madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Roland

When you download A19 you MUST start a new save. Maps generated in A18 will NOT work for A19 games. 

Head HERE to report bugs.

Message added by Roland

17 hours ago, madmole said:

The distance might not be ideal yet, but I don't feel like it is all that bad as you make it out to be. In Skyrim if you resist the urge to fast travel it takes the better part of a 2 days to travel to, clear the dungeon and travel back to the quest giver.

I see the issue as you being impatient and having some odd belief that everything needs to be convenient and easy. Like I said the distance isn't ideal, but there is plenty to do along the way and nobody says you need to be home by dark. Instead of complaining about it, you could actually stop to smell the roses along the way, clear a few small POIs, and make an adventure out of it, rather than feeling like it has to get done in the next 5 minutes and creating a stressful situation. In Skyrim that happens all the time you are going somewhere, find a cave and decide to check it out and get side tracked.

I think people get over encumbered, wear heavy armor, and don't eat stamina boosting foods and stamina recovery boosting drinks, then complain about it. Yeah in that context travel sucks, but if you strip off your armor and don't get over encumbered, eat a stew chased by a coffee you can sprint 1.5 km in about 2 minutes, its nothing. Mega crush and its 1 minute or so. We've provided tools to make traveling long distances feel reasonable, use them.

I feel like having a quick way to shed armor or save loadouts so that you can equip or remove from inventory (and failing if the pieces aren't there/you don't have enough room) would go a long way toward more people doing that. I tried doing it myself a few times, but it dramatically slows down the pacing of everything when you have to navigate menus and drag half a dozen things around every couple of minutes if you decide to fight what you come across, explore a POI, or get surprised by a sudden horde. Of course, programming that when any given piece of equipment is modifiable could be a logistical nightmare, so eh.

I just feel like this sort of advice isn't really all that applicable to a lot of people. There are plenty of people who are minimalists when it comes to inventory and don't want to take up half their backpack slots with stuff designed to make travel suck less when travel could just suck less to begin with, you know? I personally always carry coffee with me since I'm an explorer by nature, but I think it's important to think about how other people might not have the same views we do, and it can be counter-productive to effectively say, "You're doing it wrong, do this."

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Reveal hidden contents

7_Days_To_Die_2020-07-01_3_03_47_AM.thumb.png.1a1c6c6c83e8b8d238088c0b2d876f7a.png

My day 7 horde base.

Mine is nearly the same. Every 2 blocks out from tower ive put a 1 block high wall all around, 4 times. Jumping Z's to slow them down.

• Like 1

Haven't chimed in here for many months, but wanted to get out a few thoughts of my experience so far in A19.  

Overall, the feel of A19 is really good. I'm playing on all default settings right now, and it feels more difficult than A19. I feel like I'm constantly being swarmed by zombies wherever I go.  I couldn't even set up my first stash spot without a steady flow of zombies coming at me.  

Loot feels OP.  Even though guns aren't in the loot table early on, everything else can be found in abundance.  I have unlocked so many schematics, books, found all the good mods, build up a large cache of bullets, and Im only on day 3. Loot needs to be toned down overall during the first 7days.  

adjust loot abundance in options

2 minutes ago, Thecolours said:

Haven't chimed in here for many months, but wanted to get out a few thoughts of my experience so far in A19.  

Overall, the feel of A19 is really good. I'm playing on all default settings right now, and it feels more difficult than A19. I feel like I'm constantly being swarmed by zombies wherever I go.  I couldn't even set up my first stash spot without a steady flow of zombies coming at me.  

Loot feels OP.  Even though guns aren't in the loot table early on, everything else can be found in abundance.  I have unlocked so many schematics, books, found all the good mods, build up a large cache of bullets, and Im only on day 3. Loot needs to be toned down overall during the first 7days.  

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I agree endless loops and malfunctioning AI is no fun but creating a funnel and then setting up traps that slaughter the waves as they advance is what I call a kill corridor. You can have a corridor that they follow and die that does not utilize endless loops. If, in my picture above, the enemies kept looping back after going 2/3 of the way and walking through the traps over and over again until they died with no chance of breaching the base then that would not be fun but that doesn't make the corridor itself bad. The devs just need to fix behavior that isn't acting properly.

Even in your preferred style where they just break against your defenses in a ring all around your base if they stopped advancing and walked away aimlessly for no reason then your style would be no fun as well. But we wouldn't say your style was cheesy or bad--we would say the zombies are glitching.

I agree with you completely and If I was unclear in my post I apologise. 

I get quite the kick on seeing the waves of zombies coming to get me, know that they have a way to get to me and knowing if I have screwed up, I will be a zombie snack.

I was unclear with the way I build. I always have a way into my base to stop them from just breaking through my walls lol.

So I will have a maze of death and a tower in the middle that they can get to me at, I call it my last stand tower but they can always path through the maze to get to me. 

I just always hope that the defences I build plus the damage I do is enough to stop them, if not they punch a hole into my tower climb my ladder and either kill me or destroy my stuff or both.

Although truth be told, I tend to do more damage to my base if I use pipe bombs than they do but there is nothing more satisfying see zombie bits flying through the air.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the discussion about the Gamesparks DLL use of the open source library  WebSocket4Net/SuperSocket  , specifically the potential of remote execution, file transfer, and user detail collection ?

There is a discussion in the 7dtd steam discussion board in progress (extract below).

I'm looking forward to A19, but this is a worry .

[props to Solorvox / sub0pengu] " Just a quick look at DLLs it appears Gamesparks is using an open source library WebSocket4Net/SuperSocket

• Websockets is using port 443 and what appears to be HTTP proxies, likely IP I posted above
• Sockets appear to using: live-xxx.ws.gamesparks.net and wss:/preview-xxx.ws.gamesparks.net/ I recommend DNS blackhole of gamesparks.com and gamesparks.net domains
• GameSparks.Platforms.PlatformBase list of data they appear to be collecting:
DeviceOS, DeviceName, DeviceType, UserID and GSData of "DeviceStats"
◦ uniqueID is set to base.gameObject.GetComponent<PlatformBase>().DeviceId hash of hardware device information
◦ DeviceStats: IsDedicated, game version/build, platoform, OperatingSystemFamily, OperatingSystemFull,ProcessorType,ProcessorCount,ProcessorClockMHz,
SystemMemoryMB,Country,Language,EacActive,GraphicsDeviceVendor,
GraphicsDeviceName,GraphicsMemoryMB,GraphicsVersion,GraphicsShaderLevel,
ScreenResolution (height,width/etc),FullscreenMode

• Has a possible remote execution via WebSocket4Net.Command.Binary.ExecuteCommand()
• File upload and download ability via GameSparks.Core.FileUploader/Downloader
• GameSparksManager sends PlayerDetails object, contains display_name, userEmail and userID

Edited by nemo888 (see edit history)
  • Dislike 5

19 hours ago, madmole said:

Make sure dynamic resolution is off, and set the resolution to 1080.

Sorry, but this issue has actually been plaguing me through every Alpha  since i started in A16.

Dynamic resolution in A19 has nothing to do with it.

I'm just kinda stumped on what is causing it. I've even tried to change the values in Regedit and it still happens, on both A18 and A19.

I finish my day one new game, I love the new graphics, and I like what you have done with working stiff. It is all great, but I notice that Blunderbass was occassionally not sync with sound, Zombie looking at your is kinda creepy/ odd. Once i notice that I was in same room as zombie, but she walk out of room even after I hit melee they still keep walking out. 

• Like 1

I can't believe my eyes...

I have found flat land outside of a town... A small plateau in the forest biome. Legit, completely flat, at least 100x150 blocks around.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, madmole said:

Uh.. so use the quest system that takes you to every trader in the game?

Well I used to use the quests, but I started on a harder setting with A19 and had no quests at all on start up, I thought that was normal being a harder setting am I missing something ?

* I decided to scratch current game as things seemed funky and I reinstalled starting again and left things on default as well. I now have quests....  :)

Edited by Jay_ombie (see edit history)

Where is the correct place here to post screenshots of misspellings in the game? Dev team even interested in getting such?

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Then don't use them? Pretend they are broken.

That's like telling a crack addict to pretend those rocks...are only rocks....lol

5 minutes ago, KuriousTurtle said:

After playing several hours on @MechanicalLens IceFire RWG map, I highly recommend it. I’m glad you mentioned it. Most likely going to be my go to map from now on

IceFire was an incredible map in A18 as well. 🙂

8 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Lmao candy is awesome, though I tend to not abuse them because some are OP but I'll take some rock candy all the time. 

You should! It really is different. In some testing I did just that what you said, seeing where some loot holes are, I haven't found anything glaring obvious yet though. I started one just a little bit ago, going to never visit a trader and see what happens.

The biggest deal I think  would be collecting book and schematics, and dealing with RNG just thinking about it, and food early on, and vehicle delay as crafting will be the only option.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Yeah, I can totally see how it being a quest with the objective floating in text in the top right of your screen adds some artifical incentive to doing it now now now!  What else is a new player going to do but exactly what "Clippy" is telling him to do and whether the number in the top right says 600m or 1.4km or 2km they are going to spend all their time reducing it to zero before doing whatever else.

I'm so glad I ditched Word years ago....

You would be surprised what they do.

I remember reading Skyrim previews from people who got to play it a few months before launch at pax or something and they talked about getting distracted by POIs or random events on the roads that kept them from following the quest. I end up with 50 active quests in Skyrim all the time, so it depends on play style. I think more veterans are going to run to the trader because they know the trader makes the game easier. It is why people settle together IRL, so they can trade goods and services and not learn 500 different tasks just to have meat, grain, fish, candles, tools, clothing, etc.

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Now I challenge you to put on an Arnold persona every time you interact with a trader. Be sure to include as many references and quotes as possible. ;)

Arnold would make a great commentator for the initial starter quests though, commanding you step by step.

"AAAHHHHHHH! SHOW DAT GRASS WHO'S BOSS! FASTER, FASTER, THEN CRAFT DEH BEDROLLLL!!! AAAAAARRRRRRHHHH!"

I always go to the trader and say "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle". lol

• Haha 2
  • Knuckle Rub 1

well different topic for me. playing mp with wife and a friend. I am hosting the game. after 4 hours of play, we started having visual glitches.. we were trying to do a quest, but we had blocks showing up that we could walk through. blocks that just werent there, but didnt let us see a damn thing. I made a short vid if necessary. kicking everyone off and restarting the game cleared it up.

specs are

ryzen 5 2600

16gb ram

on an ssd drive

radeon rx5800.

Posted (edited)

My random thoughts  on recent topics:  .

Cheese - with freedom comes great responsibility...

If something is "cheesy" and "ruins" your game experience, and you continue to use said cheese, that's a you thing.  If something is broken, i.e. pathing errors, that's a TFP thing

Quest distance - works great, sometimes your just gonna get a bad batch, damn RNGeezus.  I've had quests where I had several under 500m away and days where nothing was under 1.2k.  I love Roland's idea of having the Trader quest not show up until a later time so people take the first day-ish to explore and setup base, without feeling the "need" to get there ASAP.

Loot balance - my biggest issue with the game is storage, but admittedly I'm pretty ADHD and struggle leaving anything behind in case "I might need it later,"  so I love both the primitive focus early game and the seemingly less loot overall.   I currently lower loot abundance to compensate.

Trader quest rewards - I vote we keep the good Trader rewards though as I think its favor for the extra effort/time involved.  What I think would be nice in the future would be easy medium and hard quests with difficulty appropriate rewards. 

Vehicles using stamina - Still not sold on its value, but so far hasn't been game breaking for me.  I still say the best answer is to have the electrical storm from BM disable all vehicles except bicycle

P.S. The Fun Pimps are doing OUTSTANDING work!  Thanks for another brilliant update folks!  I cant wait to see what you come up with next.

Edited by Rusrec00 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

New Vram algorithms (drivers) are coming up for this year's RTX releases and AMD is soon to follow. That means less bumps and more stable performance for the same amount of VRAM.

I not only have to exit just after generation in order to not see squared trashcans and extra blocks everywhere, I even run out of potato juice when exploring a bit too much sometimes and things start to get "squared" again.

I wish we had an option to delay the loading screen just after generation and let the game automatically perform the reset/vram cleaning internally.

How hard is it to just exit the game and reload it? I am usually afk anyway and its noon by the time I notice my game started, so I start a new game using the same seed I just baked. Like I start a new game when I'm going to dinner so when I come back it's ready to play so I just start a new one using the map and delete that save.

6 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

@faatal Do you have any plans to fix the killing corridor that some people use to exploit that AI?

I know its a way to play but I find it so so cheesy.

Those will always be possible. The goal is to make enough random AI that no one trick is 100% successful.

6 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

The AI sometimes does not know how to path in it and does endless loops and so is no challange, but I suppose to each their own.

I prefer them breaking them against my defences.

You should call that a cheese corridor, big difference. Cheese tactics should not persist, but solid ones like a true kill corridor should, with the goal of them not being 100% effective, or at least not for very long or at a cost that is easily sustainable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

well different topic for me. playing mp with wife and a friend. I am hosting the game. after 4 hours of play, we started having visual glitches.. we were trying to do a quest, but we had blocks showing up that we could walk through. blocks that just werent there, but didnt let us see a damn thing. I made a short vid if necessary. kicking everyone off and restarting the game cleared it up.

specs are

ryzen 5 2600

16gb ram

on an ssd drive

radeon rx5800.

A known bug. The imposter models dont despawn when near them.

Should be fixable in the next versions.

12 minutes ago, madmole said:

Those will always be possible. The goal is to make enough random AI that no one trick is 100% successful.

So basically make zombies have random AI

like say AI from A12 to A19??? Dumb and smart!!

that would be cool and would make some people happy for having dumb zombies again!

but i can't wait for all the new special zombies that may come out in the future (i have many ideas for them :) )