Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Is this bugged or needs to be stated but salvage operations does not unlock ratchet or impact driver. I am doing a perception build and perked all the way to 4 in Salvage operations thinking it was going to give me the recipe for the ratchet at least. When I click on ratchet and the perk hyperlink it takes me to salvage operations but does not tell me which level I will need for it.

Since either its bugged cause I don't have the recipe for the ratchet nor the impact driver I am guessing they are both on teir 5? Which does not seem right.

9 hours ago, Gipothegip said:

Wouldn't this kind of depend on your monitor, as well as personal preference?

I have mine set to 40, and it looks about right to me. Not necessarily super dark, but having a light source is still useful.

Excellent point and probably the very reason TFP errs on the side of brighter. So now we have my preference of 15%, Gipo's preference of 40%, and then some people complaining that night is too bright for them but not willingness to change the brightness to a level that works and giving that feedback.

Just... default is too bright! Change it so it works for me!!!

And then when we ask, "What works for you?" the answer is, "Oh, it shouldn't be up to me to change the brightness setting. I only play default."

I feel like some more balancing is needed for the different tiers of weapons and tools. For many things it seems like Tier 2 weapons and tools get skipped over in favor of tier three. A purple stone shovel is better than brown steel shovel because it uses less stamina and still two shots dirt (Level 3 in both miner 69er and Sexy-Rex). I'm on Day 27 and am still using a purple stone axe for looting POIs. I have a yellow steel axe and a green pick axe that I use solely for cutting trees and harvesting. I have several yellow and green iron tools but I never bothered using them. This is partly because the purple stone axe is one less tool to carry around. I'm close to making an auger so even the steel pickaxe won't end seeing much use.

As to weapons, I have a yellow AK that does more damage than a yellow tactical rifle (Yes, the tactical rifle has a higher fire rate but I use the AK with a silencer for stealth kills so the higher damage AK wins out. It's also more ammo efficient. The TR is also bugged when using a 2x scope it with it. It takes longer to switch back and forth from aiming with the TR making it less desirable to use.)  I just crafted a yellow M60 so not sure if the TR will see any use unless I can get a much better damage roll than the AK.  As to the shotties, I have a purple double barrel which is much better than the brown pump shotguns I've found (+7 damage per pellet on the DB). Right now only Q1 pump shotguns are dropping for me so I don't know if the pump shotgun will end being skipped for the combat shotgun (haven't found one and can't craft it yet). 

On one hand, it's nice that the primitive age lasts longer and that the primitive tools and weapons appear to have been buffed. On the other, it seems like the tier 2 weapons and tools that I've found are not enough of an upgrade to be worth using due to stats or stamina usage. That said I need to spend some more time with the iron tools though because I ended up skipping right over them.

I wouldn't mind if it appeared temporally darker as your eyes adjust to the inside.  Maybe 15 seconds or so.

Also I would like the BM night to be the brightest night (assuming it's a full moon) with days farthest between BM nights to be darkest (pitch black would be fine).  Its fun walking around at night with your helmet light the only source of light!

4 hours ago, madmole said:

What is so terrible about Navezgane?

It's not terrible, I prefer to play on it, however I have been trying to understand why others don't, or what could be different about it to help instigate more people playing it over RWG.

I think he nailed part of it, but thinking Nav is too small is weird, I have played long games there and still never explored it all in a single play-through, let alone exhausted all the POIs/loot. Honestly if I did anything to Nav it would be to shrink it, not so much to remove area as much as address the more important point he made that I agree with most: POI density.

Sure there are clusters of buildings in Nav, but they are too few and too far apart at that. The RWG cities are so much more expansive, and I strongly believe that is why people prefer RWG over Nav. I always play my first new alpha drop game in Nav, this is the first time I gave up early and switched to playing RWG, albeit with one of the pregen maps. Why? Because I spawned on the East side, a combo of how sparse all those buildings are combined with my already basing up there and knowing first hand how slow early game is from that area. I could've moved, sure, but unless you shack up in or near Diersvill early game in Nav can take forever until you get a vehicle. Now I like these challenges, but am not always in the mood for them. So I just went pregen and am diggin it, but that's my SP game...

I am also now in an MP game and we are in Nav, preppin for night 14 now, me and a total noob(their first game ever)and it's going really well... but that's mainly because we live in Diersvill. And the new location for *spoiler* is actually super helpful(you probs know who I mean and where, just don't wanna ruin it for others). But I know Nav well, I just don't think it's good for new players on their own, exploring it can be a ridiculous mistake and waste of time/energy more often than not. I just think, in it's current state, it is best suited for experienced players because it is more difficult overall by comparison. Again I personally prefer Nav, I just get why so many others do not.

In summary, and from all my experience in Nav, what might help? I think mostly a rebalance and redistribution of POIs, maybe even not all that much, and you guys could just work on that each coming alpha until gold, and hopefully make it better by then. But rebalance how? There are just way too many long roads of nothingness between areas, simplest fix might be putting, either moving or making new, POIs along the roadways... more akin to irl really. Especially the long interconnecting roads between clusters. I do think it has gotten better, much better, but still needs work, and there can still be patches of nothing, just not so damn many, and the empty areas should be more in-between and away from the roads, not on them. Roads should, for the most part, have the highest density of POIs, but stretched out along them more evenly, not clusters separated by nothingness. Anyway, again I have noticed improvements already, just keep doing that I guess. I rly think it is just minor balance issues in layout. I'll be happy either way, but if we want more new players in Nav then it could help. Plus I predict the Navezgane map will take on a whole new level of "must play" once the bandits and fuller story, with distinct factions and corresponding POIs, are in place.

10 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

It is just common sense and something everyone expects for nighttime to be dark. Sometimes even too dark to go outside without a lamp. It was perfect in A18 and I don't understand why this has been changed.

Common sense is not common. People vary greatly in what they want. 90% of TV and movies have darkness way too bright and it annoys me, but the people I watch with generally don't care.

I would like it darker at night too, but TFP is not the Borg. Others have different opinions. Indoors at night it gets pretty dark, so that part makes me happy. Linking the moon phase to the ambient would be cool to get some darker nights, when the moon is not full.

I tried to play Navz twice, the first time my trader was in the middle of nowhere.

The second time the trader was better located, but it was the low POI density that ended it.

Because so far, I only play eating canned food like in the movie "A boy and his dog" (a strange/funny apocalyptic movie to say the least).  You have to hustle to find enough canned goods!

9 minutes ago, faatal said:

Common sense is not common. People vary greatly in what they want. 90% of TV and movies have darkness way too bright and it annoys me, but the people I watch with generally don't care.

I would like it darker at night too, but TFP is not the Borg. Others have different opinions. Indoors at night it gets pretty dark, so that part makes me happy. Linking the moon phase to the ambient would be cool to get some darker nights, when the moon is not full.

I'd prefer it was darker, but all the streamers, youtube etc cranked the gamma all the time so people could see what is going on, or people could see in general, even though they were not intended to. What it does is give the game the perception to someone flipping channels is that this game is ugly/washed out. So we make it so they can see, and hopefully don't change the gamma in a way that is super destructive. This could change (its changed every alpha so far to some degree lol).

21 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

I tried to play Navz twice, the first time my trader was in the middle of nowhere.

The second time the trader was better located, but it was the low POI density that ended it.

Yeah, I hear this a lot, and have felt it too, I just like Nav so much overall that I tough it out until I get better vehicles, and even then the long @%$*#! drives can get annoying/tedious sometimes. Driving by more landmarks on journeys like that fleshes the drive out more and makes the experience far less mundane.

Cities flow like rivers flow, and trees grow. Same natural phenomena at work really. Paved roads are the trunks, dirt roads smaller branches, and then all the POIs are the leaves, and fruit of course. In this case the leaves are too sparse, and I'd say in RWG way too clustered. So a more natural distribution would help on many levels. The RWG changes every alpha, I have faith it will get even better by gold, and I personally enjoy watching Nav evolve through it's changes. ...

... but damnit where the F did you teleport the dang Crack-A-Book... you know the one. Don't tell me, finding it is on my adventure list.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:54 PM, madmole said:

That isn't a horrible idea. I'm sort of against it because having to find something is good, having a way to solve it easily with money doesn't really force the player to explore, hunt or loot. However the guys all tell me in MP they are starving early game so I can sympathize with some kind of solution, but in SP I'm always swimming in food once I'm past the first week.

It's valid as long as its praise :D But seriously we listen, but ultimately the decisions on how to solve things or even consider them as a problem are up to us.

[/quote]

exactly. That's how a survival game should be. You can't survive by going to traders and spend money? Where is the survival in that.. :)

U should be somehow 'forced' to scavenge for food, drink and cloths.  For me it can't be 'harsh' enough 😛

So far food and water never, but never ever have been a problem in this game for me. Perhaps the only time was when trying a mod where u can't eat meat or cans without a risk getting ill. 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:54 PM, madmole said:

I feel the game is too easy but we're starting to get there. Food and primitive game stage are a big step in the right direction, and stamina felt broke being able to mine non stop with only one rank of sex rex so we made a few small adjustments. People need to not run in heavy armor, not use iron tools until you are ready with perks or food. Otherwise running is very easy with no armor, and so is mining with a stone axe. I level so fast my stamina woes disappear pretty quick, I gain 2 levels a day or more even on warrior.

Agreed :) 

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Yes we just need to smash the door overhaul. Nobody wants to make 37 meshes for a new door using the current over designed implementation.

You had me at "door overhaul". Can't wait, one question though... WHY did you guys not do this early in the POI overhaul schedule. I honestly expected it to be in this Alpha because of all the new commercial POIs, frankly shocked it isn't, if ever there were a ripe opportunity you done missed it and are going to have to replace even more doors and overhaul all these awesome new POIs yet again. So, oops on long-term planning, the longer you wait the more it is going to bite you later.

Sure I want new doors, have for forever, but omg get on this for your own good. The longer you put this one off the harder it's going to get, and will result in more time/money, not less, in the long run. 

And when you fix the "can't shoot through holes in door" problem pleas fix the "can't shoot through empty clothing rack" problem that should not have made it into the game since these are brand new assets. Like, how did that even get through approval let alone testing? I'm knucklerubbin these points cause I think you can and should avoid them in the first place, not postpone and snowball them into bigger headaches later on.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Excellent point and probably the very reason TFP errs on the side of brighter. So now we have my preference of 15%, Gipo's preference of 40%, and then some people complaining that night is too bright for them but not willingness to change the brightness to a level that works and giving that feedback.

Just... default is too bright! Change it so it works for me!!!

And then when we ask, "What works for you?" the answer is, "Oh, it shouldn't be up to me to change the brightness setting. I only play default."

That's because some people think their way is the gold standard and everyone should do it their way otherwise they are doing it wrong...😅

31 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'd prefer it was darker, but all the streamers, youtube etc cranked the gamma all the time so people could see what is going on, or people could see in general, even though they were not intended to. What it does is give the game the perception to someone flipping channels is that this game is ugly/washed out. So we make it so they can see, and hopefully don't change the gamma in a way that is super destructive. This could change (its changed every alpha so far to some degree lol).

I think most of us get the reasoning but having a higher contrast between day and night would be an improvement. When you can see just as far and still able to make out colors at night, it is weird. It feels more like it is a highly overcast day instead.

All you need to do is tone down things at night and will make a huge improvement.

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

its in departure 

I think you missed the "don't" in "please don't tell me"...

Plus, I know about that one, am talking about the smaller sattelite one that used to be in one spot since forever and is not now... I even know what it looks like from a dif video, but have yet to find it... but again... "don't", as in " D-O" and "N-O-T", together, as one idea, one course of action, which is to not do the thing.

Just now, Mechanimal said:

I think you missed the "don't" in "please don't tell me"...

Plus, I know about that one, am talking about the smaller sattelite one that used to be in one spot since forever and is not now... I even know what it looks like from a dif video, but have yet to find it... but again... "don't", as in " D-O" and "N-O-T", together, as one idea, one course of action, which is to not do the thing.

by now you should by know im not the sharpest tool in Working stiff!

25 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Yeah, I hear this a lot, and have felt it too, I just like Nav so much overall that I tough it out until I get better vehicles, and even then the long @%$*#! drives can get annoying/tedious sometimes. Driving by more landmarks on journeys like that fleshes the drive out more and makes the experience far less mundane.

Cities flow like rivers flow, and trees grow. Same natural phenomena at work really. Paved roads are the trunks, dirt roads smaller branches, and then all the POIs are the leaves, and fruit of course. In this case the leaves are too sparse, and I'd say in RWG way too clustered. So a more natural distribution would help on many levels. The RWG changes every alpha, I have faith it will get even better by gold, and I personally enjoy watching Nav evolve through it's changes. ...

... but damnit where the F did you teleport the dang Crack-A-Book... you know the one. Don't tell me, finding it is on my adventure list.

One reason I like the Navezgane world because its handcrafted and POIs, streets and roads are placed in more immersive locations.

It's actually nice that then towns/cities are not super dense as it encourages further exploration of the map.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived