Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I just went to the trader its only day 2 and I bought enough mushrooms and potatos for like 5 plants. All I have to do is find corn which is easy and plant, by day 14 they'll have grown into enough plants to solely feed me any meat found would be bonus but not needed to keep me alive. This would make this run actually important having that food problem already figured out IF the whole world wasn't swimming in meat now. Ok now I've fully made my point.

Edit: Just wait till I get a base going, there will be no reason to hunt, dinner will kill itself on my walls constantly. Can we get new things to make with all this meat? Like a meat manikin that you can put the jack-o-lantern on top of? Ridiculous right, crazy even? So is all this meat!

5 hours ago, SirScuttles said:

Huh. Well if that is there then it may be more of a visibility issue, like having the infection rate flash bright green when you are infected or the infection rate goes up from being hit. Although it's still rare that infection rate out climbs health damage.

You can throw everything I said out the window. That's how it worked in A18. They changed it again in A19.

11 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

honestly i don't know how they could "fix" the perks

they ether gut the whole system and remake it from scratch but that will cost alot of money and may make it even worst

Make it like the old alphas, but that had its own problems

i don't know what they could do!   

They did fix it in Alpha 16 but I'm living in some bizarro world where everyone collectively has amnesia and have all forgotten that it happened.

13 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Finally someone who agrees with me on this

I'll say this, if they change the stats from dismember chance, they'll remove the most broken perk interaction in the game.

3 hours ago, Syrex said:

What happened to the 1/4 rounded block? 

Have you checked the shape menus on wood frames, flagstone block, iron frames, or rebar frames? Iirc @madmole said something about them starting to consolidate the different shapes into the "helper" blocks.

17 hours ago, FileMachete said:

I haven't seen anyone saying that being stronger shouldn't result in being better at things that obviously take strength.

Yet the Bow, which would require the most strength of any in-game ranged weapon gains nothing from upping strength.

Breaking things out of these clumsy pseudo 'archetype' templates would allow a true, pure Strength Attribute to benefit Bows, and Clubs, etc.

Would also allow for Crossbows to not benefit as much from Str, so a "stealth" player who wasn't also miner, or club user, could decide to go with crossbows over bows.

Edit: extrapolate from there. No suprise a more open system would support more choices.

Using a bow doesn't really benefit from high strength.  It takes a certain amount of strength to be able to pull the string back to use it effectively, but once you pull it all the way back greater strength does nothing, and it doesn't take that much strength to pull a bow all the way back.  

23 hours ago, Roland said:

Go to the beta opt in screen on Steam today and opt in to Alpha 18.4 so that when Alpha 19 leaves experimental you won't automatically update to it and then have to reinstall Alpha 18.4. Then you can just continue on with your game. If you are already 100 hours into this save then you are already past 90% of what is new with this update and you are used to the graphics anyway. 

It will probably be at least 5-6 months before the next major update so once you start feeling bored of your current game at that point go ahead and switch over to A19 and start fresh. You will have lots of time before the next necessary restart will hit. These restarts really aren't that often. You just started close to one but the next one won't be for quite awhile.

This answer kind of ignores half of my post.  I acknowledged that the game can continue to be played using the older version, but I also play online with friends, and you would need to have the same versions to play together.  If I update the game to play online, and then want to play my other character solo, I would have to revert to the older version, then update again the next time I play online.  

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Set down a land claim block, then access the forge (press E for a second)

7 hours ago, SirScuttles said:

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Just make sure you empty it of it's contents & remember to remove the anvil, bellows, & crucible.

Sorry guys, I totally screwed up my above post. It wouldn't let me fully delete another post I quoted, then I just screwed it up more trying to fix it. 

I'm on my phone, maybe that's why it's different. 

I was TRYING to reply to someone's post asking how to pick up a forge. 

Meganoth replied to put down the land claim block & then access the forge & hold e for a second. 

I was also just reminding to empty out the forges contents and to remove the anvil, crucible, & bellows. 

I read somewhere the game doesn't remember if it has contents or not. 

So not sure if you just lose the stuff or it drops it onto the ground in bags....ive never done it myself.

3 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Sorry guys, I totally screwed up my above post. It wouldn't let me fully delete another post I quoted, then I just screwed it up more trying to fix it. 

I'm on my phone, maybe that's why it's different. 

I was TRYING to reply to someone's post asking how to pick up a forge. 

Meganoth replied to put down the land claim block & then access the forge & hold e for a second. 

I was also just reminding to empty out the forges contents and to remove the anvil, crucible, & bellows. 

I read somewhere the game doesn't remember if it has contents or not. 

So not sure if you just lose the stuff or it drops it onto the ground in bags....ive never done it myself.

Yeah, everything in the forge is gone when you pick it up.

36 minutes ago, Kiernan531 said:

Using a bow doesn't really benefit from high strength.  It takes a certain amount of strength to be able to pull the string back to use it effectively, but once you pull it all the way back greater strength does nothing, and it doesn't take that much strength to pull a bow all the way back.  

Yeah, we not talking about the plastic bows you shoot the stick-on arrows with. That, contrary to believe, won't kill a zombie.

Go try and @%$*#! a proper 75lb break power compound bow, which is probably what you need to do any serious hunting with. Unless you just want to anger a boar.

2 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Have you checked the shape menus on wood frames, flagstone block, iron frames, or rebar frames? Iirc @madmole said something about them starting to consolidate the different shapes into the "helper" blocks.

yea, not in wood, flagstone, concrete/rebar shape menu

15 minutes ago, Matt 1977 said:

Well my 2 cents, animal spawns shouldn't have been changed. 

Well... please, @madmole setting the animal respawn to 3-4 days ONLY in multiplayer would be more than enough. The actual amount of animals at a given time was always ok since those freaky ancient alphas.  The 7 day animal respawn was what resulted in scarcity in worlds ranging from 3 to 8 players, not the abundance.

Also, automatically scaling the animal count when 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 players are in the game would be the ideal way to go but requires more code.

Wolves, bears and Mountain lions should not spawn at day the first few days, and should always be the rarest.

48 minutes ago, Marinxar said:

Yeah, we not talking about the plastic bows you shoot the stick-on arrows with. That, contrary to believe, won't kill a zombie.

Go try and @%$*#! a proper 75lb break power compound bow, which is probably what you need to do any serious hunting with. Unless you just want to anger a boar.

Yup.

The only one on this forum I know, who could pull one of the stronger Long Bows without shaking, would be Madmole.

52 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

That's what I figured. Thanks for clarifying.

Just craft smelted iron into scrap iron same with clay or any else to smelt back in when yoy replace it.

54 minutes ago, Marinxar said:

I have used a 65lb compound bow in my early to mid teens. Now I had to draw it pointed down at my waist to also use my shoulder to pull it, but once pulled back there is no issue shooting it. The others in game are primitive bow and wooden bow which are not going to be that strong, so I dont think it belongs in strength either.

Its a game and not going to be logical. People need to quite trying to be Vulcans. 

I played for a few hours at v19. I really liked the new models and textures. Thank you very much for this.

During two hours of play, I found 20 muskets in safes and more than 30 stone axes in toolboxes. I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. At least there should be pistols in the safe. The tool boxes contain factory-made steel tools. What does it matter what level the character is and what skills they have? The world around us should not depend on the character, it is the character who should depend on the world.

I believe that the game should be full of unexpected accidents. Where it seems safe there may be a lot of dangerous zombies, and in the tool box may be a good tool that did not have time to steal looters.

But you can't find or buy homemade tools or weapons in the game. Why even do something yourself, when just open any drawer and there you will find a ready-made musket or homemade crossbow? This is not survival, but a runner with a search for items.

And traders do not have to buy the self-made trash and debris. They sell the loot that they produced in factories. And it should be really expensive.

1 hour ago, Dethar said:

Just craft smelted iron into scrap iron same with clay or any else to smelt back in when yoy replace it.

I have used a 65lb compound bow in my early to mid teens. Now I had to draw it pointed down at my waist to also use my shoulder to pull it, but once pulled back there is no issue shooting it. The others in game are primitive bow and wooden bow which are not going to be that strong, so I dont think it belongs in strength either.

Its a game and not going to be logical. People need to quite trying to be Vulcans. 

To shoot what ? a Sponge target ?

You use your own experience to justify a point, then state people should stop being logical.... 

The point was, you could not operate a bow without strength, at all. That don't mean you could operate it without agility either. Not effectively anyway. Which was the whole point. Things don't need to be strictly logical, but should make some sense. Im not going to push a point further on this, as I get TFP's point as well. I might not agree with it, but I get it. It had to go somewhere, and strength already had too many things in it.

EDIT : This is why I am a fan of LBD. It is so much simpler. You could assign parent stats to skills. Bows, dmg increase with strength, accuracy with agility. You can assign any amount of skills with it's required parent stats, without breaking any static class paths. etc etc. Problem solved. 

How was that you tie loot and enemies to gamestage? The animals are since the patch yesterday not tied to game stage any longer. A fresh character with a club a bow and a few arrows will now get Bears and Dire Wolfs on every corner. Because you need to runaway most of the game you will not rise you gamestage in the near future to get any guns ... If you are at later stage and have guns food is totaly meaningless again. I was on of the few who loved the progresion ... but if animals are not tied to game stage then i am done.

2 hours ago, Kiernan531 said:

This answer kind of ignores half of my post.  I acknowledged that the game can continue to be played using the older version, but I also play online with friends, and you would need to have the same versions to play together.  If I update the game to play online, and then want to play my other character solo, I would have to revert to the older version, then update again the next time I play online.  

Then use the mod launcher. Download it from the modding forum and use it to create a copy of the 18.4 version. Then go ahead and update to A19. When you want to play your 18.4 game launch from the mod launcher. When you want to play A19 launch from Steam.

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I've just spent the night with Trader Jen. And I thought the wolves were feisty. ;) Trust me, you'll be fine.

Nevermind, I just woke up and I'm once again in my small, decrepit wooden shack completely alone. It was but a dream. 😢

I feel your pain!

The animal spawns in the latest build seems to be a bit overwhelming to new players, hopefully it gets adjusted again soon.  I have no problem with it, but I've played this game for 6413 hours. 

I see comments by people who recently bought 7 Days to Die saying that they're going back to stable because they're having such a hard time dealing with the wolves, dire wolves, and bears.  

I know that A19 is still in experimental, but before it goes to stable, I wanted these new players' voices to be heard.

These new players don't even know that this forum exist, so I see their complaints and cries on twitter and  other areas.

I see comments like,

"So, A19b163's a game where you get attacked, not by zombies, but by dogs and bears.  This is really hard for me, when I only have primitive weapons to fight with."

"This patch is really hard for beginners.  I tried to fight from inside the trader compound because it was too hard, but the small wolf was able to slip in somehow.  When I tried to do a quest, I wasn't able to because a wolf was there.  I tried playing this build for a few hours, but it's too much.  I'm going back to A18."

"Please don't balance difficulty based on long time players.  This is just too much."

and more.

Damn, you guys weren't fu**ing around with animal spawns. 

I can see this being a pain in the @%$*#! 1st couple days in. Since I'm already on day 12 I'm aptly able to defend myself. 

I agree, it was nerfed a lil too much. Before this, I only saw one zombie bear, one dire wolf, and a few dogs. And thats in the last month since I started playing.

Just tonight I encountered 2 bears & a wolf in Diersville, a dire wolf, 2 mountain lions & a pack of dogs along with a zombie bear in the snow biome!! And that's just one game day, 90 min days. Holy sh*t fellas!!

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived