Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

I would like to think we would sit on the data and you would start to see changes by A20.

I think that would put this whole perks and who uses them to bed.  I also think that's probably the most accurate way to get a good feel for how the perk system is performing outside of use few forum goers and our feels.  I have been spec'd for all manner of things since A18 and A19 (rich in dukes!) and I certainly have found things entirely useless for me.  That's just for me though.

11 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

@Roland Now i'm scared of posting my Perk Rework haha. Just kidding, though it's going to be a long-*ss read.

Lengthy treatises are not the best way. He will most likely skim it if it too long. The main thing is to keep in mind that while TFP is open to feedback they do have a plan of their own already written up and they have a living document full of ideas that they have discussed and gathered-- so many that some of their favorites are already earmarked for the next game. Presenting them with a full re-work is probably not going to be openly and immediately accepted though there might be parts of it that will make an impact. The key is to do this for yourself because you enjoy thinking about game design and the exercise is inherently fun and interesting to you. That way if it is rejected in part or whole you won't be upset and start ranting that TFP doesn't listen to feedback.

You can also submit your idea in the discussions and requests subforum in the Modding forum. It might inspire a modder to implement your reworking of the perks and if so your dream will become a reality regardless of how much or how little Madmole may agree with you.

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

Lengthy treatises are not the best way. He will most likely skim it if it too long. The main thing is to keep in mind that while TFP is open to feedback they do have a plan of their own already written up and they have a living document full of ideas that they have discussed and gathered-- so many that some of their favorites are already earmarked for the next game. Presenting them with a full re-work is probably not going to be openly and immediately accepted though there might be parts of it that will make an impact. The key is to do this for yourself because you enjoy thinking about game design and the exercise is inherently fun and interesting to you. That way if it is rejected in part or whole you won't be upset and start ranting that TFP doesn't listen to feedback.

You can also submit your idea in the discussions and requests subforum in the Modding forum. It might inspire a modder to implement your reworking of the perks and if so your dream will become a reality regardless of how much or how little Madmole may agree with you.

So You're Telling Me There's A Chance | Jim Carrey | Know Your Meme

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

"The key is to do this for yourself because you enjoy thinking about game design and the exercise is inherently fun and interesting to you. That way if it is rejected in part or whole you won't be upset and start ranting that TFP doesn't listen to feedback." 

Well that's exactly what i do, i'm a game design student and I absolutely love analyzing and breaking down games, aswell as making game design documents (for my games and other games i like to play aswell). 

Although it's a  "remake" the changes aren't that drastic, but it can't be called a small tweak either.

As for lengthy, it's mostly in terms of word count, it has the same line of thought behind the current perks stats and descriptions, also written by topics (separated titles, subtitles, descriptions, stats, perk name...etc) so not an eye-sore to read.And yeah, I kind of already have that mentality of letting it go if the feedback isn't listened to, though i'm absolutely confident that these "minor changes" will improve everyone's gameplay and the devs will like them (if they haven't been thought of them already).

36 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Let's forget about this Tuna Fish Gravy on Toast and Spam/Sham/etc. rivalry, alright? The real dual to take sides on is margarine vs butter. ;)

Depends on what is cheaper, not a big butter or margarine fan for anything other than cooking myself. I prefer cream cheese.

25 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

nope, ground breakfast sausage

Fish with brown gravy over toast/biscuits/rice/rolls still beats it out in my book. Not that sausage gravy over toast or biscuits makes a bad meal. Just fish is better. :D 

19 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

you just stamped on my Favorite food!

i can't forgive you! wrench a mine!

When you learn the difference between a flintlock and a black powder muzzle loading pistol, then maybe.

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

Depends on what is cheaper, not a big butter or margarine fan for anything other than cooking myself. I prefer cream cheese.

Fish with brown gravy over toast/biscuits/rice/rolls still beats it out in my book. Not that sausage gravy over toast or biscuits makes a bad meal. Just fish is better. :D 

When you learn the difference between a flintlock and a black powder muzzle loading pistol, then maybe.

rofl. breach loader for the win! bah, cinnamon rolls with pecans and raisins 

12 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

"The key is to do this for yourself because you enjoy thinking about game design and the exercise is inherently fun and interesting to you. That way if it is rejected in part or whole you won't be upset and start ranting that TFP doesn't listen to feedback." 

Well that's exactly what i do, i'm a game design student and I absolutely love analyzing and breaking down games, aswell as making game design documents (for my games and other games i like to play aswell). 

Although it's a  "remake" the changes aren't that drastic, but it can't be called a small tweak either.

As for lengthy, it's mostly in terms of word count, it has the same line of thought behind the current perks stats and descriptions, also written by topics (separated titles, subtitles, descriptions, stats, perk name...etc) so not an eye-sore to read.And yeah, I kind of already have that mentality of letting it go if the feedback isn't listened to, though i'm absolutely confident that these "minor changes" will improve everyone's gameplay and the devs will like them (if they haven't been thought of them already).

The modding community are always looking for something new / different to make.  DF, RH, WotW, GNA, etc. are examples of complete overhauls of different game designs imo.  It is actually not uncommon for some ideas from the modding community to already be in the TFPs idea repository just not implemented for various reasons.

When Madmole said they were gearing up for gold, I doubted. After playing Alpha 19 for some time, I've become a believer. This game feels something like 90% done. Outside of bug fixes, the only areas I see that need improvement are Random Gen, the music system, and (maybe) storyline related lore.. It's both scary and sad that one day we won't have another Alpha to look forward to. I've been with this game since it came out of Kickstarter (I don't back things on Kickstarter). I've watched it evolve from a quirky fun early access game 

I'm sure some other people have other metrics they measure the game by. However, this game feels pretty close to complete to me. I personally hope Alpha 20 can wrap things up or get us almost all the way there. I also hope to see other games from The Pimps in the future....maybe another genre of game (like a Diablo style action RPG?) set in the 7DTD universe? Who knows.

Side Note: The music has definite Ultima vibes to it in some areas.

Just now, Laz Man said:

The modding community are always looking for something new / different to make.  DF, RH, WotW, GNA, etc. are examples of complete overhauls of different game designs imo.  It is actually not uncommon for some ideas from the modding community to already on the TFPs idea repository just not implemented for various reasons.

The main problem I have with mods is the fact that they depend on the core of the game. And it's obvious when they try something that doesn't work (like adding new weapons or zombies), since the base of the game doesn't support those new weapons (some weapons simply don't work with the current viewmodels or skeleton rigs). I'm not saying they did a bad work, the problem is that they can't do more simply because there's no tools for it.

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The modding community are always looking for something new / different to make.

Yes. Now that food and water bar mods are obsolete there is a real vaccuum. Just think, rather than someone doing yet another backpack mod someone might take RhinoW's perk ideas to heart and give us another overhaul to play with.

Just now, hiemfire said:

Ain't a breach loader but a pipe version of that might be neat. :D 

Hide contents

th?id=OIP.S-6B1n8fNF_5BEjIRpde7wHaDL%26p

he has to pack each cylinder. then he pops it open like a double barrel, removes a cylinder, and pops the next 6 round cylinder back in. so psuedobreach

4 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

The main problem I have with mods is the fact that they depend on the core of the game. And it's obvious when they try something that doesn't work (like adding new weapons or zombies), since the base of the game doesn't support those new weapons (some weapons simply don't work with the current viewmodels or skeleton rigs). I'm not saying they did a bad work, the problem is that they can't do more simply because there's no tools for it.

Agreed, there is a limitation to modding based on the tools available currently.  Especially XML modding versus DMT.  But as Roland has pointed out, its a place where new game design ideas (especially complete reworks) can become reality.  Whereas you may get little or no response at all from the game Devs.

Just now, wolfbain5 said:

he has to pack each cylinder. then he pops it open like a double barrel, removes a cylinder, and pops the next 6 round cylinder back in. so psuedobreach

That's basically standard revolver for Colts of the era... 

Archived