Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

@MM

One giant Question i have is about the new look for zombies.

Are all of them staying or are some going to get axed??

when you guys said that you want more generic zombies, so are some zombies like Solders , hazmat , Construction workers , bikers etc

are they just going to get updated or axed. (note: not mentioning Football and Cheerleader zombies due to what you said a while back)

Its determined on a case by case basis. What you said and probably basic stuff, like "what can we do to get more miles out of this zombie" such as the lumberjack? Simple, defrost him and he works in the forests too.

???

Not everyone thinks the absurd is fun.

what is this unhealthy craving for drugs?

Wait. Are you telling me that you do not have a constant craving for drugs? Lucky you :')

Btw, what's more absurd than a nuclear zombie apocalypse? Chances for that happening are probably lower than chances for pharmaceutical wonderdrugs.

Edited by ecv (see edit history)

Its candy or something packaged in a candy box. Tallahassee in Zombieland needed his twinkies. Jeez go troll some other game you always ruin the god damn creative vibe here.

I won't go, i'll be here.

Your absurdity is still better than the monotony of other games.

So far...

Btw, what's more absurd than a nuclear zombie apocalypse? Chances for that happening are probably lower than chances for pharmaceutical wonderdrugs.

It's the same thing every time...

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

Its determined on a case by case basis. What you said and probably basic stuff, like "what can we do to get more miles out of this zombie" such as the lumberjack? Simple, defrost him and he works in the forests too.

so basically. if a zombie can fit in many roles , say the lumberjack he could fit in a few places like the snow forest or pine forest. and stuff like soldiers and hazmat teams can fit in too.

i really don't know to describe it. say the scientist zombie, are they going to get a new look or get a change where they are just "unrecognisable" so you couldn't tell who they were they can fit in more roles??

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Explanation:

Each experimental is a stage in the growing up of a mature stable. The infant 18.0 grows up into a young boy of 18.1, enters puberty in 18.2 and is still called a minor experimental when it celebrates its 18,3'th birthday. The next day everyone recognizes him as a stable adult, even though he is the same code as yesterday, just one day older.

As an adult he will never change, stable is stable. Along comes a new baby, she will be called 19.0

:cocksure:

Oh ok now i get it everyone was brought by storks making sex ed completely pointless and fake news. got it thx.

Maybe TFP can use SnowDog as the voice-actor for one of the new traders?

I mean.. I would buy stuff at his place :) Who wouldn't??

it would be funny if there was a newspaper in-game that says "Navezgane Perv Strikes Again!"

he was employed by trader Joels (named trader snow), and he wears a Pimp hat, purple leather duster, a Cigar and some pimp sunglasses.

and his camp looks like he wanted to make his own strip club.

Oh ok now i get it everyone was brought by storks making sex ed completely pointless and fake news. got it thx.

First of all I made a mistake and called 18.1 an experimental even though it is a minor stable. Arrrgh. So yes, fake news at its best. :cocksure:

The analogy is a bit ridiculous but I had hoped it would also give you the impression that all the experimentals are just relatively unimportant intermediate steps that culminate into a stable. Just like all the minor stables culminate into major stables and major stables culminate into the release version. And in each case the latest version of a lower-level stage is promoted to higher-level stage after it is deemed "worthy" or stable enough.

And the reason nothing is changed before a promotion is that the lower-level version should have been tested extensively by testers AND a larger group of players. If for example TFP would release 18.3b5 directly as a stable before showing it as an experimental for a while, all the changes between 18.3b3 and 18.3b5 would have never been tested against players. Since those changes most likely introduced new bugs the stable would not be a stable.

Hmm how might I get access to the games' VO clips?

If you look in sounds.xml, you can see what's being planned. It looks SUPER interesting.

The current voices will probably be one of the male traders, everyone else is getting redone with a different actor.

As long as rekt is still an arsehole... can't remove that when you guys re-do it. ;)

First of all I made a mistake and called 18.1 an experimental even though it is a minor stable. Arrrgh. So yes, fake news at its best. :cocksure:

The analogy is a bit ridiculous but I had hoped it would also give you the impression that all the experimentals are just relatively unimportant intermediate steps that culminate into a stable. Just like all the minor stables culminate into major stables and major stables culminate into the release version. And in each case the latest version of a lower-level stage is promoted to higher-level stage after it is deemed "worthy" or stable enough.

And the reason nothing is changed before a promotion is that the lower-level version should have been tested extensively by testers AND a larger group of players. If for example TFP would release 18.3b5 directly as a stable before showing it as an experimental for a while, all the changes between 18.3b3 and 18.3b5 would have never been tested against players. Since those changes most likely introduced new bugs the stable would not be a stable.

Ummm.... So 18 is actually a kid and not an adult. but when the kid turns 18.3b4-1.3G4 he is now consider a stork and continues to bring babies to people?

and experimental means your not mentally stable yet?

Ummm.... So 18 is actually a kid and not an adult. but when the kid turns 18.3b4-1.3G4 he is now consider a stork and continues to bring babies to people?

and experimental means your not mentally stable yet?

Are you challenging me?!?

but on a serious note. im really excited about stable A18.3 i wonder what their going to add into the stable???

The compound bow has only 3 I think, and the compound crossbow only one (or two if the ergonomic shaft one works with it.) The arrow rest doesn't work in the compound crossbow so it only has the string mod.

You can also stuff 'The Hunter' and Reflex Sights into Crossbows. And I'm pretty sure there's one more. Rad-Remover possibly?

It's really all about planning. No different than having a bandage on your hotbar. I use the ♥♥♥♥ out of beer on a melee build. For horde night I try to have a grandpa's learn'n elixer to maximize xp gains. Fallout without chems would suck, this is just like that, or diablo, etc. Like anything you can use it or not, but there is no way I'll do dishong towers or the construction site without my Oh ♥♥♥♥z Drops

"Be prepared for those Oh ♥♥♥♥z moments! Fall damage immunity for 2 minutes."

I really love the idea of more consumables, but I see some problems

1. If they are reaction based consumables, you need to use in split second, they need to have hack of a fast animation to be of any use.

2. The usage has to be predictable, or it needs to be used often enought to deserve a spot on the toolbelt.

Honestly I hate the idea of magical candy that does that stuff. It feels cheap and unrealistic. I know this is game, but some degree of realism should apply. Eating magical candy that prevents fall damage feel really stupid. Parachute would make much more sense. You can use assets from airdrops and I reckon decreasing fall speed with it is no problem either.

Aside from that I would replace melee dmg candy with adrenaline and barter candy with cologne

I finished fixes for and testing of Unity 2019.2 (the latest .17 version) today and we will be using it for A19.

The main change players would notice is they fixed the texture compression artifacts, which could be seen in our clouds. Vulkan still crashes on Windows. It takes longer to crash, but it still does and FPS is lower anyway. I tested DX12, but it has lower FPS than DX11 and causes an error with post processing, so that is not ready for prime time.

We do get faster builds and incremental GC works in the Unity editor, so smoother testing for us. Yay!

Thanks! Interesting...

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic