Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

19 hours ago, bobross said:

Have you done MP A19 Horde Night yet? We haven't. We've had Feral Wights and Cops on Day 7, Radiateds on Day 14, and Demolishers in quantity on Day 21 in A18. Sure they've nerfed the MP horde nights. I don't buy it until we've experienced it, repeatedly.

MP Horde nights in 18.4 were broken.......

7 minutes ago, Forgotten Memes said:

Will it be a poi in a20 with bearded zombies falling from the ceiling?

No it doesn't fit the theme of the game at all.

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Looking amazing! :) Got any interior shots?

Nothing but dirt and sawdust from construction... but no nothing to see yet, I don't even have back walls yet in some sections. Eric pointed me in the right direction of some trim and roof pieces that made it look so much better. It took some playing with things but I managed to find the right woods to go together because some woods run sideways and some run up and down and we don't have any uv tools yet so getting it to look right has been challenging. I'm taking mental notes for some improvements we can do to the tools and player building work flow though.

8 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Can we avoid broad stroke false statements? Please clarify.

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

it could be a Face mask! like the nurses lol

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Somehow that slipped under the radar...

Actually, the face mask would make sense for the character that goes face to face with zombies.

The brawler perk has this thing that prevents infection if you "knock their teeth out", but all face masks in the game could lower the chance of infection by a small percentage. Makes sense to cover your mouth while bashing their brains :D

Or (boxing) mouthguard, if the +1 fortitude and -% in infection chance is unfair combination for one tree. Then you'd have to choose, mask or mouthguard.

10 minutes ago, madmole said:

Nothing but dirt and sawdust from construction... but no nothing to see yet, I don't even have back walls yet in some sections. Eric pointed me in the right direction of some trim and roof pieces that made it look so much better. It took some playing with things but I managed to find the right woods to go together because some woods run sideways and some run up and down and we don't have any uv tools yet so getting it to look right has been challenging. I'm taking mental notes for some improvements we can do to the tools and player building work flow though.

Ahh, so you're building in sections then? I've definitely heard of that technique before, yeah.

Well, you put any of my projects to shame; I do not have the same creativity as you, but such is life. Bravo, and keep up the good work. :)

And yes, the more tools the better, those would definitely be most welcome. :)

3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

ture!

For sure! 

Btw I used that POI on nights between 10-13, if you upgrade it enough and add some positions to kill zeds with the time, it could become a really good thing. 

26 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Exactly my point. And since I haven't done one yet in A19 (we're doing it today some time) we have no indication that they're not STILL broken. They say you're always fighting the last war, and we don't have anything else to go by, so here we are. I certainly hope we're in better shape, but until I've had a few MP hordes under my belt, I'm not trusting that we are - not through any fault of the Pimps either; bugs exist.

21 minutes ago, madmole said:

I quoted the context I was referring to if you would have actually read my post you would have seen that... 

"Have you done MP A19 Horde Night yet? We haven't. We've had Feral Wights and Cops on Day 7, Radiateds on Day 14, and Demolishers in quantity on Day 21 in A18. Sure they've nerfed the MP horde nights. I don't buy it until we've experienced it, repeatedly. "

Which, you even replied to also telling him it has now been fixed.... So yes, MP Horde nights in 18.4 were broken.

20 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

My favorite build, believe it or not, is agility, because I find the knife to be such a smooth and stamina-efficient weapon. 10 stamina per power attack, 3 headshots to kill a female, 4 to kill a male, 6 to kill a tank; Extremely fast, accurate, it FEELS like a knife.

Same here. Love agility. For BMs I just make murder holes and look them in the eye and stab zombies in the face. When I run out of stamina, blunderbuss or shotgun them a bit or pistol, then back to stabbing. Rotate though targets to maximize bleed damage.

Bow is also great now for stealth damage.

34 minutes ago, madmole said:
38 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

He was responding to me pointing out the problems in Multiplayer A18 Horde Nights where we were getting, as an example, 17 demolishers on Day 21 horde with five level 19-24 characters. Which you've already stated you've fixed - the post he was responding to was me not being convinced because I haven't seen it yet, and I don't know if there might be a bug in there is all.

8 minutes ago, faatal said:

Same here. Love agility. For BMs I just make murder holes and look them in the eye and stab zombies in the face. When I run out of stamina, blunderbuss or shotgun them a bit or pistol, then back to stabbing. Rotate though targets to maximize bleed damage.

Yesh... Stealth/Agility is so good this release. Even better than before, now with bows being useful as well. Especially before the silenced 9mm is a thing, a headshot to a sleeping zombie, with sneak damage, is nearly always instant death. 

9 minutes ago, faatal said:

Agility is and has been my go-to, with mining on the side. I'm really enjoying ACTUALLY being able to sneak-kill a sleeper with a primitive bow and a headshot. In A18 that wasn't possible really - you needed a crossbow or wooden or better bow to do it. This was the one thing I was concerned about with the slower progression, that AGI playstyle would be broken at the beginning, but once I heard about the buffed damage for sneaks, I stopped worrying about it.

32 minutes ago, toores said:

Actually, the face mask would make sense for the character that goes face to face with zombies.

The brawler perk has this thing that prevents infection if you "knock their teeth out", but all face masks in the game could lower the chance of infection by a small percentage. Makes sense to cover your mouth while bashing their brains :D

Or (boxing) mouthguard, if the +1 fortitude and -% in infection chance is unfair combination for one tree. Then you'd have to choose, mask or mouthguard.

I was thinking the face mask so you can't stack it with str cigar.

18 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

I quoted the context I was referring to if you would have actually read my post you would have seen that... 

"Have you done MP A19 Horde Night yet? We haven't. We've had Feral Wights and Cops on Day 7, Radiateds on Day 14, and Demolishers in quantity on Day 21 in A18. Sure they've nerfed the MP horde nights. I don't buy it until we've experienced it, repeatedly. "

Which, you even replied to also telling him it has now been fixed.... So yes, MP Horde nights in 18.4 were broken.

Broken would be "they don't spawn at all". Poorly balanced would be a better term. It was working as intended in a way I didn't agree with, I brought it up and we changed it thankfully.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Are there plans to add any double wooden doors in the future, or for us to have the ability to place the current doors both available in survival and in creative in that configuration?

Yes we just need to smash the door overhaul. Nobody wants to make 37 meshes for a new door using the current over designed implementation.

6 minutes ago, bobross said:

Agility is and has been my go-to, with mining on the side. I'm really enjoying ACTUALLY being able to sneak-kill a sleeper with a primitive bow and a headshot. In A18 that wasn't possible really - you needed a crossbow or wooden or better bow to do it. This was the one thing I was concerned about with the slower progression, that AGI playstyle would be broken at the beginning, but once I heard about the buffed damage for sneaks, I stopped worrying about it.

We try to think things through as much as we can, but sometimes things do slip through the cracks, or needs another update to finally be complete. Like the whole primitive stage was done in a bit of a last minute balance tweak which is why you don't see any day 90 horde videos by me this alpha, I had to start over a few times to get the primitive loot stage and crits feeling decent so I never got very far. However it was a very important change and even though our implementation is incomplete, part the way there is way better than nothing. Maybe A20 will have new primitive pipe rifles, machineguns etc so each build can start specializing in day one instead of only agility and str as it is now.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

I was thinking the face mask so you can't stack it with str cigar.

Mr. Mole, i gotta admit here that im really dissapointed in you guys and A19.

No medical facemasks or golden Toiletpaper rolls.... ts ts ts

Nah man, having a blast with A19.

loving the new sniper and autoshotty aswell as the changes in the food system.

when im some more progressed im gonna pimp my review on steam with all the stuff i love with this update. gonna be a long list.

Btw:

Happy indepence Day over there for you guys :)

36 minutes ago, bobross said:

He was responding to me pointing out the problems in Multiplayer A18 Horde Nights where we were getting, as an example, 17 demolishers on Day 21 horde with five level 19-24 characters. Which you've already stated you've fixed - the post he was responding to was me not being convinced because I haven't seen it yet, and I don't know if there might be a bug in there is all.

my wife, a friend of ours and I just finished day 21 horde. no demo's yet, feral cops yes, a few irradiated and some soldiers. I will record and post the next one in a couple of days.

10 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

As for brightness... well I absolutely don't agree with you. I don't want to make the game darker in general.

I can tell you haven't tried 15% brightness. The daytime is still bright, interiors are dark, and night time is very dark. Everything you want and it is a simple mouseclick away. Believe me, I would love for that to be default but there's no way I'm not going to change the settings just on principle....

Try it and see. It is ridiculous to not even try it and complain about nighttime brightness. That is what the setting is there for, for crying out loud.

Archived