madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

I tried this the other day. I know the intended result, and I took zero damage because the wrench distance is pretty far, so I just got it to where the prompt would show then I harvested it. Boom, no damage. Now I can't say for sure NO damage, but I think I had 90% of my health or so when I did it, so if I did take any damage, it wasn't much. It is useful for setting off the mine without wasting ammo I guess. I don't know if I got lucky or what, because I almost die every time in that one POI where the zombie sets off the land mine in the hallway with the safe around the corner before you get to the hallway.

That's actually good info to know. :)

That POI fails to get me anymore, but one house always catches me off guard. As you make your way down a staircase to the ground floor, there lies a narrow hallway running the opposite direction to the right-hand side of the stairs, barricaded with barbed wire, spikes, and a row of landmines. Further along, a zombie lies in wait in a closet, so the moment you reach the bottom of the flight of stairs, the zombie is already on the landmines just inches away from you. That particular trap has gotten me a few times, one time almost causing my death as I did not have enough time to back off since it was, of all things, a spider zombie that had lunged out of the closet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

We have cut ammo in half, but I don't know if you guys got that patch yet.

I intend to change land mines to entities so you can get XP for them, I don't use them for that reason. We can always change the demolisher, but you could try putting land mines a LOT further away from your base, I mean I wouldn't want them blowing up near my base, when I used to use them they would be out in the fields just inside the spawn radius.

I noticed that if the mines are too far away, they dont blow up. set up channels for zeds to run through. barb wire was damaged, but the mines didnt go off. it was about the same distance that I stopped being able to see the lanterns.

6 minutes ago, meganoth said:

On horde night explosives work wonders, I agree. But there it is relatively easy to get lots of zombies piled up for the slaughter, especially because you can design the horde base specifically for that use case.

But I never tried to use grenades for clearing POIs and expect some difficulties in rounding up enough zombies in a convenient place so throwing grenades instead of simply shooting them makes sense.

oh thats easy, make noise along the outside wall. they will come to attack it en masse. then throw the explosive against it. the radius off effect penetrates the walls

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

We have cut ammo in half, but I don't know if you guys got that patch yet.

I intend to change land mines to entities so you can get XP for them, I don't use them for that reason. We can always change the demolisher, but you could try putting land mines a LOT further away from your base, I mean I wouldn't want them blowing up near my base, when I used to use them they would be out in the fields just inside the spawn radius.

Other than turrets, the only issue regarding the demolishers in terms of traps are blade traps; the demo's green button happens to rest at the exact height as the spinning blades of the trap, really no matter the orientation you place them in. They set them off almost every time, so I've stopped using them, and I'm far from the only one.

Long time lurker first time poster. Been playing since Alpha 13. Love this game to death! (pun intended) You guys have done such an amazing job with this game. I had this amazing feeling when riding on my motorcycle just how far this game has come and how enjoyable it's been.

Anyways onto why I posted. I saw you mention that in a future update you wanna allow players the chance to do previous tier quests so they weren't always forced to do tier 5. Is that something you'll add in Alpha 19 or a later Alpha? I'm super addicted to quests now and I can't wait to choose any tier of quests at anytime.

15 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Hey Joel! I'm currently writting down a game design document about the feedback of the perk system and my view of some perk tree tweaks and additions, would you be willing to take a look once i'm done with it? 

Feel free to post your feedback just like everyone else does. Well almost everyone else :D

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Other than turrets, the only issue regarding the demolishers in terms of traps are blade traps; the demo's green button happens to rest at the exact height as the spinning blades of the trap, really no matter the orientation you place them in. They set them off almost every time, so I've stopped using them, and I'm far from the only one.

ok, for that, try this. it ignores normal height zeds. tested today.

regular block

upside down blade trap

regular block

half slab, bottom oriented. head shots demos and wights. not chests

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

ok, for that, try this. it ignores normal height zeds. tested today.

blade trap

regular block

half slab, bottom oriented. head shots demos and wights. not chests

That's helpful, but not if 95% of zombies just walk by it.

10 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Madmole do you have any plans to release a new patch this week still? 

I don't release patches nor make plans for them. QA lets us know "when it's done". I did hear a little bird whisper about an upcoming patch hopefully before the weekend, but I don't like birds, they @%$*#! on my porch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

That's helpful, but not if 95% of zombies just walk by it.

nah, put it on the outer edge of defense with an electric fence going through it. almost kills every demo. the other traps then gets regular zeds

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

nah, put it on the outer edge of defense with an electric fence going through it. almost kills every demo. the other traps then gets regular zeds

Would you mind sharing an image? I'm a very visual person.

Edit: Regarding the placement of the blade traps.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, meganoth said:

On horde night explosives work wonders, I agree. But there it is relatively easy to get lots of zombies piled up for the slaughter, especially because you can design the horde base specifically for that use case.

But I never tried to use grenades for clearing POIs and expect some difficulties in rounding up enough zombies in a convenient place so throwing grenades instead of simply shooting them makes sense.

Depends what you feel is economical. As mentioned in my other post, as a perception guy you can gather boatloads of resources, so I'd have no problem spending a grenade on any more than 2 zombies. You can lay land mines in doorways too, but no xp, that will get fixed 20, and I think that will really help the perception guy. I just hip fire my sniper rifle point blank to the ones that are too close, the damage is so good they go down, and then save grenades for the big rooms.

4 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

oh thats easy, make noise along the outside wall. they will come to attack it en masse. then throw the explosive against it. the radius off effect penetrates the walls

That is a good idea. I just seem to remember that it is relatively difficult to wake up sleepers in houses if they are not directly on the other side of the wall but for example at the inner wall. I.e. the range seems very small because maybe sleepers in different chunks than yours have not been spawned at all and therefore won't wake up.

But lets see, I'll test that again.

16 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Madmole single handedly cured animal extinction with one patch!! No really, that's been a major issue for a few alphas for me, where animals are totally extinct by like day 2 or 3 and then you ride the struggle bus for the rest of the game trying to find meat.

Very welcome change!

Meh, food was fine but I conceded by adding more nasty animals and the majority will be chickens and bunnies so you'll either work for it or get wrecked. Dogs should be more lethal so beware :)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Would you mind sharing an image? I'm a very visual person.

Edit: Regarding the placement of the blade traps.

gimme a day, we stopped playing the mp for today and my personal game is still early.

test this at shamway factory. stand against the barred windows, shoot out the window with a blunderbus. wait 10 seconds or less. try explosives

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More stun and bleed are coming, those two staples seem to have left the building.

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Depends what you feel is economical. As mentioned in my other post, as a perception guy you can gather boatloads of resources, so I'd have no problem spending a grenade on any more than 2 zombies. You can lay land mines in doorways too, but no xp, that will get fixed 20, and I think that will really help the perception guy. I just hip fire my sniper rifle point blank to the ones that are too close, the damage is so good they go down, and then save grenades for the big rooms.

Exactly. And the hip-fire ability of the sniper started this discussion in the first place and is the reason a lot of people here are very happy that you will shrink the size of the sniper rifle on screen.

42 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

Even radiated Z's?

No, but because of the gamestage nerf I'm still getting normal Zs on day 25.   Sure bikers and soldiers take multiple hits, but it seems like the 4x hit points is gone and they have the same hit points as normal difficulties.

This makes the already bad difficulty curve far worse.

29 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Shotguns are ridiculously over powered atm, and depending on what you are using for melee, a lot of those will one shot with headshots too.It's the 50% dismember chance in action, you dismember their head and auto one shot. It's basically the only way you can even use some of the bad weapons like Machete and Stun Baton and Junk Sledge, just whack them on the head until you get your RNG dismember proc because they won't die otherwise.

It's not just shotguns, although I agree they are obscenely overpowered, but I can drop them in 2 or 3 shots from an AK despite having 0 skill points invested in autos.

The new critical system is basically just a nerf to all melee, so I'm not using any.   Too annoying to wander around with half health and an injury for 20mins.  At least before you could heal the black damage with a bandage, now you have to wait it out.

Posted (edited)

Pics with 1 and a 1/2 half block high blade traps. 2nd shows damage of 1 demolisher going off; he wasn't triggered by the trap, I set him off.

Edit: this setup hits all the tall zeds, demo/soldier/wight/etc

A18.4_2020-05-06_19-35-44.jpg

A18.4_2020-05-09_05-45-33.jpg

Edited by FileMachete (see edit history)

1 minute ago, FileMachete said:

Pics with 1 and a 1/2 half block high blade traps. 2nd shows damage of 1 demolisher going off; he wasn't triggered by the trap, I set him off.

A18.4_2020-05-06_19-35-44.jpg

A18.4_2020-05-09_05-45-33.jpg

yep this

34 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Haha no, i just haven't reported that bug because it's honestly hilarious and very situational. This document does include 1958 words currently, and i'm still at the pummel pete perk of strength (perception has been dealt with) :D

Not sure what bug u mean as both pipe bombs and dynamite did damage to me when I tested them.

Added night is darker when the moon is not full.

There are 7 moon phases, so 7 variations of darkness now.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, TyronePowers68 said:

Will the arrow slit exploit be fixed in future A19 patches? (zombies will not pass over arrow slits)

I know about it. Probably be fixed some day, but not a high priority.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, meganoth said:

That is a good idea. I just seem to remember that it is relatively difficult to wake up sleepers in houses if they are not directly on the other side of the wall but for example at the inner wall. I.e. the range seems very small because maybe sleepers in different chunks than yours have not been spawned at all and therefore won't wake up.

But lets see, I'll test that again.

It depends on the type of sleeper config is used but banging the outside should walkers up a few probably.

52 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Don't know how you play. But if you have an ammo-intensive play style and still don't need to work for your ammo then the game isn't balanced well in that regard.

Usually just use pistol and very rarely have to craft 9mm. Carry shotgun but only use for big groups. If I craft any it's 7.62 and only use for horde knight with AK. M60 i only use if I decide to run around in street on horde night.

23 hours ago, Khalagar said:

>_>

This is literally the exact opposite of what you said when I was complaining about the Int tree not having an end game melee weapon lol. You and Gazz I believe said "Just use melee from a different tree end game" basically.

You're going to have a bad time if you're expecting consistency from a company that dramatically alters their game every time Bethesda releases a mainline game.

• Dislike 1
  • Poop 1