Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

13 minutes ago, faatal said:

No establezca FPS mín. En 60. El valor predeterminado es menor por una razón. Eso significa que dentro de poco tiempo de que FPS descienda por debajo de 60, reducirá su resolución. Hay muchas veces jugando el juego donde FPS caerá por debajo de 60, por lo que necesita algo de relleno, por lo que no saltas con frecuencia a diferentes resoluciones.

Thank you very much @Faatal, I was able to solve the problem, you are the best

59 minutes ago, max2k said:

@Ayrton.

El cambio de calidad es "modo de resolución dinámica" o lo que está en su idioma. Lo ha configurado en automático y 60 fps mínimo. Intenta reducir todas las configuraciones gráficas para mantener 60 fps. Gírelo a 30 fps o apáguelo ...

Thank you very much and I was able to solve the problem with your help and @faatal's thank you very much to both

39 minutes ago, madmole said:

This is what I'm testing now which will be in the next build unless I change it again:

Changed: All small game (rabbits and chickens) and large game (boars, and deer) spawn every day or night at any time. Small game has a high chance to spawn, large game has a low chance to spawn.

Large Predator animals such as bears and dire wolves only spawn at night in the forests. Wolves have a very small chance to spawn in forests during the day

Changed: Enemy respawn time is reduced in the wasteland. At night, Zombies will respawn immediately, making the wasteland harder to survive at night

I really like the sound of this. The first week struggle to get up and running is my favorite part of the game.

47 minutes ago, madmole said:

This is what I'm testing now which will be in the next build unless I change it again:

Changed: All small game (rabbits and chickens) and large game (boars, and deer) spawn every day or night at any time. Small game has a high chance to spawn, large game has a low chance to spawn.

Large Predator animals such as bears and dire wolves only spawn at night in the forests. Wolves have a very small chance to spawn in forests during the day

Changed: Enemy respawn time is reduced in the wasteland. At night, Zombies will respawn immediately, making the wasteland harder to survive at night

So... where do the sneks (snakes) fit in all of this? Small game? What of vultures and zombie bears?

13 minutes ago, Vintorez said:

Is it an issue with certain PoIs or some other factor that sometimes makes stealth just seem completely nonfunctional?

Full padded armor, From the Shadows rank 3, Silent jumping book, avoiding/breaking trash, and no crouch sprinting. Sometimes I can weave through a house sneak killing every zombie outside of the occasional intentional ambush trap, but other times almost every room is immediately woken and on me as soon as the red dots from quest tracking shows up.

Not all sleepers are stealthable.  There are some sleepers that will attack the player as soon as they get close enough which I think is fine to create those "special moments". :)

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Not all sleepers are stealthable.  There are some sleepers that will attack the player as soon as they get close enough which I think is fine to create those "special moments". :)

I know there are just sometimes traps adn that's fun, gotta go toe to toe now and then. But I'm talking entire PoIs, entire buildings that seemingly just say "Sorry, should have gone strength or fortitude."

Just now, Vintorez said:

I know there are just sometimes traps adn that's fun, gotta go toe to toe now and then. But I'm talking entire PoIs, entire buildings that seemingly just turn off your stealth build.

If you can recall the POI, I can look at it. :)

Looking at my quest log the most recent one I had this happen would be either house_old_bungalow_11 or house_old_spanish_01, the one where you go in through a room at the top of a shed/garage, take a catwalk into the main house, go down through an underground facility, and back up ending in the first shed/garage.

We are seeing problems with thrown stone spears "falling off the world". On our P2P MP game, if the client throws a stone spear at a zombie and misses, the console will give a message about the spear "fell off the world". It only seems to happen to the client and not to the host. Anyone else seeing this problem?

I'm not sure where to report this, and I know I took this picture in a now outdated version but I thought I'd might as well, so my apologies that it's posted here. A "house_old_pyramid_04" in my world had two iron desks in the basement area, and one of which was colliding with the other and half-buried in the wall; in other words, the second desk shouldn't be there. I've posted two images down below.

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-10_1_40_16_PM.thumb.png.444961f1b279dc7e199984d05c535a65.png

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-10_1_40_19_PM.thumb.png.8d74d3217f4114995e186ea655fba196.png

PLEASE make it so we can choose whatever value we want for daylight length in singleplayer. I don't want to be forced to sit 15 minutes every hour (18 hour setting which is max value atm) just to hide and do nothing. It at least used to be possible to use the "sg daylightlength VALUE" command and after a couple of tries and saves and reloads it accepted the new value and used the new value from that point on. That doesn't seem to work anymore and should not be needed to be honest. Just don't limit the settings dial to 18 hours max please.

3 hours ago, madmole said:

No @%$*#! Sherlock, but I don't have any code and we are in feature freeze. I'm trying to hack my way around this with existing xml for now.

I was thinking rabbits and chickens can spawn every day, so if you work for it you can always find them, and then big game will spawn very rare on a slower interval could work well for sp and mp, for now until we get something that scales it based on server pop.

Elementary, dear Madmole. Sounds like you are describing kind of an event system for animals that rules threat and spawns organically by animal type and amount of players. Imma wait for a20 before honouring my forum title again. This animal tweak ruined meat abundance for a19 though. b157 had the sweet spot with maybe too long of  a spawn cycle for the meat bearers (7 days if I'm not mistaken). Today, in a little more than 1 hour I got 375+ meat and the level of threat was through the roof despite being just day 1.

Just here to echo the sentiment made not long ago about adding a toggle for the sprint function.  Having to basically stop running altogether to get it to stop (and even then, sometimes when you start trying to walk, it's still in run mode for a few seconds) seems like a relatively easy fix?

Otherwise, really loving 19.  Thanks for a great update!

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Sounds very very good. In theory should solve any meat/animal problem with any number of players without the need for further coding.

I'm guessing snakes are night and day predators? Or maybe spawning with "big game" ? 

1 hour ago, Vintorez said:

Looking at my quest log the most recent one I had this happen would be either house_old_bungalow_11 or house_old_spanish_01, the one where you go in through a room at the top of a shed/garage, take a catwalk into the main house, go down through an underground facility, and back up ending in the first shed/garage.

you describe house_old_bungalow_11. and i'm sure Laz Man will confirm that several areas of that poi house insta wake  zeds, for those special moments.

Well I made it, SP day 6 morning took over the medium working stiffs by diresville doing permadeath on insane sprint nightmare/night with 25% loot and 50 day loot respawns and NO NERD POLLING. Despite having to Dippin and dodge the doggos. The way this place is setup with the walls already there I'd have a ladder to the ground all but on horde night, they'd need to bring the building down to get me out and I've got lots of time before that's a problem, only needs a slight reno but I'll probably go all out.

I would say it was no cheese to but I did have to build a fortification to kill a dire wolf that was hovering over a mission I travelled 2K to do, I was out matched with my agility build, so it could have been cleaner.

Edit: it can be very easily converted into Kardnyl zyn barrier base design (or at least he uses it alot) by knocking out the middle wall on the fence which the zeds actually do for you, and then you convert the rooms of the working stiffs into bunkers so you can be in your base eye level and kill zeds at the fence. Just finish the fence so it goes all the way around the building. No cheese base design good till demos. Mite even have a working vending machine.

Think it mite be time to do insane nightmare nightmare/night next patch. Then random gen if they can get it to where they say they want it.

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Do not set min FPS to 60. The default is lower for a reason. That means within a short time of FPS going below 60, it will reduce your resolution. The are plenty of times playing the game where FPS will drop below 60, so it needs some padding, so you are not frequently jumping to different resolutions.

I set mine to kick in at 30 FPS, don't mind the effect, far prefer having higher texture quality, and I chose to use this instead of texture streaming since that knocked way too many textures way too low... but... that was yesterday. I just got back from Micro Center, actually needed to upgrade to support the work I am doing, robots be complicated, especially since my job requires bringing ALL the components together in a single file, having a nice gaming rig is but a super sweet side effect. Electrical guys sent me a file straight out of Altium, great level of detail, but too much, way too much... like the processor on the board had a sphere for every single connection on it's bottom, and that's one board for one joint, there are many throughout the bot, so a full assembly with that level of detail was making my computer cry and give up, we're talking 2 maybe 3 FPS, ha, I can't work like that. So I had to remove a ton of unnecessary detail AND upgrade to get more vRAM.

Oddly enough my old card was a Titan, albeit first gen with only 6GB of vRAM. And yes it felt weird removing a Titan card for not being good enough, but 7ish years was a good run. Now I have a 1080 Ti with 11GB, and omg. Yeah it was pricey, but I got a great deal. Usually they float around $1,200, this one is refurbished and was only $600. I'd swear it was brand new, but for half the price, it is more than worth it, and again I need it for work anyhow. I highly recommend doing this if your budget is limited.

I could run R6 Seige at 3440 before, and had most settings high, so there is barely a dif now, but I could never get it to run smooth at that resolution in 7DTD, mainly because they are very different engines. But now I can run 7dtd at full Ultra for all the things, at 3440 and it is smooth as can be, so awesome. I did leave dynamic res on, but it has yet to be necessary and kick in. For comparison I also tried a dif voxel game, Space Engineers... um, for the love of RAM do not ever set things all the way up in THAT voxel game, just don't... in 7 years I have never, not once, seen my machine max out it's 32 GB of mobo RAM, until I cranked SE settings. Peaked my RAM, not my video card RAM, my system RAM, and froze my machine good. So whatever the difference is between that voxel engine and this one, it's huge... though I was admittedly rendering an entire planet as I flew towards it at 400 meters per second. Point is, this voxel game is very well optimized by comparison, so kudos to TFP on that. 

For a simple "T5 quests are boring because they are all at Shotgun Messiah or Shamway" fix,  would it not be fairly easy to increase the PoI search range as the tiers increase? Running 5KM for a T1 would obviously be terrible, but late game I'm seriously at the stage where I would be okay with getting on my motorcycle and driving for half a day just for a change of pace.

I drove to every single trader I've found in the map asking for jobs, and as best I can tell with the way the traders spawned, the only PoI within range is 3-4 Shotgun Messiah, 2-3 Shamway, 2 6 story Apartment, and a single hospital. I drove all the way to the other traders just to do a hospital for a change of pace lol

I know chat was asking on stream a lot if the Skyscrapper could spawn outside Navesgane, I'm starting to wonder if I don't even have any of the other T5's in my game. A bigger radius would at least let me know what was even there, especially if it offered more available quest options so you could see 5 quest offers and pick the one you haven't done 9 times in a week.

My poor local twin Shotgun Messiah have been cleared at least 12 times in two weeks

5 hours ago, Vintorez said:

Is it an issue with certain PoIs or some other factor that sometimes makes stealth just seem completely nonfunctional?

Full padded armor, From the Shadows rank 3, Silent jumping book, avoiding/breaking trash, and no crouch sprinting. Sometimes I can weave through a house sneak killing every zombie outside of the occasional intentional ambush trap, but other times almost every room is immediately woken and on me as soon as the red dots from quest tracking shows up.

Stealth is pretty pointless / questionable at the moment, you can test how it works pretty easily. They basically have a bubble that extends to their little aggro radius, and when you walk in it, they are instantly aware of you and even show up on the HUD as red dots a lot of the time despite them still sleeping. They don't always auto aggro until you shoot if you are crouched though, so you can usually pick one or *maybe* two of them off from inside the aggro radius bubble before they all wake up

Instead, if you stand outside the aggro radius and just crouch and shoot them with an unsilenced rifle, they generally won't wake up unless you miss a shot and damage a block. Damaging a block inside the aggro radius will auto wake them ALL up.

So for stealth, just stand well outside the aggro bubble and be very precise and just pick them off, you can usually take out 80% of the room before they decide to wake up for what ever reason.

As best I can tell, Suppressors do NOT work, or if they do, it has so little impact it's not worth the damage loss. A suppressor might work on a zombie that spawned awake, walking around in a field or something, but those types of zombies are so little threat there's no point in losing damage with a suppressor imo. Suppressors do not seem to make any difference for aggro bubbles or sleeping zombies, either you miss your shot and hit a block and they wake up, or you snipe them all from outside the aggro bubble without needing a suppressor

Edit: This thread on Reddit actually has some pretty interesting info on the suppressors, they say they were broken in A17 which sounds about  right since I know they used to work, maybe they haven't been "fixed" since?

Archived