Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, madmole said:

Please read the patch notes. RWG will get improved in the future.

I did, and I know it's getting better whenever Robert has the time and help he needs to do so, but what I don't understand is why it changed from the previous alpha so abruptly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

I did, and I know it's getting better whenever Robert has the time and help he needs to do so, but what I don't understand is why it changed from the previous alpha so abruptly

Dont worry, they have a "strike team" on it already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damocles said:

Dont worry, they have a "strike team" on it already.

Swat GIFs | Tenor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, madmole said:

nerdy soft hands

Madmole gets me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Roland said:

Madmole gets me.

I have hair on my palms...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

I did, and I know it's getting better whenever Robert has the time and help he needs to do so, but what I don't understand is why it changed from the previous alpha so abruptly

In what way?  Janky roads and cliffs have been in RWG for as long as I can remember...

 

In A19 POI distribute looks better and forest biome centralized to help new players and what I assume is a synergy with the new trader to trader quests...

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

In what way?  Janky roads and cliffs have been in RWG for as long as I can remember...

I didn't found any on the 4 worlds I generated on Alpha 18.4, maybe they were there, but I didn't find them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

In A19 POI distribute looks better and forest biome centralized to help new players and what I assume is a synergy with the new trader to trader quests...

Yeah I love A19's POI placement, I'm just talking about roads and huge cliffs in the middle of them, I'll post a couple screenshots when I get home from work to show what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Laz Man said:

You bring up a good point madmole.  My brother made me a tuna gravy toast yesterday and was surprised the food replenishment was 90.  I can see how much you unlocking those, the hunger issue goes away pretty quickly.

 

I like how as a player there is an urgency to make better foods or reach the whining stage...Sounds like what most people would do in an actual apocalypse LOL....

 

"What do you mean i can't go to the grocery store on the corner and get all the food I need?"

 Wait til you see the spaghetti one...122 food!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't post a very much but I would like to voice my opinion about A19.

The new progression system with the Stone - Iron - Steel ages is really awesome.  I don't get why people are complaining about getting stone tools and weapons in every crate, box and safe.  That's the point to progressively get better tools and weapons in the stage you're in.  The game used to be over for me quickly because I would get iron and steel tools/weapons in the same first town.  Now I look at a new game as this first city is my stone age city and by the time you've looted the 15 or so buildings plus all the zombies you've killed plus all the stuff you have built, you will be in iron stage of game and can move on to a new city, which will be the iron stage city and so on and so forth.

So, do I mind opening all these crates, boxes and safes to get stone stuff?  No, because there are 100's more in other cities to open that will give me iron and steel later in the game.  This was a brilliant step in the right direction.  Way to go FP.

  • Like 7
  • Knuckle Rub 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trankitas said:

Roads leading nowhere, roads with cliffs, crazy unnatural meadows, this didn't happened in A18.4 at all.

Is there any changes made to RWG? or what?

So you want boring maps instead? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

You are falsely assuming that agility should be about stealth.

 

Nobody likes stealth, literally nobody, and you're desperate to pretend it belongs. Stealth means nothing, when you have scripted zombies falling through ceilings, immediately detecting you regardless of your "stealth".

 

There are always two kinds of stealth...one where no one is alerted to your presence, and one where no one is alive to raise the alarm. You don't have to be all 'sneaky sneak' to benefit from stealth perks. 3.5x damage multiplier on crouch shots at an incoming herd at range, HELL YES.

 

Also the comments that @MechanicalLens and @Phoenixshade35 have already made.

Edited by LilMissNorti (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, madmole said:

Inconsistencies aren't good.

By that reasoning books are inconsistencies. I mostly agree that the current system is "good enough" for gold, but what if you design new perks? Are you gonna clutter the hell out of 10 pages per attribute or are you going to just move the MUST HAVE ones to another page in order to make the game more interesting? 

 

You reduced "needs" which is good. But make no mistake, if you mine you MUST perk into it because you can't even hold an iron pick for more than a few seconds. Isn't that perk a MUST have then? Wouldn't it be better to have it in that supposed "general" page along with tools, cultivation, schematics... etc? It'll still be a must have but at least you won't be trying to solve the squared triangle equation and you can call those perks for what they are : " must haves if I do X" unlike weapon perks that we can very well do without. No problem.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't post a very much but I would like to voice my opinion about A19.

The new progression system with the Stone - Iron - Steel ages is really awesome.  I don't get why people are complaining about getting stone tools and weapons in every crate, box and safe.  That's the point to progressively get better tools and weapons in the stage you're in.  The game used to be over for me quickly because I would get iron and steel tools/weapons in the same first town.  Now I look at a new game as this first city is my stone age city and by the time you've looted the 15 or so buildings plus all the zombies you've killed plus all the stuff you have built, you will be in iron stage of game and can move on to a new city, which will be the iron stage city and so on and so forth.

So, do I mind opening all these crates, boxes and safes to get stone stuff?  No, because there are 100's more in other cities to open that will give me iron and steel later in the game.  This was a brilliant step in the right direction.  Way to go FP.

So stop posting and get our game loaded up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just fought the day 21 horde. Intense stuff. 😶 I really need to stop stressing myself out like this. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trankitas said:

Roads leading nowhere, roads with cliffs, crazy unnatural meadows, this didn't happened in A18.4 at all.

Is there any changes made to RWG? or what?

Got few of these things in my seed, I like mine better than the one in A18 for some reason so far. 

 

A small spike in the terrain(8x20blocks or near that), which I leveled and a bigger where the road goes up, made a ramp (a big one using wedges and so on). Looks good.

 

Not sure if every road should be connected with another, we have many examples, where roads end up near a mauntain villa irl, or in the dessert. Its good, man. 

I really miss the bigass cliffs, like in A12 or early tho, that was fun 😆

 

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I just fought the day 21 horde. Intense stuff. 😶 I really need to stop stressing myself out like this. 😛

What happened ?😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

  

  

7 hours ago, hiddenyak said:

Why does the sniper rifle now show a huge smoke animation over the crosshair when firing with scope? It's so jarring and distracting. Is there a way I can manually remove this?

 

Thisssss

 

It makes the Sniper kind of bad as a main weapon. I really want to use the Sniper but it has two gigantic flaws, one of which, is that it's freaking GIGANTIC and blocks like a solid 30% of your screen when using it even on high FoV. I saw a few streamers even specifically mention that as the reason they stopped using it. The smoke / bullet casing flying out when you shoot makes it really hard to shoot repeated shots too

 

Can we get the model toned down to like, 60% size or smaller, so it's more in line with everything else and doesn't leave you completely blind to attacks from the side of the screen when you are walking around with the weapon equipped?

 

6 hours ago, madmole said:

The idea is to make a fairly interesting build neatly governed by one attribute.

 

>_>

 

This is literally the exact opposite of what you said when I was complaining about the Int tree not having an end game melee weapon lol. You and Gazz I believe said "Just use melee from a different tree end game" basically.

 

I'm still testing the Sledge and Turrets, but I kinda feel like Int in general is really a bit weak end game. Dual Turrets just can't output the damage of an Auto Shottie,  but I guess you could just chalk that up to the Auto Shottie being ridiculously broken

 

I tried Stun Baton again but it's still terribad, and I've spent nearly the whole play through trying to test the Junk Sledge to find ways to make it good in handheld but it just isn't. It ragdolls zombies away without killing them, so you spend 30-45+ seconds chasing them around trying to tickle them to death while the junk sledge slides them around like they are on ice. Not even exaggerating, if you don't get the RNG dismember chance on a headshot,it's insane.

 

With a fully modded Junk Sledge with a burning shaft mod, and max Tech Junkie Perk and the damage buffs from the magazine, on the second hardest difficulty I chased a non-irradiated non-feral Biker around for about 45 seconds like a Benny Hill skit peppering him with junk sledge shots while he flew away from me

 

 

6 hours ago, madmole said:

Because 1 guy is crying we reinvent a system?

 

I mean, it's a pretty common sentiment that the attributes not actually improving your, y'know, base attributes, and instead being tied to gun damage is a really questionable system. Not sure about the rest of his stuff though, he kind of went off the deep end while I was asleep.

 

I agree that it's silly to lock how good you are at mining behind . . . how much shotgun damage you do. Especially if you don't use shotguns, it's just flat out wasted points. It would be very nice if the base attributes themselves actually gave something that's always useful on it's own

 

 

 

Anyway though, complaints about snipers the size of dump trunks and the Junk Sledge Complaints Round 45™ aside , having a blast in A19. The stamina and food stuff is bearable later on, it just requires a hefty change of play style, which isn't always a bad thing.

 

Part of my food issues are that I'm playing Coop with an ADHD Run and Gun Never Craft or Mine Ever™ player so I basically have to provide enough food for 2 people. I don't think the game should be balanced around multiplayer, but at the same time, the "Den mother" play style is a pretty popular one we miners get saddled with and it's kinda hard in A19 because of how many things are tied behind looting / quests like all the parts you can't convince a PUBG player to pick up when they are holding down W and M1 and not looting anything that isn't a gun or bullet

 

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, beerfly said:

What happened ?😄

Under Images and Videos. 😛 Shameless self plug.

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

>_>

 

 

Best reaction of the day. 😛 I can sense your frustration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@faatalCould you make it possible for us to change the weapon reload sounds.

In the XML <property name="Sound_reload" value=""/> Does Nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

  

  

 

Thisssss

 

It makes the Sniper kind of bad as a main weapon. I really want to use the Sniper but it has two gigantic flaws, one of which, is that it's freaking GIGANTIC and blocks like a solid 30% of your screen when using it even on high FoV. I saw a few streamers even specifically mention that as the reason they stopped using it. The smoke / bullet casing flying out when you shoot makes it really hard to shoot repeated shots too

 

Can we get the model toned down to like, 60% size or smaller, so it's more in line with everything else and doesn't leave you completely blind to attacks from the side of the screen when you are walking around with the weapon equipped?

 

 

>_>

 

This is literally the exact opposite of what you said when I was complaining about the Int tree not having an end game melee weapon lol. You and Gazz I believe said "Just use melee from a different tree end game" basically.

 

I'm still testing the Sledge and Turrets, but I kinda feel like Int in general is really a bit weak end game. Dual Turrets just can't output the damage of an Auto Shottie,  but I guess you could just chalk that up to the Auto Shottie being ridiculously broken

 

I tried Stun Baton again but it's still terribad, and I've spent nearly the whole play through trying to test the Junk Sledge to find ways to make it good in handheld but it just isn't. It ragdolls zombies away without killing them, so you spend 30-45+ seconds chasing them around trying to tickle them to death while the junk sledge slides them around like they are on ice. Not even exaggerating, if you don't get the RNG dismember chance on a headshot, I chased a Biker around for about 45 seconds like a Benny Hill skit peppering him with junk sledge shots while he flew away from me

 

 

 

I mean, it's a pretty common sentiment that the attributes not actually improving your, y'know, base attributes, and instead being tied to gun damage is a really questionable system. Not sure about the rest of his stuff though.

 

I agree that it's silly to lock how good you are at mining behind . . . how much shotgun damage you do. Especially if you don't use shotguns, it's just flat out wasted points. It would be very nice if the base attributes themselves actually gave something that's always useful on it's own

 

 

 

Anyway though, complaints about snipers the size of dump trunks and the Junk Sledge Complaints Round 45™, having a blast in A19. The stamina and food stuff is bearable later on, it just requires a hefty change of play style, which isn't always a bad thing.

 

Part of my food issues are that I'm playing Coop with an ADHD Run and Gun Never Craft or Mine Ever™ player so I basically have to provide enough food for 2 people. I don't think the game should be balanced around multiplayer, but at the same time, the "Den mother" play style is a pretty popular one we miners get saddled with and it's kinda hard in A19 because of how many things are tied behind looting / quests like all the parts you can't convince a PUBG player to pick up when they are holding down W and M1 and not looting anything that isn't a gun or bullet

 

Blame the community.  They wanted a beefy sniper like the .50 barrett's so TFPs gave us a gigantic sniper rifle lol.  Also not sure if intended but when fired has a puff of smoke like a howitzer lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

Hey @madmole i have a thought for a book series in the game, what if we made a book that helped to improve the stacks of ammo we can carry with a description like.....

 

Surviving in the apocolypse has taught me much, including how to better pack your ammo, now you can carry 25% more of .... ammo, could also be used for other types of items as well, what do you think?

I don't know how easy it is to do such a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello new to the form! Just wanted to ask about the looting change in Alpha 19. I am a player that plays with inventory loss on death so the old system felt good since I could loot great equipment only to lose it from a careless mistake. I am wondering about the new progression system because I worry by lategame I will only find high quality strong equipment which may make gameplay feel more samey than I am used to. How do players that play with loss of items on death feel about the new loot changes? 

Edit: I know that's a very specific playstyle so I understand if changes don't cater to it. I just like when death has high risks and worry those risks will be less felt when I am a higher level due to possibly having an easier time finding strong equipment from everything I loot.

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

  

  

 

Thisssss

 

It makes the Sniper kind of bad as a main weapon. I really want to use the Sniper but it has two gigantic flaws, one of which, is that it's freaking GIGANTIC and blocks like a solid 30% of your screen when using it even on high FoV. I saw a few streamers even specifically mention that as the reason they stopped using it. The smoke / bullet casing flying out when you shoot makes it really hard to shoot repeated shots too

 

Can we get the model toned down to like, 60% size or smaller, so it's more in line with everything else and doesn't leave you completely blind to attacks from the side of the screen when you are walking around with the weapon equipped?

 

 

 

only if we can also tone down the steel knuckles to something a little less resembling "10 Swiss army knives filling my screen" making it impossible to see, let alone hit my enemy.

Edited by LilMissNorti (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also I want to add that I enjoy that the game funnels you into certain weapon types based on other things you want to do. 

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nope, that wouldn't solve anything, since you would be forced to use a bow to gain the additional benefit. I suggest conjuring up small, passive bonuses that are by no means situational or overpowered. Some of your suggestions were the latter unfortunately. 😛

 

Examples:

 

Perception: +1% looting speed per rank

Strength: -2% stamina loss while power attacking with tools per rank (or +1% damage to stunned or knocked down enemies per rank)

Fortitude: +1% stamina regeneration while sprinting per rank

Agility: +1% movement speed per rank

Intellect: +1% crafting speed per rank

Movement speed for any attribute I feel would make it feel quite mandatory. I think the system they are using now is better than this as weapon boosts per perk point. Your ideal weapon type being determined by other things you want to do on the character is fun to me. 

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

Also I want to add that I enjoy that the game funnels you into certain weapon types based on other things you want to do. 

Movement speed for any attribute I feel would make it feel quite mandatory. I think the system they are using now is better than this as weapon boosts per perk point. Your ideal weapon type being determined by other things you want to do on the character is fun to me. 

1. I was spitballing. +1% movement speed per rank is a bit OP when I look at it, yeah.

2. These wouldn't replace the current system.

3. As for why I'm suggesting this, you can find the answer a few pages back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...