Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Yes please lets stop asking for random bs and talk about what is announced. I know it isn't a lot to talk about but spamming feature requests is really just going to drive me off the forum.

I think we might need you to kickstart some area of focus to start a real discussion. I'm looking at the list and I am having a hard time thinking of something to say about it. Some details about a specific book or a specific vehicle mod idea would be good.

Also, not sure why (false sense of security?), but I have had more jump scares in this alpha than the entire 2 years or so I've been playing this game.

I kinda wish there was some reverb added to zombie sounds when they are farther away for a more realistic representation of audio cues (and more footsteps), so I don't have to do laundry so often. Neebs adds reverb for a nice theatrical effect. I think the added audio space would be nice, but it's also kind of awesome the way it is, if you ignore the heart attacks.

But it does sound like they are right behind me when they are yards away....then they are right behind me at other times with no notice, no telegraph. Sneaky bastards.

Madmole

can we get it so that the motion sensors can detect movement past bullet proof glass? I tried to protect the camera with it, but the result was the zeds going by without activating it

edit: just seems to be an oversight or glitch. zeds can detect us though glass, so stands to reason that a camera or motion sensor could as well

Don`t tease me with snow, man. I love winter and will even take advantage of latest faatal`s additions for some settings in 18.2 (when have time to), to see how long gonna survive in winter biome only, insane, 120min/day, SP, notnomad style.

#backontopicnow

You can use the Nitrogen tool to make a snow-only world!

I don't think a lot here understand what this is about.

The A19 dev diary is mostly about the announced features.

Lists upon list of things you want added? That belongs in the Pimp Dreams forum.

Thread has now been optimized. Further pimp dreams posts will be added to the running pimp dreams thread now in place. I'll be keeping things close to topic at least until the new car smell has worn off. Shenanigans of the last months of the A18 thread will be......terminated.

Thread has now been optimized. Further pimp dreams posts will be added to the running pimp dreams thread now in place. I'll be keeping things close to topic at least until the new car smell has worn off. Shenanigans of the last months of the A18 thread will be......terminated.

Was I off-topic? My post has been edited but I can't remember what I might have said that would need editing...

You quoted some off-topic shenanigans and since the original was removed your quote would make no sense. Only that was removed. Your actual communication to Madmole was left alone. Put another way we both can appreciate: The HUD indicators were removed so Madmole could have a clear view of the world you were playing in... ;) --Roland

Is it planned to work on adding a mask to towns & cities so that related gamestage and spawning rules can be finetuned in the xml ? I know it's not on the list but you've talked about this in the close past, and I think quite a lot of people want this, but unless I'm wrong it's not yet doable even by mods.

Don't be so.. hard.. on us, Roland.

Don't be so.. flaccid.. on the rules, DaVega.

My eyes are absolutely fine, thank you.

You could just admit it was a poor decision. :p

And the assumption no-one wants the old farming is also incorrect. SOME people don't. SOME people prefer the new. SOME prefer the old.

It also completely breaks adding further biomes for modders due to the topsoil replacement nonsense... but that's getting out of scope.

will no one think of the terrain blending!!!!!

yo, MM, the tiling on the terrain sucks, fix it. I would but you know, I cant get to the textures no more....

you where wrong.... stainless steel does not rust.... normal steel does.

Actually you are wrong, stainless steel does rust as well as chrome. ;) lol.... :) its complicated but basically yes it does rust if you truely break down the science behind rusting. The only metals I can think of off the top of my head that does not rust at all and never will are Gold, silver and platinum.

Ferric oxide doesn’t form a continuous layer on the steel because the oxide molecule has a larger volume than the underlying iron atoms, and eventually spalls off leaving fresh steel exposed which then starts a deleterious rusting cycle. When stainless steel is exposed to oxygen, chromium oxide is created on the surface of the steel because chromium has a very strong affinity for oxygen.

The chromium oxide is a very thin layer which doesn’t spall off, and it prevents further oxidation of the stainless steel. Even if stainless steel is scratched and the chromium oxide layer is removed, a new chromium oxide layer will form and protect the rest of the stainless steel beneath it. As long as there is sufficient chromium present, the chromium oxide layer will continue to protect the stainless steel and prevent it from rusting..or at least what we call not rusting but it still is regardless.

A less common form of rusting in stainless steel is after the stainless has been exposed to very high temperatures, often in the 750-1550°F range (400-850°C)1. This type of corrosion is often seen in welding applications in which stainless is heated and then cooled. If this happens, “sensitization” can occur which is where the carbon and the chromium bond together in the stainless steel and form carbides.

These carbides situate themselves at the stainless steel grain boundaries, and the grain boundaries become deficient of chromium. With lower chromium concentrations at the grain boundaries, the chromium oxide protective layer can become discontinuous and rusting becomes possible. “Sensitization” can ruin stainless steel forever; however the damage can sometimes be mitigated with complex heat treating.

No it doesn't. Adding an alchemy set though is redundant. We already have a beaker in the campfire for primitive alchemy and a chem station for advanced alchemy.

Glad to hear that a stove idea is still alive. I agree there is no need for upgrade on the chem station.

I have always liked the idea of an advanced forge, but the benefits it would provide, like making steel, faster crafting and that is covered by the mods for the current forge. Honestly the forge feels too simplistic now however. I get the idea of not wanted to lock items behind having to find an item like calipers or a tool-n-die set, but it felt better to need extra tools to make more complex items.

What does vehicle collision system mean? Vehicles already collide with everything when I’m driving lol. Is it in support of the breakdowns?

You collide with the objects but not much happens. Actually you only stop.

I suppose the collision system has a more realistic approach to what happens next. When you are hitting a rock at full speed you're probably ending on the ground and suffer serious injuries. The vehicle will probably also be badly damaged.

I hope the system comes along with a better road system. Currently you often have to make huge detours when you stay on the road.

It'll be interesting to see how vehicle damage pans out - if they're going to go into "specifics" like having a busted radiator or headlights from a frontal impact, a flat tire from driving over junk, broken oil pan / engine from a bottom front impact etc. or if everything will just require repair kits to get going again. :)

Also eagerly waiting for more info on the tech junkie book series - I hope there's going to be new gadgets we can craft!

In regards to vehicles and the ability to pick them up and whatnot.

I would also like to see the ability to pick a vehicle back up removed and rather gain the ability to “push” the vehicle free from an obstacle.

Say you get stuck, hold a key or use an item and the vehicle moves 3-4 blocks and gets unstuck. Much like in some MMOs where a /stuck command teleports you a bit.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived