madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Yeah it certainly was not the most practical thing. I'm surprised they actually built it, albeit looks like little more than a rough proof-of-concept slapped together by modifying a Sikorsky.

Was getting ready to argue about who made the design but I decided to go back and double check. We're both right. :D Westland licensed the Sikorsky design and produced it under the name of Whirlwind. 

11 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Could probably access them from the side or something, having an actual interior may be difficult to pull of for a vehicle, dunno, fun to think about though.

Hmm, pop out style? That'd be interesting. What size of RV we talking about anyways? They range from the size of a small pickup to the size of a semi-truck.

There is also having a portable module for a Skycrane/Tarhe to lug around. :D 

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Bacon and Eggs should get schematics, but the higher tier foods should be perk only, so there's more reason to actually pick the perks

That takes us back to A17 where everything was perk only. Maybe it would be okay if limited to food but the game gets pretty boring when everything is unlocked by perks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roland said:

That takes us back to A17 where everything was perk only. Maybe it would be okay if limited to food but the game gets pretty boring when everything is unlocked by perks. 

I don't know.  If you take my wife's opinion of my culinary skills, a boiled water schematic and three or four perks might be necessary.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

like I said, it was the dire wolf. and yeah I see zombies attacking. but not the dire wolf attacking.

also, they said something about writable storage? how is that done. I don't see the option.

here you go.
QA Tester-unholyjoe

A19.0_2020-07-13_07-23-09.jpg

A19.0_2020-07-13_07-24-57.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I don't know.  If you take my wife's opinion of my culinary skills, a boiled water schematic and three or four perks might be necessary.

The one from 7dtd works IRL, just don't put the campfire inside. Gets smokey mate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beerfly said:

The one from 7dtd works IRL, just don't put the campfire inside. Gets smokey mate.

Cowled box fan in wall pulling the smoke outside. Heck, the blower from a swamp cooler would work if set up right. :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

You may have gotten that impression because stone tools don't have random stats (they never had AFAIK). In XML there still is the random range of plus/minus 15%.

Speaking about it got at least missinformation out of my head i would hav e carried for who know how long ....

Stone tools would be super easy to spam craft until you get a "good roll". That would be the dumbest design ever.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, faatal said:

It already is an entity. It already has position checks that fix it when it falls off the world. I can toss one underground and it teleports above ground just fine and repeats with random xz jitter and height over and over if needed. That is not the issue. All of the destruction cases are logged. My guess is they are not reloading somehow when their chunk loads.

Oof. I see. That's a harder nail to chew. Seems as easy to solve as the square Vram artifacts that appear when I create a new game, play an 8k or explore too much in a 4k map, but with no restart workaround this time.

Uploading the bag info to all the players minus the sprite upon death and reloading the chunk for all the absent/reentering players  isn't guaranteed to solve it either, but last time it happened to me we were away from the chunk as we both died. Then came back, my partner saw the bag sprite and I of course couldn't. He "god moded" and nothing. Anyhow, this issue is RARE as ballz. 

I'm confident that deleting all on death will result in a lot of positive feedback from the players (...runs away laughing hysterically...)

But I think I have a bit of feedback for you regarding recent fixes and some other "new" annoying stuff that might be real easy to tweak, @faatal 

-ZDs still die standing. Now it is EXTREMELY rare though, and it happened to me as an admin with the hanging-eyeball woman. I would say, if before it was a 10% , now it is a 0.001%. 1 in 1000 zds is kinda guaranteed to happen if you use high damage weapons and fight huge numbers. To try and repro it, spawn 1000 ordinary Zds in sets of 100 and kill them with, say, a fully modded tactical assault rifle. I could recommend you test with a partner and both of you try the massacre simultaneously, but somehow I think clients are fixed? I can't know for sure.

Animal stuff:

1.Animals bunny-hop too much in a19 . They won't stop jumping all the time. Also I'd rather see them rotate, or rotate upwards in a weird way to avoid obstacles until proper spine animations or pathing code is in place.

2.Animals need to avoid POIs when moving around the world or "fleeing from the player". They get stuck or delayed or glitched too much inside the POI limits, and also commonly in fences and walls. Rather than emergent gameplay that is always ugly to see and doesn't really offer much in return.

3. Bears/Grace need custom AI code in order to not glitch that much through everything, doors, walls, etc.

(I understand that change is planned an requires code, so I just casually let it drop here). It would also scare the hell out of me if they had trader REKT's voice when chasing you.

4. Ragdoll entity limbs glitch through ALL the entities on death. Looks bad, like me at 3 A.M.

A19 is awesome. I must say, I'm not in the least impressed by the new content this time, but the lightning AND the entity feedback from combat in general is amazing.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Stone tools would be super easy to spam craft until you get a "good roll". That would be the dumbest design ever.

That was Alpha 11. It even had a +/- 50 randomizer to spice it up even more. It was the dawn of spam crafting for this game. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

yeah, noticed that some animals aren't interacting with zombie like they used to. deer, rabbit and chickens still run. wolves and bears kill deer, havent seen a reg wolf near a zed yet, but dire wolves might as well be zombie pets.

Same as A18.

Does anyone else think we need a "Surprised" icon added in the reactions to posts? 🙂

Something like this: 😮

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Well, in everything you do, you get better doing it. If I make a leather belt for the first time, it will suck. If I make the 100th belt, it will be shop quality.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

also, they said something about writable storage? how is that done. I don't see the option.

You need to craft the "Storage box" then keep R pressed to select alternative shapes: the writable storage box is the second one.

After you place it keep E pressed on it and select the "write" option. You're welcome.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Does anyone else think we need a "Surprised" icon added in the reactions to posts? 🙂

Something like this: 😮

😳😱🥳🙀

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Whole "Re-wildization" is pretty cool. Even on day 10 visiting trader and there is  a bear infront of traders entrance :) Come up with a plan to pull him away and run so I can get to the trader. One of better probably non intended effects to the gameplay. I really like it when I see these beasts and making decisions of type fight or flight. In my opinion it adds to the game immersion ( I am Legend feel ) - the only downside is lots of meat ( although currently I am at boiled meat so not that OP, for other recipes you need veggies or eggs anyways ).

Hope this predators will remain in the game and not only occurring at night every 9 days or so.

Edited by Bhaaltazar (see edit history)

Just 2 quick questions:

1. Is there an approx. Date when A19 will become full released?

2. is it possible to share quests with your teammates? if yes, how? 

Posted (edited)

Is funny to see Marlene two hiting a bear ... way to go women ...

If you have a bear problem call Marlene and Arlene.

Edited by max2k (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Spreed said:

Just 2 quick questions:

1. Is there an approx. Date when A19 will become full released?

2. is it possible to share quests with your teammates? if yes, how? 

QUEST.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Captured my d77 (set to every 7 days, warrior difficulty, 24 zeds per player, max alive 100, bm zeds set to jog) horde nite. I was lvl 98 (gs 208) when i started. I'm quite confused cuz in the original video I uploaded I could hear myself and could barely hear the other player that was in discord with me, yet when i watched the processed youtube video I cant hear me but the other player is magnified (so this is somewhat of a warning lol). The fight was intense, I enjoyed every minute, even when the cops acid knocked out one of my power relays almost right off the bat. I've corrected (i think) that issue for the next horde nite. Demolishers made their presence more apparent this nite. The AI had some questionable tactics in parts. And zeds, dont care too much about "dirt" - tested against my a18 theory and it seems still a thing.

Spoiler

Posted (edited)

These animal spawns are awesome, made a new fresh build and wow, it is cruel world. Taking away a bear to 5 HP and you hear the roar of another 2, 10 blocks away is adrenaline. Couldn`t survive, but did I loved it ? Hell yeah. 

I know there should be a bit of a balance, its new good idea and we will get the best of it.

Read really good stories from you guys, can`t wait to go further.

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

7 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

like I said, it was the dire wolf. and yeah I see zombies attacking. but not the dire wolf attacking.

here you go.
QA Tester-unholyjoe

A19.0_2020-07-13_07-23-09.jpg

A19.0_2020-07-13_07-24-57.jpg

I see a lot of people not getting through these steps. Perhaps add a extra starter quest that will take people through the context menu usage as well ?

@madmole

will we ever have a Chance to Craft "blessed Metal"

Basically in time, will we be able to find or craft it in a playthrough!

it could use Silver! 

9 hours ago, faatal said:

A more flyable gyrocopter is a helicopter, which I hope to someday add to the game.

Oh faatal...

have you ever flown a plane or helicopter? Me not, too, but I've got experience flying model aircraft and helis (not drones).

I can tell you, a helicopter is much more complicated to fly than a plane (what a gyrocopter is basically, just without wings).

You can stear only 3 axes at once flying a plane, but 4 with a helicopter. Flying a heli you have to compensate every action with

the tail rotor. E.g. you want to climb you have to compensate the increasing torque with the tail rotor, same when diving (decrease).

The faster you fly the more you have to compensate with the collective pitch for the rotorblade running reverse to flight direction loses

it's aerodynamic lift. All this doesn't happen flying an airplane.

The only advantage is the VTOL capability.

• Like 1