Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

18 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Not sure about that. I do agree with you that there are animals everywhere now and you won't ever run short of meat again. However, with the increased food consumption more animals come handy. And don't forget about the fact that not all animals are peaceful. Especially at the first few days I imagine it to be much more difficult now as you cannot really defend against wolves, dogs, bears etc. Even me on day 13 only engages a bear if there is something nearby where I can stand on top of. Otherwise a single bear would completely tear me apart (which is the way it should be). My guns are still too weak to take the bear out fast enough.

With the new patch nights are a bit darker again. Together with more animals nights are more dangerously now. I like the new changes very much so far.

I made it just fine last patch got my veg garden going I was set. I didn't need handy animals, its a survival game! Make it work or die!? Or is that not the point of survival games anymore? Does survival just mean that it will have food in it now?

I hope thats the case @meganoth

If the food balance is too hard to strike, maybe they can do something similar to how they hand blood moon zed counts in multiplayer.  Increase/Decrease animal counts based on the number of players logged in?  Just a thought...

...I suppose doing something like that would discourage exploration though since animal spawns would essentially be following each player/party.....unless they find a way to do it where it is also based on a chunk's activity.....

*shrugs* 

Just now, betam4x said:

I haven't played the latest build, but I'll add that animals were just right in the previous one. I'm wondering if the actual issue is due to some combination of SP, MP, local, dedicated, etc.

in the previous build even at night over a 9 week period in game, I saw 2 wolves, 1 bear, 6 deer. and the majority of meat I got was from bobs boars

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

in the previous build even at night over a 9 week period in game, I saw 2 wolves, 1 bear, 6 deer. and the majority of meat I got was from bobs boars

How often did you leave your comfort zone? It might be a spawn issue as well. I frequently travel to new areas since my respawn rate is set to 30 days.

2 minutes ago, betam4x said:

How often did you leave your comfort zone? It might be a spawn issue as well. I frequently travel to new areas since my respawn rate is set to 30 days.

I was always out at night, all night. wife handled the stuff in the base, I was the gatherer. I even broke down 15 rock outcroppings on the surface, purely at night. I also do my construction only at night. use the day time for questing

Just now, wolfbain5 said:

I was always out at night, all night. wife handled the stuff in the base, I was the gatherer. I even broke down 15 rock outcroppings on the surface, purely at night

In an SP game I've played as well as a local MP game (non-dedicated, not setting up a dedi for exp) I've encountered quite a few animals. The MP game was in Navezgane and the SP game was on Random gen. In both games animals were present, but not common. It's enough that I can keep a small amount of meat stocked...between animals and looting anyways.

Seems like the animal spawns need dialling back a touch but it's certainly an improvement. It's nice to actually see more variety around as well so I'm glad you changed that, I hadn't seen many bears around before.

39 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

the idea is to give another reason to go out of you're way to make good food aside from a stamina boost! (which would also be included)

Candy's would also be small boost to help out!

and if you're crazy you would just gorge you're self to become a super solder!

Better food gives a better stamina boost. If that together with needing to eat less often doesn't bring people to eat better food then nothing will (except OP buffs).

But I don't really care what Styk_ eats. I care whether food is a problem or a triviality at the start of a new game, and buff food doesn't help here either way.

2 minutes ago, Gromit said:

Seems like the animal spawns need dialling back a touch but it's certainly an improvement. It's nice to actually see more variety around as well so I'm glad you changed that, I hadn't seen many bears around before.

I loaded up a save from the previous build and there was a bear right outside my base! Scared me to death.

I imagine that a proper animal spawn would involve animals spawning aware from cities/towns and away from noise (like your base, though if you have that campfire going, I could definitely see a bear coming, but TBH a proper ecosystem would require an overhaul IMO).  The main animals I ran across in the previous build were vultures, pigs, deer, wolves, dogs, and a few mountain lions (specific to navezgane). I actually did not cross paths with a bear at all.

So the pattern I've seen every patch is meat available in the beginning and not long after there will be nothing. I've learned to prepare for it, meat was like your limited luxury that bought you time along with can'd food to get a garden going. I guess everyone needs to ask themselves does every game you start need to be a successful game? Is it still a survival game if every game you start will have a successful turnout? It makes all the sense in the world when you play permadeath, not every run will be a successful run and not every game start will provide you with the things you need, its up to you to decide wether or not thats a waste of time. 

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

well, died 3 times to wolves day 1. like the changes. died before noon. havent had that happen in a while

Okay, that sounds like it was a typical Madmole balancing change. True Survival has finally been incorporated into vanilla 😉

10 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Has anyone seen any bears yet? They were practically non-existent spawns before; ever since A17 really.

I played for maybe an hour and ran across 3 bears and 4 or 5 wolves (2 of which zombies killed before I could get to them) on my 2K run to a new trader.

8 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Words of wisdom to newbies...dire wolves look like regular wolves from a far.  What gives them away are their larger size and glowing eyes....

😜

I've just spent the night with Trader Jen. And I thought the wolves were feisty. ;) Trust me, you'll be fine.

Nevermind, I just woke up and I'm once again in my small, decrepit wooden shack completely alone. It was but a dream. 😢

1 minute ago, Gromit said:

Splints don't seem to work on sprains any more. Intentional?

Correct. They'll heal on their own with the proper care (try not to sprint, jump, etc. for sprained legs and don't try to attack with melee/ranged weapons with a sprained arm), but you'll be more susceptible to getting a broken arm/leg.

Archived