Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

nah, put it on the outer edge of defense with an electric fence going through it. almost kills every demo. the other traps then gets regular zeds

Would you mind sharing an image? I'm a very visual person.

Edit: Regarding the placement of the blade traps.

12 minutes ago, meganoth said:

On horde night explosives work wonders, I agree. But there it is relatively easy to get lots of zombies piled up for the slaughter, especially because you can design the horde base specifically for that use case.

But I never tried to use grenades for clearing POIs and expect some difficulties in rounding up enough zombies in a convenient place so throwing grenades instead of simply shooting them makes sense.

Depends what you feel is economical. As mentioned in my other post, as a perception guy you can gather boatloads of resources, so I'd have no problem spending a grenade on any more than 2 zombies. You can lay land mines in doorways too, but no xp, that will get fixed 20, and I think that will really help the perception guy. I just hip fire my sniper rifle point blank to the ones that are too close, the damage is so good they go down, and then save grenades for the big rooms.

4 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

oh thats easy, make noise along the outside wall. they will come to attack it en masse. then throw the explosive against it. the radius off effect penetrates the walls

That is a good idea. I just seem to remember that it is relatively difficult to wake up sleepers in houses if they are not directly on the other side of the wall but for example at the inner wall. I.e. the range seems very small because maybe sleepers in different chunks than yours have not been spawned at all and therefore won't wake up.

But lets see, I'll test that again.

16 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Madmole single handedly cured animal extinction with one patch!! No really, that's been a major issue for a few alphas for me, where animals are totally extinct by like day 2 or 3 and then you ride the struggle bus for the rest of the game trying to find meat.

Very welcome change!

Meh, food was fine but I conceded by adding more nasty animals and the majority will be chickens and bunnies so you'll either work for it or get wrecked. Dogs should be more lethal so beware :)

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Would you mind sharing an image? I'm a very visual person.

Edit: Regarding the placement of the blade traps.

gimme a day, we stopped playing the mp for today and my personal game is still early.

test this at shamway factory. stand against the barred windows, shoot out the window with a blunderbus. wait 10 seconds or less. try explosives

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Depends what you feel is economical. As mentioned in my other post, as a perception guy you can gather boatloads of resources, so I'd have no problem spending a grenade on any more than 2 zombies. You can lay land mines in doorways too, but no xp, that will get fixed 20, and I think that will really help the perception guy. I just hip fire my sniper rifle point blank to the ones that are too close, the damage is so good they go down, and then save grenades for the big rooms.

Exactly. And the hip-fire ability of the sniper started this discussion in the first place and is the reason a lot of people here are very happy that you will shrink the size of the sniper rifle on screen.

42 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

Even radiated Z's?

No, but because of the gamestage nerf I'm still getting normal Zs on day 25.   Sure bikers and soldiers take multiple hits, but it seems like the 4x hit points is gone and they have the same hit points as normal difficulties.

This makes the already bad difficulty curve far worse.

29 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Shotguns are ridiculously over powered atm, and depending on what you are using for melee, a lot of those will one shot with headshots too.It's the 50% dismember chance in action, you dismember their head and auto one shot. It's basically the only way you can even use some of the bad weapons like Machete and Stun Baton and Junk Sledge, just whack them on the head until you get your RNG dismember proc because they won't die otherwise.

It's not just shotguns, although I agree they are obscenely overpowered, but I can drop them in 2 or 3 shots from an AK despite having 0 skill points invested in autos.

The new critical system is basically just a nerf to all melee, so I'm not using any.   Too annoying to wander around with half health and an injury for 20mins.  At least before you could heal the black damage with a bandage, now you have to wait it out.

34 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

Haha no, i just haven't reported that bug because it's honestly hilarious and very situational. This document does include 1958 words currently, and i'm still at the pummel pete perk of strength (perception has been dealt with) :D

Not sure what bug u mean as both pipe bombs and dynamite did damage to me when I tested them.

Added night is darker when the moon is not full.

There are 7 moon phases, so 7 variations of darkness now.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, TyronePowers68 said:

Will the arrow slit exploit be fixed in future A19 patches? (zombies will not pass over arrow slits)

I know about it. Probably be fixed some day, but not a high priority.

20 minutes ago, meganoth said:

That is a good idea. I just seem to remember that it is relatively difficult to wake up sleepers in houses if they are not directly on the other side of the wall but for example at the inner wall. I.e. the range seems very small because maybe sleepers in different chunks than yours have not been spawned at all and therefore won't wake up.

But lets see, I'll test that again.

It depends on the type of sleeper config is used but banging the outside should walkers up a few probably.

52 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Don't know how you play. But if you have an ammo-intensive play style and still don't need to work for your ammo then the game isn't balanced well in that regard.

Usually just use pistol and very rarely have to craft 9mm. Carry shotgun but only use for big groups. If I craft any it's 7.62 and only use for horde knight with AK. M60 i only use if I decide to run around in street on horde night.

23 hours ago, Khalagar said:

>_>

This is literally the exact opposite of what you said when I was complaining about the Int tree not having an end game melee weapon lol. You and Gazz I believe said "Just use melee from a different tree end game" basically.

You're going to have a bad time if you're expecting consistency from a company that dramatically alters their game every time Bethesda releases a mainline game.

32 minutes ago, Fierystar88 said:

Anyways onto why I posted. I saw you mention that in a future update you wanna allow players the chance to do previous tier quests so they weren't always forced to do tier 5. Is that something you'll add in Alpha 19 or a later Alpha? I'm super addicted to quests now and I can't wait to choose any tier of quests at anytime.

This is something I'm still struggling with and why I just took a break. They didn't want everyone doing only fetch quests for Tier 5's, but didn't fix why people only did fetch quests for tier 5's, and just removed the option instead.

I've cleared Shotgun Messiah like 4 times already in the last week. It takes a full day, and the rewards just aren't that great. I've literally been better off just doing any Tier 2 or 3 Tier 3 fetch that show up in the list instead because I can knock out several in a day easily and I end up with way more overall rewards.

So far, there are at least  3 Shotgun Messiah within 1.5km of me, so basically the only quests I get are to go clear it or the Shamway place, ughhhh. I'd kill to at least have a hospital near me for a bit more variety

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

This is something I'm still struggling with and why I just took a break. They didn't want everyone doing only fetch quests for Tier 5's, but didn't fix why people only did fetch quests for tier 5's, and just removed the option instead.

I've cleared Shotgun Messiah like 4 times already in the last week. It takes a full day, and the rewards just aren't that great. I've literally been better off just doing any Tier 2 or 3 Tier 3 fetch that show up in the list instead because I can knock out several in a day easily and I end up with way more overall rewards.

So far, there are at least  3 Shotgun Messiah within 1.5km of me, so basically the only quests I get are to go clear it or the Shamway place, ughhhh. I'd kill to at least have a hospital near me for a bit more variety

You playing RWG?  If so what's your seed? 4k or 8k?

8 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

RWG, 8K I believe. Which config shows your seed settings?

AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\GeneratedWorlds\ 

then open the folder for the world and look for the GenerationInfo.txt. That contains the map seed.

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Look into your logfiles. Everything you ever wanted to know about your game but were afraid to ask is in there

The seed doesn't populate in the output log. It always shows as blank in mine. It also doesn't show the correct world size, always says that it's an 8k map when I almost always play on 4k maps.

Out of the blue:

Spotlights still project light through blocks. 

Armor progression doesn't feel right for crafting. Lower tier level 6 armor should be obtained before max X and max X. Mods have always been more important than the other benefits.  Only being able to craft level 6 leather when I can craft level 6 military armor may be something to look at?

Just an observation. Plz don't rake me over the coals.  

Archived