madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Here is what I'm testing locally now:

Small game spawns any time of day or night.

Large game spawns every 9 days at night.

Predator animals spawn at night only every 10 days.

So if you want lots of meat hunt at night, otherwise it won't spawn. Risk and reward. Otherwise work your butt off scrounging on chickens and rabbits.

Scared of predators? Stay indoors at night, they won't spawn except perhaps in your immediate area once every 10 days.

Have you also thought of decreasing amount of meat that can be looted from animals? Could be a middle way to solve meat abundance problem but simultaneously keep animal count (also predators and big ones) higher. Once every 10 days for the bigger guys isn't much again.

Just an idea :)

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

So if you want lots of meat hunt at night, otherwise it won't spawn. Risk and reward. Otherwise work your butt off scrounging on chickens and rabbits.

Scared of predators? Stay indoors at night, they won't spawn except perhaps in your immediate area once every 10 days.

Sounds like good changes. The perks The Huntsman and Animal Tracker went from semi-decent perks in A19, to being mostly pointless in the current patch, and now they're back in the game again.

I suppose "large game" refers to boars, deer, and bucks? Or is large game bears, dire wolves, etc. and predator animals refer to wolves, coyotes, etc.?

1 minute ago, PoloPoPo said:

Have you also thought of decreasing amount of meat that can be looted from animals? Could be a middle way to solve meat abundance problem but simultaneously keep animal count (also predators and big ones) higher. Once every 10 days for the bigger guys isn't much again.

Just an idea :)

People have complained a lot about how stingy we are about the meat drops for years.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Sounds like good changes. The perks The Huntsman and Animal Tracker went from semi-decent perks in A19, to being mostly pointless in the current patch, and now they're back in the game again.

I suppose "large game" refers to boars, deer, and bucks? Or is large game bears, dire wolves, etc. and predator animals refer to wolves, coyotes, etc.?

Large game is doe, stag, boar. Predators are bears, wolves and dire wolves.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, madmole said:

Large game is doe, stag, boar. Predators are bears, wolves and dire wolves.

Right, right. Got to work on my terminology a bit more it seems.

So with rabbits and chickens (snakes as well?) being the only creatures that will spawn during the day, this should be an interesting shake-up.

Edit: Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the larger game will only spawn at nighttime specifically every 9 days and for the predators every 10 nights, and if we miss those specific nights we'll have to wait a further 9-10 days? Also, how are the spawn rates for those three categories going to be like?

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Black Hat said:

Can't wait the stable build!

Can someone give a hint when its done?

Other than done when is done. 😂😂😂

Sure, when its not not done

• Haha 2
  • Knuckle Rub 1

1 hour ago, madmole said:

That is just over thinking it. Ideally they could do more, but at the end of the day they will always be a gate with something small. If they did more, then the perks themselves would start to feel watered down and that is no fun buying a watered down perk. The way it is now, the attribute is the week before Christmas, and once you get through that, you have access to a variety of presents. It teaches people sometimes you have to be patient to get what you want, or pay a price, or make a choice. Something too many kids these days don't understand, but natural selection will school them eventually.

I have no problem with hits, what I hate is for certain playstyle you are locked with 1 melee and one ranged option. Imho perks should be separate from weapons. A possible solution I offer:

• Remove weapon specific perks, put their damage progression into weapons themselves and add perks similar to penetrator, run and gun or flurry of blows. For example
    • Perception - Exploit weakness - body shots have chance for criticals
    • Strength - Unstoppable force - Higher chance for ragdolling enemy
    • Fortitude - Berserker - you increase your damage based on damage taken
    • Agility - Combo attack - every third attack is critical strike
    • Intelect - Calculated strike - after not attacking for 5 second your next strike will be critical strike

These would still guide you towards certain weapons (fast vs slow, long range short range etc.), but you would not be hard locked to them and you could enjoy their benefits with all weapons. With some more with others less.

I have to play as much as possible then before the next update comes in to further enjoy the increased animal frequency :D

• Haha 1
  • Sympathy 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Right, right. Got to work on my terminology a bit more it seems.

So with rabbits and chickens (snakes as well?) being the only creatures that will spawn during the day, this should be an interesting shake-up.

I am trying all game can spawn any time, every day or night now, with the larger game being really rare. Then there isn't ever a dumb blackout period of no chance of getting a stag which seems like a better design. One problem with the old setup was a guy joins a server on day 2 and all the other jerks cleared out all the meat so you are stuck waiting for 2 weeks before anything respawned. So I think this will actually be better the more I think about it, a constant supply of small game and very rare chance for wild game to spawn too, at any time, with only a 1 day delay.

Edited by madmole (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, madmole said:

I am trying all game can spawn any time, every day or night now, with the larger game being really rare. Then there isn't ever a dumb blackout period of no chance of getting a stag which seems like a better design. One problem with the old setup was a guy joins a server on day 2 and all the other jerks cleared out all the meat so you are stuck waiting for 2 weeks before anything respawned. So I think this will actually be better the more I think about it, a constant supply of small game and very rare chance for wild game to spawn too, at any time, with only a 1 day delay.

When do the naked amazon women spawn?

Also, does Masvidal have a chance in hell??

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Speaking of game, will there be any adjustments made to the Bob's Boars POI? To my current knowledge the boars respawn in that POI every 5 days, creating a very exploitable farm that could be alright for crowded MP servers, but if the player chooses to ruin their own experience by exploiting this... Again, all on their hands, but perhaps the boar spawns should occur much less frequently, or perhaps be a single occurrence?

I suppose the counterargument though would be that if the player finds this POI on day 1 (metaphorically or literally) then they are set for life with one trip anyway, and again, this could be a useful mechanic on MP servers.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

This sounds promising. 1 day delay for wild game, maybe not "very rare" but "rare" :D

Or very rare chance at daytime and a more common chance at night but you have to leave your base for that?!

23 minutes ago, madmole said:

Great Idea!

I like it and can't wait until we can have that all.

Thank you MM

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Masvidal is going to wreck Usman and shock the world. He trains with Yoel, so he will be ready for any weak sauce wrestling Usman can do, and Usman doesn't want to grind him against the cage because look what Masvidal did to Diaz against the cage? He diced him open with elbows. His cardio might suck though since he took the fight on short notice. I'm hoping he can do some big damage early and get a finish, Usman is boring.

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Speaking of game, will there be any adjustments made to the Bob's Boars POI? To my current knowledge the boars respawn in that POI every 5 days, creating a very exploitable farm that could be alright for crowded MP servers, but if the player chooses to ruin their own experience by exploiting this... Again, all on their hands, but perhaps the boar spawns should occur much less frequently, or perhaps be a single occurrence?

I suppose the counterargument though would be that if the player finds this POI on day 1 (metaphorically or literally) then they are set for life with one trip anyway, and again, this could be a useful mechanic on MP servers.

We want to overhaul spawning and properly reset chunks based on server preference.

44 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Best use of the sledge turret I've seen to date.  The Zombies started to focus there attacks on damaged areas so the streamer put his sledge down perfectly!

Yeah it got a good boost in recent update.  There even better in a funnel and barb wire combo.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

they do!

there called stripper zombies!

35 minutes ago, madmole said:

Sounds like a good buffer for new players so they dont get wrecked too soon.  

I like this because it is pretty much the same for sp and mp. Everyone can hunt every day and not have these huge droughts of no meat in cleared areas.

I went with a high chance for small game, low chance for big game, spawning any time. every day.

For predators, they spawn only at night in the starter biomes, every 4 days like zombies.

(still tweaking things, but I think this is going to be what we do for the next patch)

• Like 10

1 minute ago, madmole said:

For predators, they spawn only at night in the starter biomes, every 4 days like zombies.

Will they immediately die off during the day like ferals, or will it be the same system as it always has been with animals despawning eventually?

Also, given that line of text, am I correct in assuming that nighttime predator spawns only occur in the forest biome, and mountain lions/etc. can spawn at any time in their respective biomes?

One more thing, have predator aggro ranges been changed at all? Often it feels like you have to boop their snoot before they come attacking. On top of that, occasionally if I am being chased down by a predator, it might lose interest in me sometimes only half a block away behind me, and they walk off like they had never seen me.

17 minutes ago, madmole said:

Masvidal is going to wreck Usman and shock the world. He trains with Yoel, so he will be ready for any weak sauce wrestling Usman can do, and Usman doesn't want to grind him against the cage because look what Masvidal did to Diaz against the cage? He diced him open with elbows. His cardio might suck though since he took the fight on short notice. I'm hoping he can do some big damage early and get a finish, Usman is boring.

We want to overhaul spawning and properly reset chunks based on server preference.

I hope you are right…. but I'm gonna have to get against you on this one :)

Good people, after a long time I return to the forum, and I really wanted to try the experimental and I have these graphics problems, I want to apologize if this is not the right place, I am very lost with the new forum, which is very cool by the way, I would like to know what I can do to solve this since it is very annoying, I already tried with the anisotropic x2 and it remains the same, I have all the updated drivers I leave here a video of what happens 

1 minute ago, Ayrton said:

Buenas personas, después de mucho tiempo vuelvo al foro, y realmente quería probar el experimental y tengo estos problemas gráficos, quiero disculparme si este no es el lugar correcto, estoy muy perdido con el nuevo foro, que es muy bueno por cierto, me gustaría saber qué puedo hacer para resolver esto, ya que es muy molesto, ya probé con el anisotrópico x2 y sigue siendo el mismo, tengo todos los controladores actualizados. Dejo aquí un video de lo que pasa 

you can notice how it flickers and changes the quality

29 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I hope you are right…. but I'm gonna have to get against you on this one :)

I'm being hopeful. Likely Usman will out grind him. Tuck his head down in a cage grind, or take him down and lay on him. But I'm hoping the knees and elbows will be too much. Usman's never fought a really creative striker like Masvidal though so it could be fun. Masvidal continues to surprise though, a few years ago he was a quitter/coaster. Now he brings it, so we'll see :).

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I think there are to many animal spawns now after the patch. In 3 game days I have killed 3 bears, 3 stags, 4 doe, 3 dire wolves, 2 regular wolves, a chicken and 2 rabbits. Seems a bit much.

I was thinking having bears spawn rarely, deer spawn at night, and the little critters during the day. Seems a little better.

On a side note, I love the localization pushed from servers now and in the last patch, I love the writable storage boxes.

Great work!!

18 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

@faatal

i had this question for awhile and i didn't know how to describe it, but here it goes!

why do some zombie models spawn more then others? take the nurse for example, she spawns often in homes, businesses, horde nights and just roaming around, while some zombies like the Farmer and the stripper spawns less often then other zombies, even if you go to those areas you still won't find them there, i rarely see a farmer or stripper during horde night, but i see tons of nurses!

this also kinda goes in hand with biome zombies, i never see a burned zombie in a horde, and i don't see a lumberjack in a horde ether, and in those biomes in the wild, only those zombies spawn (say burnt zombies only spawn in the wild but no other zombies except at night).  any reason why?

if it didn't make sense, im sorry i don't know how to explain it. :)   

Because of data in XML. Designers make spawn groups with different types of zombies in the different groups for different use cases. That is how they set them. Randomness also is a factor.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, madmole said:

I like this because it is pretty much the same for sp and mp. Everyone can hunt every day and not have these huge droughts of no meat in cleared areas.

I went with a high chance for small game, low chance for big game, spawning any time. every day.

(still tweaking things, but I think this is going to be what we do for the next patch)

i think it makes sense that animals are everywhere!

I mean in a world where humans are not as common, Nature will take over! and i think a Nice pack of Coyotes would kill a zombie easy!

Maybe in the forest Coyotes could spawn as a Weak hostile animal to kill. Still makes no sense why Coyotes just live in the desert? 

Posted (edited)

@Ayrton.

The Quality change is  "mode de resolution dynamica" or what is in your language. You have set it to automatical and 60 fps minimum. It trys to lower  all graphcis setings to hold 60fps. Turn it to 30 fps or off ...

Edited by max2k (see edit history)
  • Like 2