Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Personally I think it would be cool if zombie spawns were increased in towns and predator spawns were increased in the wilderness, allowing the player to decide early game where to settle down and which threat was greatest to them, but I know that's not going to happen. Still, In Pimps We Trust. :)

I kinda agree with this, and then also I don't. It feels more realistic on paper, then again the loot is in the cities and the zombies are easier to deal with than the predators. I also think the tech just isn't there yet to differenciate between towns and wilderness.

I started playing with the b163 and I'm currently on day 6 with 90min days. There are currently too many predators, and it's definitely too hard early on unless you're a veteran. I've done the math I think is correct in a thread in General Discussion, and basically in b157 the spawn chance of a predator was 0.47% per chunk, and now it is 4%, with a much bigger percentage of hard predators. 

But then again, I like the added tension it brings to the table. Let's face it, during the day there was actually no threat before you encounter ferals, and by then you're usually well equipped for a single zombie running at you anyways. Now, the game has me being focused, but only, and here's the cool part, when I explore. The respawn delay is high enough so that I can clear the surroundings of my base, or even a city, and be good for a while - hopefully enough to be in next the "tier" loot wise when the respawn begins. And if I take on a quest that happens to be far apart, it's not just a "run there and be done about it", but more of a "let's be cautious on the way". I like it.

I hope they won't nerf daytime spawns too hard. Spawning more wolves  than direwolves and bears early game, and halving the total number of animal spawns would feel like nice balance to me. Making daytime virtually safe again by almost only spawning animals during night time exploration, and making them respawn on a way shorter cycle would both ruin the early game sense of imminent danger and the ability to "clear" an area for a decent amount of time.

On a side note, adding some speedy but normal versions of zombies that spawn 5-10% of the time would make for a nice change of pace once in a while. Unless you play on always run, there's no better feeling than encountering a wandering horde for the juicy xp, and that is a problem.

EDIT : Forgot to add that I really like Ezed's input on adding more parts to the early game, so that it feels like you're getting closer to a decent gun. In a sense, decoupling AK-47 / Assault rifle parts / M60 parts would make sense with the new progression system, even though it's one hell of a clutter.

7 hours ago, Jeffny said:

hello

bug or engine weakness?

thanks

ps: why the barbwire and the fonctionnal jail door are removed?

A19.0_2020-07-12_18-39-32.jpg

A19.0_2020-07-12_18-39-55.jpg

You mean that distant terrain (in your case the POI) doesn't update after being altered? Yes, game limitation, hopefully will be fixed post gold.

12 minutes ago, beHypE said:

kinda agree with this, and then also I don't. It feels more realistic on paper, then again the loot is in the cities and the zombies are easier to deal with than the predators. I also think the tech just isn't there yet to differenciate between towns and wilderness.

It is allot less realistic than you realize. The lower a city's population the fewer threats there are to animals. The fewer threats, the more likely they are to move into an area. Scavengers and prey animals first as they forage around (garbage, lawns, shrubs, medians, and trees no longer being trimmed/taken to a central location are a huge food source for herbivores and smaller omnivores), though scavenging animals are already endemic to municipal areas (no mater how hard people try, rats and roaches among others still thrive). Predator's follow the prey... 

2 hours ago, lord_ahriman said:

You mean back to normal. I'm not gonna lie, I wanted a little bit more animals because I'm a heavy miner, but not the entire zoo.

I've been working all weekend on this. I think I have it pretty good now. It might be even subjectively harder than it was before. So now, in an upcoming version there are a fair amount of rabbits and chickens and rare big game, but the chance respawns every day. So if you dedicate time to hunting, you can feed yourself, where before there was plenty on day 1 or so then it was dry for 3 weeks. So for MP people can hunt and get food, but you are getting a chicken here, a rabbit there. I haven't seen a stag or pig yet, but I also haven't been actively hunting, just doing quests and killing what I can in between quests.

Sorry for the rushed version you guys got. What seems good looking at what spawned flying round in the editor is completely different than playing the game for 3-4 hours.

46 minutes ago, Gromit said:

Any plans to reduce the size of the sniper rifle? It doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to warrant the size (which looks ridiculous anyway) and takes up way too much of the screen in my opinion.

That is being worked on.

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

It is allot less realistic than you realize. The lower a city's population the fewer threats there are to animals. The fewer threats, the more likely they are to move into an area. Scavengers and prey animals first as they forage around (garbage, lawns, shrubs, medians, and trees no longer being trimmed/taken to a central location are a huge food source for herbivores and smaller omnivores), though scavenging animals are already endemic to municipal areas (no mater how hard people try, rats and roaches among others still thrive). Predator's follow the prey... 

Bears don't live side by side with other bears... Wolf packs have clearly defined borders they defend to the death also. Don't even try saying this is based on realism. that's just not true.

31 minutes ago, madmole said:

Sorry for the rushed version you guys got. What seems good looking at what spawned flying round in the editor is completely different than playing the game for 3-4 hours.

Lol, it only took 5 minutes in each of my two games to see the problem. Glad it is being fixed tho. I've cut it down in my games already.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Agreed, animal spawns were too low before. But now it seems like a giant zoo's worth of fauna just broke loose. In an hour of gameplay I came cross 6 bears, 11 dire wolves, and over a dozen regular wolves. Imo bears should be rare spawns, but not virtually non-existent like they were before. Wolves and Dire Wolves shouldn't be showing up every 5 minutes either.

Personally I think it would be cool if zombie spawns were increased in towns and predator spawns were increased in the wilderness, allowing the player to decide early game where to settle down and which threat was greatest to them, but I know that's not going to happen. Still, In Pimps We Trust. :)

Can confirm, lol. Started out with a dire wolf just outside my base, then another one and two bears, all within a few blocks.

I mean, I don't mind thanks to my Desert Vulture and the pile of meat it got me... buuuut, I'd be all kinds of nope otherwise since it's only day 7(is a lvl 1 DV I spent all my dukes on, worth it!), even with that badass gun they don't go down easy. Odds are I'd be all kinds of dead otherwise, so consider my approval temporary and biased.

I'm sure you'll adjust it, again, is fun in the meantime. Experiencing this balancing act is why I enjoy experimental.

2 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Bears don't live side by side with other bears... Wolf packs have clearly defined borders they defend to the death also. Don't even try saying this is based on realism. that's just not true.

My comment was directed at it being said that it would be unrealistic for predators to be in towns and cities, which is wrong.

Bears share territory and it isn't unusual to find them "hanging" out or working together to get at something. Wolf pack territory size depends on availability of food and the number of pack members. In both cases a town or city could exist overlapping several territories...

I also loved the increased enemy animal spawns.

Maybe a bit unrealistic as far as the bears go but I loved the added danger. 

It's weird tho, I haven't seen one boar since the patch.

Mountain lions, dire wolves, bears, & dogs o'plenty but no boars.....🤔

19 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

My comment was directed at it being said that it would be unrealistic for predators to be in towns and cities, which is wrong.

Bears share territory and it isn't unusual to find them "hanging" out or working together to get at something. Wolf pack territory size depends on availability of food and the number of pack members. In both cases a town or city could exist overlapping several territories...

With corona and strict stay inside orders in just a few days animals took over many areas. Like hundreds of wild monkeys in one city I saw a video on. Its not even an apocalypse and I've seen up to 20 stag walking through my yard, boatloads of geese, fox, wild turkeys, and obviously cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. I hear coyotes at night. I live on the edge of town is all.

Off topic but the coolest thing I saw was a fawn (baby deer) in my front yard, I was able to get about 8' from it, so cute. Wasn't much bigger than a small dog.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Off topic but the coolest thing I saw was a fawn (baby deer) in my front yard, I was able to get about 8' from it, so cute. Wasn't much bigger than a small dog.

the only wildlife i see is Anloes, Cuban frogs, Mice, mud dauber and squirrels, Dogs don't count!

but sounds cool! i would try to feed it, i like animals!

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

With corona and strict stay inside orders in just a few days animals took over many areas. Like hundreds of wild monkeys in one city I saw a video on. Its not even an apocalypse and I've seen up to 20 stag walking through my yard, boatloads of geese, fox, wild turkeys, and obviously cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. I hear coyotes at night. I live on the edge of town is all.

Yes, the wildlife really is coming out of the woods, irl, all over the place. I've seen tons of pics and videos over the past few months of quarantine.

Bears would flourish, wolves too, all of nature really.

Anyway, back to not the real world... on my bike ride home, again just a few blocks, I was first stopped by a bear I didn't see, swiped on me bike. Ouch, as I fought it I noticed a Z fighting a dire wolf up the street, which gave me time to take care of the other bear and the other direwolf(the Z won the fight with the first). It's ridiculous but I am having fun with it.

Again I know you'll tweak it... I am just extra eager to see Glock 9's next A19 video, his reaction should be amusing, as always. So, thank you for the temporary beast boost, the resulting videos should be hella funny.

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

I suppose I'm going off topic as well then because I've also been witnessing this temporary "reclaim" from nature happening, and it's really quite remarkable. Around where I live the neighborhood dogs and cats have all but chased off (or killed) the local finches, robins, hummingbirds, squirrels, and even crows. In recent weeks I've seen them all return in large numbers which is lovely to see. Still no bumblebees though, haven't seen those in years. 😕 Come to think of it, despite living out in the country mostly, I haven't seen foxes, deer, bears, coyotes, rabbits, or a large variety of species of birds in a long time; a lot of this is probably due to large swathes of countryside, including hiking trails, being closed off and made into private property. A real shame if you ask me.

Hiking trails have never done it for me though. I would much rather trek through natural terrain and not ugly gravel paths.

Oops, way off topic. 😛

7 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Anyway, back to not the real world... on my bike ride home, again just a few blocks, I was first stopped by a bear I didn't see, swiped on me bike. Ouch, as I fought it

I read that part of your post and my brain didn't process the first section... You would be one tough son of a bee to get swiped off your bike by the swinging paw of a bear and only react with "ouch", not to mention taking it on and hand to paw combat. 😜

24 minutes ago, madmole said:

I live in Austin. I always see a group of 3-6 deer wandering apartment complex. Mainly at night.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived