madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Roland

When you download A19 you MUST start a new save. Maps generated in A18 will NOT work for A19 games. 

Head HERE to report bugs.

Message added by Roland

I have found that coveted cigar during the first week already. Lucky me, I guess 🙂

Moreover, I agree with madmole on the mining issue. A player should not be able to mine 24/7 with iron tools right at the beginning without running into severe problems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

This is true, I double checked after I wrote what I wrote and noticed that. I don't see any harm with it, so I added it to the zombie bears.

wow that was fast lol

1 minute ago, madmole said:

This is true, I double checked after I wrote what I wrote and noticed that. I don't see any harm with it, so I added it to the zombie bears.

Alright, thank you. I agree, it should be a difficult ingredient to acquire, but it shouldn't be so hard that the player throws their hand up in the air and goes, "Well, I'm never getting a cigar then." Lol

The player wouldn't have guns for a while anyway, and then it's up to RNG to give them a Bear den or a construction site POI (the one with the cave), and then they have to find the Urban Combat book to craft a cigar anyway.

1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

I hear ya madmole.  Change is tough.  I think alot of people are still under the mindset that higher tiered items + quality will always be better then their lower versions in every way.  Hard to erase that past experience.

At the same time, it is a bit of buzz kill to find a higher tiered/quality item only to find out it feels slower then your existing equipment.  I bet it feels like a punishment to some...

I haven't done much mining yet so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I feel like they aren't using the tools available to mitigate the problem effectively. If it sucked I'd be the first to notice and it wouldn't have gone out the door. It doesn't, I am the resident miner/builder but I also manage to do loads of looting, killing etc.

Another pro tip: Even basic teas elevate your stamina regen by 15%, so drink up, and then mine. Using too much food mining? Sex rex: waste not want not, and if that still isn't working for you, iron gut extends buff duration and uses less food from exertion.

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Alright, thank you. I agree, it should be a difficult ingredient to acquire, but it shouldn't be so hard that the player throws their hand up in the air and goes, "Well, I'm never getting a cigar then." Lol

The player wouldn't have guns for a while anyway, and then it's up to RNG to give them a Bear den or a construction site POI (the one with the cave), and then they have to find the Urban Combat book to craft a cigar anyway.

Right. Hopefully we can get more uses for these weird and rare ingredients, I hate inventory clogging booger pickers as Rick calls them as well.

Dont know if this is what you class as a bug or its just a quirk my end.

Anyone seeing an odd black line/shadow on some tree's. This was is the snow biome at night/blood moon.

20200703180753-1.jpg

20200703180756-1.jpg

20200703180804-1.jpg

Posted (edited)

I feel like they aren't using the tools available to mitigate the problem effectively. If it sucked I'd be the first to notice and it wouldn't have gone out the door. It doesn't, I am the resident miner/builder but I also manage to do loads of looting, killing etc.

Another pro tip: Even basic teas elevate your stamina regen by 15%, so drink up, and then mine. Using too much food mining? Sex rex: waste not want not, and if that still isn't working for you, iron gut extends buff duration and uses less food from exertion.

i agree with you now. i took you're tips and i went out at night and hunted some wolfs and got me some Meat!, now i can mine "granted with a few breaks of course"

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I hear ya madmole.  Change is tough.  I think alot of people are still under the mindset that higher tiered items + quality will always be better then their lower versions in every way.  Hard to erase that past experience.

That approach has been in A18 and is essentially the same in A19.

What changed is that you needed almost no "help" with stamina in A18. It was trivial to get to a point of infinite mining with steel tools.

Question: Are zombie bear spawns present in the burnt biome? Just curious since I'm thinking of settling there at the start in my next game, which won't be for a while anyway.

has anyone lost all there engines in there generators? i came back on and my Land claim block was "inactive" and i went to check my generator and the engines where gone? (note i play single player!)

i guess the duke came back and took my engines lol  

12 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Dont know if this is what you class as a bug or its just a quirk my end.

Anyone seeing an odd black line/shadow on some tree's. This was is the snow biome at night/blood moon.

20200703180753-1.jpg

20200703180756-1.jpg

20200703180804-1.jpg

No, but I saw some odd black squares and other shapes present on the floor when I was looting a couple POI's yesterday; it was almost like if someone was in spectator mode in Minecraft and they could see the unlit cave systems. It frankly was just bizarre.

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Question: Are zombie bear spawns present in the burnt biome? Just curious since I'm thinking of settling there at the start in my next game, which won't be for a while anyway.

Yes, but enemy animals only spawn at night. That doesn't mean they won't appear during the day though.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

has anyone lost all there engines in there generators? i came back on and my Land claim block was "inactive" and i went to check my generator and the engines where gone? (note i play single player!)

Before/after the latest experimental patch?

Possible? There are no guarantees during experimental.

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i agree with you now. i took you're tips and i went out at night and hunted some wolfs and got me some Meat!, now i can mine "granted with a few breaks of course"

Beer works great too. I got lucky and found the book that removes the effect.

Just now, madmole said:

Beer works great too. I got lucky and found the book that removes the effect.

WELL I GOT A TON OF THAT!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Yes, but enemy animals only spawn at night. That doesn't mean they won't appear during the day though.

Alright, thanks. One final question if that's alright: are predatory animal spawns affected by the culling of animals you perform in your local area? (Meaning if you slay x amount of animals in your local area it takes a long while for them to respawn, much like zombie wilderness spawns. Are nighttime animal spawns affected by this or no?)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Before/after the latest experimental patch?

Possible? There are no guarantees during experimental.

After the patch. i updated this morning!

Had a blood moon going on, and i had to scrap my bed for Springs! i forgot to place a bedrole, went though the blood moon, died once, had to run back, and everything worked fine. until i had to go help my mom and i shut down my PC. came back, booted up game and a roaming horde came and all my Wires and engines were gone!

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, madmole said:

Good change. Cigar is just the one item, but steroids rock and in a18.4 they were a bit too scarce for the benefit. A19' s 10% run speed increase is awesome and teaches us millennials a very valuable lesson: ALWAYS DO DRUGS.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

What was your GS?  I was curious so i peaked behind the curtain and it doesn't look like zombie dogs are in wandering hordes until GS41...

Huh? Zombie dog horde starts at GS 4

<gamestage stage="04"><spawn group="ZombieDogGroup"            num="04" maxAlive="30" duration="09"/></gamestage>

14 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Alright, thanks. One final question if that's alright: are predatory animal spawns affected by the culling of animals you perform in your local area? (Meaning if you slay x amount of animals in your local area it takes a long while for them to respawn, much like zombie wilderness spawns. Are nighttime animal spawns affected by this or no?)

Yes, everything you kill off will need time to respawn.

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Good change. Cigar is just the one item, but steroids rock and in a18.4 they were a bit too scarce for the benefit. A19' s 10% run speed increase is awesome and teaches us millennials a very valuable lesson: ALWAYS DO DRUGS.

Yeah its quite nice, feels like mega crush almost.

• Thanks 1

Have you guys been running into invisible zombies?  I'm having to keep a junk turret with me to kill them or I can't finish quests.

• Confused 1

Yeah its quite nice, feels like mega crush almost.

But do the effects from Mega Crush and Steroids stack? 😄

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

But do the effects from Mega Crush and Steroids stack? 😄

yes and its great!

you are SPEED!

3 hours ago, madmole said:

That isn't an easy rebalance because I manually created the values and have a manual formula to decide the total calories when combined. So anything using a can that gives 25 would need rebalanced, and the cooked foods with cans are very OP already. THe easy thing to do is add some new can to the list and it has 25 calories, some kind of big can o slop thing. Like one of those gallon cans of baked beans.

But here we are, the first version of the game where food was ever an issue really. Should we ruin this in its infancy?

I think the "food problem" is a good idea, but as mentioned before I'm afraid new players will suffer a lot. Your idea of new cans could be a solution if you don't make it in abundance: maybe just on trader vending machine and one, two cans day, tops. This way food would still be a problem and survivors would buy it as last resort for an specific day.

Posted (edited)

@MM

The night is not like the night, due to the fact that now there are very rich colors. It is better to change the night spectrum so that the color saturation is reduced. We don't see colors well at night.

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)