. We will be adding pipe rifles so it isn't just bows and blunderbusses and it might make more sense when bandits are seen. This is just a first draft, maybe we will shorten it or mix in a low chance to get better stuff so it isn't always primitive. I level so fast it doesn't matter to me, it is a short distraction.

The harder biomes in the future will have higher GS and higher loot stage, so if you don't want to wait you can go there and try to get better stuff.

Well ok you bested me. And they did not put a bullet through their head because they resisted.

As I see it with primitive parts if you really want to keep it, then dont try to shorten it but instead make it better. It has aspects I like. It feels imho exactly as it should. You are out of your element, thrust into inhospitable world. Stuff is scarce. Doing things takes effort. Imho if it would not be stone age but instead scrap age It would solve most of the problems with immersion. You jury rig a shovel from a street sign, spear from knife and broom handle, sledghammer from rebar and concrete, simple pistol from pipe and some wood etc. As bonus even if you find this (S)crap inside loot you can at least smelt it. Or sell it for few caps... I mean dukes. 

3 hours ago, madmole said:

What are the ugly terrain blobs for? What is supporting your auto turret platforms, the terrain?

The ugly terrain blobs (dirt blocks) are merely cheap placeholders for upcoming structures, plus the zeds dont really prioritize them so its limiting a side that they attack - at least thats how it appears.. The auto turrets are held up with "plates", one facing the ground and the plate above that is facing the opposite direction (creates a field that you can walk within - zeds still target the plates, just not as much). My team punished me for going to sleep on them early yesterday, when i woke they left me with D84 horde nite. The demolishers definitely punished some of my decisions lol. 908 total credited kills -horde nite alone - though! (HD is still processing).

Spoiler

I do think it would be more thematic if the primitive tier was rebranded as the scrap tier. A bent Yield street sign for a shovel, a shard of glass wrapped in cloth handle instead of a bone knife, I think it would be harder to try to make a shovel with a rock than anything else available in a post-apocalypse setting

49 minutes ago, madmole said:

Raiders killed everyone, took what they could and left. Not sure why that is hard to immerse yourself into.

Sliders add replay value.

Opinion all you want, we aren't removing the primitive stage. We will be adding pipe rifles so it isn't just bows and blunderbusses and it might make more sense when bandits are seen. This is just a first draft, maybe we will shorten it or mix in a low chance to get better stuff so it isn't always primitive. I level so fast it doesn't matter to me, it is a short distraction.

The harder biomes in the future will have higher GS and higher loot stage, so if you don't want to wait you can go there and try to get better stuff.

Excuse me but what are pipe rifles? 

7 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have noticed that you can't eat / drink more than your max anymore. If I have 100 / 122 food for example and eat something with +30 food, do the 8 food that are "too much" still get used somehow or are they lost?

You can still "load up" while your bars are filling.  On the left there is a countdown timer that shows when your bar stops filling.  If you get to full Food or Water prior to the respective counter reaching zero that counter will pause until your next point of hunger or thirst registers and it will tick down by one.

Its most notable when you are standing still and not in adverse weather (basically using the least amount of Food or Water possible).

So basically just spam food or drink to get the counter higher than you need and you still have your buffer.

5 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have noticed that you can't eat / drink more than your max anymore. If I have 100 / 122 food for example and eat something with +30 food, do the 8 food that are "too much" still get used somehow or are they lost?

the overage is still there - if you look at your buffs in the left corner you will see a number that slowly counts down. looking in the stats window you get the description of 'Digesting'

1 minute ago, sillls said:

Muskets.

The blunderbuss is a shotgun style weapon. Musket will be a rifle and there might be a flint lock pistol added as well.

6 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i mean Madmole didn't say it was a musket! but i hope so!

Joel likes fallout (i believe i saw him say that he was playing fallout 4 a few months or year ago) so i'm pretty sure they will be similar to the ones in fallout 4. Which honestly I don't mind, if TFP makes them better and more useful lmao.

21 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Joel likes fallout (i believe i saw him say that he was playing fallout 4 a few months or year ago) so i'm pretty sure they will be similar to the ones in fallout 4. Which honestly I don't mind, if TFP makes them better and more useful lmao.

hope so too!

maybe it could uses normal bullets or "Makeshift ammo" basically that ammo is what the blunderbuss uses and could be a general term of ammo, basicly its cheap, easy to make, Unsafe, but it works! 

the Blunderbuss could stay the same but could look more makeshift!

im drawling some stuff right now!   

Edit: NM i gave up!

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Maybe we will shorten it or mix in a low chance to get better stuff so it isn't always primitive.

This is it. The thing is, it's kind of frustrating to know that you're only gonna get stone crap in every loot box. Why even loot it during the first days then? It would be so easy to add a chance to get something else. Even if it's a small chance, it's still a chance, so it's not so predictible and downer to loot POIs early on.

Heck, I'd rather get some iron ingots instead of two useless stone shovels in every Working Stiff's box.

21 minutes ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

the overage is still there - if you look at your buffs in the left corner you will see a number that slowly counts down. looking in the stats window you get the description of 'Digesting'

Muskets.

The blunderbuss is a shotgun style weapon. Musket will be a rifle and there might be a flint lock pistol added as well.

Thanks.  It would be great to see real muskets in the game to and not just these pipe rifles. 

So since I had sexrex maxed and extra points in my multiplayer game, I decided to try my spear throwing build. 

With 5 points in perception, a tier 4 spear and 3 in the spear skill I still can not 1 shot a basic Zed with a throw headshot on nomad.  I hate it.  I hate it so much lol. 

Not only that, but I tested my melee horde base again.  You can use spear melee if your base is only like 3 high... although you can tweak it to make it better with plates or smallish ramp type things around your base.  You melee down at the horde from the top of your base which is relatively safe other than the dangers of having your base only 3 high. 

It was not very good though.  I had a pretty good steel spear and it was just not very fast or fun.  I ended up mostly shooting my blunderbuss.  I will test it a little more though... if I used blocks higher than plates around my base my range might have been better. 

I want to like spears, but so far I just hate them.  The throw is wonky, pickup can be wonky and you pretty much need to go sexrex before you can start throwing them, making specializing in spear throwing a somewhat later game luxury.  Then just do not seem to get much better than how they are at the start of the game with no points in them, heh. 

Maybe an improved melee horde base will make me like them, before I respec lel.

So a musket is a gun that has a pipe for a barrel and a pipe rifle is a gun that has a pipe for a barrel.

Neither of them has an actual rifled barrel so "pipe gun" would probably be more accurate, otherwise a pipe rifle would just be a rifle.

25 minutes ago, sillls said:

Improvised rifles made from basic materials like metal waterpipe, wood boards, bed springs, tacks, nails, etc. Fallout 4 is an okay visual reference with their bottom tier weapons though some of the mods for that game do it allot better.

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

So a musket is a gun that has a pipe for a barrel and a pipe rifle is a gun that has a pipe for a barrel.

Neither of them has an actual rifled barrel so "pipe gun" would probably be more accurate, otherwise a pipe rifle would just be a rifle.

Depends on if you etch, cut, or shape the bore of the pipe (or pipes in the case of using pipes that have been sleeved into each other, helps with handling barrel/chamber pressure) in a spiral or not. Could always hammer the pipe around a sturdy hex nut in a twisting pattern for crude rifling (probably not the best idea, mess up the twist and you've turned it into a Darwin bomb) or run a coarse threaded hardened screw down a heated bore.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Its one perk point. You should probably buy it if it feels like it is that important to you. There are just too many schematics to change the weight of that to be common enough that you will ever find it by the time you "feel" like you should have found it. Then you'll be wiping your butt with them like before. It is so vital to my play style I have no problem buying it. I have no problem buying some mining, some cooking, and some int stuff every single game. I jack of trades as needed to suit my build. Its like guys who want to be a good fighter need to do some strength and conditioning training. It is just part of the game. To me the schematics are great but if you can't find one the perk is there for the easy way out. Remember the minibike book frustration, forge ahead? Buy it if you can't find one.

The more I see, feel and caress the game, the more I realize that those perk gates that you were talking about in the streams aren't really needed because you guys have quite a big number of ways to balance the perks' results/outcomes without ever touching them (through loot, player actions, spawns, diseases... etc). That is a solid organic design that I don't see much in other titles. I would offer my congratulations, even if somehow in your opinion the perk system needs the fewest of tweaks.

8 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

The more I see, feel and caress the game, the more I realize that those perk gates that you were talking about in the streams aren't really needed because you guys have quite a big number of ways to balance the perks' results/outcomes without ever touching them (through loot, player actions, spawns, diseases... etc). That is a solid organic design that I don't see much in other titles. I would offer my congratulations, even if somehow in your opinion the perk system needs the fewest of tweaks.

Snowdog has gotten to you too I see....apparently hes like an STD....😂

Archived