madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

The other injuries I've had aren't too bad, but the broken leg duration is pretty long. I believe it was Madmole who broke his leg in the dev stream and basically had a broken leg the rest of the night and even mentioned maybe toning it down

Huh, 10 minutes? Mine was 45+ after splinting it

Sprained leg was 10 minutes. Wow, 45 minutes to heal a broken leg? That does seem a bit extreme.

3 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

If someone's goal is to have a player-built horde base by Day 7 they can do it. You can mine enough clay and rock or loot enough cobblestone without a heavy investment in Strength.  You also don't need anything fancy for Day 7. I had two-thick cobblestone walls and the Day 7 horde only managed to break one block and damage some others.  

We had a horde base by day 5, used the POI with the chain link fence where the gate is open, placed barbed wire in front of the gate, and I had reinforced the inside of the trash container with cobblestone and wood railings @ 4 high to make a final defense if we needed it.

We didn't need it.  We slaughtered the Z's with blunderbuss shots through the chain link fence.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Perlin_Worm said:

Leg injury is not so bad. You simply need to walk, not run for 10 minutes. It goes by fast.

If the "streamers" I've seen are any sort of reasonable sample size of the portion of the player base that play with blood moon horde nights turned on, "forcing" them to not sprint constantly is going to be a bit rage inducing.

Posted (edited)

I doubt this is intentional and saw this behaviour in A18.

20200702192014-1.jpg

Doors that are flagged as locked/act locked but are visually open in the POI....

Edited by Jay_ombie (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jay_ombie said:

20200702192014-1.jpg

Doors that are flagged as locked/act locked but are visually open in the POI....

That's been a thing for years, including newer POI's. Doggos is one such example. Definitely intentional.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's also fun whacking them in the crotch or the foot and see how they react. 😛 "This little piggy went to market..."

Remind me not to cross you in the apocalypse...😂

Just now, Laz Man said:

Remind me not to cross you in the apocalypse...😂

Very wise of you. I'm just a bored Terminator-esque action hero trying to find some fun in fighting the average zombie that is trying to eat my face. 😛

4 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

20200702192014-1.jpg

Probably an oversight.  Which POI is that?

39 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

It's in the patch notes which can be found here:https://7daystodie.com/a19-official-release-notes/. The top part of the notes explains the major changes. Give it a read.

Here's an excerpt on leveled loot: 

• Tech 0 (GS 1-11) – Primitive tools, weapons and armor including a bow and the blunderbuss.
  • Tech 1 (GS 12) – Iron or similar melee items and armor and and the first proper firearms like a pistol or double barrel shotgun.
  • Tech 2 (GS 50) – The best melee items, bows and armor and mid range firearms like a pump-action shotgun.
  • Tech 3 (GS 91) – The most advanced firearms like an M60 or the Sniper Rifle

Thank you good sir! Can't wait until the full update comes out. Pesky terrain generation glitches...thats the game right? not my gpu?

5 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

20200702192014-1.jpg

Which means you can't close them. That could be intentional or not. Depends on what the designer had in mind.

1 minute ago, CholulaSouls said:

Thank you good sir! Can't wait until the full update comes out. Pesky terrain generation glitches...thats the game right? not my gpu?

That depends. Post a screenshot.

10 minutes ago, Perlin_Worm said:

Sprained leg was 10 minutes. Wow, 45 minutes to heal a broken leg? That does seem a bit extreme.

I think its 45 min if u dont treat it....considering it takes weeks to heal a broken leg irl it's not immersion breaking...

...also encourages player to be more careful and/or perk into parkour.

10 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

If the "streamers" I've seen are any sort of reasonable sample size of the portion of the player base that play with blood moon horde nights turned on, "forcing" them to not sprint constantly is going to be a bit rage inducing.

Sound be great entertainment to watch....😂

17 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You gotta show your dominance, you know?

sounds like the woman that snowdog is around.

4 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

• Tools use? TFP explain this, why does a wrench in which you PHYSICALLY move, cost MORE stamina...then a Impact Driver you PRESS a BUTTON...
Ex - lvl 2 wrench = 45 harvest dmg and 20 stamina vs lvl 1 impact 66 harvest dmg and 26 stamina. Yes it harvests more, but i believe and think many will agree, make the recipe for a impact have a battery in it and make it used like the auger? 

My biggest disappointment with the Impact Driver is that it doesn't harvest like an auger/chainsaw. It would be so satisfying if it was low damage & fast hits. My second biggest disappointment is that it somehow uses stamina. They really should have a battery fuel system for it and the nail gun.

@madmole

A19 is awesome, it's the best alpha yet. Graphics is great, performance is the best in years, content is plentiful, skills, perks, weapons, mods, quests.. there is so much to do! Great Job :) Furthermore there is someting this alpha has that none before had: it feels polished, many systems feel mature and great.

I think there are a few things that would be nice qol improvements:

1. being able to zoom out more in the map
  2. a key to dump all objects in a container if an object of the same type is already in the container

Also I am sure you don't care, but I'll say anyway: I love sledgehammers but hate shotguns, they shouldn't be coupled. The current system penalizes players who like weapons from different classes and facilitates players who like everything from a single class.

Just some feedback, great job anyway! Keep it up! In TFP we trust is back again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Thank you but the only thing that is linked there for me is "Updating to Alpha 19 instructions". Bug report forum should be accessible via link from "home" landing page and not via direct link only.

Moreover, that means my topic in the "old" bug report forum from yesterday does not exist anymore? Oh well... not gonna take those screenshots again.

He means that the bar at the top of this thread has the link to the bug report forum. I will add the link to the Updating to Alpha 19 instructions announcement as well.

Also, the old bug reporting forum has simply been hidden from view and not deleted so your topic is not gone and the QA team can still benefit from your screenshots and there is no need for you to do them again. 

Thanks for both your A19 and forum feedback. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Poop 1
  • Knuckle Rub 1

29 minutes ago, Roland said:

He means that the bar at the top of this thread has the link to the bug report forum. I will add the link to the Updating to Alpha 19 instructions announcement as well.

Also, the old bug reporting forum has simply been hidden from view and not deleted so your topic is not gone and the QA team can still benefit from your screenshots and there is no need for you to do them again. 

Thanks for both your A19 and forum feedback. :) 

Will those bugs from the old section be transferred to the new database? Or are they internally acknowledged AKA "we might not give a rat's tail about them because we have a lot on our hands right now" ?

I have no idea. I doubt they will take the time to move them but I'm certain they will look at them and if actionable do something about it.

• Poop 1

13 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:

@faatal

But what happened to fixing bases that are built above doors , that when the door is open the ai doesn't target the doors and just wonders around?

Doors look like the same issue as using edge poles. They don't get attacked because the AI can walk through them. Added to my todo list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

That's been a thing for years, including newer POI's. Doggos is one such example. Definitely intentional.

Seems odd, for a door to not close. I mean whats stopping it ? - I think it shouldn't be there then if its meant to be broken or laying on the ground at least.

Hello. Congratulation Fumpimps on your latest Alpha. I look forward to playing it. 

I see Roland's new avatar and I can see that he was the little brother getting a noogie! lol. 

• Haha 1

Hey Joel (AKA Madmole),

Are we going to see a video of your gameplay, like fighting on horde night, or maybe showing off your newest base.

I'd love to see that. The older base was nice by the way. Your castle type designs are really cool!

Also, any word on the next new zombie to show up in A19? Is it almost ready for prime time?

Keep up the nice work... Alpha 19 is the best and will bring those positive Steam reviews even higher than Alpha 18 did.

Just noticed this in the b157 update today.

• Player's own turrets will shoot player's own robotic drone

is the drone in? or is that note for there own benefit lol

This game has defiantly leveled up with Alien Isolation as one of my best horror games.

Loving the dead bodies about, and the feeling the POI have with whats happened..

Also noticing these, can I use them as pictures in my own POI ? (tried taking one yet destroyed it)

20200702231250-1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Just watched Reach Gaming vid testing a few bases, wedge tips for walls, fall path, hatches+tunnel, etc.  https://youtu.be/FYmgzwAJVac

Really nice job on the AI changes @faatal , zombie behaviour looks quite realistic with some zs milling about &/or slipping back down on wedge walls, a few falling off wedgetip paths, some saying, oh h3ll no to longer paths and just going after support columns, etc.

And the dirty birds going after the blocks above the player even if blocks are solid, yay! No more limiting z spawns due to a half dozen high flying, untouchable by turret birds. :)

---

@Kosmic Kerman , agree with you re getting enough mats to build early bm base. Good point Builder v Miner, I'm SP only so tend to forget the ability to split the two in MP, heh. Also, to clarify (sry again for the mess of a post) I'm not totally against needing to spend points in order to become a 'good' miner, or even 'builder' for that matter. And you're right about the early cost of 1 point each into mining perks and sex-rex; don't have to perk into Str tree itself for them. It's that later on, to improve mining skills, you do have to buy the Str tree. That part, as always solo miner/builder, has gotten confining, at least to me. So personally I'd like to see Mining be on it's own, and even a distinct Hunting tree/glob-o-perks. Simple example, rw deer hunters can choose bows, handguns, shotguns or rifles. Some states even have special days for black powder.

On the general stamina bit, I failed to distinctly bring up boredom. Very early game there's little to do at night for those hunkering down. Mining has always been the go-to middle of night activity. If stamina burn rate is high, like a17 exp was, then you take a few wacks, wait to regen stamina, take a few more, wait, do that 5 times to break a single block. Nothing else to do so it's quickly tedious and boring. Sure, it's a choice. Can be brave and go out in the pitch black w a torch and loot I guess? Just seems counter productive to, in effect, discourage early game mining. Especially when there are several other ways to insure it doesn't become overpowered or result in too rapid progression.

I like that idea of some kind of looting perk that also affected gathering poi materials @meganoth , helpful in SP for those who prefer to take over and remodel/reinforce POIs, and would be useful in MP for when the miner stays back home.

Edit: from vid looks like TnT is quite powerful against blocks now (never tested this before so new to me). So got me thinking, maybe in future could be possible to use 1/2 or 1/4 sticks to selectively destroy one or two blocks?

Thinking of when folks take over a poi early on and need to destroy a few concrete stair blocks, seems like judicious use of TnT would be ideal, and fun to boot :)

Edited by FileMachete (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1