madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

I also loved the increased enemy animal spawns.

Maybe a bit unrealistic as far as the bears go but I loved the added danger. 

It's weird tho, I haven't seen one boar since the patch.

Mountain lions, dire wolves, bears, & dogs o'plenty but no boars.....🤔

19 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

My comment was directed at it being said that it would be unrealistic for predators to be in towns and cities, which is wrong.

Bears share territory and it isn't unusual to find them "hanging" out or working together to get at something. Wolf pack territory size depends on availability of food and the number of pack members. In both cases a town or city could exist overlapping several territories...

With corona and strict stay inside orders in just a few days animals took over many areas. Like hundreds of wild monkeys in one city I saw a video on. Its not even an apocalypse and I've seen up to 20 stag walking through my yard, boatloads of geese, fox, wild turkeys, and obviously cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. I hear coyotes at night. I live on the edge of town is all.

Off topic but the coolest thing I saw was a fawn (baby deer) in my front yard, I was able to get about 8' from it, so cute. Wasn't much bigger than a small dog.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Off topic but the coolest thing I saw was a fawn (baby deer) in my front yard, I was able to get about 8' from it, so cute. Wasn't much bigger than a small dog.

the only wildlife i see is Anloes, Cuban frogs, Mice, mud dauber and squirrels, Dogs don't count!

but sounds cool! i would try to feed it, i like animals!

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

With corona and strict stay inside orders in just a few days animals took over many areas. Like hundreds of wild monkeys in one city I saw a video on. Its not even an apocalypse and I've seen up to 20 stag walking through my yard, boatloads of geese, fox, wild turkeys, and obviously cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. I hear coyotes at night. I live on the edge of town is all.

Yes, the wildlife really is coming out of the woods, irl, all over the place. I've seen tons of pics and videos over the past few months of quarantine.

Bears would flourish, wolves too, all of nature really.

Anyway, back to not the real world... on my bike ride home, again just a few blocks, I was first stopped by a bear I didn't see, swiped on me bike. Ouch, as I fought it I noticed a Z fighting a dire wolf up the street, which gave me time to take care of the other bear and the other direwolf(the Z won the fight with the first). It's ridiculous but I am having fun with it.

Again I know you'll tweak it... I am just extra eager to see Glock 9's next A19 video, his reaction should be amusing, as always. So, thank you for the temporary beast boost, the resulting videos should be hella funny.

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

I suppose I'm going off topic as well then because I've also been witnessing this temporary "reclaim" from nature happening, and it's really quite remarkable. Around where I live the neighborhood dogs and cats have all but chased off (or killed) the local finches, robins, hummingbirds, squirrels, and even crows. In recent weeks I've seen them all return in large numbers which is lovely to see. Still no bumblebees though, haven't seen those in years. 😕 Come to think of it, despite living out in the country mostly, I haven't seen foxes, deer, bears, coyotes, rabbits, or a large variety of species of birds in a long time; a lot of this is probably due to large swathes of countryside, including hiking trails, being closed off and made into private property. A real shame if you ask me.

Hiking trails have never done it for me though. I would much rather trek through natural terrain and not ugly gravel paths.

Oops, way off topic. 😛

55 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Why are 3 painkillers even a reward option for a T5 quest. . .

0lq2CvV.jpg

It's a traders inside joke...

7 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Anyway, back to not the real world... on my bike ride home, again just a few blocks, I was first stopped by a bear I didn't see, swiped on me bike. Ouch, as I fought it

I read that part of your post and my brain didn't process the first section... You would be one tough son of a bee to get swiped off your bike by the swinging paw of a bear and only react with "ouch", not to mention taking it on and hand to paw combat. 😜

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, madmole said:

I live in Austin. I always see a group of 3-6 deer wandering apartment complex. Mainly at night.

Edited by Dethar (see edit history)

On the wildlife topic, I was just out at Yellowstone a couple weeks ago shortly after it reopened. In just 3 days, multiple bear and bison attacks were reported. Now there's a 100% chance it's because people were being REALLY stupid and getting close, but the bears aren't going to run at you in game from 100 meters away either. I think the aggro distance was fine. I do like the added element of danger,  I do think the sheer number of bears, wolves & dire wolves is way too much from an available food supply perspective, unless they're eating zombies.  I'm curious to try the changes madmole has been working on, but I'm hoping the feeling of danger doesn't go away.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I've been working all weekend on this. I think I have it pretty good now. It might be even subjectively harder than it was before. So now, in an upcoming version there are a fair amount of rabbits and chickens and rare big game, but the chance respawns every day. So if you dedicate time to hunting, you can feed yourself, where before there was plenty on day 1 or so then it was dry for 3 weeks. So for MP people can hunt and get food, but you are getting a chicken here, a rabbit there. I haven't seen a stag or pig yet, but I also haven't been actively hunting, just doing quests and killing what I can in between quests.

Sorry for the rushed version you guys got. What seems good looking at what spawned flying round in the editor is completely different than playing the game for 3-4 hours.

That is being worked on.

No need for sorry, we should all be thankful because we get a new game every single year. 

About spawning. For me it will be chicken or bust. I know it sounds ridiculous but I never kill rabbits because when I was a little kid I got a rabbit as pet. So, yeah, it's a freaking game, but I just can't kill any rabbit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Also, those are AWFUL rewards for a T5 quest. AWFUL.

Yeah, I was pretty unamused lol

The Quest before, he gave me a level 6 Steel Sledge and level 6 Impact Driver, that go around nothing was even worth selling back to him besides the sniper rifle =(

Just now, Khalagar said:

Yeah, I was pretty unamused lol

The Quest before, he gave me a level 6 Steel Sledge and level 6 Impact Driver, that go around nothing was even worth selling back to him besides the sniper rifle =(

At least you weren't offered paper for all the 5 rewards. ;)

7 hours ago, insaneroy said:

So no chance of a more flyable gyrocopter.

A more flyable gyrocopter is a helicopter, which I hope to someday add to the game.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, faatal said:

A more flyable gyrocopter is a helicopter, which I hope to someday add to the game.

Now this will really piss of the "this isn't reality" people, lol. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, faatal said:

Make it so:

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-drive-cms-content-staging_message-editor%2F1594494971728-d6dy5gauuaasl63.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

B163: is it normal that bucks and zombies happily stroll together like best pals? 🤨

...and they're all equally spaced.  Social distancing?

OR:  Is the player really in a coma and in Part 2 the truth will be revealed?  A much worse fate awaits you when you wake!

• Haha 1

Just now, Aldranon said:

...and they're all equally spaced.  Social distancing?

OR:  Is the player really in a coma and in Part 2 the truth will be revealed?  A much worse fate awaits you when you wake!

yeah, noticed that some animals aren't interacting with zombie like they used to. deer, rabbit and chickens still run. wolves and bears kill deer, havent seen a reg wolf near a zed yet, but dire wolves might as well be zombie pets.

2 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

yeah, noticed that some animals aren't interacting with zombie like they used to. deer, rabbit and chickens still run. wolves and bears kill deer, havent seen a reg wolf near a zed yet, but dire wolves might as well be zombie pets.

Too bad. My favorite tactic when being chased down by a wolf was to get a zombie between me and it; worked a treat every time. ;)

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Too bad. My favorite tactic when being chased down by a wolf was to get a zombie between me and it; worked a treat every time. ;)

I think zombies vs wolves is still a thing.  I had one attack a burning zombie and the zombie won.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

I think zombies vs wolves is still a thing.  I had one attack a burning zombie and the zombie won.

Fun fact: I held some "Zombolimpics" in a creative test world one time. 50 strippers vs 50 bears... The strippers won every time, even 1v1. ;)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

I have seen a zed fighting a wolf, the zombo won, that time, I was too busy fighting multiple bears and yet another dire wolf.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Make it so:

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-drive-cms-content-staging_message-editor%2F1594494971728-d6dy5gauuaasl63.jpg

21 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Ya, it's real. Good luck fitting a couch where the PM artist drew it though. The engine is in the nose of that one with the necessary firewall right where the foot of the couch would be (the powershaft runs into a gearbox just about where the upper cabinets in the PM drawing are so half of them would be unusable). Personally I'd prefer a Unimog for a mobile operations base over the Westland.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Ya, it's real. Good luck fitting a couch where the PM artist drew it though. The engine is in the nose of that one with the necessary firewall right where the foot of the couch would be (the powershaft runs into a gearbox just about where the upper cabinets in the PM drawing are so half of them would be unusable). Personally I'd prefer a Unimog for a mobile operations base over the Westland.

Yeah it certainly was not the most practical thing. I'm surprised they actually built it, albeit looks like little more than a rough proof-of-concept slapped together by modifying a Sikorsky. To really do something like this right it would be better to design it for this purpose from scratch. Ideally use the general idea for inspiration to make something appropriate and useful in 7dtd. It's a game, the rule of fun is enough to justify it imho.

A Unimog would be nice, yeah, but the Jeep now is not all that different. If we got another large vehicle I'd prefer it be more different than that, maybe something like an RV. And no I don't think an RV would be overkill or OP... think about it. Slow, a gas hog, haha-nope for effective offroading, and a serious death trap if caught in a mob of zeds, so using it on horde night should be more than a tad risky. But it would be a rly nice mobile mini-base, have decent storage and a built in campfire/stove, forge, and chem station, and so on, which could maybe be mods. Could probably access them from the side or something, having an actual interior may be difficult to pull of for a vehicle, dunno, fun to think about though.