Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

sorry, if my sarcasm went unnoticed.  I posted that in response to folks complaining about how far the quests were.  p.s. done for the day I guess, lol.  FWIW, Ive got another RWG Im playing that has EVERY quests >1.2k

Traderv3.png

37 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Anyone not playing A19 until stable like me?  I ran it a little bit to see the graphics and look at a few RWG maps.  I like to wait, I dont rush it, I go in slowly.. Make sure I feel every inch, once I cant take it anymore just go right in all the way, hold it, take a break, continue.  I guess in summary the build up to stable is more fun than playing experimental for me. 

I though you were the person interested in all kind of experiments here.. 

So, I got like 14 hours ingame so far, 2nd horde night in my 9x7 2 story shed is gonna be awesome, even got a sniper for a 1000 bucks, but can`t aim at all..got 2nd tier AK, and a book to make some more AKs. Oh, and the one for the Desert Eagle (forgot the name).

Ragdolling is just awesome, saw these couple of girls falling off some glass panels on the roof like a sandbags and charging on me after their brain cells got together. Night time is awesome for hunting or mining, so far found only 2 dislocated buildings in RWG, but nothing too bad actually. No complains so far, time really moved fast on this one, I like that. 

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

im loading a random gen and its taking 99 years!

at least im at 98% on detail height data

Have fun out there. 20 minutes of generation is nothing compared with tens of hours gameplay in it :)

13 hours ago, faatal said:

Turning texture streaming off is becoming a worse and worse option over time. Artists keep adding content and it needs streaming or the amount of people running out of VRAM will continue to increase. Running out of VRAM means some arbitrary amount of textures are being read slowly from system RAM and if it is something important, like terrain textures, your FPS will tank.

Due to this, I removed the texture streaming option today. It will be permanently on. It can still be disabled using the console command for debugging purposes.

I think it should remain an option, the super blurry textures are SO bad, they really ruin the experience. I would rather knock other graphic details down to increase performance if I need to, but I never ever want to turn texture streaming back on, even if it makes me suffer a bit on frames, I'd rather lose frames than look at crazy low detail textures all the time. Seriously they ruin the experience, by a lot.

If the lowered textures weren't so INCREDIBLY low detail, up close, then I could prob handle it, but it is just way too blurry and crappy looking not to ruin everything I look at, I don't give a @%$*#! about frames if all I can see is a blurry crappy world at 60 FPS. 

Please, it's frustrating enough that it is ON by default, but I get why that is important and can deal with that, however removing the option altogether is a PLEASE GOD NO. And no it doesn't count if it requires anything more than clicking a box in options, requiring players to use a command line is a UI failure.

3 minutes ago, beerfly said:

That is strange, can you make a screen btw ? 

i made the map that way with the map! with the "generate map thingy"

sadly it crashed and i just loaded it in when i came back on. 

i just deleted it and going to make one the old fashion way. New map, Name seed, Start!

and im going to have to wait another 90 mins....... IM TO GO OUTSIDE FOR A BIT AND TALK TO MYSELF ABOUT IDEAS FOR 7DTD hahahHAh *crys*

maybe ill think about stunbatons and stunbaton mods!

1 hour ago, Rusrec00 said:

Made a new RWG today.  Trader was literally across the street from where I spawned in.  These distances are gonna be exhausting.

good traderv2.png

Oh yeah, definitely only doable with a vehicle 😛

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Leveled books are coming so you guys won't be finding crucibles or tier 3 schematics on day 1, that should help a bit with the "game over" feeling when you totally luck out, and we can weed out the "1 pocket" stuff or diminish its chance a bit later game so you have a better chance of getting something good since there is a less chance of getting something crappy ish.

As somebody that just found both a crucible schematic and junk turret schematic on Day 3, I am both saddened and pleased by this change. Finding something like that early is always an exciting moment that opens up new options and possibilities for your game. On the other hand, making sure it takes a while before you can find those things is a great way to extend early game and give people more of a feeling of accomplishment in getting to the next stage. 

When I really think about it, I would say that all schematics would not be available for Tier 0 loot and start showing up slowly in Tier 1, much like guns and metal tools.

1 minute ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

As somebody that just found both a crucible schematic and junk turret schematic on Day 3, I am both saddened and pleased by this change. Finding something like that early is always an exciting moment that opens up new options and possibilities for your game. On the other hand, making sure it takes a while before you can find those things is a great way to extend early game and give people more of a feeling of accomplishment in getting to the next stage. 

When I really think about it, I would say that all schematics would not be available for Tier 0 loot and start showing up slowly in Tier 1, much like guns and metal tools.

We've tried the "rare chance" but it rarely feels right. You either get screwed because it never spawns or get screwed because it spawned too soon. Never does it feel right. Well it will when wet get more leveled loot done.

6 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i made the map that way with the map! with the "generate map thingy"

sadly it crashed and i just loaded it in when i came back on. 

i just deleted it and going to make one the old fashion way. New map, Name seed, Start!

and im going to have to wait another 90 mins....... IM TO GO OUTSIDE FOR A BIT AND TALK TO MYSELF ABOUT IDEAS FOR 7DTD hahahHAh *crys*

maybe ill think about stunbatons and stunbaton mods!

A little secret, I went on a small runs, out on the staircase in my 4 story apartment building where I live now, up and down, while waiting my map to be generated. Felt good for the body and mind. All the rage went into my melee build. 

Have a walk or run around, you gonna have fun on next map and if not, you have a pizza from me. 

Just now, madmole said:

Your spelling always cracks me up, so creative! lol. I guess that is what you get when you are on video games forums all day instead of school. lol.

Hahaha, you don't make almost 3000 posts in less than a year without putting effort. This man is a legend.

10 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

I think it should remain an option, the super blurry textures are SO bad, they really ruin the experience. I would rather knock other graphic details down to increase performance if I need to, but I never ever want to turn texture streaming back on, even if it makes me suffer a bit on frames, I'd rather lose frames than look at crazy low detail textures all the time. Seriously they ruin the experience, by a lot.

If the lowered textures weren't so INCREDIBLY low detail, up close, then I could prob handle it, but it is just way too blurry and crappy looking not to ruin everything I look at, I don't give a @%$*#! about frames if all I can see is a blurry crappy world at 60 FPS. 

Please, it's frustrating enough that it is ON by default, but I get why that is important and can deal with that, however removing the option altogether is a PLEASE GOD NO. And no it doesn't count if it requires anything more than clicking a box in options, requiring players to use a command line is a UI failure.

It is still a command line. It would simply be 10x better to restart the game than ever turn off streaming. THe only reason they get blurry is because you are out of vram, and turning off streaming will just kill your pc even further. Just restart and leave streaming on for best results (performance and it won't be blurry for quite some time unless you are trying to push ultra graphics on a potato).

11 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing Texture Streaming with Dynamic Resolution? 

Archived