Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Yes we just need to smash the door overhaul. Nobody wants to make 37 meshes for a new door using the current over designed implementation.

You had me at "door overhaul". Can't wait, one question though... WHY did you guys not do this early in the POI overhaul schedule. I honestly expected it to be in this Alpha because of all the new commercial POIs, frankly shocked it isn't, if ever there were a ripe opportunity you done missed it and are going to have to replace even more doors and overhaul all these awesome new POIs yet again. So, oops on long-term planning, the longer you wait the more it is going to bite you later.

Sure I want new doors, have for forever, but omg get on this for your own good. The longer you put this one off the harder it's going to get, and will result in more time/money, not less, in the long run. 

And when you fix the "can't shoot through holes in door" problem pleas fix the "can't shoot through empty clothing rack" problem that should not have made it into the game since these are brand new assets. Like, how did that even get through approval let alone testing? I'm knucklerubbin these points cause I think you can and should avoid them in the first place, not postpone and snowball them into bigger headaches later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Excellent point and probably the very reason TFP errs on the side of brighter. So now we have my preference of 15%, Gipo's preference of 40%, and then some people complaining that night is too bright for them but not willingness to change the brightness to a level that works and giving that feedback.

 

Just... default is too bright! Change it so it works for me!!!

And then when we ask, "What works for you?" the answer is, "Oh, it shouldn't be up to me to change the brightness setting. I only play default."

That's because some people think their way is the gold standard and everyone should do it their way otherwise they are doing it wrong...😅

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'd prefer it was darker, but all the streamers, youtube etc cranked the gamma all the time so people could see what is going on, or people could see in general, even though they were not intended to. What it does is give the game the perception to someone flipping channels is that this game is ugly/washed out. So we make it so they can see, and hopefully don't change the gamma in a way that is super destructive. This could change (its changed every alpha so far to some degree lol).

I think most of us get the reasoning but having a higher contrast between day and night would be an improvement. When you can see just as far and still able to make out colors at night, it is weird. It feels more like it is a highly overcast day instead.

 

All you need to do is tone down things at night and will make a huge improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adam the Waster said:

its in departure 

I think you missed the "don't" in "please don't tell me"...

Plus, I know about that one, am talking about the smaller sattelite one that used to be in one spot since forever and is not now... I even know what it looks like from a dif video, but have yet to find it... but again... "don't", as in " D-O" and "N-O-T", together, as one idea, one course of action, which is to not do the thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mechanimal said:

I think you missed the "don't" in "please don't tell me"...

Plus, I know about that one, am talking about the smaller sattelite one that used to be in one spot since forever and is not now... I even know what it looks like from a dif video, but have yet to find it... but again... "don't", as in " D-O" and "N-O-T", together, as one idea, one course of action, which is to not do the thing.

by now you should by know im not the sharpest tool in Working stiff!

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adam the Waster said:

by now you should by know im not the sharpest tool in Working stiff!

Aw, you'll make it outta the stone age, I believes in you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mechanimal said:

Aw, you'll make it outta the stone age, I believes in you.

im more like a Palaeolithic stage....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Yeah, I hear this a lot, and have felt it too, I just like Nav so much overall that I tough it out until I get better vehicles, and even then the long @%$*#! drives can get annoying/tedious sometimes. Driving by more landmarks on journeys like that fleshes the drive out more and makes the experience far less mundane.

Cities flow like rivers flow, and trees grow. Same natural phenomena at work really. Paved roads are the trunks, dirt roads smaller branches, and then all the POIs are the leaves, and fruit of course. In this case the leaves are too sparse, and I'd say in RWG way too clustered. So a more natural distribution would help on many levels. The RWG changes every alpha, I have faith it will get even better by gold, and I personally enjoy watching Nav evolve through it's changes. ...

... but damnit where the F did you teleport the dang Crack-A-Book... you know the one. Don't tell me, finding it is on my adventure list.

One reason I like the Navezgane world because its handcrafted and POIs, streets and roads are placed in more immersive locations.

 

It's actually nice that then towns/cities are not super dense as it encourages further exploration of the map.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

im more like a Palaeolithic stage....

I actually heard your frontal lobe grow a bit from that response, keep it up, and let Darwin take the wheel (Jesus not born yet, oh, @%$*#!, Darwin neither, uh... maybe skip the wheel part.) @%$*#!, may have lost a few neurons on all this, getting old sucks.

4 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

One reason I like the Navezgane world because its handcrafted and POIs, streets and roads are placed in more immersive locations.

 

It's actually nice that then towns/cities are not super dense as it encourages further exploration of the map.

Yes, agree and I try to keep mentioning that I *personally* like and prefer Navezgane myself, for very similar reasons. I am more trying to figure out why so many others don't, especially after playing RWG by comparison, it can be VERY difficult talking those people into a Nav game ever again after that. I have tried on many occasions, works maybe half the time, and always takes a lot of convincing when it does.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, faatal said:

Common sense is not common. People vary greatly in what they want. 90% of TV and movies have darkness way too bright and it annoys me, but the people I watch with generally don't care.

 

I would like it darker at night too, but TFP is not the Borg. Others have different opinions. Indoors at night it gets pretty dark, so that part makes me happy. Linking the moon phase to the ambient would be cool to get some darker nights, when the moon is not full.

I also liked the dark nights and having to get some gear to stroll around at night. But I get TFP's decision.

 

What I don't like at all is the indoors brightness shift. This feels so unnatural. Some houses have some open parts to them and the brightness keeps jumping back and forth. Also if are near the entrance and step in and out frequently, it just feels so bad how I can't see something I just saw because the screen dims itself.

I would much rather have a fixed light level at night.

Does the moon actually shed light? Could it be darker inside because it shadows the moon? (I'm away for the weekend and I don't remember how it actually is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Aw, you'll make it outta the stone age, I believes in you.

uhm... he's in florida, you sure about that?

  • Poop 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mechanimal said:

.. but damnit where the F did you teleport the dang Crack-A-Book... you know the one. Don't tell me, finding it is on my adventure list.

If you saw the A19 Developer streams you saw the Crack-a-Book...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

I actually heard your frontal lobe grow a bit from that response, keep it up, and let Darwin take the wheel (Jesus not born yet, oh, @%$*#!, Darwin neither, uh... maybe skip the wheel part.) @%$*#!, may have lost a few neurons on all this, getting old sucks.

Yes, agree and I try to keep mentioning that I *personally* like and prefer Navezgane myself, for very similar reasons. I am more trying to figure out why so many others don't, especially after playing RWG by comparison, it can be VERY difficult talking those people into a Nav game ever again after that. I have tried on many occasions, works maybe half the time, and always takes a lot of convincing when it does.

I can think of a few reasons.

 

1) Navezgane is 6k and some players feel that is too small for a long term game, especially in MP.

 

2) Not enough POIs, same reason as above

 

3) Too familiar, all though this only applies to those who have played it recently.  The map has evolved quite a bit over the years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, faatal said:

Same here. Love agility. For BMs I just make murder holes and look them in the eye and stab zombies in the face. When I run out of stamina, blunderbuss or shotgun them a bit or pistol, then back to stabbing. Rotate though targets to maximize bleed damage.

 

Bow is also great now for stealth damage.

Hell yes, bleed stacking with the run speed debuff is a great way to evade harm in long-term battles, and the pistol/knife swapping makes me feel like an assassin every time. Epic. Also Faatal I remember a long time ago you said you enjoyed playing Outward, I tried it and loved it. The permadeath difficulty having a chance at deus ex machina is a really interesting mechanic for a survival game, you never know when you fall in battle if it's the last time you will. Extremely difficult game but it has charms and I enjoy it


So, I need to know guys, is the 44 magnum now a tier 2 pistol, with the desert vulture being tier 3? Or is it Pistol<SMG<Desert Vulture with 44 magnum being in its own category all together? I could really use some clarification, because my current quest reward is choosing between pipe bombs (20) or a desert vulture schematic, when I already have the SMG and 44 magnum schematics unlocked. Game's paused, save me lol. I think the Desert Vulture is better than the magnum since it costs way more materials to make, so I've gone ahead and selected the schematic, and I got 20 molotovs as recompense luckily for doing that 10th quest ^_^

Edited by Trunks_Budo (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, madmole said:

No it doesn't fit the theme of the game at all.

Nothing but dirt and sawdust from construction... but no nothing to see yet, I don't even have back walls yet in some sections. Eric pointed me in the right direction of some trim and roof pieces that made it look so much better. It took some playing with things but I managed to find the right woods to go together because some woods run sideways and some run up and down and we don't have any uv tools yet so getting it to look right has been challenging. I'm taking mental notes for some improvements we can do to the tools and player building work flow though.

Can we avoid broad stroke false statements? Please clarify.

Madmole, in your free time, join me in the mod forums and lets begin design on a 7d2d medieval overhaul mod LOL...  I have a guard tower to add to your tavern...but it was built in A16 and needs a fresh coat of paint hehe...

 

hK2Vhef.jpg&key=5314f3a70c33eabf543c9d28

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

If you saw the A19 Developer streams you saw the Crack-a-Book...

... Well there is, was anyway, the "big" one there. Not sure if either of you are referring to this one or not. If so I mean another one entirely... however, I do remember one of the POIs shown not far from there in one of the dev streams... I really hope that is not it, because that is super crazy far away but also really near the already large Crack-A-Book headquarters, one of the smaller skycrapers. Did they remove that? Cause having both so close together, and nowhere else, would suck. I hope there is at least one other in some other part of the map. I've found none yet, but also not explored much yet either. Hopefully I find one before having to go all the way to that one area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mechanimal said:

... Well there is, was anyway, the "big" one there. Not sure if either of you are referring to this one or not. If so I mean another one entirely... however, I do remember one of the POIs shown not far from there in one of the dev streams... I really hope that is not it, because that is super crazy far away but also really near the already large Crack-A-Book headquarters, one of the smaller skycrapers. Did they remove that? Cause having both so close together, and nowhere else, would suck. I hope there is at least one other in some other part of the map. I've found none yet, but also not explored much yet either. Hopefully I find one before having to go all the way to that one area.

... Explore and find out. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Madmole, in your free time, join me in the mod forums and lets begin design on a 7d2d medieval overhaul mod LOL...  I have a guard tower to add to your tavern...but it was built in A16 and needs a fresh coat of paint hehe...

 

hK2Vhef.jpg&key=5314f3a70c33eabf543c9d28

Squire what do i see in the distance?, a Horde of zombies me lord... Taste Steel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mechanimal said:

You had me at "door overhaul". Can't wait, one question though... WHY did you guys not do this early in the POI overhaul schedule. I honestly expected it to be in this Alpha because of all the new commercial POIs, frankly shocked it isn't, if ever there were a ripe opportunity you done missed it and are going to have to replace even more doors and overhaul all these awesome new POIs yet again. So, oops on long-term planning, the longer you wait the more it is going to bite you later.

Sure I want new doors, have for forever, but omg get on this for your own good. The longer you put this one off the harder it's going to get, and will result in more time/money, not less, in the long run. 

And when you fix the "can't shoot through holes in door" problem pleas fix the "can't shoot through empty clothing rack" problem that should not have made it into the game since these are brand new assets. Like, how did that even get through approval let alone testing? I'm knucklerubbin these points cause I think you can and should avoid them in the first place, not postpone and snowball them into bigger headaches later on.

There is a search and replace block in the editor, and also we'd just overwrite the old prefab with the new and be done with it. It isn't really biting us in the @%$*#!, it is just another low priority thing that could be done better is all. We'll get to it though. A20 might not be anything snazzy at all, it very well could be more new zombies, new/improved pois/art, and lots of bug fixes and QOL stuff, Christmas will be here before we know it so we're already thinking of mainly optimizing, bugs,polish. Like I think we need a store all and store similar function, little things that make organizing easier.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-04_12_27_13_PM.thumb.png.02981e4f776e967056eb8feaeccd7052.png

 

A small progress update on Fort Sage. Loving the new nighttime lighting. :applouse:

Nice tower :)

16 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Madmole, in your free time, join me in the mod forums and lets begin design on a 7d2d medieval overhaul mod LOL...  I have a guard tower to add to your tavern...but it was built in A16 and needs a fresh coat of paint hehe...

 

hK2Vhef.jpg&key=5314f3a70c33eabf543c9d28

That is not too shabby for A16. We've got so many better shapes now you can trim every window and wall now instead of having gaps.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toores said:

I also liked the dark nights and having to get some gear to stroll around at night. But I get TFP's decision.

 

What I don't like at all is the indoors brightness shift. This feels so unnatural. Some houses have some open parts to them and the brightness keeps jumping back and forth. Also if are near the entrance and step in and out frequently, it just feels so bad how I can't see something I just saw because the screen dims itself.

I would much rather have a fixed light level at night.

Does the moon actually shed light? Could it be darker inside because it shadows the moon? (I'm away for the weekend and I don't remember how it actually is)

Indoor lighting decreases ambient at all times of day, not just night. Indoor vs outdoor is a vague concept and the calculated percent is not perfect. The old block ambient occlusion tried to light inside/outside, but was buggy and we disabled. The new system simply adjusts ambient, but since it is a global value, you get the transitioning that we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re doors. I heard you, likely not till a20. Do you think the Jailcell door be returning? And on my wishlist: any chance for a shoot-thru bar/grate hatch?

 

---

 

Was playing around with exploding bolts/arrows in 18.4 last night and noticed each shot raised the heat map by 5%.

 

I'd previously assumed that there wasn't a explody bolt/arrow turret as it'd be too OP, but seeing the heat map rise so quickly, now I'm thinking a turret like that could be kind of self limiting. Use 'em too much and now your horde night also has screamer hordes.

 

Seems like a possible win-win; new, fun!_go-boom! and could maybe crank horde night difficulty up even more for those wanting to...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Trunks_Budo said:

Also Faatal I remember a long time ago you said you enjoyed playing Outward, I tried it and loved it. The permadeath difficulty having a chance at deus ex machina is a really interesting mechanic for a survival game, you never know when you fall in battle if it's the last time you will. Extremely difficult game but it has charms and I enjoy it

I liked it, but stopped playing around 20 hours in. Will probably go back to it eventually, but most likely will start a new game, since the beginning of games is generally the most fun for me and I tend not to remember where I was at anyway.

 

I won't play permadeath. The journey ends when I want it to, which is usually when I get bored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...