Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

57 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

I been in my first RWG game since A19 and on day 7, I encountered two cities but not a single Trader yet... ?

Yeah, I (dont usually but did) the trader quest, and it led me to a 3 story motel instead

I have a few innocent questions.

Where can we report bugs ?. Why was there a halfarsed ugly limiting problematic bug database made for a19 that doesn't allow us to comment in order to better help others' bug reports and most importantly : why isn't it working now? 

3 hours ago, Ranzera said:

I generally don't look at the RWG maps myself. I do, however, check out my first few to see if patterns emerge. All evidence so far suggests that A19 RWG biome placement is even less random than A18. Sure the lines might be drawn algorithmically but you always go to the same area on the map for each biome. At least in A18 you didn't know which way to run to get to the biome you're trying to find.

Map Generators like Nitrogen will be better than RWG until you manage to create something resembling what you had in A16. 

Nitrogen is more exciting but NOT more polished. As a shippable product Vanilla worlds are more bug free. New players won't be comparing RWG worlds, they will be looking at anomalies and being critical about the few eyesores that exist in the world. That's why Vanilla is better for the base game. Nitrogen has too many POIs with no joining driveways, merged POIs and odd elevations while  being more exciting. And while Vanilla cities are basic, they are not chaotic like Notrogen. One wonders why the fun pimps don't use the same generation method and refine it to their standard. At least they  could come to a better finished product. 

55 minutes ago, MajorMunchy said:

why do people skip this? it gives you 4 free skill points....

I skip it purely in an effort to pump up the difficulty in any way possible. I find that by not doing the quests this helps me in a number of ways, not just by forcing me to stumble across the trader, but also by removing the effortlessly acquired '4 free skill points'.

5 hours ago, Perlin_Worm said:

One questionable balance concern is why are Bows sneak damage so over the top without perks? Why would I spec agility if I can already one shot without any investment?

Also, crafting First Aid bandages are too easy to achieve. I believe it is only 3 perk points now. In addition, only 1 aloe to make a First Aid bandage? Why so easy now?

Because more is better? I see your point, but people might try it and just flat out think it sucks, and it's DPS is horrible compared to a blunderbuss, so its probably that way so unperked it draws them into the stealth spec.

I rarely craft bandages there are plenty enough in loot. By the time I find the schematic I'm swimming in kits. I've never bought the perk to craft them. We're making auxiliary perks cheaper so they are tempting at least instead of late game meh.

1 hour ago, WarWren said:

Nitrogen is more exciting but NOT more polished. As a shippable product Vanilla worlds are more bug free. New players won't be comparing RWG worlds, they will be looking at anomalies and being critical about the few eyesores that exist in the world. That's why Vanilla is better for the base game. Nitrogen has too many POIs with no joining driveways, merged POIs and odd elevations while  being more exciting. And while Vanilla cities are basic, they are not chaotic like Notrogen. One wonders why the fun pimps don't use the same generation method and refine it to their standard. At least they  could come to a better finished product. 

I'm sure if we could peek into Robert's head we can find out the masterminds grand plan hehe...

On a more serious note...another thing people forget is the devs have to make a game that's performant to work across a certain range of systems while nitrogen has no such restrictions.

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

question for everyone?

do you only find level 2 knuckle Wraps???? 

I found some blue ones today, repaired and sold.

2 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Wish we could NAME our own Weapons and Tools... Please let us do this.. :)

I been in my first RWG game since A19 and on day 7, I encountered two cities but not a single Trader yet... ?

Uh.. so use the quest system that takes you to every trader in the game?

I want to like RWG. I've spoken at length on why RWG is better on a foundational level. That doesn't change that in it's current form, RWG is woefully inadequate. 

It can only generate very small maps.

It can only generate biome maps in one general shape and roughly the same layout every single time.

Nitrogen has flaws. Foundational flaws actually. Those flaws are more easily overlooked because it does Random better than "Random" World Generator. I care less about whether the drive way lines up with the road because I actually have a sense of adventure and discovery on Nitrogen Maps. I used to have this feeling in A16 RWG. But then, along with a lot of other great things, TFPs took it out behind the shed and shot it in A17.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@madmole One thing that i really don´t like. The on screen markers. Simply said they are just ugly. Will we get the option to turn those off? They ruin the whole look of a very good looking game.

No. Very easy to mod out though.

1 hour ago, Tetrameth said:

Yeah, I (dont usually but did) the trader quest, and it led me to a 3 story motel instead

You might want to stop playing A18 maps.

2 hours ago, Ranzera said:

I want to like RWG. I've spoken at length on why RWG is better on a foundational level. That doesn't change that in it's current form, RWG is woefully inadequate. 

It can only generate very small maps.

It can only generate biome maps in one general shape and roughly the same layout every single time.

Nitrogen has flaws. Foundational flaws actually. Those flaws are more easily overlooked because it does Random better than "Random" World Generator. I care less about whether the drive way lines up with the road because I actually have a sense of adventure and discovery on Nitrogen Maps. I used to have this feeling in A16 RWG. But then, along with a lot of other great things, TFPs took it out behind the shed and shot it in A17.

Look at the Flowers..

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

You might want to stop playing A18 maps.

Nice try, but it was an A19 map.

Every single incremental update I flush the entire game directory using the provided 'loader' you included (this includes settings, savegames and generated worlds)

To be brutally honest with you, in actual fact, I flush the entire world each time my char dies. (my way of playing 'dead is dead')

You just said yourself that it has more issues than we have, yet wonder why we aren't inspired? Like I said all hands on deck to get RWG fixed for A20. Its a complex problem with a lot of interacting systems with future plans you guys aren't even aware of. You can't just copy/paste stuff and have it work, it has to be developed with all the features you need in mind, and integrated with all the game systems. For the record I'm not a fan of middleware, mod ware, etc. It just never works out when you have a seriously customized engine you licensed... Unity doesn't give out source and if you do change it after licensing it, you basically are saying no more new unity updates for us, or a difficult merge. So its best to just code our own things.

uhm comparing questing in here to skyrim is foolish. skyrim doesnt have a time constraint that leads to horde night. early game, 1.7 km is almost a day away. then do the questing and almost a day back. that is alot of time away spent mostly traveling early on. most level 1's should be under 1 km. perhaps even level 2's. I mean once you reach level 2, you are gonna be traveling far enough to find the next trader anyways

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

uhm comparing questing in here to skyrim is foolish. skyrim doesnt have a time constraint that leads to horde night. early game, 1.7 km is almost a day away. then do the questing and almost a day back. that is alot of time away spent mostly traveling early on. most level 1's should be under 1 km. perhaps even level 2's. I mean once you reach level 2, you are gonna be traveling far enough to find the next trader anyways

There's probably a Backstreet Boys Reunion tour for that tbh (the M word is vorbotten here).

Lets not blow the distance out of proportion. 1.7km is about 2 game hours of sprinting naked and less than that if you're using roids or mega crush. The return trip might suck though, if you're encumbered. I agree that traders should probably try to prioritize a closer POI for one of their offered quests though.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

You just said yourself that it has more issues than we have, yet wonder why we aren't inspired? (...)

Yep, just had a friend DM me about his RWG world issue that he was playing 4 hours on. He had duplicated POIs (i.e., two POIs merged into the same POI), some cave POIs that collapsed on him, lots of missing blocks with phantom block replacements, then told me it was made from the new Nitrogen update for 19. It's nifty and an awesome tool, but not perfect. Same as RWG, but at least it works functionally *shrug*

7 minutes ago, Ranzera said:

There's probably a Backstreet Boys Reunion tour for that tbh (the M word is vorbotten here).

Lets not blow the distance out of proportion. 1.7km is about 2 game hours of sprinting naked and less than that if you're using roids or mega crush. The return trip might suck though, if you're encumbered. I agree that traders should probably try to prioritize a closer POI for one of their offered quests though.

that depends on terrain. 2 hours over flat land, much longer over mountains. also, you have to take time out for encounters, such as dogs and the like. and I am not talking about rngesus helping out with roids or mega.

1 minute ago, wolfbain5 said:

that depends on terrain. 2 hours over flat land, much longer over mountains. also, you have to take time out for encounters, such as dogs and the like. and I am not talking about rngesus helping out with roids or mega.

I've been getting a lot of both tbh. I'll give you the mountains though.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

universal answer. 
Do you think it is possible to add graphic settings to the game, the level of color saturation, from black and white to rich, as it is now? Like in dying light.
I dont like the texture of ground in the desert. colors are too rich. The desert is just red.  let's say I would set the saturation to 70-80% and everything in the game would look great

33 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Yep, just had a friend DM me about his RWG world issue that he was playing 4 hours on. He had duplicated POIs (i.e., two POIs merged into the same POI), some cave POIs that collapsed on him, lots of missing blocks with phantom block replacements, then told me it was made from the new Nitrogen update for 19. It's nifty and an awesome tool, but not perfect. Same as RWG, but at least it works functionally *shrug*

That’s very unfair. Nitrogen is a great tool and a lot better than the ingame one. It was updated 2-3 hours after release of A19 EXP and it still worked very well. What do you expect? No bugs 2-3 hours after release?

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived